Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

From hell Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » General Discussion » From hell « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Justin Ikert
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my question has to do with the movie From Hell. It is about the symbol that is on the ripper's case and is on the rings from the movie. i was wondering if anyone knows anything about the symbol and if it has a meaning or is it just something they cam up with for the movie, please let me know. thanks--

Shelley Wiltshire
Detective Sergeant
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Justin,
Sorry it's taken so long for someone to reply to your post, i think the symbol was just a mishmash of symbols used by the masonic order at one time, the story in the 'From Hell' movie was the same old hat of the embroilment of the Royal Family and the masons covering up for them. My cousin was actually in the masonic order and he spoke of the order being so secretive, that if you were to speak of it's secrets and ways you would have your tongue cut out...I shall have to have a word with him ( as i think he is no longer a mason now), as it would be very interesting to find out what he has to say about the order. Also masons were invited and chosen, you had to be a prominent figure in society with land and money also in some cases. I hope this may help.
Regards
Shelley
Criminology Student

Mary G
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your inducted into the Mason's then your one for life. You may not be active in your community of fellow mason's but you'll always have a place if you wish to participate. The symbols on the case, ring, and in the book that Johnny Depp's character reads were all masonic symbols. I know because my dad is a mason. What really got me about that movie was that they showed how people were inducted into the masons when no one really KNOWS how people are inducted. But I guess they had to sacrifice making everything factually correct to add more interesting elements like there being a secret society that may have a hand in the murders. But all in all, From Hell is one of my favorite movies, and I hope the long rant on masonic symbols helped.

Best,
Mary G
aspiring writer.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.