Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

1889 Ripper Team photo Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Police Officials » General Discussion / Other Police Officials » 1889 Ripper Team photo « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nina Thomas
Detective Sergeant
Username: Nina

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Jack the Ripper Team
H Division, 1889
http://www.policeorders.co.uk/jrteam.htm

Nina

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I enjoyed this Nina.Pity Abberline isnt on it though!
Many thanks for the find
Natalie

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nina

Thanks for leading us to the Police Orders website which is, they state, an independent website set up to Met police history.

I wonder if Neal Sheldon is aware of this posting on the discussion boards on the Police Orders website?

Re: Jack The Ripper
Date: 26/01/2004 23:04:47 EST

My Great Grandfather's step-father was Walter Frederick Stride (Warrant No. 62349) who was nephew to Elizabeth Stride, Ripper victim, and one of those who identified her body. Any further information would be welcome.

Chris again. A to Z states that P.C. Stride joined the Met in 1878 and retired in 1902. He testified that he recognized in the mortuary photographs a woman who had married his uncle.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice picture Nina
Is it my imagination or is PS Thick on the front row wearing a horseshoe tie pin?
I suppose they must have been very fashionable at the time.
Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thick looks exactly as he does in the Sourcebook photo. Is this latter an enlargement from the team photo? His clothes are of a lighter shade in the Sourcebook photo, but otherwise there's hardly any difference.

Robert

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

I believe you are correct that it is the same photograph. Stewart Evans and Nick Connell used the team photograph in their The Man Who Hunted Jack the Ripper (2000) about Inspector Reid, so it was natural for Stewart to use the close-up of Thick in The Ultimate JtR Sourcebook (2001) that he wrote with Keith Skinner.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3155
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris. If appearances are anything to go by, Thick looks extremely focused.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chapter on "Johnny Upright" in London's People of the Abyss reminds me of Tolkien's chapter on Tom Bombadil.

Ha! Ha! Ho! Ho!
Dave

Mitch Hannah
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In reference to the horseshoe tie pin Thick is wearing. one need only look at the facing page in The Ultimate JtR Sourcebook to see that Major Henry Smith of the City of London Police wears a horseshoe tie pin as well. This would suggest that they certainly were not rare. Just an observation.

Mitch Hannah
Police Constable
Username: Mitch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Allow me to correct my previous post. I should have specified The Ultimate JtR Companion. And the photos I refer to are on the second and third pages of photos following Page 116 in the original hard cover edition.
Mitch

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.