Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New Release Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Books, Films and Other Media » Non-Fiction Books » Jack the Ripper: Eliminating the Suspects (Morley, 2004) » New Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an advance notice - I've received word this morning of a new non-fiction Ripper book about to be published entitled Jack the Ripper: Eliminating the Suspects. A short description from the author:

"The book covers and attempts to eliminate 130 Ripper suspects, some covered for the first time in book form. The book will be limited to 50 copies, each signed and numbered."

A Casebook review will be published upon receipt of the book. More information will be posted here as it becomes available.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds interesting. I will look forward to more information.
Jennifer D. Pegg

Thomas C. Wescott
Sergeant
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He doesn't need to eliminate Sickert. Cornwell already did that for him. Ha ha.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stephen,

As always, thanks for providing us with all the up to date information! You are wonderful!

Mikey

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack the Ripper: Eliminating the Suspects
C.J. Morley
Privately published, 2004

There are literally hundreds of suspects in the Jack the Ripper case, and Mr. C.J. Morley has taken it upon himself to collect his thoughts on 130 of them in his self-published work Jack the Ripper: Eliminating the Suspects. Morley's research and dedication to the study are evident, though it must be said that the book suffers immensely from a lack of proper editing. Spelling mistakes, sentence-fragments and errors of grammar run rampant throughout the text. This is usually to be expected from a private publication, but in this case the errors are so frequent that it severely interrupts the flow of the book, making it very difficult for the reader to properly concentrate on the actual content of the text.

All of this is unfortunate, because there is truly a great deal of value in what Mr. Morley has to say. He offers short overviews of each suspect, ranging from a few sentences to several paragraphs, summarizing the general case against each and often offering his own views and analyses. It is obvious that the author has kept abreast of the latest discoveries, as he includes many little-known suspects which have been mentioned only in periodicals and on the Internet. Morley himself subscribes to no particular suspect - though he does seem most interested in the candidacies of William Henry Bury and Jacob Levy.

In the end, Eliminating the Suspects has more the feel of an investigator's notebook than of an actual, published book. There is a great deal of useful information contained within, but since it contains no page numbers and no index, and since the suspects are not presented in any chronological or alphabetical order, it would be very difficult to use this as a research or quick-reference tool. Still, if you can muster through the various editorial shortcomings, it makes for an interesting read, and the most comprehensive suspect-overview yet published. (Several of these characters are not even covered in the A-Z.)

As of the time of writing this review, I've been told by the author that some revisions have been made to the text, with several "errors corrected". Some suspects have also now been expanded upon. I've not seen this new version, but would hope that this latest revision includes at least some editorial corrections.

The book itself is printed on A4 paper (one-side only), and bound in a handsome red cardstock. It is limited to 50 copies only, and each is numbered and signed by the author. In a post-script, Mr. Morley mentions that he has been an avid researcher of the case since 1979, and that he intends to begin work on his second Ripper book in the summer of 2004.

The small print-run will no doubt make this a highly sought-after collector's item. Mr. Morley has requested that anyone interested in ordering Jack the Ripper: Eliminating the Evidence contact him at his private email address: CJM196420032002@yahoo.co.uk.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting picture on the cover.

It looks like it's based on Lon Chaney senior's vampire character in the 1925 silent horror/detective movie London After Midnight, now lost and only some stills remains.

Too bad the publication only is bounded and designed in such a cheap fashion; it really isn't that much more expensive in comparison, to turn it into a real book (at least not as expensive as most people thinks), but it takes quite bit of knowledge as far as typography and editing is concerned, of course.

It does cost a bit more, naturally, but not necessarily a fortune, and the result is usually worth the money, not to mention the fact that it gives the publication a more professional look and also turns it into a more pleasant reading experience. Of course it is the content that counts, but for me who works in the business, I'd say A4 format and printing on one side only is not recommendable. A bit of a shame, since the book seems interesting in many ways.
And Stephen is quite right, too many spelling and editing errors doesen't help. Hopefully that has been taken care of in the revised edition.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on April 14, 2004)
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

C J Morley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, I would like to notify those interested, that with reference to CaseBook's review for my Ripper publication, I have since endeavoured to "Eliminate The Error's", in Eliminating The Suspects. I have also included reader's with an index for quick suspect location. LIMITED copies of this book are currently available, and I would request those interested to contact me via the e-mail address - CJM196420032002@YAHOO.CO.UK to secure their copy, and receive ordering details. Thank you for your interest. Christopher.J.Morley

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just hope you carry spare underwear.

c j morley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,Everyone, it's been brought to my attention that there are gremlins at play on the yahoo e-mail address,i gave for ordering details for my publication Jack The Ripper - Eliminating The Suspects. I can now be contacted at christopherjmorley@hotmail.com Thank you for your interest. Christopher J Morley.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.