Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The Sun reports on Cutbush Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » The Sun reports on Cutbush « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

DaveJames
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do any of your contributers have copies of the Sun reports mentioned in the McNaughten papers?

Although I am probably on the wrong track, I have always thought that this was an area that has been dismissed as unlikely too easily.

At worst, it has the makings of a great conspiracy theory involving family insanity, family links to the police and 'bottom stabbing'.

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted,
Dave

AP Wolf
Detective Sergeant
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave

I have read all these reports and they are most stimulating and provoking to say the least.
So much so that I wrote a book about them.
If you click on links to my name on this site you will be able to read my thoughts on Cutbush etc.
I read the reports at the British Museum Library - newspaper section - then called Collindale, but probably not so now.
Good luck.

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, AP:

The place to go for Nineteenth Century periodicals continues to be the British Newspaper Library located in Colindale, northwest London. It is though part of the British Library not the British Museum. The Newspaper Library in Colindale has recently placed its catalog of over 50,000 newspaper and periodical title holdings online. The newspaper catalog is searchable by keyword and sorted by title, date, or place.

Best regards

Chris George

DaveJames
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP Wolf and Christopher George,
Thanks for the assistance. I didn't realise that the Newspaper catalogue was on line. My main problem with research is that I live in Halifax, West Yorkshire and am away from a lot of resources.
Time permitting, I would like to research the local newspaper files to get the local angle on the murders. I remember seeing that a Halifax girl, I think she was a maid, had been in court for sending a JTR letter.
I must admit that I have been fascinated by Cutbush for a number of years, probably because McNaughton's notes seem to point at him rather than away from him with the other suspects that he put forward.
Has any one any thoughts on this?
Dave James

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dave:

I am glad that the posts by AP Wolf and myself have been of use to you. When you mentioned a person from Halifax, Yorkshire, who was accused of sending a hoax Ripper letter, I believe you are thinking of Maria Coroner of Bradford who was prosecuted for sending a Ripper letter.

By the way, though, if you can find more information on Ms. Coroner, e.g., on whether she was sentenced, etc., I believe that might be information that could be useful to know. The Ripper authors that mention her just talk about her arrest, not her background or what ultimately happened to her. If you do find out more information about here, maybe you could even write an article for Ripperologist about her. Keep in contact with me thus, if you do decide to work on this aspect of the case.

Stewart P. Evans has made the point that there is probably to be "rediscovered" a lot of information on the murders in regional and foreign newspapers. The murders were reported worldwide and not all the information was published in the usually quoted London newspapers.

Thus, for example, as you can see on the boards today, Chris Scott is finding interesting information on the case in a Kansas newspaper, just as Mike Conlon and R. J. Palmer have found some important information on the case in New York, Chicago, and St. Louis newspapers.

Best regards

Chris

DaveJames
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris
thanks for your sugestion. I had a spare hour today and hit my local library. Fascinaitng. I had assumed that we had a daily newspaper in Halifax in 1888. The local library has an archive but the local newspapers at the time were weekly. In the time that I had today, I found a report of the Kelly murder which said that she was living with an orange seller. I think that this has come up before. What was interesting in the report, which only took up a small part of the page, was that the body was without the head. The head was below the bed. Has anyone seen this before? I must admit that this is new to me. Was this version of the crime scene in any American/Canadian newspapers? I am assuming that any news ( local or international)would have comr through a news agency. Can you or some other reader enlghten me?

On the same theme, would national news, as opposed to local news come from the same sources?

Reading, in the short time I had today, the local newspaper was more concerned with local issues. In Yorkshire we were 200 miles away from London. Is it possible that newsapers in the US were more aware of the the situation?
I had a quick chat with the librarian who said that at that time it was more likely that the local popultion would have been more concerned about local issues. Have you or anyone else come across this in your researches? It might be silly, but did NIMBY exist at that time?

DaveJames
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP Wolf
A seperate message to you. It was your book that made me look at Cutbush as a likely suspect. I read it in 1995 and it gave thought to to the possibility of Mr Cubush being a viable suspect. It seems to me, who ever JTR was, he would have been someone that the girls would have trusted. If Cutbush was a 'regular' in the area and not been seen as a threat, then the ladies would not have seen him as a 'threat', he would have been seen as " He's a nice guy, he's harmless, we all know him, he's OK". Please correct me If I'm wrong on your view of the mind set. Thanks very much for letting your book being available on this site. Right or wrong, at least you have courage in your convictions.
Dave

AP Wolf
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave

I am happy that it was the Myth that made you want to look at Thomas Cutbush closer, he does deserve close scrutiny that's for sure and will eventually reward that scrutiny.
Sorry but I don't go along with you about Cutbush being a Mister Nice Guy that all the prostitutes would not see as a threat. He was patently a very dangerous young man to anyone when alone, as I think I have shown in the new text.
But that is only opinion guided by some scant facts, so you might be right.
I am about to retire from the Jack the Ripper factual world - when the last chapter is complete of course which I hope will be early next week - to immerse myself in a new work concerning Thomas Cutbush, but thank heavens this is to be a fictional portrait of Thomas and the crimes of Jack the Ripper.
I hope that some young - or even old - hot shot is going to take up the cause and follow through on the information that I will be including in the last chapter, as I still feel Thomas and his uncle, Charles Henry, have a long way to go in this case yet.
After over ten years I need another rest.
If such a new gun is around who wants to thrash out the case of Thomas and make a new book about the strange young man they would have my 100% help and blessings.
Thanks for your positive comments.

AP Wolf
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Just to let you know that back in the old prehistoric days when I first started researching for the Myth the British Library was actually located in the British Museum, and I did the major research in the lovely old round reading room with servants bringing my books in their white gloved hands.
All I knew about Collindale was that it was a £23 taxi ride away from the British Museum which I could ill afford at the time, but the little cafe opposite doing bacon sandwiches and mugs of pure English tea was compensation.
I suppose things have changed.

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://casebook.org/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?tpc=4924&post=69353#POST69353

This link may be of interest re the Sun articles on Cutbush

AP Wolf
Inspector

Post Number: 248
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

what an excellent find, you are to be congratulated again.
It is so heartening to see more information coming to light regarding the truly peculiar Thomas Cutbush.
I know many will dismiss this as pure press speculation, but as I have said before the original Sun articles are not sensational at all and I think this Candian follow up reflects that careful approach to the story.
Well done!

Lisa Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

I distinctly remember when I was at school a mate of mine called Alison Cutbush told me a newspaper or someone had written to her dad regarding the family history and a link to Jack the Ripper. We lived in East London anyway, I can't remember now whether she said the researcher/ journalist or whatever said he was trying to contact just London Cutbushes or further afield.

This would have been about 1981.

Lisa

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is Dr Brooks (in fact, two Dr Brookses) of 137 Westminster Bridge Rd. I don't know whether it was Brooks senior or junior who gave Tom bad medicines!

brooks

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hat off to you Robert.
I do believe I just might have found a photograph of our Dr Brooks (senior), but the site wants money for it, so I'm negotiating... my latest offer an empty bottle of SSB.
I'll see if I can get it.

Bullo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

Does anyone know how the Sun first became aware of Cutbush and started linking him to the Ripper crimes? I wonder whether they were tipped off by an ex-inmate of Broadmoor or a member of the police force.

Regards Bullo

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the Druitt board:

"It appears to be true that Thomas Cutbush never appears in the official[Scotland Yard] files as a suspect.'

Natalie--Hi. (sorry to move your post). Yes, but isn't it fairly obvious from Macnaghten's report that Cutbush was investigated by the police for involvement in the Ripper crimes, albeit probably well after the fact? Macnaghten writes: "It was found impossible to ascertain his movements on the nights of the Whitechapel murders." This tells us they investigated the notion. Macnaghten also seems particularly annoyed that Cutbush's knife was still missing from the evidence room, held by Inspector Hale. Why did the inspector hold on to it? To me, Hale is really the mystery man in all of this; did he (as I suspect) hold suspicions against Cutbush? Was he perhaps even the initial impetus for the Sun's investigation? I've been remiss, and haven't followed the Cutbush thread very closely lately, but I'm somewhat surprised that, in support of his theory, AP hasn't poked a little deeper into the doings of Inspector Hale. Quite probably all the records have been eaten by rust and moths, but I think it would be the way I'd go. Cheers, RJP

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that pert little reminder, RJP, you are right I have been very slack in regard to Inspector Hale... my only excuse the bloody clocks and turrets of cloud Cutbush land.
I will spank myself severely and then apply myself to this new task.

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP--Don't mind me too much. My advice is like that that comes grumbling from a sinister & annoying Greek oracle; I'm just as likely to point you towards a cliff as towards home. But something in the slight bits we have about Hale captured my imagination. Not a heck of a lot to go on, I admit; just something about investigating this odd bird Cutbush; hanging on to the knife; saving a suspect wrongly accused; and then, sadly, going down in a frustrated spiral, hugging a certain amount of bitterness. There just might be a story there, somewhere.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good thinking though RJ.Clearly there was more to the investigations that were made into Thomas Cutbush and Hale was possibly one of the main investigators.
But seriously to have been put away in Broadmoor
would appear to mean that the police and court and doctors thought him to be very dangerous indeed---far more so than they did Kosminski or David Cohen for example.Neither Colney Hatch or Leavesdon could be compared with Broadmoor as places for harbouring dangerous and insane criminals.Yet that is where Thomas Cutbush ended his young life.
So AP perhaps your own and Robert"s and others investigations into the goings on of the Cutbush clan-esp re. wills and inheritances may eventually shed some light on it all-hope so...
Meanwhile
Happy Christmas
Natalie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.