Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Maybrick and The American Connection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » Maybrick and The American Connection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerry Maynard
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought this book Jack The Ripper: The American Connection. I havent started reading yet but the cover says that Maybrick was in Texas during the Austin Ripper murders. It suggests he did those and the whitchapel murders. I would be interested in seeing what those who have read the book think of it. This book hasent been talked about on this site so im assuming its fairly new.
Just curious to see what Ripper experts think of it

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jerry

We did review this book in Ripperologist and our reviewer pointed out that the idea of James Maybrick was a murderer in Texas in 1884-1885 actually contradicts what is implied in the Diary, that he was new to the art of murder in 1888 and that he was doing the murders in Manchester and London to take "revenge" on his wife.

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Paul Stephen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jerry

I'm no Ripper expert, but Shirley Harrison devotes just one chapter to the Austin killings, and even she doesn't seem that convinced about it!

It looks more like a publisher's ploy to sell a new edition of an existing book, and with an excuse for a new title.

There don't seem to me to be any similarities with the Whitechapel murders whatsoever, and I personally found it utterly unconvincing.

The rest of the book's a good read though, like the previous editions.

Regards

Paul

Jerry Maynard
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading book. I have come to the conclusion that Maybrick is not the Austin Ripper but I havent ruled out the possibilty that he did write the diary and may be the Whitechapel muderer
Thanks for your opinons

Simon Leadbetter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all ,
RJ , you make a good point , I bought the book in hardback last December as I have been following the Diary controversy for about 4 years now and being more convinced by the Maybrick theory than the others , I tend to snap up any new book on the subject as soon as I spot it . However , after parting with 17 quid for yet another rehash of the original Diary information with the addition of a chapter on a completely unrelated set of murders , I won't be doing so again . I felt thoroughly ripped off especially on spotting one section that had obviously been pasted in from a previous edition without any effort to make it gel with the new text . As you rightly point out , the Austin murders predate the supposed date for Maybrick's first murder . Also , just because Maybrick could have been in the right place at the right time it doesn't neccessarily follow that it was his work . The MO was completely different from the Whitechapel murders and the theory of escalation in the severity of the Whitechapel murders ( as with many other serial killers as they gain confidence and experience ) makes no sense if he'd already killed several victims in the brutal manner of the Austin murders . I don't know if this was just sloppy journalism or ( as I suspect ) a cynical attempt to squeeze more money out of loyal readers , but I won't be falling for the same trick again . Any credibility Shirley Harrison had with me has been lost as a result of this and I can't help but wonder how many times before now good sales have triumphed over integrity regarding the Maybrick/Diary information . Before this I would cheerfully have defended the Diary supporters from their critics , but I'm left feeling gullible and cheated . Let's see more books with genuine new information and less mercenary cashing in .

Constance Bowen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been reading The new edition of the Diary by Shirley Harrison, as well as having read the original many years ago, and Paul Feldman's book about the watch. Now, what I would like to do is go down to City Hall and to the Public Library, and do a little research of my own on Maybrick. I have the distinct advantage at this time to be living in Norfolk, Virginia and having experience with legal research and genealogy. See what I can dig up. The diary seems to be convincing, even after reading accounts of other suspects, as to having a motive,Maybrick's state of mind etc.If anyone would like me to share what I find, email me.
Connie

shirley harrison
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just picked up your post Connie. Id love to keep in touch.....I have a couple of good Email friends over there researching seriously and - important this despite the general belief - objectively. We could all copy findings to each other and also save time duplicating effort. Im working on another book now (unrelated) but the diary will not go away and has become a hobby. my address is shirleyharrison@hotmail,com

I look forward to hearing.

Jon the Ripper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I have to say I liked the book, though it was the first I have read regarding the diary so that might have helped. It kept my interest from beginning to end.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.