Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through January 08, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » Cutbush in the 1881 Census » Archive through January 08, 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some great photos there, Rob. Thanks for that.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen that building so often when i"ve gone to get stuff from Atlantis opposite.Learning about the Whitechapel Bell Foundry has given it a whole new significance!
Thanks Rob
Natalie

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, thanks for that, but you’ll have to excuse me, I been in clock land now for days and all I hear is chimes and bells.
Bird Cage clocks are also known as ‘Lantern’ or ‘Chamber’ clocks, these are immense rarities today, and I mean immense.
The developing science of such clocks was very much driven by a desire to discover or find new methods of accuracy, largely driven by what is termed as ‘escapement’.
This is tough and weird science, but important, for I now believe that the Cutbush family of Maidstone were very much in the forefront of this new science - as my previous post showed they were the actual developers of the new spring driven Cage Bird or Lantern clock - and as can be seen from the following quotes the development of escapement movements was paramount to the design of such clocks.
It has also recently come to my attention that subtle and supposedly new techniques used by the Taylors & Mears Foundry’s to cast bells without fear of strike damage - as in Big Ben - when patented were refused, as Dutch patents existed some two hundred years before.
I am beginning to think that there is a genuine parallel here to the development of Lord Grimthorpe’s supposedly new ‘gravity escapement’ movement.
I think John Cutbush had it before him.
And Thomas knew it.
As I think you’ll see from the quotes below, the chances of finding a genuine Cutbush Cage Bird clock from Maidstone is nil. Most makers are not even known today.
But I did find two.
This is almost rocket science.

‘Lantern clocks, any genuine weight-driven lantern clocks, are very uncommon items these days, and increasingly so in this last three or four years. They are amongst the most exciting of all clocks because of their sheer age and the near miraculous fact that, being obsolete for such a length of time, any survive at all.’

‘The style of clock called a 'lantern clock' was the first type of domestic clock.
A lantern clock is square-ish, and is a wall clock, being hung from a hook on the wall. The distinguishing features are a bell on top of the clock, and a metal case. The bell is struck to indicate the hours. Most original lantern clocks have an hour hand only.
These clocks were made of iron originally but later brass was preferred, often with thickly gilded dials. The earliest would run for just 12 hours, needing adjustment every day. Later models ran for one day or perhaps 30 hours.
The weights hang down below. They have no pendulum, which was not invented until 1658. Originally, lantern clocks had a balance wheel escapement but these rarely survive. Many were converted in the late 17th century to short pendulum and verge escapements, and later to a long pendulum with an anchor escapement.
They date from the 1620s at the earliest and were built throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. Reproductions have continued to be made.
These can also be called chamber or bird-cage clocks.’

‘A really eccentric few, and only a very few, decided on separate trains which wound with a key, just like an eight-day clock. Why was this? What possible benefit was there in key winding for a thirty-hour clock? Well, I personally can't see any at all, other than the fact that the two separate trains left the owner with the option not to wind the strike, and so to run the clock as a non-striker whenever required. But then rope-winding with two separate ropes would do the same.
Very few clockmakers made key-wound thirty-hour clocks. Those who did worked mostly in the late seventeenth century and early eighteenth. Even counting illustrations in books I don't think I've seen more than eight or ten such clocks in total in my life.’

That last quote is from the expert of all the experts; and I think contains the germ of the Cutbush inheritance.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert (House)

I did visit your site several times but somehow missed the photo of the Whitechapel Foundry, so thanks for that.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3666
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From March 13th 1798

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert
I tracked down the 8 day spring clock by Gardiner. Do you realise how many Gardiner clock makers there were of the period?
Absolutely hundreds.
But none of them made clocks.
That is the type of sense that this search makes.
Gardiners were Gardners and Gardners were Gardeners and so on and so forth.
However when I said I had found two such clockmakers, I did mean that I had found two such Cutbush clockmakers, but tarnation I lost one in the ether.
It was an American auction website where the Cutbush clock was going for about six grand, that's sterling.
The only example of its kind in the world, but then I found the other one which I posted last night.
It was a beauty as well.
The real problem here is that the history does not exist, the clock buffs admit it.
But they are mere clock buffs and I'm quite sure that between us we can nail it.
I did get a respectable hit last night which I must now go and find again.
Laying down half empty brandy glass the old goon hits on goggle again.
'Poor neddy, he's fallen down the stairs.'

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's 'the' man on Cutbush clocks:

'I am embarrassed to say that I have not heard of this maker. Do you have any pictures of this clock? Any recent catalog listings of auctions or anything? If their clocks are commanding high prices, there must be something special about the movement. If there is, I too would be interested and may pay a good price. At any rate let me know if you have any pictures.

Britten's lists a Cutbush R. 1723, and Cutbush Jno, c. 1700 both in Maidstone. But in connection with the manufacture of longcase clocks - no reference to tower clocks.

Baillie vol 1 lists Cutbush, John c. 1744 at Maidstone.

Baillie vol 2 lists the following all at Maidstone:
Charles, son of John 1734
George, 1725 to father, John
John, 1722-32 (44?)
John, 1765 to father, Richard (or father Robert?)
Richard, 1761 to father Robert
Robert 1761-65
Thomas, 1702 - a locksmith
William, 1727 to father, John

This is all the info I could find!

Mark'

I sent Mark the photo and the price of the Cutbush clock.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And this is the Cutbush clock I tried to sell him:

'Mark
> here is a Cutbush clock available to purchase on-line at <p4a.com,ltd.>:
>
> Tall Case Clock; English, George III, Cutbush (Jonathan), Mahogany, Domed
> Top, Inlay with Urn, Brass Dial.
> p4A.com item 78067
>
>
> Category: clocks & watches
> Type: tall case
> Origin: England
> Year: 1760 - 1780
>
> An English Chippendale inlaid mahogany tall case clock by Jonathan Cutbush
> of Maidstone. The bonnet with astragal glazed door opening to a brass and
> silvered dial with...'
>

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, I'd like to see a photo. Blimey, these things were old!

August 30th 1974

Robert

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SERIOUSLY OLD!!!!!!
Love the idea of a Chamber Clock though Rob!!!!!!

suzi

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Robert
I did have a photo of the clock but have now lost it.
The auction site no longer features the clock as it has been sold, and a long search for it has yielded the usual result when one types 'cutbush' into any search engine.
Nix.
I will pursue it though.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, this might make up for the missing Cutbush clock:
(proceedings of the Old Bailey 1833)

‘JAMES STODDART. I am a watch manufacturer, and live in Red Lion-street, Clerkenwell. On the 30th of September I packed up a number of watches, and gave them to Thomas Taylor, my assistant, to go to Miller's Wharf; they were in a deal box, directed to the care of Gill and Son, Aberdeen.’

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marvellous find, AP! As soon as i can i'll see if i can find anything on this pair.

Robert

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 4:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP and Robert
EXAMS OVER!!!
I can see you have both been extremely busy and come up with some great finds! it will take me a while to catch up with it all though! I have also sent off my registration form at last, so may be a member soon.

I know this is on another thread AP but you forensic thread of 1788 was very interesting, Forensic science is the subject I am studying for my degree, unfortunately it also includes the study of four different types of chemistry, but I think I have done ok in the exams.

I had thought about looking more into the other Cutbush family, (the green fingered ones) and seeing if i can find any links between them and the family of Thomas Hayne Cutbush or Charles Cutbush, there seems to be a link to Kent in both cases, I have a basic family tree for them but need to flesh it out more, I think the Thomas Cutbush that Robert gave me the details of, living at Bucks Row in 1871 and adopted, may be connected to this other family, and I think he may also be a Thomas H Cutbush ( Hubie possibly)
It's been a while since I looked at it all though so I am going to refresh my memory first.

Debra

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert, I did enjoy that find.
Welcome back Debra - and thanks for your kind comments - I think you might find some of the following post of interest as well.

What I’m finding is that almost every family name mentioned in the wills and other documents is somehow connected to the law making and enforcement agencies of Whitechapel during the 18th & 19th centuries, the notable exception being the Cutbush family who do not figure in any records I have found.
However the Flood, Little, Taylor, Page, Mears and Cobb families of that time period figure prominently in every area of the criminal justice system.
Numerous - far too many to post here - examples exist, as prosecutors, officers of the Parish, Beadles of the Parish, oyers and jurors.
Interestingly the Beadles of the Parish are known as the ’Beadles of St Lukes’.
Even names that have been mentioned in passing appear to also have a similar involvement in the Whitechapel area - such as Thomas Holbrook from the London Hospital who was sponsored by a Flood and Mears, and was himself a prosecutor.
The list is almost endless.
The fact that the Cutbush family do not appear in such records seems to imply to me that the connection between the Cutbush family and the others is a later one.
It does also seem to me that all the other families are linked by this attachment for law enforcement, and by St Luke’s Church and the London Hospital.
For the moment I am at a loss to explain the sudden arrival of the Cutbush clan into this very select enclave, and the only notion I have so far is that it must have been through clocks, for again this is a valid linkage between most of the families in this regard.
In that regard I have found that the Taylor family of London were very famous clockmakers indeed - of exactly the same type of clock as the Cutbush chamber or ‘bird cage’ variety - the family business descending through three generations of Thomas Taylor’s, eventually residing with a John Taylor whose very rare clocks today command an auction price of $35,000. (Robert, one is available now and yes I do have the photo, let me know if you want to bid on the clock!).
For Debra’s benefit, the Cobbs were big time merchant bankers and brokers, and the Little family was very well connected indeedee… you’ll find them sitting in charge of sessions of the Old Bailey, and cavorting with all manner of royalty.
Just a couple of connections.
I found this Thomas Cobb as a trainee surgeon at the London Hospital:

1807 Old Bailey

‘THOMAS COBB. -

Mr. Gurney. I believe you are a pupil at the London hospital. - A. I am; under Mr. Thomas Blizard.
Q. Were you at the hospital on the afternoon of the 10th of October. - A. I was.
Q. Was the deceased brought to the hospital. - A. He was, between five and six o'clock in the evening.
Q. Did you examine the wound he had received. - A. I did; I found a ball had entered in the spine of the neck, it was between the last bone of the neck and the first of the back; I found the wound was dangerous; he had lost the use of the lower extremities.
Q. Did that loss of the use of the lower extremities proceed from the wound of the spinal marrow. - A. It did.
Q. How long did he live. - A. He lived till between ten and eleven o'clock the next day I was present when the body was opened; I found a ball or slug in the spine of the marrow. I produce the slug.’

And this very early rape committed upon an Elizabeth Cobb, which I’m trying hard to find more about:

‘ELIZABETH WHITES, sexual offences: rape, 22 May 1776.
The Proceedings of the Old Bailey Ref: t17760522-56
Homepage » Search » Results » Session Text

Trial Summary:
Crime(s): sexual offences : rape,
Verdict: Not Guilty,
Other trials on 22 May 1776
Name search for: ELIZABETH WHITES,

See original
Original Text:
495. ELIZABETH WHITES was indicted, that a certain man, whose name to the Jurors is yet unknown, and ELIZABETH the wife of WILLIAM WHITES, not having the fear of God before her eyes, but being moved and seduced by the instigation of the devil, upon Elizabeth Cobb, spinster, violently and feloniously did make an assault, and that the said man, her the said Elizabeth Cobb, against her will, did ravish and carnally know, and that the prisoner Elizabeth Whites was present aiding, abetting, comforting, assisting, and maintaining the said man the said felony to do and commit, April 14th.
NOT GUILTY.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a small word of caution on the Cutbush wills and other documents where 'Tower' and 'Royalty' are mentioned.
The parish - or parishes - encompassed by the church of St Luke's of Chelsea were known at the time of the Cutbush wills as 'Royal Towers', 'Tower Royals' and so on. It appears there was even confusion amongst the beadles and parish offices as to the correct naming of the parish, and where the boundaries of the parish ended. I have the judge at the OB getting a real cob on about this.
References to folk being employed at the 'Royal Tower' or similar may well mean that they were merely employed by the parish authorities.
I'll reference the cases when I have some time.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
also going back to some previous history where you found several links to the Floods and Mears - and Cutbush now I think - at Brighton, marriages, deaths, wills and the like, I do feel that this chap may well be the reason.
A damn fine artist, who I believe had a founding in the foundry, and lived most of his life at Brighton:

Artist: Mears, George (British, active 1860-1895) - Oilpaintings on canvas
Place: Lived and worked in Newhaven, Great Britain
Motifs: Ship Portraits of Cross Channel Paddle or Screw Steamers, Yachts
Prices: Prices starting at BP 800 (Great Britain). Prices depend on subject, size, date, quality and condition. Please send us an e-mail to receive an exact offer for your work by this artist (free of charge for persons considering to sell their painting).
Notes: Mears worked as an official artist to a railway company for which he portrayed many of their steamers, but also other sailing vessels and yachts. A feature of his paintings is the small coastline in the far distance. Information about the artist and his oeuvre can also be found in our book "Ship Portrait Artists".
The FineArtEmporium is interested in the direct purchase of fine works by George Mears and can pay a good price. Please refer to our page "Contact" and send an e-mail to bais@gmx.de with the information requested there. You will receive an answer usually within 24 hours (up to a few days in rare cases).

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Friday, December 24, 2004 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Must look this up AP-Many Thanks
Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This item from Jul 20 1911 seems to show that the name Cutbush was losing what lustre it once had. Not a word about Luke Flood Cutbush (the grandfather).

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Important find, Robert.
For I too remember how the Cutbush name was crowed back in the 1800's when applying for some official position in the ward or Parish.
Tainted blood I fear.
I reckon the imprisonment of Thomas for life in Broadmoor, the suicide of uncle Charles, and the impolite fracas over the Cutbush properties finished the tribe off socially.
I had found Venables as a woollen merchant some time ago but ignored it at the time, must have a look at that again.
My feeling is that the Mears were much bigger fish than we previously thought.
Real empire builders.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
I think you might find this of interest, from the Old Bailey of course:

(1806)
Original Text:
266. EDMUND JOHNSON was indicted for
See originalreturning from transportation before the expiration of the term for which he was ordered to be transported

- STEVENS sworn. I am turnkey of Maidstone prison; in the county of Kent.

Q. Was you present when this man was tried. - A. No; I remember him perfectly well being in the prison; he came to Maidstone prison on the 18th of January, in the year 1803; he was committed as a felon; he was very ill.

Cross-examined by Mr. Alley.

Q. Do you know upon your oath, that he was ever at the bar. - A. I do, I took him from, Maidstone and put him on board the bulk on the 2d of May, 1803.

EDWARD ROGERS sworn. I am an officer, I produce the certificate of the conviction of Edmund Johnson, I saw Mr. Knapp write it, and I saw him sign it.

Q. When was he tried. - A. The 14th of March, 1803; he was ordered to be transported for seven years

Q. You was not present when the man was tried. - A. I was not; Brown and I apprehended the man at the Hampshire Hog, Rosemary-lane, in the parish of Whitechapel.

ROBERT BROWN sworn. I am an officer of Shadwell office; I know no more than we received information that he was returned from transportation; I and Rogers apprehended him on the 22d of March last.

WILLIAM CUTBUSH sworn. I am county smith for the country of Kent.

Q. Do you know the prisoner at the bar. - A. Very well.

Q. Were you at Maidstone in the year 1803. - A. Yes, I was at the assizes, I saw the prisoner at the bar tried, he was tried by the name of Edmund Johnson; I have got a calender that I made a memorandum at the same time; I assisted Mr. Watson on account of his being ill.

Q. You have no doubt of his being the man that was tried and convicted. - A. No, I went with Stevens to Portsmouth with him, he was delivered on board the Captivity hulk, the receipt that Mr. Stevens had brought here, I saw the captain sign it.

Q. The only question is, whether he is the same man - A. I am sure of that.

Cross-examined by Mr. Alley.

Q. You say you are county smith, is that a new appointed place or a place of old description - A. Old, my father was before me, to make the chains and every thing that they want, it is appointed by the justices.

Q. We learn something every day; then besides your office of county smith you was assisting the keeper of that prison. - A. Yes, on account of Mr. Watson being ill.

Q. You have positively sworn to the prisoner at the bar being the man, do you mean to persist in it. - A. I do.

Q. When was you called upon to be a witness upon this trial. - A. On Tuesday.

Q. Can you tell how long the prisoner at the bar was in custody at Maidstone. - A. No, he was removed from this prison a day or two before the assizes came on.

Q. You never come the first day to the assize, did you attend the goal. - A. I never attend the goal no more than to do my work there.

Q. Then all the observations that you have made was at the trial. - A. Yes, and afterwards going down to Portsmouth with him.

Q. You know there is a reward of twenty pound upon conviction. - A. I do not know nothing of the reward.

Q. Upon your oath, do not you know there is a reward. - A. I know there is a reward.

Q. What did you mean by saying that you did not know. - A. I did not say so.

Jury. You did say so.

Prisoner's Defence. I have been on board a ship, I have served in many actions; I was along with admiral Jervis seven years ago.

GUILTY - DEATH, aged 25

Second Middlesex Jury, before Mr. Recorder.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another rare Cutbush at the Old Bailey, 1828:

Original Text:
Before Mr. Baron Gurrow.

1979. WILLIAM HILL was charged, on the Coroner's Inquisition, with killing and slaying Joseph Pearson.

ELIZA CUTBUSH. I live in New Church-street, Edgware-road - there is a canal near my house; the deceased was four years old - he was missing for some time, and at last his body was found in the canal: the prisoner is eight years and a half old - I had some conversation with him, before the body was found; I was anxious to know where it was, and told him nothing should happen to him, if he told the truth.

ANN FUZZY. I had some conversation with the prisoner, in his mother's presence - he was told he should not be hurt if he told the truth.

JAMES COGWELL. In consequence of information from the witnesses, I went to the canal with the prisoner; I could not find the body where he pointed out - I found it a considerable distance from the spot.

NOT GUILTY

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3695
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, AP, there do seem to have been Cutbushes doing work at Maidstone jail, be they locksmiths or carpenters or whatever. Here are some examples :Kent Quarter Sessions
Catalogue Ref. Q
Creator(s):
Canterbury Quarter Sessional Division, c 1350-1797
Maidstone Quarter Sessional Division, c 1350-1797
Kent Court of Quarter Sessions, 1797-1814
Kent Court of Annual General Session, 1814-1971

ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS

GOALS AND HOUSES OF CORRECTION - ref. Q/AG

West Kent Gaol at Maidstone

The building of the new gaol at Maidstone

FILE - William Cutbush of Maidstone carpenter, for oak works and centering. Contract, bond, plans. - ref. Q/AGw/7/16 - date: 1814

FILE - Thomas Cutbush of Maidstone, plumber, plazier and painter for plumbers and joiners work. Specifications, draft contracts, contract, bond. - ref. Q/AGw/7/18 - date: 1815

FILE - William Cutbush of Maidstone, carpenter, for a new roof for the gaol manufactory. Specification, contract, bond, plan. - ref. Q/AGw/8/1 - date: 1820

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now we are firing, Robert.
That's what I like to see!
I'm going to follow all that and see what I find.
Meanwhile I find that I have a William Cutbush residing with a John Wilson in 1834 - this is John Wilson, police serjeant, number F10 - right in the areas that interest us.
John Wilson was involved in some very heavy duty murder trials as the police witness.
The body snatcher's stuff.
I'm not sure yet, but I think this William Cutbush was the surveyor.
Still working on this.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 5:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, here are some records re Cutbushes. Henry and William, carpenters, seem to have gone bankrupt early 19th cent but recovered the business and declared a dividend.

Kent Quarter Sessions
Catalogue Ref. Q
Creator(s):

ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS

GOALS AND HOUSES OF CORRECTION - ref. Q/AG

West Kent Gaol at Maidstone

The building of the new gaol at Maidstone

FILE - William Cutbush of Maidstone carpenter, for oak works and centering. Contract, bond, plans. - ref. Q/AGw/7/16 - date: 1814

FILE - Thomas Cutbush of Maidstone, plumber, plazier and painter for plumbers and joiners work. Specifications, draft contracts, contract, bond. - ref. Q/AGw/7/18 - date: 1815

FILE - William Cutbush of Maidstone, carpenter, for a new roof for the gaol manufactory. Specification, contract, bond, plan. - ref. Q/AGw/8/1 - date: 1820

Kent Quarter Sessions
Catalogue Ref. Q
Creator(s):

FINANCIAL RECORDS

Gaol and House of Correction (West Kent) - ref. Q/FG

Bundles of accounts submitted by the architect and contracting tradesmen for work done at the new gaol

FILE - Carpenters (Wm. Cutbush) - ref. Q/FGw/11 - date: 1815-1818

FILE - Plumbers, painters and glaziers (Thos. Cutbush) - ref. Q/FGw/14 - date: 1816-1819

Kent Quarter Sessions
Catalogue Ref. Q
Creator(s):

CLERK OF THE PEACE OFFICE

COURT OF INSOLVENT DEBTORS - ref. Q/CI

FILE - Assignment for benefit of creditors - ref. Q/CI/389 - date: 1839
[from Scope and Content] Name: William Cutbush

Kent Quarter Sessions
Catalogue Ref. Q
Creator(s):

ENROLMENT, REGISTRATION AND DEPOSIT

HIGHWAYS - ref. Q/RH

JUSTICES' ORDERS

FILE - Yalding - ref. Q/RH/2/263 - date: 1831
[from Scope and Content] Footpath near Lattingford Bridge, leading from there through lands of Thomas Robert Cutbush, Ann and Elizabeth Simmons, Mary Mason, widow, and Sir John Kenward Shaw, baronet, into the road between Yalding and Brenchley, opposite the Manor Pound, 1,144 yards long, 4 feet wide, to be stopped up as unnecessary.
Documents of the Earls of Romney, settled estates
Catalogue Ref. U1644
Creator(s):
Marsham family, Earls of Romney, of Mote Park, Maidstone, Kent

[Note]
For the sake of brevity the following short names are employed throughout this catalogue: "Romney" to denote the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Romney or Baron Romney for the time being, "Lord Marsham" to denote the Rt. Hon. the Viscount Marsham, eldest son of the Earl of Romney for the time being, "the Mote" to denote Mote Park or Mote House, Maidstone.

ESTATE

FILE - Disagreement - ref. U1644/E69 - date: 1820
[from Scope and Content] Over building oast house, apparently at Maidstone, Romney and Mr. Cutbush, latter bankrupt, and working under agreement with [Daniel] Alexander; Romney will complete oast house when he has means; compensation for Romney's alleged breach of contract [correspondence of Romney with attornies]

Cobb of Margate, Family and Business Papers
Catalogue Ref. EK-U1453
Creator(s):
Cobb family of Margate, Kent

BUSINESS PAPERS

Margate Brewery

Brewery correspondence - ref. EK-U1453/B2/40

Supplementary letters found subsequently

FILE - John Cutbush, Maidstone - ref. EK-U1453/B2/40/625 - date: 1808

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert
I'll study that, but wasn't there anyway a Cobb family mentioned in one of the Cutbush wills?

Meanwhile I've found a bit more on the Floods:

'THOMAS LIPSCOMBE was indicted for that he, on the 23d of June, 1828, was convicted at Hammersmith, before Luke Thomas Flood, Esq. one of his Majesty's Justices of the Peace, for that the said Thomas Lipscombe did, on the 18th of June, in the year aforesaid, at Fulham, unlawfully steal a vegetable production,
See original(to wit) 14 roots, called lettuce, value 8d., the property of Henry Adam, then growing in a certain garden there situate; against the Statute, &c.: and the said Luke Thomas Flood did adjudge the said Thomas Lipscombe, for his said offence, to be imprisoned in the House of Correction at Clerkenwell, and there to be kept to hard labour for one calendar month

LUKE THOMAS FLOOD. My partners name is Henry Bond, we live in Leicester-place Leicester-square, we are leather sellers. ‘

I’ve also found a couple of court cases prosecuted by the Flood family against varmints who were caught nicking valuable plants out of their garden, but they are very long winded so I won’t post them. However interesting to see that the Floods had green fingers just like the Cutbush clan. One Mrs Flood was so fond of her plants that she used to stand guard in the garden of a night to deter would-be-thieves.
I hadn’t realised that Luke Thomas Flood was actually one of his Majesty’s Justices of the Peace, so that was a nice find.
Working on bigamists right now.
I’ve found a Thomas Taylor who was a right little tinker… and I’ve come across a John Taylor, famous bigamist but also involved in high treason against king and crown, still looking at this though.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3699
Posted on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP herewith two items about LTF, one comic, one tragic.

APRIL 30 1838

JUNE 23 1860

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I felt that perhaps a small review of the material gathered in the last year concerning Thomas Hayne Cutbush, and his complicated family might be useful in calming the rumbling bellies of some hungry troops in the ranks.
At the beginning - about two years ago - we had a valid but almost unknown suspect called Thomas Hayne Cutbush. Most dismissed this strange young chap out of hand, and those who didn’t were fairly dismissive in their attitudes towards him.
Only two avenues of investigation into THC seemed possible: firstly that his uncle just happened to be a senior police officer serving with Scotland Yard at the time of the Ripper murders; and secondly was Thomas’ strange letter writing habits, in particular the letter he chose to write to - of all people - the celebrated and powerfully placed Lord Grimthorpe.
Apart from these two oddities, THC was a complete and utter unknown, largely portrayed as a bumbling misfit of a lunatic from some ‘umble East End family… who just happened to have - by chance, by coincidence, by god - an uncle at Scotland Yard, who had obviously bettered himself and now moved in a higher strata of society.
But the clock has ticked since then, and we now know that THC actually came from an immensely wealthy and influential family, whose influence and power spread right through the entire social fabric and institutions of the entire Victorian Age.
Members of his extended family were so entwined within the criminal justice system that they practically were the criminal justice system of that age. In every sphere of influence and power his family were there, as Beadles or Parish Officers, oyers, wardens, policemen, prosecutors, warrant givers and warrant servers, bailiffs and bailiffs’ officers, judges and even Justice’s of the Peace (over three counties of Her Majesty’s kingdom if you please).
The grip of the family on the Old Bailey is unmistakeable, for the records show they were fully represented in the second highest court in the land from the moment the trials were recorded - the early 1700’s - right up to 1840 when the trial records are closed to inspection.
The same family were intimately involved in great institutions like the London Hospital - which also played a major role in the investigations into the Ripper crimes - and St Luke’s of Chelsea, and a variety of Alms Houses, Working Lad’s Institutions, and other charitable organizations.
A charity founded by his ancestors is still opening its doors to the homeless and downtrodden today… under the family name, and memorial plaques dedicated to these same ancestors can still can be read in the famous St Luke’s Chelsea.
This was no ‘umble family from the East End.
And Thomas Hayne Cutbush was in no way a ‘umble lad.

A recent post from Robert highlighted this dramatically when a direct relative of THC had his solid gold snuff box stolen from his table at the Lord Mayor’s Banquet.
What rogues were about in those days! At the Lord Mayor’s Banquet if you please!

We have seen, again in dramatic fashion, how the wealth and property of this once influential family was suddenly stripped from its inheritor - THC - by greedy members of a related family, who then it turn die in relative poverty and obscurity.
How funny that Debra has just found exactly the same thing happening in another branch of the family.
And what became of the family fortune?
We don’t yet know… but we will.

We have also seen how it would have been perfectly legitimate for THC to be in contact with Lord Grimthorpe by letter, through their shared family interests in turret clock making and design.
But more than that we are actually able to marry an ancestor of THC into the famous Mears family of the equally famous Whitechapel Foundry, who not only made Big Ben for Lord Grimthorpe but also had a bitter and protracted legal row with the Lord for many years concerning their professional reputations when Big Ben split under the hammer.

As I’ve said before, the last two examples of research that I have highlighted, have been the most convincing evidence yet to be revealed that THC was not Jack the Ripper. But we have not been shy about that, on the contrary we have run with it and are still running with it.
The end is the end, no matter the result.
In the first instance it does show that members of his own family stood to benefit financially - and how! - from firstly his certification as a lunatic and secondly from his imprisonment for life in Broadmoor.
In the second instance it provides a perfectly rational explanation for THC to be writing a letter to Lord Grimthorpe. Prior to this the letter has always been seen as a random act of lunacy.

We at least now know where THC came from and where he went.
It is the middle bit that eludes us, but we will get it.

Below is the modern Flood charity:

'The Public Register of Social Landlords
Page updated Thursday 23 December 2004
Should you have any comments about the public register please email: public.register@housingcorp.gsx.gov.uk

The Flood Charity
Housing Corporation Registered Number A4037
Housing Corporation Regulation Field South
Charity Status Charity
Companies House registered number
Charity Commission number 230785
Register of Friendly Societies number

Registered Name and Address Correspondence Name and Address
The Flood Charity The Flood Charity
Hanover House Hanover House
1 Bridge Close 1 Bridge Close
Staines Staines
Middlesex Middlesex
TW18 4TB TW18 4TB
01784 446000 01784 446000
Fax - 01784 446060 Fax - 01784 446060'

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3709
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, AP, even if THC turns out to be innocent, it's good to shed some light on him and his family.

I've noticed one or two more people getting interested recently. You have quite a little band now, AP.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a general note on bigamy during the LVP, as some members of the extended Cutbush family certainly indulged in that rare vice.
Although not legal, if a bigamist offered the defence that his first wife had given him permission to marry again - whilst still married to the first party - and that the second party was perfectly aware of this arrangement, then the courts generally acquitted the bigamist.
Reading between the lines of the many cases I have studied I would guess that the prime motivation for such second marriages was financial gain…
Sort of: ’Go on, Charles, marry her and her dowry will pay for the new roof.’
I suspect the Cutbush clan were well aware of this little legal nicety and used it accordingly.

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, you have these families incredibly well sussed out.
I haven't spent much time on the Trapp will, as it's so hard to decipher ( Robert is much better than me with these wills ) but there seems to be a familiar story emerging.
John the bun muncher Trapp was named along with his sisters to inherit equal shares in the first will of his father in 1799, he would have been 15 then and his intelligence problems would surely have been noticed by then!
Luke Flood was executor of the will, not sure if snr. or jnr. But Luke Flood jnr. was in 1799 married to Charlotte Page, but by 1807 he was married to Elizabeth Trapp, heiress. Some time between then and 1835 the family managed to have control of John Trapp's inheritance taken from him, because they claimed since 1823 ( in his thirties ) he had been of unsound mind, and not as I thought from birth.

Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3779
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 5:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra, my apologies. I've only just seen this fascinating post.

I have six wills, including Luke Flood Cutbush's (7 or 8 pages - a nightmare!) I still haven't been into LFC's properly but gave synopses of some of the others to AP. I'll try to paste those onto the Boards.

Sorry I've been a bit out of it lately. I'm finding it hard to concentrate, but will try and get back in the swing of things hopefiully in a few weeks' time.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 5:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Debra
excellent piece of information.
Keep digging, I'm sure there is much more, in the meantime I'll see if I can't find some more detail on this.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3781
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 6:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CUTBUSH WILLS/ADMIN
Here are the wills of Kate and Clara.

Clara Elizabeth Hayne 16 Durand Gardens Surrey d. 30th June 1909 at 16
Durand. Admin to sister Kate Cutbush of 53 Denmark Hill Surrey. Gross £246
- 5 - 0.

Appoints Kate executrix and trustee. In the will Kate's addresses were given
as 16 Durand and 72 Brixton Rd Surrey.

Kate gets her 13 shares in the borough of Portsmouth Water Works Company.

Her share in the freehold house in Shirburn St Watlington Oxfordshire in
the occupation of Mrs Randall.

Her share in the freehold land called Britwell Field situate on Britwell
Rd, parish of Britwell Oxfordshire in the occupation of the executors of
the late Mr Franklin.

Kate gets residue.

Will dated 21st July 1908.

Witnesses Clara Edith Hayne 93b Azenby Rd Peckham
Janet Hayne same address

Kate Cutbush of 95 a Azenby Rd Peckham

Died at home 16th Nov 1922

Will dated 14th Nov 1921

Witnesses Henry England Barren solr

and Evelyn H Barren of 78 Lyndhurst Rd
SE 15

Leaves all her property to her nieces Clara Edith and Jeannette Hayne in
equal shares as tenants in common.

Gross £25
Net £5 - 16 - 6

I think that somewhere on the Cutbush or Fieldgate St threads I posted census
info on this other Newington Hayne family with a US connection. I can't
quite remember, but I think they were blood relatives.

The TC who died Edmonton 1884 (labourer) seems not to have made a will.

I actually had my target right the first time - I'd ordered the will of
a TC of Kent who died very rich indeed - 40k or something like that. Then
I got confused and changed to another TC.

Anyway, This one died intestate :

Thomas Cutbush gentleman died 24th May 1877 at 9 Woburn Buildings Middlsex

Admin on 30th October 1877 to Thomas Frederick Cutbush, engineer, son, of
11 Vansittart St New Cross Surrey

Mary Ann Cutbush the widow survived him but died before she could obtain
admin.

Effects under £200. no leaseholds.

By the way, 53 Denmark Hill in my previous post should be 55.

This next one is Thomas Cutbush plumber of Enfield town 1866.Thjs was probably
TTC's dad.

He mentions usual household stuff, also musical instruments and pianos.
I remember there was a piano tuner or maker in 1891, I think.

Wife Ann gets the lot including two freehold houses with garden known as
Whitworth Cottages, also piece of copyhold land adjoining the Chase Enfield
also leasehold house no. 6 (illeg) street Stoke Newington, plus moneys in
Bank Of England.

Witnessed by William Ebben baker and William Hall florist both of Enfield.

Effects were under £600.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The full story of 'John the bun muncher Trapp' was published in The Times, May 13,1835, if anyone wants to read or post it.
Poor buggar just wanted to be left in peace to eat his buns and study the moon.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how to break this to you, AP, but Miss Stoddart, of Dixon St, was mentioned as being on the Total Abstinence Committee in the Wellington Independent for December 7th 1867 (a fatal day, i seem to recall).

These papers have no search engine and I have no eyes so it will take me a while to see if there's anything really good in them.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just goes to show you, Robert, a small glass of brandy could have changed everything.
By that time TTC had probably bedded another twelve teenage brides and was in San Francisco with flowers in his hair.

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another quick one I have just found. Hope these aren't repeats

Registration Number, Last Name, Given Name(s), Father's Given Name(s), Mother's Given Name(s), District
1574/1876, CUTBUSH, CLARA AUGUSTA, THOMAS TAYLOR, FRANCES AUGUSTA, SYDNEY
© 1995-2003 New South Wales Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

Couldn't find him on the marriage or death index though

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
Thanks very much for putting the wills information on, very interesting.
Woburn buildings rang a bell, I had seen an Ann Cutbush aged 70 living there in 1871 with her son Robert, don't have the number they were living at though.
Another interesting thing I noted was the piano connection in the will of Thomas Cutbush ( possible father of TTC) when I was looking into the drowning of Elizabeth Lucas whose body was found by a Thomas Cutbush at Islington, I looked on the 1871 census to see if any Cutbushes were living at Islington, there was a family at Lyon Street Finsbury. The head was Thomas Cutbush aged 49 b Kent, wife Mary Ann, children John, Emily, Robert and Ann S. When I looked for them again in 1881 Robert was married with a family of his own and john and Ann were lodging together and John was a pianoforte tuner.

Will have to look a bit closer at them I think.

Ap, I can see the version of your book that is on the casebook is much more informative, I will definitely be reading that! only trouble is reading text from the computer screen is just not the same as being curled up in an armchair with a book! I may have to print it off a bit at a time.
Debra

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 9:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quick one
Have you seen the T T Cutbush listed as a passenger on the you yangs from Melbourne to Sydney 1875? I know you have found him on the Commodore.

Cutbush T. T. Mr Passenger Cabin
You Yangs
of Melbourne, Alfred Thussell, Master, Burthen 457 tons
from the Port of Melbourne to Sydney, New South Wales, 30th March 1875
Source: State Records Authority of New South Wales: Shipping Master's Office; CGS 13278, Passengers Arriving 1855 - 1922; X131-133, SR Reel 431, 1875.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3797
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

Fantastic! Correct me if I've misunderstood, but have you found TTC fathering a daughter after yet another bigamous marriage? Is there a date for this birth?

Re the pianos, yes, I've seen piano stuff somewhere. I'll check the 91 census.

I knew of Woburn Buildings from a rootsweb message board item someone posted. I put it on the Boards, but can't remember where.

Yes, I think it was John Ruffels who found the You Yangs (he's a Sydney man). TTC came over to NZ originally on the Commodore. The
Wellington independent has a list of passengers, and says that it was a fine voyage of 100 days from St Katherine's Dock. That was January 1867. I've not yet found an announcement of his marriage in December 67, but I dare say it would be fairly brief anyway. The paper has no search engine, and the "Find on this page" device doesn't work on it either, so it'll take a while to see if there's anything interesting there.

Debra, as usual many thanks for your wonderful work.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3799
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra, yes, John continues with his pianos and he's alive in 1891, but seemingly not around in 1901. I notice that in the 1881 census he's living in the same building as a harmonium finisher.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3801
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra, from http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2007&hl=fijian+labour+corps

Following entries are on the Menin Gate who have connections with the Fijl Islands.
CUTBUSH, Rifleman, THOMAS WATSON, R/10196. 4th Bn. King's Royal Rifle Corps. 10th May 1915. Age 38. Son of Mrs. Frances Augusta Evelyn Swann (formerly Cutbush), of Suva, Fiji Islands

The funny thing is, a few days ago AP opined that TTC may have gone to Fiji, and I joked that AP was just looking for a reason to take a holiday there.

Blimey!

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3810
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The obvious thing, of course, is that since there are probably not many Frances Augusta Cutbushes, and excluding divorce or Frances Augusta herself being a bigamist, then the date of her marriage to Mr Swann would give us a time frame within which to find TTC's death.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debra, great stuff, your posts always move us on, by large degrees.
The Fiji connection is something I have followed for some considerable time, I have many valued references stored away, but somehow the dates didn't connect for me.
I hope I'm wrong.
There was some kind of programme going on in the LVP to resettle Fiji and other islands with 'whities' from Sydney and Melbourne, and this all eventually culminated in the white islanders going off to fight in the great war.
The Cutbush family was certainly involved in that. But I couldn't establish valued links.
Robert, Debra, maybe you can?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
Debra's find is indeed attractive, and I too would dearly love to have a time frame for TTC's death.
This is one chap that I would like to bury.
I have several.
But I would like the right man.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 4:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, Debra

I'm still drawing a blank here, but a tentative hypothesis would be that Frances Augusta's maiden name was Watson.

From the apparent date of Thomas Watson's birth, and the date of the You Yangs voyage, it seems that once again he didn't waste much time.

I dare say there's a Mrs Cutbush in Melbourne too.

Robert

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert-great find! That's two children at least now, I am sure there will be more to come.
TTC's life seems to be a story on it's own!

This could be just another coincidence, but TTC may have know Frances Augusta back in England
On the IGI is a Frances Augusta WATSON ( I took this to be her maiden name as Thomas WATSON Cutbush is her son's name)
She was christened in St Mary Lewisham, same church as the children of Edward Cutbush, who I believe may be TTC's brother?
only doubt I have is that she was b 1831 which means she would have been getting on a bit when she had Thomas, but stranger things have happened.

This is what I like about AP's seemingly wild ideas, they always seem to pan out!
Debra

Donovan Carman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anybody put together a visual genealogical tree for TTC?

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

>>Fantastic! Correct me if I've misunderstood, but have you found TTC fathering a daughter after yet another bigamous marriage? Is there a date for this birth? <<

Yes...I think I have
try this link it should take you straight to the page with the entry on, the year was 1876, no date given

http://genealogy.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=genealogy&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bdm.nsw.gov.au%2FfamilyHistory%2Fsearch.htm

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.