Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

17 September 'Dear Boss' Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Letters and Communications » General Discussion » 17 September 'Dear Boss' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

17th September 1888

Dear Boss
So now they say I am a yid when will
they lern Dear old Boss? You an me know
the truth dont we. Lusk can look forever
hell never find me but I am rite under his nose all the time. I watch
them looking for
me and it gives me fits ha ha I love my work an I shant stop until I
get buckled and
even then watch out for your old pal Jacky.

Catch me if you can
Jack the Ripper

Sorry about the blood still from the last one. What a pretty necklace
I gave
her.

The above letter was dated 17th of September 1888, which was the second day of the inquest into the death of Mary Ann Nichols. It was discovered late in 1988 by Peter McCelland at the Public Record Office, in a sealed report envelope. It furnishes the pedigree for the 'Lusk Letter': how it was came to be written and who wrote it. It contains the phrase 'Catch me when you can - Jack the Ripper', and both were badly written, scruffy and badly spelt.

On the 17th of September, the '25th of September' and 'From Hell' letters didn't exist, so there was nothing for a contemporary hoaxer to copy from. How then can the author call himself: 'your old pal Jacky' and sign with the name: 'Jack the Ripper', before those words were published on the 1st of October?

This letter is generally regarded as a modern-day hoax. This modern-day hoaxer should have signed with 'The Whitechapel Murderer', to fit in with the date.

It appears in Paul Feldman's: 'The Final Chapter', which is were I got most of the above information from. Feldman's book says: 'The 17 September letter includes the sentence 'So now they say I am a yid'
The diary says: 'If they are to insist that I am a Jew then a Jew I shall be'

LEANNE

Robert Clack
Sergeant
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Detective Sergeant Leanne

(Since I recomended the movie "Murder by Decree" on another post, I expect to be busted down to tea boy by Stephen)

Here is a copy of the letter.
17th Sept letter

I personally believe the letter is a modern hoax, and there is no reason to believe that it is genuine.
Accordind to Stewart Evans (whos opinion I have the greatest respect for) stated in a letter to Ripperologist (No 16, April 1998);

Likewise the contemporary reports leave absolutely no doubts as to the origin of the name 'Jack the Ripper' and that was the 'Dear Boss' leter received by the Central News agency on 27 September, 1888, There is no evidence of its currency prior to its publication on 1 October, 1888. The 'Jack the Ripper' note dated 17 Sept, 1888, quoted in Paul Feldman's book, is a childish modern production (Keith Skinner and I have examined the original at the PRO) and appears to be written in blue ballpoint! The file it was inserted into (presumably by someone wanting to make his own mark in the field, planting it to be found and assumed to be genuine) is HO/221/A49301C, which is a home office file that contains no other letters. Also there is no covering report or official comment on it whatsoever. It was just inserted on its own. The PRO are extremely dubious about it and as far as I jknow they are looking into it.

Also Leanne if the letter was genuine, I think there would have been a reproduction done, like the 25th Sept, letter. Also there is no mention of it in any official reports or police memoirs.

All the best

Rob

Leanne Perry
Detective Sergeant
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2003 - 6:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Thanks, sergeant Clack! I'll recommend you for a medal!

LEANNE!

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HELLO, Is there anyone out there that is familiar with this program www.killerfonts.com I was thinking of ordering it. Please and thankyou. "gizmo"
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.