Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Stephenson in Africa... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Stephenson, Roslyn Donston » Stephenson in Africa... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

D'onston went to Africa sometime[ late 1861 or early 1862 ] after his experiences in Italy [ with Garibaldi in 1860 as a member of the British Legion... [still waiting for a confirmation of the landing date of the "Excursionists" and will post it here a.s.a.p.].....

Without dissecting the three stories he produced for W.T.Stead at the moment, here are a pair of URL's that verify that there were a tribe of people who occupied Western Africa [ Mali,Cameroon,and Ghana ] named the SuSu back in the mid-19th Century...

In the Indiana Jones/faux Haggard stories of his adventures in Africa, he mentions the "Soo-Soo" people. This is undoubtedly Stephenson's way of phonetically explaining "Su-Su" to the British people....They were and are a people who have survived up to the present. I work with two women who are from Ghana who knew of their existence,but were unable to elaborate on my queries as to their current state of cultural life.

In any event, these URL's will briefly cover the SuSu people from an evangelizing perspective and their linguistic heritage.

http://www.isp.msu.edu/AfrLang/Susu_root.html

http://www.ksafe.com/profiles/p_code3/1401.html
HowBrown

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 2:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re: The excursionists, I wondered if you had seen this press article:

HARPERS' WEEKLY, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 1860 page 599

FOREIGN NEWS
ENGLAND

HOW GARIBALDI RECRUITS MEN

The London papers contain the following advertisement:

"A select part of excursionists intend to visit South Italy. As the country is somewhat unsettled, the excursionists will be furnished with means of self-defense, and with a view of recognizing each other, will be attired in a picturesque and uniform costume. General Garibaldi has liberally granted the excursionists a free passage to Sicily and Italy, and they will be supplied with refreshments and attire suitable for the climate. Information to be obtained at Captain Edward Styles' offices, No. 8 Salisbury Street, London, W. C. All persons desirous of joining the excursion, or willing to aid the same with their subscriptions, are requested to communicate immediately with the Committee of the Garibaldi Fund, at No. 8 Salisbury Street, Strand, London."

In answer to the numerous applications for information which are made by letter, a copy of the following circular is sent to each applicant:

"No. 8 SALISBURY STREET, LONDON, August, 1860

"SIR, - In reply to your letter of the ____ inst., I beg to forward you the following particulars:

"1. The English excursionists will be provided with free passage, costume, means of self-defense, and all necessary provisions during the voyage, and satisfactory person provisions will commence from the day they land.

"2. You can leave the English excursionists at any moment; but should you do so before their return to England, no claim will exist to any of the advantages which may fall to others.

"3. A personal interview is imperative, when you can learn all further particulars.

"The excursionists expect to leave within ___ days from this date. Three days' notice will be given to those going.

"Yours faithfully,
"EDWARD STYLES, Captain, Garibaldi's Staff"

The most remarkable offer made to the committee in London is one by a gentleman residing in the neighborhood of Lytham. He says that, if made Colonel, he would equip 800 men, and land them at any point which Garibaldi might wish.

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 2:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HARPERS' WEEKLY, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 1860 page 727

FOREIGN NEWS
ITALY
GARIBALDI'S BRITISH LEGION

The correspondent of the Daily News says that on the 19th the British Legion were under fire for the first time. The Royalists came out in strong force, and the English were opposed to them, and drove them before them within the walls of Capua. Eight of the Legion were killed, and thirty wounded.

The Journal des Debats says: "The British Legion is immediately attached to Garibaldi. Garibaldi reviewed the men. In the name of Italy he thanked England, in the person of her volunteers, for the great sacrifice she made in men, arms, and money, to uphold the cause of national independence; and concluded by saying it was the proudest moment of his life that he had under his command, and for his support, a legion of the free children of England."

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 2:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Details of a book:
Larmuth (George Horatio, Lance Corporal, volunteer in Garibaldi's army) My Adventures with the British Legion in Italy, watercolour and ink calligraphic title and 36pp. excluding blanks, original half morocco, gilt, slightly rubbed, [November 1860]; and a copy of Drill and Rifle Instruction …, issued to and signed by Larmuth, sm. 4to & 8vo (2). £200 - £300 Larmuth, asking for twelve months leave from the 1st Manchester Volunteers set off to join Garibaldi on his great quest to unify Italy. Travelling from Staffordshire, Larmuth went to London where he made contact with Garibaldi's London adherents and joined the newly formed British Legion. From their he and several others went by paddle steamer to Gibraltar where some of the men mutinied and sailed to Algiers. The remaining men landed at Naples where Larmuth comments on the Italian character and after a short stay, the men were issued with rifles and moved to Casenta where they met Garibaldi. The men of his army, including the British Legion paraded for him and he seemed well pleased but sad, so thought Larmuth, though he looked well and carried himself in an upright manner. They were ordered into battle [Volturno]: “My company got orders to charge. We fixed bayonets, ran past the Italian troops, who were laying down by the hedge, we pursued them, then down the trench, and up again on the other side, and found ourselves within stones throw from two Neapolitan Batteries on earthworks., we got pretty well shelled, and layed down… waiting. The enemy in front. So ended the first and last engagement of the British Legion.”

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris..

Thanks for posting that. I knew about it,but was waiting for the person who was selling a copy of that paper to get back to me before I put anything up....I'm glad that you did,because I probably would have forgotten about the Harper's story !!! Thanks,as usual,for bailing me out.
However,Chris..if possible,could you put this material up on the Stephenson in Italy thread that I will initiate right now and possibly get Steve to delete them from here? I hope that this is not a problem....Thanks buddy !!!! And also delete THIS post likewise.

In fact, I will copy and paste them to the new Stephenson In Italy thread, Chris....Please see if Steve will delete the posts in question.

(Message edited by howard on May 27, 2005)
HowBrown

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.