Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Cutbush's Rating Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » Cutbush's Rating « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 01, 2004Richard Brian Nunwee25 1-01-04  3:27 pm
Archive through January 08, 2005David Bullock50 1-08-05  6:07 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Bullock
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I have always tried to look at the Ripper case from other perspectives than the norm. I like to think of possibilities regarding suspects and victims, that are beyond the conventional. Some of my ideas have been regarded as plain silly, such as my identification of a possible message from the killer written on Mary Kelly's wall, but I am always sincere, and criticism is inevitable and welcome.

So, here's a another of my thoughts on the case:

The first murder site may not have necessarily been meant to be Bucks Row. If we look at the other four murder sites, they are much more enclosed evironments which would give some sort of privacy for the killer, but Bucks Row, being an open street does differ slightly.

I believe that it is possible that the Ripper led Polly Nichols to Brady Street, perhaps he may have initially chosen a courtyard or some other secluded spot such as New Square or even the Jews Cemetery, there he failed in his initial strike on Polly and she escapes running for her life down Bucks Row, Where the killer eventually catches up with her and begins his onslaught.

This theory is somewhat supported by the Witness Statement of Mrs Sarah Colwell a resident of Brady Street, who was awakened during the early hours of August 31st by the noise of a woman running down the street screaming. It appeared to Mrs Colwell that the woman was being struck as she ran but there was no sound of pursuing footsteps.

To me, it appears that the Ripper may have made a mess of his first attack, perhaps not striking quick enough or allowing Polly to catch a climpse of his knife. When he caught up with Polly in Bucks Row he had to act quick, and may have intended much more savagery than was inflicted, if he hadn't found himself in an open environment.

I apologise for going on somewhat, but its interesting for me to get other peoples ideas on my theories and thats what makes the casebook so great.

I have another thought which I will post next time along with more info on the 'Jim the Cutter'
letter, this thought in brief is based on my belief that Macnaghton intitially listed Thomas Cutbush among his top three suspects in his memoranda.

Regards

David

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

The problem I have with that is that Polly was very drunk, and should have been quite easy to catch, at least if we suppose a youngish killer. The only way i can see it working, is if she kneed him in the groin or something like that, and hence got a head start. But that would seem to preclude the idea of him hitting her as she ran - more a case of him venting his fury on her as soon as he caught up with her.

Robert

Philip L. Hill
Police Constable
Username: Phil

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 7:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My understanding is that one of the researchers enjoys unparalled access to documents still under lock and key at the Home Office, Scotland Yard and the PRO, and that these documents are indicative of the complicity of Superintendent Charles Henry Cutbush in the unsolved crimes of Jack the Ripper.

You could now ask for access to these documents under the Freedom of Information Act, by writing to the stated public authorities. I would suggest citing the fact that researchers have been said to have current access to such unreleased files/archives. At the very least the authorities would have to confirm or deny the existence of such documents. I can think of no exemptions which would apply given the date of any JtR documents.

The authorities should, by law, either provide the information, or give you the opportunity to visit and see it in situ.

If they cite and exemption or do not reply you can appeal to the independent Information Commissioner (employed by Parliament NOT the Government) who can instruct the relevant authority to release the papers.

Any attempt to stop this would be so public as to make it a cause celebre. We would KNOW beyond doubt something was being hidden.

Personally, I very much doubt whether there are unreleased papers at any of the authorities mentioned (HO, SY or Met). from the days of the BBC series to the Caine TV mini-series, there have been rumours that files or papers wre being withheld. I think this is people sensationalising - but I am happy to be proved wrong. If anyone is interested they can now ask and MUST by law receive a response within 20 working days of the request being received.

Phil

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil-- Congratulations on finally getting your registration.What a shame all those previous posts don't count toward your rank.

As it is,though, I'll take my coffee light and sweet,thank you.
Mags

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil

We're working on it.

Robert

Philip L. Hill
Police Constable

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any advice I can give Requests For Information under FOI - just let me know.

Phil

Mags: Thank you very much. I'm afraid post-counts don't mean much to me. Sad aren't I?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3846
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very good of you, Phil. Thanks very much. It isn't something I can tackle just yet, but when I do I'll consult you, and AP of course, if there are any difficulties.

Robert

Philip L. Hill
Police Constable

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might just send off a quick letter to the three authorities mentioned and see what response I get. I'll share any info here of course.

A request doesn't need to be detailed in any way.

Phil

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3847
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Phil. AP is very keen to access Supt Cutbush's police pension records.

Robert

Donovan Carman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe the letter in question regarding Jim the Cutter is as follows:

January 8, 1889

Dear Boss
I write these few lines to you just to inform you that I
shall soon be on the job again very shortly near
blackheath.,
I have my eye on a few gay women.
You have though you have had me but I have laughed
ha ha ha
I Remain
Yours very truly
Jim the Cutter (Evans, P. & Skinner, K., 2001
pg. 269)

Evans, S., Skinner, K. (2001). Jack the ripper.
letters from hell. Gloucestershire. Sutton
Publishing Limited

johnchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 5:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,
I'm curious as to how you would reconcile Thomas Cutbush's appearance to Joseph Lawende's and Elizabeth Long's description of the man they saw.
Hope to read your answer.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3863
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Donovan and John

Blackheath sounds a bit like Monty, doesn't it?

Re descriptions, AP's on holiday but will doubtless check this thread on return.

Robert

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty didn't write it.

He has a cast iron alibi.
Mags

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3864
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mags, depends whether that was the date it was written - or when the Post Office got round to delivering it.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John
until I know what Thomas Cutbush looked like I'm afraid I can't really comment.
We still have no physical descriptive details concerning Thomas until shortly before his demise in Broadmoor, and that description is obviously coloured by his experience in the institute.
As a wealthy and highly educated young man Thomas may have given a certain sketch to some observing witness; but as a complete and utter maniac obsessed with the idea that he had syphilis young Thomas may have presented a very different picture.
Details of his physical strength when confined could lead one to believe that he was a powerfully built young man capable of extreme violence, but later witness statement appear to indicate that he was a sickly and weak individual.
A difficult situation indeed, and one does wonder whether his uncle may have influenced the 'role' that Thomas was playing at any given time.
I'm afraid that I am very reluctant to accept almost any direct witness contact to Jack the Ripper, except perhaps in the case of Eddowes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.