Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Is it just me or is this unneccessary? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed (Cornwell, 2002) » Is it just me or is this unneccessary? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Michetti
Detective Sergeant
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... I'm (stupidly) making my way through the Cornwell book and I hit this paragraph:

"I'll shoot you in the mouth, bitch, because I'm tired of hearing you nag. I'll throw your body in the tub and dump acid all over it, you c*nt. That's what you get for screwing around on me. I'll stab you in the eyes because I'm tired of you staring at me. I'll drain your blood and drink it because aliens are taking all of mine. I'll dismember you and boil you piece by piece so I can flush you down the toilet and no one will ever know. Hop on the back of my Harley, you slut, and I'll take you to a motel and cut you hundreds of times with a razor and scissors and watch you slowly die, because that's the initiation I gotta do before I can be a member of the gang."

The next paragraph starts:

"Mary Ann Nichols' wounds tell us that the Ripper did not want her to struggle or scream..."

What the heck was that all about anyway? I don't even feel like finishing the book after reading rubbish like that. I guess I'm preaching to the choir here, though! :-)
Chris

Ally
Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, chris, chrissy,

Do not try to make sense of the Cornball. She is a fiction writer with the pretense of writing a non-fiction book. She doesn't understand that she really can't go off into flights of fantasy like that in a non-fiction book. Of course, I am not altogether convinced that she understands the difference between reality and make believe anyway...

Kisses,

Ally

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ally,

Very well said. Hey, what's with the kisses?? Don't forget, he's spoken for.

Mikey

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

I had to put the book down several times for the same reason. It was so hard to get through the bullsh*t hoping that she was going to have something important to say somewhere. She never did.

Mikey

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Michetti wrote:
"What the heck was that all about anyway?"

Mental break? Stream of consciousness writing? Bad cut and paste while trying to assemble a poorly-researched book on a tight deadline to meet promises hastily made on television?

I don't know, but anytime I read anything of hers related to her Ripper theory I just keep thinking, "This woman *writes* for a living? How is that even possible?"

Chris Michetti
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL Mikey, thanks for the hope... now I know I'm wading through the same crap for nothing :P

"...aliens are taking all of mine" ???? I think a 5 year old could have come up with that one...
Chris

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 256
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What page are you on????
Jennifer D. Pegg

Chris Michetti
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Page 112 has the paragraph I quoted.
Chris

John Fogarty
Detective Sergeant
Username: Goryboy

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All:

Well said. Ms Cornwell's faction/fiction fairy tale reads like a feminist diatribe rather than a forensic appraisal of the evidence, re Sickert. Whenever possible, she injects a "men are pigs" sentiment into her overall invective. Most disappointing.

Still, I forced myself to read the bugger THREE times in the hope there might be a gem hidden in the pile of bilge she spews. But . . . nada. Zilch. Her mitochrondrial DNA "evidence" is laughable, though she has shed some light on the stationary and watermarks used by various correspondents. Still, her conclusions (and thus most of her evidence) are ridiculously biased.

Cheers,
Cheers,
John e-Rotten
(a.k.a., Goryboy)

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

saw this in biography section at bookshop.
walter sickert must be turning in his grsave that that is the only 'biography' avaible on hi there!
Jennifer

Sooty Bill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be way off base here..I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination..But I thought Walter Sickert had a son named Joseph...Cornwell says he was incapable of fathering children. Can someone clear this up for me?

Jennifer D. Pegg
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sooty Bill
the late Joseph Gorman Sickert claimed to be the son of Walter Sickert and it is part of the basis of the royal carriage theory.

Jenni
"Think things, not words." - O.W. Holmes jr

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sooty,

Cornwell completely misunderstood the medical evidence in relation to Sickert's fistula. She has it on his penis, when in fact it was on his behind. She then draws from this piece of misinformation that his penis was useless, and therefore he couldn't father children. Of course, this flies in the face of known facts, such as that one of his wives left him for adultery. This was the basis for Cornwell's motive, and it was all misinformation, thus her whole case falls apart at the start. Having said that, there's also no solid proof (other than, to my knowledge, his word) that Joseph Gorman Sickert WAS the son of Walter Sickert. I hope this helps.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Robert J. McLaughlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sooty,

All the evidence is that Joseph Sickert was born Joseph Gorman, the recognised legitimate son of a boxer named William Gorman and Alice Margaret Crook. This information is backed up by Joseph's birth certificate. He was born in London, 22 October 1925, and died just recently on 09 January, 2003. Joe was partially deaf and inherited this trait from him mother who was completely so.

The only obvious connection between Joseph Gorman and Walter Sickert is that Joe was a junk dealer, artist, and picture restorer in Camden, and some time around or after Walter Sickert's death, he announced that he was the illegitimate son of Camden's most famous painter. But Joe's mother, Alice Margaret Crook, really was illegitimate, and we have no idea who her father was. It is possible that she was claiming to be Walter Sickert's daughter before Joe latched on to the tale. It is also possible that she was already spinning some royal connection, and it is through her stories that Joe developed his.

I know of not one living Ripper expert who believed in Joseph Gorman's stories (lies). The smartest thing Cornwell did when writing her book was to distance herself from his ridiculous claims. It is one of the few things Cornwell should be given credit for.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.