Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Inspector Cutbush in 1888 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » General Discussion / Other Police Officials » Inspector Cutbush in 1888 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Charles Henry Cutbush of Scotland Yard was directly in charge of common lodging houses, I was interested to find a case where men were being lured back to a common lodging house in Flower & Dean Street in 1888 by ‘unfortunates’ and then robbed of all their possessions - including their trousers! - by a gang of roughs already hidden on the premises.
According to the testimony of the lodging house keeper all double rooms were partitioned, but a gap of eighteen inches was left at both top and bottom of the partition, as required by Scotland Yard at the time, so that rogues were able to slip either below or clamber over the top to rob unsuspecting punters lured there by the unfortunates. One supposes that the gap was supposed to limit sexual activity - just like in many modern day public toilets - but it certainly increased criminal activity.
The judge in charge of this vexatious case was so outraged that he demanded that the relevant responsible officer from Scotland Yard put in an appearance at his court to explain just why honest men could not go back to a common lodging house with a common whore and have a decent night’s ‘rest’ without being robbed by a bunch of varmints placed there for that specific purpose.
But uncle Charles never turned up.
One supposes that he was too busy in 1888 for such mundane things.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4285
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I'd like to find out exactly when CHC became a Super. As far as I can make out from the "Times" it was somewhere between July 86 and July 87. Oddly, the site at http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/police.html
has him as a Super at the Commissioners' office and a Chief Insp at the Met Police Office!

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
uncle Charles was a Super up till 24th August 1888 and then sometime after became an Executive Super... he was certainly a Super during the riots at Trafalgar Square.
His involvement with the Ripper case ended - as far as we know - on the 24th August 1888.
I must go back and have a look.
I've lost all the references now, but I'll find them again.
Yes, I've seen the references at gendocs but I always assumed that uncle Charles had a split personality anyway.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.