Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Cambridge Alumni Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephen, James Kenneth » Cambridge Alumni « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fiunf this entry for Stephen in the Alumni Cantarbrigienses (Cambridge Students) and thought it might be of interest:

STEPHEN, JAMES KENNETH College: KING'S Entered: Michs. 1878 Born: Died: Adm. at KING'S, a scholar from Eton, Oct. 12, 1878. [2nd] s. of Sir James Fitzjames (1846), Knt., of 24, Cornwall Gardens, London. [B. Feb. 25, 1859.] Matric. Michs. 1878; Members' prize, 1880; Whewell Scholar, 1881; (Hist. Trip., 1st Class, 1881); B.A. 1882; Winchester Reading prize, 1883; M.A. 1885. Fellow, 1885. President of the Union, 1880. Member of the ‘Apostles.’ Adm. at the Inner Temple, Nov. 13, 1880. Called to the Bar, June 25, 1884. Tutor to H.R.H. Prince Albert Victor during his residence at Cambridge, 1883. Published and edited The Reflector, 1888, a weekly newspaper chiefly written by himself. Clerk of Assize, South Wales Circuit, 1888-90. Resided at Cambridge, 1890-2. An accidental blow on the head in 1886 caused injuries, not perceived for some time, which finally affected his brain. Author, Living Languages, a pamphlet in defence of the compulsory study of Greek at the Universities; Lapsus Calami; Quo Musa Tendis? Died Feb. 3, 1892. Portrait in King's College. Brother of Herbert (1875) and Harry L. (1878). (Boase, III. 728; Law Lists; Inns of Court; Foster, Men at the Bar; D.N.B.; The Times, Feb. 5, 1892.)

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I notice that one of the source for the biography of Stephen is Boase's Modern English Biography
Volume III, column 728. I was wondering if,
as Montague Druitt had some legal practice, he and
Stephen were ever possibly crossing paths on the
Assize of the South Wales Circuit.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to say that three of JK's poems are on the Poets' Corner site.

Robert

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering, do you have a photograph of James Stephen that you could post, or do you know where there is one online or in a book? On this site, I've only found a drawing and I could find little else using a search engine. All the poetry sites feature the same drawing. I'm surprised there are not at least a few photos of the man. Just curious to know what he looked like.

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Mara,

Sue and I spent 5 years researching for our book and the Stephen family do feature. The Stephen family are deserving of a tome of the own.
Yes, we have photos of JK and and a portrait of JK painted by his cousin all of which are in our book. The portrait is the first and only time it has been allowed to be published. Also photos of his father Sir James, again one of which is published for the first time.

Our e-mail: Asptenbells@aol.com

Andy & Sue.

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mara,

The attached picture of JK Steven is taken from the book "Murder and Madness The Secret Life of Jack The Ripper.

Sorry about the quality, it is part of a larger picture but this section also shows Prince Eddy

jk steven 3

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, John, for taking the trouble to post that. Love his hat. :-) I've also wondered what everyone here thinks about him as a suspect and if you all think he was nothing more than tutor and friend to Eddy and nothing more than that. I don't believe JK was the ripper but he's an interesting man in his own right, and tragic for his lost potential and early death. To Andy and Sue- is your book still in print? Do you know if it is available from Amazon? Thanks.

MALONE
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I AM DOING RESEARCH FOR A PAPER..ANYONE WHO HAS MORE INFO...EMAIL ME AT ....I NEEDED TO KNOW FROM YOU PROS OUT THERE WHO YOU THINK DID IT..THE MURDERS OF WHITE CHAPEL..
ROBJMALONE@HOTMAIL.COM

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.