Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

HEY, HEY, EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS POST!!!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Maybrick, James » The Diary Controversy » HEY, HEY, EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS POST!!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the subject title I was just trying to get someone's attention.

I just wanted to ask a question, is there any way that I could find the Maybrick diary, rather than essays on it? Prefferably on the internet if someone knows, as I don't want to have to pay any money.

I have asked this question on another thread, but there's so many Maybrick threads that I have no idea where it is and I have neither the patience nor will to search for it.

Regards, Catch-22 character.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 6:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried a library?

Love,

Caz
X

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Catch-22

You need to get a copy of Shirley Harrison's The Diary of Jack the Ripper which contains the full text of the Diary plus facsimile pages. You will not find the full text on the Internet.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wintergreen -

After all your wonderful contributions, I am happy to be able to give you something back.

Chris and Caz are indeed right. The diary from Harrison's 1993 Smith & Gryphon copy is facsimilied in full and the text is also fully printed in context for ease of reading and mirth.

eBay and Amazon are always selling dozens of copies for next to nothing. If you are happy to shell out a couple of quid, you could get yourself a second-hand paperback of it including P&P for keeps. And you could use it for toilet paper afterwards. I've heard that Maybrick is very absorbant, but you don't get 200 sheets.

Or maybe you could just ask the smashing (sincere!) Robert Smith if he'll just loan the original to you?

God, I hope that last one is juggling balls.

PHILIP

Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you are about to disappear up your own A*se Philip!!!

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey George!

Looks like I will be in London next week; what's your tour schedule look like?

Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Peppermint
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wintergreen,

If you can wait a week I will create Prince Albert Victor's diary for you. Have to go now; I gotta find a pot of ink and some old paper.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the title of this thread sum up diary world?
"All you need is positivity"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.