Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The ripper project by william g. eckert Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » General Discussion » The ripper project by william g. eckert « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 28, 2003Glenn L Andersson25 10-28-03  8:05 pm
Archive through October 30, 2003Donald Souden25 10-30-03  10:47 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ash

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn

Enjoy London and definitely do the Ripper walk. I did it years ago and Donald Rumbelow was the guide, I don't know if he still does it though. I'm planning to head over in a few weeks time, mainly for a Spurs game but I will probably head down to Whitechapel while I'm there because it's been a while.

Meanwhile if you ever get over to Ireland, give me a shout when you are in Dublin and I will introduce you to the joys of the black stuff.

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 618
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donald,

OK. Then I must have misunderstood you somewhere along the line; the argument that criminal profiling is probalematic in historic cases has been stressed here a number of times, and I felt it was high time I commented on it, especially as I thought your initial message brought that up. Anyway, let's leave it, then,

That the postings sometimes can get too personal I naturally agree with, but than on the other hand - we are all human, so some minor flaws in that respect I think we will have to accept, as long as it doesen't become excessive and repetitious.

"Finally, while I agree that it would be easier to talk with someone from the late 19th century than one from the 17th, have some fun sometime and ponder how much different our worldview is from that of just 100 years ago. I suspect you would find a lot more than you might think initially."

Oh, I've actually done that a lot, I somewhat feel like I'm born in the wrong century anyway since I find it esier to identify with that time and than the present.
I thought that was the case too. But when I started to go over witness statements, interviews, papaer artcles and reports from the turn of the century (1800/1900), I actually found it to be the other way around. I was surprised to see how similar these people really were to us, in may different ways, and much more than I had expected in the first place. It would indeed take some knowledge regarding the social structures and etiquette rules, and so on, but otherwise I don't think there would be that much of a problem. There would of course be room for some misunderstandings, but not that much as many may think. And that is probably one of the reasons for why that period in history intruiges me. I wouldn't care that much for going to the doctor or to the dentist, though...

Donald, I think quite a few of us here have all gained our promotions by posting an occasional nonsense message at one time or another. I know I certainly have.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 619
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the invitation. Excuse an ignorant Swede, but...
what is the "black stuff"?

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Tis Ireland's finest gift to the world, a succulent beverage brewed by Arthur Guinness's company since 1759! And while you may have drunk Guinness in Sweden, or anywhere else in the world, you haven't really drunk Guinness until you've drunk it in Dublin, and more specifically in Mulligan's of Poolbeg Street where the finest pint in the world is poured!

thomas schachner
Sergeant
Username: Thomas

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi there,

in february 2003 i did a 360 degree panorama shot in the ten bells.

enjoy:

http://www.casebook.org/victorian_london/tenbells.html

greetings from germany
thomas.

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

I imagined that you referred to the local stout or a Guinness. Yes, one can have a Guinness in pubs in Sweden, but I assume, as you point out, that it will not be quite the same as the "real" thing in its real environment. I'll keep it in mind; thanks for the tip. We don't have the same pub culture as you have in Britain, mainly because it's too expensive here.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Just a quick tip. If you ever do get round to visiting Ireland, best not refer to it as Britain. This hasn't gone down very well since the war of independence.

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 477
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sadaam

That post got me out of the bar again.

I quote (myself in 1993):

‘Many men admire aggressive and strong qualities in women and on a physical level view the act of sex in terms of pleasure seeking rather than aggressive behaviour. The ‘Hite Report on Male Sexuality’ makes that quite clear, and it also shows that the majority of men see sex on an emotional/psychological level as supplying them with the feeling of being loved and accepted. Many describe sexual intercourse as the ultimate act of acceptance, and some enjoyed sex as an act of pleasurable domination by their female partner. It is clear in this important report on male sexuality that men see sex as an expression of masculinity rather than an act of aggression, only a very small group of males view sex as being aggressive, dominant or conquering and many of these recognised the futility of their behaviour and sought to modify it.’

Are we really talking about the same Shere Hite who I knew back in the 1990’s?
Back to the bar.

AP Wolf
Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 478
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that just occurred to me whilst picking ice cubes out of a tumbler of fine Japanese whisky…
Does anybody, anywhere know of one single criminal case that has been solved by a criminal profiler?
I’m damned if I can, though I did see a film once with some British actor called Cannonball Lecture blathering on about such profiling techniques, I believe it was called ’Silence of the Clams’.
Perhaps that’s why criminal profiling is so popular today?
Anyways, I await urgent confirmation that somewhere on this planet one single criminal profiler has solved some urgent case.
Please.

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan,

"Just a quick tip. If you ever do get round to visiting Ireland, best not refer to it as Britain. This hasn't gone down very well since the war of independence."

Yes, ooops indeed. Sorry about that. But I thought that only applied on Northern Ireland (the rest has, as far as I know, been a part of Great Britain for quite some time now, whether one likes it or not). OK, point taken, I was a bit careless.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Holger Haase
Sergeant
Username: Holger

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Meanwhile if you ever get over to Ireland, give me a shout when you are in Dublin and I will introduce you to the joys of the black stuff."

Alan, you're based in Ireland? Wow, that's interesting: I thought I was the only one here interested in JtR. I am based in Cork myself.

Holger

Holger Haase
Sergeant
Username: Holger

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Yes, ooops indeed. Sorry about that. But I thought that only applied on Northern Ireland (the rest has, as far as I know, been a part of Great Britain for quite some time now, whether one likes it or not). OK, point taken, I was a bit careless."

Haha, keep on digging your grave.

It's Northern Ireland that is part of the UK and the rest that is independent!

Holger

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And you didn't say you'd like to visit Wales, Glenn - everywhere else, but not Wales. I don't think the Welsh will be too happy about that....

Robert

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 624
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, well, you can't please everyone. What can I do except to blame it on my incredbly remarkable geographical knowledge...

I naturally got the Irish parts mixed up with one another; yes, of course Ireland is independent. What was I thinking?

Actually Robert, I have nothing against Wales - I hear that it is quite beautiful. But one has to make ones priorities. I'm not made of money, I'm afraid - just my four or five days in London will ruin me - and I can't be everywhere at once. But if any volunteers would be willing to pay for my trip, then...

Sorry if my clumsiness offended the parties concerned. Please tell all Welsh and Irish to put away the barrels with tar and feathers...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Erin Sigler
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't feel too badly, Glenn--I've never even been out of the country! And I'm also terrible at geography, too, although my father always made sure that I knew where Ireland was (my name's Erin, after all!).

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 627
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Erin,
I may also mention that Sweden often has to cope with being mixed up with Switzerland and the notion that all habitants have fair hair and that there are polar bears strolling down the streets! So we all have our crosses to bear...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,
One can easily find quotations in Hite that assert puerile orifice wrecking, dominating and raping as the nominal male sexual attitude. And this in fact is what is done by many men all over the world--in places like Iraq, Pakistan, etc., and to some extent in Britain and the U.S. Mature, civilized men aren't like that, but not all men are mature and civilized. I think you are quoting Hite selectively above.

Saddam

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.