Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Davies, Morgan Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Davies, Morgan « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There have been some mentions in another thread of Morgan Davies, the medic who was accused by Roslyn D'Onston Stephenson of being the Ripper. I have been doing some research on him recently and thought this mught be of interest and am posting below.
Chris S

Dr. Morgan Davies

Dr. Morgan Davies was the medic who was accused by R.D.Stephenson of being the murders with a graphic description of his reenactment of the murders in Stephenson's presence.
According to the account furnished by Stephenson on 26 December 1888, he gives the following alleged information about Davies:
- Stephenson and Davies discussed the murders almost nightly when Stephenson was a patient at the London Hospital
- Davies opined that the murderer was impotent without some strong sexual stimulus such as sodomy, which he alleged the murdered performed on his victims.
- Stephenson says he was a woman hater
- Stephenson describes him as a man of powerful build
- The enactment took place in the presence of five doctors when Davies acted out sodomy on an imaginary victim, then cutting her throat from behind and mutilating the body in a frenzy.
- Davies was superficially calm immediately after this reenactment, albeit his face was very pale.
- Stephenson alleges that he was informed by the editor of the Pall Mall Gazette that Mary Kelly was sodomised.
- According to Stephenson, Davies was a House Physician at the London Hospital.
- Davies had recently acquired a house in Castle Street, Houndsditch.
- Stephenson alleges that Davies said if things did not work out in his new home, he intended settling in Australia.

What can we learn about Davies apart from what Stephenson tells us?
Date of birth: All sources I have consulted agree that Davies was born in 1854 which means that at the time of the murders he would have been 34 years old.
Place of birth: Herein lies a problem. The A-Z says that Davies was born and bred in Whitechapel and indeed the 1881 census and the 1901 census both say that he was born in Whitechapel. However, the 1891 census says that he was born in Llanwyrygan, Cardigan in Wales. Certainly his name is strongly Welsh. Looking at the birth records for 1854 under his name name we find:
1st Quarter (Jan-March)
Davies, Morgan registered in Llandilofawr (Reference 11a510)
2nd Quarter (Apr-June)
No possible matches
3rd Quarter (July-September)
No possible matches
4th Quarter
Davies, Morgan registered in Llanfyl(illegible) (Reference 11b731)

So, in short, for 1854 there are two, among the Morgan Davies entries, with a Llan.... registration district but no entry at all for Whitechapel. We must also remember that Davies' future wife was born and brought up in Cardigan (see below for marriage details)

Census entries:
1881:
In the 1881 census, Morgan Davies was 27 years old, still unmarried and was living at 37-38 Great Alie Street, Whitechapel and described as a Surgeon and Physician, specifically a House Surgeon. This unnamed instituition (the census data gives only an address) was obviously considerable as it lists over 140 medical and domestic staff and over 560 patients. But I have yet to find out under what title this sizeable institution went. The head of this institution was one Thomas Peters.
1891:
By the 1891 census, Davies is listed as a 37 year old married man and has set up his own household. His address is given as 5-9 Goring Street, Aldgate and his occupation is that of Registered General Practitioner. His wife's details are that she was called Margaret Davies, was 33 years of age and born in Cardigan.
There are two others listed in the household:
Jane E Julian , his step-daughter aged 8, born in Bow.
Ann M Evans, his niece, aged 15, born in Cardigan.
1901:
By the time of the 1901 census, the 47 year old Davies had moved to 10 Goring Street, just over the road from his 1891 address. He is described as a medical practitioner and the others in his household are as follows:
His wife Margaret, aged 42, born in Llanshipstead, Cardigan and three children. These were a daughter (first name unknown) aged 9 born in St Botolph Aldgate, a son of 5 named Geraint, and another son aged 3 named Georgeon, both also born in St Botolph Aldgate. There was one servant named Alice Draper, aged 21, born in Kennington, London.

For reference, Goring Street is a very short thoroughfare very close to Mitre Square which runs between Bevis Marks and Houndsditch.

From the census data, it is apparent that Morgan Davies married cetainly between the 1881 and 1891 censuses and probably between late 1888 and 1891, if Stephenson's account is to be believed in his descriptions of Davies' attitudes to women.

There is only one marriage record during this period of an individual named Morgan Davies marrying a spouse whose first name was Margaret. this was registered in London City (which included St Boltolph Aldgate) in June 1890 and shows that Morgan davies married a Margaret Julian. Also listed on the entry is a Frank Mercer, who presumably was the witness.

Looking at Davies' spouse, prior to their marriage, in the 1881 census, the only Margaret Julian of appropriate age and place of birth is a married woman living in Aberystwyth. She was married to David Julian, a grocer, and they lived at 8 Princess Street, Aberystwyth, Cardigan. They had one child named Sarah Rowland Julian who was 3 weeks old at the time of the census. This marriage must have produced at leat one other child as Morgan Davies, in the 1891 data, is listed as having a step daughter called Jane E Julian aged 8 who was born in Bow.

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 6:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting that, Chris. Georgeon? Is that a Welsh name?

Robert

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 7:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very useful indeed. And very impressive. I hope Paul and Keith have noted the necessary corrective for any revised and updated A-Z - though I can't imagine how we'll all remember the amount of work that goes into proving the entries birthing MD in Whitechapel wrong!
All the best,
Martin F

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and Martin
I don't know if Georgeon is specifically a Welsh name but will try and find out.
One amendment due to a very faint entry on the 1891 census sheet. Martin's comments on the place of birth contradiciton made me go back to the 1891 entry for davies and when I looked more closely I saw, very faintly, that the address was the same as for 1901. On the line above MD's entry, under address it say "5-9 do" i.e. Number 5- 9 ditto, the same as the street above, Goring Street. The address entry against MD's entry is so faint I didn't see it but it says "10 do" so Davies was living at 10 Goring Street in 1891 and NOT at Nos 5-9. I wanted to get this on record.
I'm attaching the household entry so the place of birth entry can be seen, which is what I was originally checking!
All the best and thanks for the interest
Chris
md1891

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, All--

I don't know about "Georgeon" being a Welsh name although of course one of Britain's famous Prime Ministers of the 20th Century was David Lloyd George (1st Earl Lloyd-George of Dwyfor, Viscount Gwynedd of Dwyfor) (1863-1945), born in Manchester to a father from Pembrokeshire, Wales. "Morgan" though is a well known Welsh surname. I don't want to get Caz too excited but in Dylan Thomas's "Under Milkwood" there is a character named Organ Morgan, renowned for playing the organ in the chapel, and one of the women characters remarks, "It's organ organ all the time with him." laugh

All the best

Chris George

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(The woman character being Mrs Organ Morgan... will Caz take feminist umbrage if I add... not surprisingly...?)
All the best,
Martin F

(I think Caz would really be like Mrs Cherry Owen, though. Here's to coming home sloshed to a wife who enjoys a good laugh with one about it!)

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 401
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I asked a Welsh lady I know to consult her dictionary of Welsh names and she found no mention of "Georgeon". By a strange coincidence, though, she told me she'd used the book when trying to decide on a name for her daughter...whom she called Rhoslyn.

Organ Morgan play some Bach, bach!

Robert

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 3:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Organ Morgan, coming home in the dark, sees a body on a tombstone, and utters "Johann Sebastian, Mighty Bach!" But I forget what Cherry Owen, the incapacitated drunk on the tombstone replies. And I don't propose to fast forward and backwards through a tape of
Martin FMilk Wood to find out.
All the best,
Martin F

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 7:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys
Well I have solved the mystery of the Georgeon name and its meaning! And the object lesson is never trust secondary sources but check for yourself!
I got the name Georgeon from the transcription of the 1901 census for Morgan Davies and family but was having so little success in findong out anything about the name I went back to the original enumerator's sheet myself. The name Georgeon is clearly a mistranscription - the name is clearly GWYLON.
The data for the Davies household for 1901 is split over two pages but I am appending both so you can see and hopefully agree that my reading of the name as Gwylon is now the right one!
And the mysterious daughter who was transcribed as ? looks to me like GWEN.
Chris
md2md1

Robert Charles Linford
Inspector

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 8:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Chris! Gwylon and Gwen. I can see how they took it for "Georgeon" from the 'g' in "Margaret".

PS I hope you manage to get an early night in tonight!

Robert

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris:

Well done in ferreting out the correct name of Morgan Davies's son, which you have found is actually Gwylon and not Georgeon. Incidentally, my web searches if anything show Georgeon to be a French name. The mistranscription of the name is similar to the other Ripper field controversies about whether it was a Yankee or Quaker hat in the Stride case or whether Barnett said "hair" or "ear" in the Kelly case.

All the best

Chris

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Martin,

In answer to your question, will Caz take feminist umbrage?

Most certainly not - I've had the great fortune never to have needed to take any medicines, herbal or otherwise, for 'women's troubles', and I'm past the point of no return now anyway.

So 'feminist umbrage' will not be on my Chopin Liszt, but I reserve the right to get Brahms and Liszt on substances not taken for any medicinal purpose whatsoever.

Love,

Cherry

Martin Fido
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mrs Owen!
A brief tale of Fidonian naivety. When I returned to England after 10 years in the West Indies and found there was now a chain of wine bars called Brahms and Liszt, I thought it was exceedingly and surprisingly cultivated of my fellow countrymen to honour the finest Hungarian musicians in this way!

All the best,
Martin F

Christopher T George
Inspector

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Martin:

I usually find that after I have visited a winebar I list too. duck

All the best

Chris

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 4:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mr Fido,

Perhaps we should open one of those new-fangled health shops. I'm sure Feminist umbrage and Fidonian naivety would sell very well if we packaged them right and made them reassuringly expensive.

Wonder if Morgan Davies would have approved? (Thought I'd better get back to topical medicine.)

Hi Chris,

I'll check your list in Liverpool then - hic!

Love,

Miss Tumblety

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Regarding the birthplace of Morgan Davies, I have a biographical article written by Davies' son-in-law that states that Davies was born in London after all. (It doesn't say where in London)
He was the son of a Welsh businessman. His mother died when he was young, and he was brought up by his grandparents in Wales. He then returned to his father's home in London and became a medical student at the London Hospital.

At the time of the Whitechapel Murders he was no longer House Physician at the London Hospital as has been written in some books, but was running his own practice from 10 Goring Street.

David

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Further to my previous post, Davies appears on the 1871 census living with his grandparents in the Llanrhystyd district. His age is shown as 18 when other sources suggest it should be 17. His place of birth is shown as Llangwyryfon, as it is on the 1891 census. His occupation is shown as farm servant (his grandparents owned a small holding). He is buried in the church at Llangwyryfon. Still can't find a record of his birth though.

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 7:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stranger still I have found him again on the 1871 census (with birthplace Whitechapel!) - this time living at 11 Black Lion Yard Whitechapel, where his father had a dairy business. His surname is shown as Davis, rather than Davies. On the 1881 census, his father, who was still at the same address, still has the surname spelt Davis.
I have therefore checked the birth records again with the alternative spelling of the surname, but still nothing ... except a Morgan Davis reg Sep 1871 b Whitechapel. Could they have forgotten to register his birth and then done it 17 years late when he moved back to his father's??
Certainly, there is no 10 yr old Morgan Davis on the 1881 census.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David
Thanks for the background info which is very useful
Your two 1871 sightings are intriguing. The Welsh 18 year old fits better in that he appears to have been living with his grandparents which accords with this fact in the biographical article you mention. However, I have two problems with this entry in that he is described as a farm servant, and his status is listed as servant and not grandson. The 17 year old living in Whitechapel is a possible. My one problem with this is whether a cow keeper in Whitechapel (Davis' father) would be described, as in the bigraphical article, as a Welsh businessman?
Many thanks again for the info - the hunt goes on!
Chris

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I should say that the London entry is definitely our man, as he gave his address as 11 Black Lion Yard when entering medical college in 1873.
I was fairly confident about the Wales entry as well, because as you say it fits perfectly with the biographical info that I had, right down to the location of the small-holding.
I think that they could both be him, but if either isn't then it's the Welsh one.

David

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David
As the address fits then the London entry is almost certainly our man. I think it exceedingly unlikely he would be on the census twice, especially as different ages are given for both young men.
Thanks again
Chris

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like the cow keeper / milk seller business was still going in Black Lion Yard in 1891 and 1901, although it had moved to no 21a.
John Evans and his wife Mary (Morgan's sister) are by then running the show. Morgan's father (this time with surname including an 'e') is at the address in 1891 being 'retired'.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4210
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, it looks like they'd sold up by 1915 ;

Robert

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 3:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

I wonder whether the Jones's were related to the Davies's and Evans's.

I found this reference at http://www.ibiblio.org/yiddish/Places/London/london.htm

If you look lower down towards Aldgate East Station you will see Black Lion Yard Building. This building absorbed Black Lion Yard itself. Black Lion Yard merged into Old Montagu Street and combined 21 shops of whom 12 were jewellers and several bookshops. This was the Hatton Gardens of the East End in its time and every prospective Jewish bride always went with her mother to Black Lion Yard to buy her Sabbath candles. At the end of Montagu Street Mr. Evans kept 40 cows and motif on his gates in Yiddish - MILCH, FRISH FUN DI KU.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 4:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a pic of Black Lion Yard (date unknown) which may be of interest
bly

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 5:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David and Chris

Thanks for the pic, Chris. It looks very tidy there.

David, it was very astute to advertise in Yiddish!

I found these mentions in the "Times."

XMAS DAY 1893

MAY 31st 1897

JUNE 4th 1918

Robert

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 6:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and Chris,

Great finds there!

According to the biographical article that I have (which incidentally comes from The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion 1976 and includes a cartoon of Morgan Davies) Morgan did not have a good time of it during the first World War.

His wife died in 1915, he had a stroke in 1916 which necessitated the closure of his practice in Goring St and lost Geraint his son in 1918 as above.

Morgan then stayed with his adopted step-daughter Jano in Golders Green for a while (Jano was married to Liberal leader Clement-Davies) before ending his days with brother in law John Evans who had retired from the milk business and was living out his retirement in Wales.

David

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4213
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 9:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

Thanks for that.

Robert

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 5:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Just to confirm that the Morgan Davies I found on the Welsh census is almost certainly the wrong man, as I have now found Morgan's sister staying at another farm in the Llangwyryfon area in 1871.

David

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 6:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I know I'm a little late in the day on this thread. I was just reading it.

I didn't realise Morgan Davies worked at the London Hospital and had a private practice.

Has anyone ever really considered Morgan a viable suspect?
Jenni

Stan Russo
Inspector
Username: Stan

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer,

Uhh yeah, robert donston Stephenson did.

SJR

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Morgan Davies by Frederick Rees

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long had Morgan Davies been employed by the London Hospital at the time of the murders then?

Cheers
sorry to be irritating

Jenni
ps very fetching image

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

This is from memory as all my jtr stuff is in storage at the moment..

I think that he returned to his father's house in Whitechapel in 1871 having been raised by his grandparents in Wales following the death of his mother.

From 1873 to 1878 he studied medicine in Aberdeen.

From 1879 to 1881 he was employed by the London Hospital as resident Accoucheur and then House Surgeon. Not sure what happened next, but according to Uncle Jack he joined the staff of the Whitechapel Workhouse Infirmary in 1885 but was asked to resign shortly afterwards.

By 1888 he had set up his own private practice in Goring Street (near Mitre Square) where his patients consisted exclusively of the London Welsh community. He remained there until shortly before his death in 1920.

David

Restless Spirit
Detective Sergeant
Username: Judyj

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David Knott
Why couldn't the Dr. "D" referred to by Sims and Littlechild have been Dr Davis? Good question??
regards
Restless Spirit

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Restless,

I know this question was for David, but may i explain why the "Dr. D" could not have been Dr. Morgan Davies?

SJR

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2846
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,
thanks.

so he wasn't actually employed by the London hospital at the time of the murders? how odd then that Donston would have seen him there. or am I reading too much into it?

Jenni

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni,

To the best of my knowledge, Davies was in the hospital visiting his ill friend Dr Evans, who happened to share a ward with D'Onston.

Stan,

If you can explain why "Dr D" could not have been Davies then go for it! (I'm doubtful that it was Davies, but don't know of any reason why it couldn't have been him)

David

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

The "Dr. D" reference in the Littlechild Letter could not have been Dr. Morgan davies for a number of reasons.

1 - Littlechild was writing to Sims, who up until that point was pushing that MM knew the identity of the murderer - hence Druitt, incorrectly identified by MM as a doctor.

2 - For Sims to have corresponded with Littlechild, as the letters indicate, Littlechild would have known of Sims' writings on the topic, where he advocated MM's suspect.

3 - Dr. Davies was not a Special Branch suspect. He was proposed by RDS to Inspector Roots, or Marsh. Inspector Roots and or Marsh were not Special Branch, and would not have passed RDS's suspect over to Littlechild, especially since he was dismissed. Therefore Littlechild would not have known about a non-terrorist suspect who was summarily dismissed, and never mentioned by the police again.

Those are the basic reasons why Dr. Davies can be ruled out as "Dr. D". The only reasoning behind thinking Dr. Davies was "Dr. D" is because he was actually a Dr. D. That's further reason why he wasn't Littlechild's "Dr. D". Or else there would be no parentheses.

SJR

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan....

What is your take on the "Dr. D." that it may have referred....may have referred..to Dr. D'onston ? Not that RDS had a medical degree or was a doctor,but...you know how he liked to embellish things..

..You knew I had to ask....

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 5:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard,

My opinion is that because Littlechild was writing to Sims, the "Dr. D" was Druitt. I also think that because the Dr. D is in special parentheses, that the Special Branch may have known that Druitt was not a doctor. Why else would Littlechild put Dr. D in parentheses? If he truly didn;t know about Druitt, which is a possibility, then how good of a suspect could Druitt have really been, outside the fertile (omg I almost pissed my pants laughing) mind of MM?

SJR

David Knott
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan,

I agree with you that "Dr D" was almost certainly Druitt. I'm not sure I follow your third reason though ...

Dr. Davies was not a Special Branch suspect. He was proposed by RDS to Inspector Roots, or Marsh. Inspector Roots and or Marsh were not Special Branch, and would not have passed RDS's suspect over to Littlechild, especially since he was dismissed. Therefore Littlechild would not have known about a non-terrorist suspect who was summarily dismissed, and never mentioned by the police again.

If you are saying that Littlechild would not have known about Davies, then how does that exclude him from being "Dr D"?

David

Stan Russo
Inspector

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 8:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

As I stated to Howard, because Littlechild was writing to Sims, the "Dr. D" was Druitt. I don't believe that Littlechild ever knew of Davies, thereby eliminating him from being Dr. D. The idea that Littlechild is refuting a suspect he never heard of, makes no sense. that's all i was trying to imply.

SJR

Restless Spirit
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan
Of course I would welcome your comments re Dr. D.
Or anyone else for that matter, we are all entitled to an opinion, I am open for comments or constructive critism, whichever it may be.
PS Luved your book on suspects, very well done.
regards
Restless Spirit

Restless Spirit
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stan
Doctor Davis, was not the only Dr. suspect. How about Dr. Dutton!!!!

regards
Restless Spirit

WiT
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did You see in the last postet article the name of the youngest brother: Gwillon? here it is typewriting and clearly told.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.