Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Circumcision as Mutilation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Kosminski, Aaron » Circumcision as Mutilation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Radka
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Circumcision is performed on all Jewish boys just after birth. It is a surgery by which part of the foreskin is removed from the penis by a circular cutting motion. Circular cutting motions, circumcisions if you will, are found several times on Ripper victims. A circumcision was performed around the necks and throats of several victims in what most Riperologists have considered a prelude to decapitation. The breasts of other victims were removed by circumcising motions. Therefore circumcision is a repeating theme in the Whitechapel murders.

Could this mean the perpetrator was Jewish? Aaron Kosminski is a Jewish suspect in the case.

David

Jennifer D. Pegg
Police Constable
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it could mean the person may have cuut in a circular motion.
jennifer
ps i am sure i can cut in a circular motion i am not jewish!

Terry Heaps
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No matter who you suspect, the person you are looking for is completely out of his tree. A stark raving lunatic, who completely di-sected Mary Kelly over a period of time. Someone completely insane and out of this world. No-one in their right mind could possibly have perpetrated this kind of behaviour and be a part of society. A lot of the evidence points to a jewish man called Aaron Kosminsky, but alas there is no positive proof. Kosminsky was despatched to Coney Hatch mental institution to spend the rest of his days. I truly believe that this is a "Case Closed" scenario...We will never know the real truth, the investigation was bungled from the start. Our experts today would have it solved in days. These are just my thoughts.... Cheers Terry.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still think the circumcision angle is plausible. The murderer may have had childbirth on his mind. (1) He goes after the uterus,and (2) he performs circumcision. From uterus to circumcision in two short minutes is the norm for Jewish childbirth.

(PS I'm posting as Saddam because the web site won't accept my real name.)

Saddam Radka

Paul Gibson
Police Constable
Username: Rupertbear

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Terry,

But you're going to have to come up with something a lot more solid for this to be "case closed".

I agree that we may never truly know who Jack was but I would have to offer my personal opinion that Kosminski would not rank particularly highly on my list of candidates.

From what we know of his habits (i.e. eating off the streets) I think he is very likely to have been pretty damned shabby in appearance and in all likelihood would have looked (and maybe sounded) like an Eastern European jew. With all the media hype going on (after Dark Annie's murder) about "Leather Apron" I just cannot see the likes of Kosminski and Chapman being able to entice (e.g.) Catharine Eddowes into Mitre Square. Incidentally, I think it is the Eddowes murder that should be the prime focus not Kelly. The big question that this murder definitely raises is that of anatomical knowledge. A kidney is effectively hidden under a fatty membrane - in order to extract this at speed in the dark of Mitre Square, you are going to have to know your way around a human body...I find it difficult to except that even a slaughterman would be able to carry out this operation. Consequently, unless Kosminsky had hitherto unrecognised medical skills I would rule him out.

By the way, I think you are a little too harsh on the Victorian police force. Have you read much about the Yorkshire Ripper? His reign of terror went on for much longer and he dispatched loads more victims. The police only caught him by accident having interviewed him and dismissed his candidacy on four separate occasions. They also had the best part of another century's technical advancements to help them - That sounds more like bungling to me than Abberline and his cronies failure to catch Jack.

Brian W. Schoeneman
Detective Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Terry,

I won't start this thread going again, as it caused serious debate and arguing on the old message boards, but the Ripper didn't have to be "a stark raving lunatic". Indeed, no one who WAS a stark raving lunatic would have been able to pull off the murders.

One thing we can say for sure about the Ripper was that he blended well into the backdrop of Whitechapel. He never would have been able to escape so many times if he didn't. No start raving lunatic is going to be able to pull that off.

The Ripper was suffering from some sort of psychological problem, but he did not need to be suffering from any diagnosible and medically treatable mental illness.

And the only bungling was on the part of the Home Office, who allowed one of the only innovative investigative tools, the bloodhounds, to be lost all for the want of a measly 50 pounds. The Met did an excellent job with the limited resources of the CID and the crude forensics techniques of the era.

And with that, I'm sure I just reopened the old insanity wound. Let the flames begin! (Rich - that's your cue).

B

Brian W. Schoeneman
Detective Sergeant
Username: Deltaxi65

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Most Christians are circumsized as well, so not only did Rabbis learn the technique, I would think that most doctors or christian clerics were able to perform it as well.

Nice try, though.

B

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,

Circumcision amongst Christians in Britain is most unusual. It's undertaken for medical reasons but if you're not Jewish or a Muslim you're usually left intact.

I have never quite understood why circumcision seems to be the fashion in America. Perhaps someone could please explain it.

Cheers, Mark (uncut)

Matt Kosko
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Aaron Kosminski have homicidal tendencies and a hatred for women? I played and internet quiz on Jack the Ripper and that is what it said. I think that there are other errors on that quiz. If you want to play it and correct him, go to www.funtrivia.com and search Jack the Ripper under quizzes. Click on Jack the Ripper in the brackets below quiz search results and play the first one by DakotaNorth.

Saddam
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have no information that the Whitechapel murders were the result of "homicidal tendencies" or "hatred for women." Why do people speculate in this way? Where does it take them, and what do they do when they get there? It is a matter of putting thoughts into Jack the Ripper's head for him. How do we know what he was thinking?

I'd think the circumcision idea is more likely to be true than the "hom. tends." and the "HFW." Here we have actual crime scene evidence to indicate that circumcising cuts were made repeatedly, and in a Jewish neighborhood to boot.

Saddam

stephen lee
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

macnaghten states kosminski has these tendencies. "Kosminski-a polish jew-& resident in whitechapel.this man became insane owing to many years indulgence in solitary vices. he had a great hatred of women, specialy the prostitute class, & had strong homicidal tendencies: he was removed to a lunatic asylum about march 1889. there were many circumstances connected with this man which made him a strong suspect.

Andrew Spallek
Police Constable
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would have to say that the "real" Aaron Kosminski is an unlikely suspect in that he does not seem likely to meet the "shabby genteel" appearance requirement of the suspect as described by witnesses. As has been pointed out above, he was more likely a rather disgusting looking individual eating out of filthy street gutters, etc.

I don't necessarily discount the possibility that desperate prostitutes would take on such a client, even at the height of the Ripper outrage, but he doesn't meet the appearance test in my mind. However, let's remember that there seems to have been confusion over the identity of this individual and there may well be a good suspect with a similar-sounding name.

Also, I agree that some anatomical knowledge was almost certainly required of the killer, but not necessarily human anatomical knowledge. A butcher or slaughterer should possess enough knoweldge. Trouble is...a butcher should know how to sever a joint and should have no trouble removing a human head.

Andy Spallek

Michael Raney
Inspector
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I know this thread has been dead for almost a year. I never read it before (don't ask me why). Jews are not the only circumcised men in the world. Muslims are circumcised as well. So are the males of a few other Middle Eastern religions. Does this mean that our suspect could be middle Eastern? I should also mention that most modern American males are circumcised as well.

Mikey

(Message edited by Mikey559 on March 09, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.