Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 23, 2003 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Barnett, Joseph » Joseph Barnett number one suspect?. » Archive through November 23, 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donald Souden
Sergeant
Username: Supe

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shannon,

". . . the murders would have taken place when the killer believed they needed to happen...."

How do you know that was not the case?

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

Maria Harvey said she left 2 mens shirts in the room. Inspector Abberline said at the inquest that he found articles of women's clothing in the ashes. How did he know these were all women's clothing? The ashes were thought to be what Harvey left. But were they all left by Maria?

Why would he have taken his shirt, (assuming it had blood on it), when he escaped the scene? That would have caused a policeman to look at him closer!

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne, as you Aussies say : struth! Joe goes to the trouble of burning his shirt and putting a nice clean one on - but walks off with a bloody heart in his coat pocket?

Robert

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 898
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Robert,

I don't know where he put the heart, but he got away with it didn't he? He wouldn't have gotten far if he carried a heart and was wearing a bloody shirt as well!

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne, it's just not consistent that he should change his shirt and yet take the heart. Nor is it consistent that he should take the heart while knowing that he's got to get cleaned up because he's certain to be interviewed by the police the same day.

Robert

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 899
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Robert,

What do you mean by 'consistent'? Her heart obviously meant something to him. He got what he wanted!

LEANNE

(Message edited by Leanne on November 18, 2003)

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

This isn't the heart as a symbol of love, is it? There's nothing romantic about a physical heart - it looks like a set of bagpipes.

Robert

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Oh God, not the gentleman ripper theory, surely - the definition of a gentleman being one who can play the bagpipes but doesn’t. This one evidently eats them instead.

Braised heart makes a tasty change from fried kidney of course – takes a bit longer to become nise and tender though. So now we have Joe unable to suck on his pipe cos he left it at Mary’s, while Gentleman Thug happily sucks his bagpipe stew, wondering whether to play cricket or toss himself into the river and call it a good innings.

Love,

Caz

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Robert,

He had a choice. He could have taken her uterus, her kidney, or any body part. But no, he took her heart....only her heart. And he didn't post it to anyone either!

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

Caz, what was the name of that Blondie song? "Eat to the beat".

What did he have as a whore d'oeuvre?

Leanne, I've no idea why the murderer took Kelly's heart, just as I have no idea why he took Eddowes's kidney. I don't consider a missing heart to be grounds for arrest - not even a cardiac one.

Robert

Sarah Long
Police Constable
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

I can understand why Joe would take Mary's heart. Just because the physical heart doesn't look nice, maybe in his head, he just wanted it. I don't understand why he took Kate's kidney though. Is this supposed to show recognition as well, like disfiguring the face or something?

Also one other thing I'm unsure of. If Joe killed and took her heart because he still loved her, etc. well, then why did he spit on her grave, if indeed that was him too?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh no, Sarah! Not the grave-spitting again!

The vicar said "Let us pray" not "Let us spray".

Robert

Sarah Long
Sergeant

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne & Richard,

I've been reading some of your past posts. I get the impression that, while Leanne believes Joe was JTR, Richard gave the impression on another thread that he thinks Joe killed Mary but that's all. I may be wrong but that is how it has come across when I was readin another thread. Is this correct? If so how will you be giving two view points in your book? How will you phrase it? Am very curious!!

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert, Sarah,

Perhaps Joe didn’t preserve Mary’s heart well enough.

Must have been rotten for him – he couldn’t keep Mary from going off him and now he couldn’t keep her heart from going off either. Enough to make anyone spit, I shouldn’t wonder.

Love,

Caz

(Message edited by Caz on November 18, 2003)

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah, Caroline, Robert,

Think of this: "I have a piece of you, now you can keep a piece of me.....spit!"

I have ideas about why he destroyed Kate's face, but I'll keep them quiet for now.

Richard has promised to send me more detailed work on Mary Kelly to add, but hasn't got around to that yet. Because we have two seperate minds we knew that we'd have opposing views to certain things, and agreed to publish both views and let a reader deside. That's why this book will be interesting, and will lead to more debate! Plus how many books have been written by two people who live in opposite hemispheres?

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne

Well, I've heard of grave-robbing, but grave-gobbing?

I can see I'm going to have to patiently await the book - although I feel that your smiley face has now had more plasters than Kelly's after the docs patched her up.

Robert

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,
I can see how , you may believe Leanne, and myself have contrasting views on Barnetts involvement, thinking I believe he killed Kelly only, that is however wrong to assume, the only differences we proberly have is her time of death,our Kelly chapter is going to be lengthly and full of really debatable points, hopefully it will really stir the hornets nest.
Richard.

Sarah Long
Sergeant

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard & Leanne,

Can't wait. I have my own theory about Barnett and his killing of Mary but I think I'll keep that private for the moment as am developing it a more first and don't want to not be able to answer any queries about it.

Scott Nelson
Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, the heart went into the empty beer pail with some rags stuffed in, right?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scott, Barnett goes back to a crowded doss house with a heart in a bucket?

Robert

Sarah Long
Sergeant

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He may not even have kept her heart. Maybe he wanted to keep it as he never had when she was alive but what if he wanted to break it, like she did to his. Of course I don't mean break it in two though. Just a thought.

Luxy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne

why would Barnett do his utmost to make his beloved's face unrecognizable and then testify
that the woman on the bed is irrefutably MJK?
That sounds strange to me.

Regards

Luxy

Sarah Long
Sergeant

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Luxy,

If he killed the girl in the bed, then he would say it was Mary Jane. Who else was he expecting to be in her bed?

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 941
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

Mary let other prostitutes share her tiny room, that's what caused Barnett to move out! But I wouldn't say she let them have her single bed!

I wonder why she let Julia Venturney stay and then took Maria Harvey in, when she knew that Joe didn't like it?

LEANNE

Shannon Christopher
Inspector
Username: Shannon

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne, she did it to cause a confrontation with Joe because he had threatened to leave in the past if anything like this happened again. Since he no longer had a job to provide for her, what use was he to her? All he was now, was in the way...

Shannon

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.