Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Did Abberline see the graffito? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » Goulston Street Graffito » Did Abberline see the graffito? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas Burns
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard, as stated in fact, that Abberline saw the graffito first hand and wrote it down exactly. I have never heard this before and as far as I know there is no definite wording of the graffito? Can any shed any light on this?

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Thomas,

Actually, I must declare, that I've never seen any information saying that Abberline saw and wrote down the graffito. I could be wrong of course, but it would help if you could recall where you've come across this.

There are appearantly two versions of the graffito (with only a minor change). One was noted down by PC Alfred Long and the other one by DC Halse. These are the only reproductions of the graffito that I know of.
For further information and for reproductions of them, se the link "Ripper Letters" on the left meny on this web-site. The graffito versions, and some general information, are shown if you scroll down the page a bit.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Thomas Burns
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I know only four people saw it first hand, namely Alfred Long, Halse, Charles Warren and Arnold. I have never heard of Abberline seeing the graffito as well but someone said it is stated in 'Jack the Ripper: The Complete Casebook' by Donald Rumbelow?

Glenn L Andersson
Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Thomas,

I've checked Rumbelow's The Complete Jack the Ripper (Penguin paperback edition 1988), and I can't with the greatest will in the world find any passage saying that Abberline saw or wrote down the graffito. That must have come from a misunderstanding. You are absolutely correct, as far as I know, in your statement regarding those who saw it and wrote it down. Halse's and Long's are the only reproduced notes we know of.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Thomas Burns
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes that is what I thought but now I am really confused, as I now have not a clue where this person got this information from and I am very curious to find out because they state it as fact. Can anyone please tell me where it states that Abberline saw the graffito (if it states this anywhere)?

Neil K. MacMillan
Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Query: Was Inspector Abberline even involved with the case at that point in time? Neil

Alan Sharp
Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neil, Abberline was asked to co-ordinate the investigations of the Nichols and Tabram killings on Friday 31st August. He was present at the Nichols inquest the following day.

Neil K. MacMillan
Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alan;
Thanks. I was suffering cranial flatulence on that point, Neil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.