Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Winberg 1891 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Pedachenko, Dr. » Winberg 1891 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 592
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been transcribing today a 1944 article about the Pedachenko theory and I did a bit of digging around in the census to see if anything in this complex scenario could be verified.
According to the story, Pedachenko had two accomplices - aided by a friend of his named Levitski, and a young tailoress, called Winberg.

In the 1891 census there is entry for a Sarah Winberg, aged 29, living at 10 Sandringham Road, Hackney. Although no trade or profession is given for her, her husband Isaac is listed as a Grocer and Master Tailor and her sister in law, Rosa Cohen, who lived with them is listed as a tailoress.
Thought this might be of interest to some of you:
The entry is below

winbg

Stepan Poberowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

What is the article? Can you supply me with it?

By Eduardo Zinna's request at present I prepare an article about the Pedachenko theory for Ripperologist and any new materials on this theory in addition to my own ones represent for me huge interest.

All the best,
Stepan

Stepan Poberowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

What is the article? Can you supplay me with it?

By Eduardo Zinna's request at the present I prepare an article about the Pedachenko theory for Ripperologist and any new materials on this theory in addition to my own materials represent for me huge interest.

All the best,
Stepan

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stepan
The article is below.

Lethbridge Herald (Canada)
25 March 1944

THE SOLUTION OF A MYSTERY

It is strange what one comes across when one has considerable time for it. I was under the impression that the author of what were known as the Jack the Ripper crimes, the murder of women of ill fame in the East End of London, was an unsolved mystery. These crimes at the time created quite a sensation, with the author of them not being caught. William Le Quex (sic), the well known writer of criminal stories, in his book "Things I Know", vouches that he has found to his amazement the actual truth concerning the Jack the Ripper crimes from an unfinished manuscript left by that infamous monk, Rasputin. He says he was not able to publish it until recently as he was unable to verify the facts. This he has since done.
According to Le Quex, Rasputin intended to publish the manuscript in a book entitled "Great Russian criminals." The manuscript was handed to Le Quex by the Kerensky government in Petrograd, established for a short time after the Russian Revolution, along with others, after the murder of Rasputin, found in a safe in the cellar of his house.
To put it briefly, here is what Le Quex found in the manuscript, which he copied before he returned it to the Kerensky government.

WHAT WAS SAID IN THE MANUSCRIPT
The manuscript, which was in French and typed, was evidently dictated by Rasputin. In it he said that the true author of the atrocities was disclosed by a Russian, well known in London, named Niderost, a spy of the Russian Secret Police, who was a member of the Jubilee Street Club, the Anarchist centre in the East End of London. One night in the club the identity of Jack the Ripper was revealed to him by an old Russian anarchist, Nicholas Zverieff. The mysterious assassin was Doctor Alexander Pedachenko, who had been on the staff of the Maternity Hospital at Tver in Russia, but had gone to London to live with his sister in Westmoreland Street, Walworth. From there he sallied forth at night, took an omnibus across London bridge and walked to Whitechapel where he committed his secret crimes.

DR. ALEXANDER PEDACHENKO
Dr. Alexander Pedachenko, according to Zverieff - whose record appears in the records of the Russian Secret Police - was aided by a friend of his named Levitski, and a young tailoress, called Winberg. The latter would approach the victim and hold her in conversation and Levitski kept watch for the police patrols, while the crimes and mutilations took place. Levistski wrote the warning post cards to the Police and Press. It was through Levitski that Zverieff knew the truth.
It is stated in the manuscript that, as a matter of fact, the Russian Secret Police knew the whole details at the time and had themselves actively aided and encouraged the crimes, in order to exhibit to the world certain defects of the British police system, there having been some misunderstanding between the Russian and British police. It was for that reason that Pedachenko, the greatest and boldest of all Russian criminal lunatics, was encouraged to go to London and commit the series of atrocious crimes. Evebtually, at the orders of the Russian Minitry of the Interior, the Secret Police smuggled the assassinh out of London and, as Count Luiskovo, he landed at Ostend and was conducted by secret service to Moscow. While there a few months later, caught red handed attemopting to murder and mutilate a woman named Vogak, and was eventually sent to an asylum where he died in 1908.
After the return to Russia of Levitski and the woman Winberg, says the manuscript, the Secret Police deemed it wise to suppress them, and they were exiled to Yakutsk. "Such," says the manuscript, "are the actual facts of the Jack the Ripper mystery which still puzzles the whole world."
Le Quex says that he ventures to make public the unfinished manuscript of Rasputin because he had only recently discovered that a doctor named Pedachenko did actually live in Tver, and his homicidal tendencies were well known. He has further found out that a man named Niderost was a member of the Jubilee Street Club. Hence, without agreeing that the British police system is defective, he printed these disclosures among "Things I Know." Sounds like an Edgar Wallace syory, but appears to have the hallmark of truth.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 599
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stepan
Something else that might be of interest. If any belief can be placed in Le Queux's story (which is very debatable) one abiding question is how would have Rasputin have obtained details of the story and the Okhrana involvement.
The only direct link I have been able to trace is that Rasputin himself was under Okhrana surveillance from 1 Jan 1915 to 10 Feb 1916. I have managed to get hold of a document from the Russian State Papers and other Documents relating to the Years 1915-1918. This is headed: "RASPUTIN AS KNOWN TO THE SECRET POLICE (OKHRANA)
EXTRACTS
From the data of the external surveillance over Gregory Rasputin from the 1st Jan., 1915, up to the 10th Feb., 1916."
This is a very long document which I will be working through shortly. Anything of interest I will let you know.
Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to read any background on the Okhrana for your Pedachenko article, I can recommend a CIA article entitled:
OKHRANA
The Paris Operations of the Russian Imperial Police
Ben B. Fischer

History Staff Center for the Study
of Intelligence
Central Intelligence Agency

You can find this on the CIA website at:
http://www.cia.gov/csi/monograph/okhrana/5474-1.html

Stepan Poberowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thank you very mach for the article!

Probably, I know the mentioned document about Rasputin and read it in the original. It is the summary diary of the external suevillance over Rasputin made as extracts from reports of police surveilance agents of the Moscow Okhrana branch. I also read the CIA article. I long time (it is more than seven years) studied any background of the Okhrana's operations in France and England, and also all possible links of the Okhrana and JTR (including Le Queuix-McCormick's theory).

Unique possible connection exists in ' East London Observer ' of 1 December 1888 ( http://www.casebook.org/press_reports/east_london_observer/elo881201.html ) which has reprinted an article from the Russian newspaper ' Novosti' where Nicolas Vassily was transformed from a sectarian (as it was in the Russian original) to an anarchist etc. (I'll discuss this matter in my article about Vassily which probably will appear in Ripperologist #50.

Btw, did you have any sources on story of Vassily beside Casebook's matterials?

All the best,
Stepan Poberowski

Alexander Chisholm
Sergeant
Username: Alex

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great stuff as usual, Chris.

Hi Stepan, the East London Observer report of Dec. 1 1888 is identical to reports that appeared in the Daily Telegraph and Pall Mall Gazette on November 28 1888. The wording of the report in the Star, Nov. 28, differed as follows:

A WHITECHAPEL MURDER THEORY FROM RUSSIA.
The Murders Said to be the Work of a Mad Russian Released from an Asylum Just Before the First Murder –

The Novosti, in an article on the Whitechapel murders, expresses the belief that the perpetrator of these dreadful crimes is a Russian named Nicolai Vassilyeff, of whose past career it gives the following details. Vassilyeff, who was born at Tiraspol in 1847, was a student at the Odessa University, and having become a fanatical Anarchist, he migrated to Paris in the seventies, where he shortly afterwards became insane and was placed under restraint. Before being lodged in an asylum, however, Vassilyeff, whose mania appears to have been that fallen women could only atone for their sins and obtain redemption by being killed, murdered several unfortunates in Paris under conditions somewhat similar to those of the Whitechapel crimes, and on his arrest, his insanity having been proved, he was placed in a criminal lunatic asylum. This happened 16 years ago, and Vassilyeff, or the mad Russian, as he was called, remained in the Paris asylum until shortly before the first Whitechapel outrage, when he was dismissed as cured. He is then said to have proceeded to London, where for some time he lived with the lower class of his fellow-countrymen. After the first Whitechapel murder, however, Vassilyeff was lost sight of.

Earlier, however, on November 17, the Star reported:

A Fictional French “Ripper.”
A story is being widely circulated that the Whitechapel murders were possibly committed by a certain Nicholas Wassili, who is said to have been placed in an insane asylum in 1872, after he had committed a series of crimes in Paris similar to those that have been lately committed in the East-end of London. A certain amount of probability has been attached to this theory, in view of the fact that Wassili was, according to the reports, released from confinement last January. It is doubtful, however, whether such a man as Wassili ever existed. M. Macé, a former Chef de la Sûreté, who is thoroughly posted in the criminal history of France, has said to an interviewer that no such person committed murders in Paris in 1872. The only Parisian case in any way resembling the London assassinations was one which occurred about 1875. A certain individual terrified the women in the Rochechouart quarter by repeated assaults. He was captured after five or six of these outrages, and was pronounced insane. He was a foreigner, but not a Russian, and in any case he killed none of his victims.

Hope that helps

Best Wishes
alex

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Only point to bring out is that Mr. Mace is Gustave Mace, the former head of the Surete, whose first successful case (which he wrote a memoir of called MY FIRST CASE) was his fight to bring Pierre Voirbo to book for an extremely clever murder in 1869.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Stepan Poberowski
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alex

Great thanks for your post (especially for the last article).

All the best,
Stepan

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.