Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"The sight of a room thus stained"... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » Anderson, Sir Robert » "The sight of a room thus stained" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anderson wrote:

The sight of a room thus stained will not easily fade from my memory. It was the scene of the last and most fiendish of the crimes known as the "Whitechapel murders" in London. Blood was on the furniture, blood was on the floor, blood was on the walls, blood was everywhere. Did this speak to me of life? Yes, but of life gone, of life destroyed, and, therefore, of that which is the very antithesis of life. Every blood-stain in that horrid room spoke of death.

But looking at Sugden's account, I can't see any evidence that Anderson actually visited the room. Does anyone know whether or not he did?

Chris Phillips

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4576
Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

According to the Daily Telegraph 10th Nov, "Mr. Anderson, the recently-appointed Assistant-Commissioner, had driven up in a cab at ten minutes to two o'clock, and he remained for some time."

Robert

Chris Phillips
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 3:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert

Thank you.

The quotation came from one of Anderson's theological works, The Gospel and its Ministry, whose text is available on Alan Newble's site:
http://www.newble.co.uk/anderson/gospel/chap16.html

For obsessive Ripperologists, there are 17 of Anderson's theological works on this site. The above is the only part I could find relating to the Whitechapel Murders, but maybe someone can find more.

I did think this observation had a familiar ring:
Indeed, if error and nonsense were solid, enough has been said and written upon the sixteenth chapter of Luke to sink the biggest ship that ever put to sea!

Chris Phillips

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4578
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, thanks for that link. It's definitely worth combing the theological works of Anderson for Ripper references.

He certainly seems to have had a thing about sinking ships!

Robert

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a very interesting passage. On this point, anyway, Anderson's theology seems at a glance to be quite orthodox.

I should feel a kinship to Anderson since I share with him a theological training but I have always regarded him with contempt. He has seemed to me as one who "can't be bothered" with the murders. He's off in Switzerland and then in France while they are being committed and has to be ordered to return. When he does return he boasts that the case will be solved immediately now that's he's here.

Actually, the police seemed to have the attitude that the murders were not that big a deal. The only reason they were a big deal to them was due to the pressure caused by the press. Otherwise they seemed to take the logical approach that these were only a "few" killings and the victims were of a class that really didn't matter anyway.

Andy S.

(Message edited by Aspallek on June 22, 2005)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.