Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 24, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » Cutbush in the 1881 Census » Archive through November 24, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, here is Luke Flood's somewhat prosy obit, from Feb 9th 1818

Here is the London Hospital and also the Page link

Oct 17th 1821

And here is Luke Trapp

Jan 2nd 1835

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Robert.
I'm looking now.
Meanwhile:

The following - taken from early accounts of the settlement of Virginia - gave me food for thought, as apparently it was a long tradition in the Amerikas for wealthy families to send their teenage children to trusted relatives or friends in London to get a ‘proper’ education. I wondered whether Kate Hayne might have arrived in London suddenly in this manner and then fallen into the clutches of Thomas Taylor Cutbush?

‘John Cary, merchant of London, gave bond December 6, 1669, to Lieutenant-Colonel George Jordan and Captain Thomas Flood, engaging “to take care of Walter Flood, his wife’s brother, when he arrived in England,” and to “keep him at school and teach and educate him as my wife’s brother.” (Surry county records.)’

Just nice that the example I quote is a ‘Flood’.

Regarding the Floods, I am struck by how many of them were involved in the law-making and -keeping process of Middlesex, as magistrates, justices of the peace, witnesses in criminal trials or simple ‘justices’. Here but two examples from many many more:

JOHN FLOOD sworn.
I live at the Angel-Inn, Islington.
(Old Bailey 1779)

I complained of this usage to
justice Flood, but this ... Tried by the first Middlesex Jury
(Old Bailey 1795)

And I do wonder whether the present Justice Flood doth owe his origins to the Middlesex Floods?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3512
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Interesting thought, that Kate may have been sent to England as a kind of finishing school, and TTC pretty near finished her. Her parents seem to have been English, though. I'd love to know the answer to that little mystery.

Today I downloaded Luke Flood's will, and he was indeed a very rich man. One thing I noticed is that we get the Stratford/West Ham connection again.

I saw him in a newspaper item today on a commission to clean up the East End streets. Interesting that maybe his grear grear grear grandson had quite a different idea of what it meant.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3513
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the name of God Amen. I Luke Flood of Maryland Point in the parish of West Ham in the county of Essex late painter of the parish of St Marys Whitechapel do make this my last will and testament in the manner following I do give and bequeath unto my son Luke Thomas Flood and his heirs for ever the following named freehold house and land situate in (Barnwell?) in the county of Cambridge in the occupation of Mrs Bullen also the house and premises situate in Church Row St Annes Limehouse in the county of Middlesex in the occupation of Christopher Jowson also my two freehold houses and premises situate in Mile End Road in the occupation of Crowther and Lofty in the county of Middlesex also my freehold land and buildings thereon in the parish of West Ham in the county of Essex known by the name of Upton Place late in the occupation of (illeg) and others and I do give unto my said son to the use of his will my (four?) copyhold houses and premises in the parish of Bow in the manor of Stepney in the county of Middlesex in the occupation of (illeg) J Sargant and J Spiller and I do give unto my said son all the stock in the three pc secured public funds standing in my name and I do give unto Elizabeth Flood his wife one hundred pounds and I do give unto Mrs Elizabeth Trapp ten pounds and unto Sophia Trapp and Mrs Pitt a ring each. I do give and bequeath unto my daughter Clarissa Cutbush wife of Thomas Cutbush all my copyhold house and premises together with the yard so much as is leasehold to the full extent of the lease as is now in the occupation of Luke George Cutbush being No 30 Road side in the parish of St Mary Whitechapel in the manor of Stepney in the county of Middlesex and this unto my said daughter I give to the use of her will notwithstanding her (illeg). And I do give unto my said daughter and her heirs for ever all my freehold house and premises situate in (illeg) Street in the parish of St George in the county of Middlesex in the occupation of Claude (Small?). I do give unto my grandsons Tom Flood Cutbush and Luke George Cutbush and Edward Cutbush to each of them one thousand two hundred pounds 3pc consols from that stock in the public funds standing in my name. I do give unto my executor upon trust one thousand two hundred pounds three per cent consols from that fund standing in my name for the use and benefit of my grandaughter Clariisa Little wife of James Little which sum is independent and by no means under any control of her present husband or any other it shall not be liable to the payment of any of his debts which said sum of one thousand two hundred pounds three per cent consols shall be transferred from my stock in that fund to the name of my executor who shall pay my said granddaughter the interest as it may become due and her (illeg) only regard shall be a discharge and at her decease the principal to be divided equally amongst those who may survive her. Whatever sum may remain in the three per cent consols name after the above is paid I do give unto my executor upon trust for the use and benefit of my daughter Clarissa Cutbush during her natural life the interest thereof to be paid her by my executor as it may become due at her decease the principal to be fairly and equally divided amonst her four children namely Tom Flood Cutbush Luke George Cutbush Clariisa Little and Edward Cutbush should any of them die previous to their mother leaving issue such child or children shall have their parents share equally divided amongst them with this proviso that the share to be divided which may be for my granddaughter Clarissa Little shall be joined to my former gift independent of her present or future husband nor shall it be any way liable to the payment of his debts and under the same restrictions and regulations as my former gift which at her decease the principal to be divided amongst her children. I do hereby appoint my son Luke Thomas Flood my executor and trustee. I do give unto Luke George Cutbush all my furniture now in (my?) house. I do give unto the four sons of my daughter Mary Ann Page my four freehold houses in Greenfield Street in the hamlet of Mile End Old Town in the county of Middlsex and I advise my executor to give a power of attorney to either of their friends to manage and receive the rents and profits of said freehold during their minority but not until my executor be well satisfied that neither their father or any other person for them will or may (illeg) any suit in law or (illeg) against him or any of my family
concerning this my will or any family dispute which if either of the said children their father or any of their supposed friends do in that case I transfer the said gift and do give and bequeath the four freehold houses to my son Luke Thomas Flood to him and his heirs for ever. I do give unto the Reverend Mathew (illeg) of Whitechapel twenty pounds. I do give unto Elizabeth Wills if she resides with me at my decease one hundred pounds and (illeg) and to Mary (illeg) I do give a ring.to James Thomas (illeg) and Zachary Wightman. I do give unto my son Luke Thomas all my books and book cases my plate and such pictures as is in my house as he may choose. I do give unto my executor upon trust all my household furniture for him to dispose the same to my grandchildren at his will and pleasure (illeg) him to the children of my daughter Clarissa Cutbush. I do give unto the master and mistress of Whitechapel Charity School to which I am treasurer forty shillings each and to each of the boys and girls in said school five shillings each to be paid them within six days after my decease.I do give unto the twelve widows in Meggs Alms Houses forty shillings each to be paid them within six days after my decease. My will is that my executor do within six months after my decease purchase one thousand pounds three per cent consols in the name of the Master of the parish of Whitechapel for the time being and at his decease to be transferred to the name of such succeeding Master upon trust for ever together with three other trustees of Whitechapel Charity School of which I am treasurer and at the decease of either of the said trustees new ones shall be appointed so as to keep the number of four for ever for the purposes here to be mentioned this purchase to be made out of my other public funds and floating (illeg) not before mentioned the interest of the one thousand pounds three per cent consols to be (illeg) by the trust and laid out every half year and payments be made so as to accumulate the principal for seven years and at the end of the seven years the principal with the accumulated interest to remain for ever the interest of the whole.I do give for this purpose that it shall be fairly and equally divided (illeg) amongst so many boys who shall be bound apprentices from the before mentioned Charity School who shall serve their master and mistress truly and faithfully (seven years after my decease) and who shall give satisfactory proof thereof to the trustees and that they have regularly attended divine service at some established parish church and which shall be confirmed by the officiating clergyman of that church where such attendance was made and I do request the undermentioned be printed and fixed on pasteboard and given to each boy when bound (origl so)
AB You are now bound apprentice to CJ
If at the expiration of the term of your apprenticeship you produce to the trustees testimonial of your good conduct from your Master and a certificate from the officiating clergyman of the establishment that you have regularly attended divine service you will be entitled to a proportion of Mr Flood (illeg) issuing out of the interest of one thousand pounds 3 per cent consols and the accumulated interest of seven years which he has given to encourage youth to discharge their duty to God and man.
The trustees will (illeg) certain (illeg) on the first Tuesday of the months of January February and March and the money will be paid to the approved claimants on the first Tuesday in April yearly.
You are to produce this paper (signed) E.J. Master, C.H. treasurer
I do give unto the twelve widows residing in Meggs Alms Houses in Whitechapel four hundred pounds new South Sea Annuities now standing in my name which said sum shall be transferred to the names of such trustees as shall be chosen at a public vestry which said trustees shall receive the interest of the above mentioned four hundred pounds and divide the same amongst the twelve widows each April for ever and I advise that my executor will pay the legacy duly of these two last legacies namely of the 1000 and the four hundred pounds.I do give unto my son Luke Thomas Flood all other money in the public funds as is not already given and all the rest and residue of my estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever. I do give unto my grandson Tom Flood Cutbush and his heirs for ever my freehold house and premises in Star Court in East Smithfield in the parish of Lower Aldgate county of Middlesex in the occupation of (illeg). And I do give unto my said grandson the lease of house and premises with so much only of the yard as now attached to it and also the lease of paint shop and countinghouse in his occupation being No. 29 Road Side Whitechapel Middlesex. I do give to the organist the sexton and parish clerk of Whitechapel forty shillings each and I do give unto John Smith vestry clerk five pounds and a ring. The (illeg) of this my last will and testament was wrote by me and confirmed hereby. We the under mentioned do witness that this will and testament was signed and sealed by Luke Flood in our presence and at his request do testify the same this 14th day of March in the year of our Lord 1817 Thomas Bilton Charlotte Stuart or Street Whitechapel Edw Mounckfield 20 High Street Mile End New Town Jno Byron Hooper Osborn Stuart or Street Whitechapel all of the Court of InquestTower Hamlets.

Proved at London 9th February 1818 before the worshipful John Daubery Doctor of Laws and surrogate by the oath of Luke Thomas Flood Esq the son the sole executor to whom admin was granted having been first sworn duly to administer.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Incredible stuff, Robert.
Only had a quick read, but you are so right, a very wealthy man indeed. And very concerned that the wealth stays in the family, and is not snapped up by men who have married into the family. A game he knew only too well I would guess.
These wills have really moved us on, and I'm so grateful for all your efforts in tracking them down, transcribing and posting them.
I'll study the will more.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, just a little drip compared to your recent Flood.
From 1783 - taken from a pamphlet sold by S Bladon No 13 Pater-noster Row - here is Luke Flood’s full and official title:
‘ his Majesty's Justices of Oyer and Terminer of the City of London, and Justices of Gaol Delivery of Newgate, holden for the said City and County of Middlesex.
Francis Holman, William Arnold, Jacob Dinning, Thomas Hotchkins, William Fox, Hugh Bull, Philip Belton, John Bond, George Crissal, Benjamin Rice, Luke Flood, John Tomkins,’

Although I’m beginning to know this address very well I hadn’t heard this occupation before:

‘Flood Luke, Corn chandler, 30, Whitechapel road 1794’

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3515
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, AP. I'm still scratching my head as to what kind of painter he was - since he doesn't seem to have been a well known artist, even if he was a portrait painter he couldn't have made that much money out of it. Could be you're right, and he owes his wealth and position to a shrewd marriage.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3516
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, just seen your post. A number of intriguing questions here : could the Belton be related to the Bilton who witnessed the will? Thomas Hotchkins - any relation to Thomas Hoskins Cutbush? Benjamin Rice - there was a reference in Tom Flood's will to houses at Stratford built by Benjamin Wire or something like that, wasn't there?

re the corn, there is a "Times" item showing Luke Flood on one of those bigwig bodies urging people to eat less bread, or some such. I'll try and find it.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3517
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here it is. Jan 27th 1796

I've had another look at the TFC will and it doesn't really look like Rice. I suppose it could be, but it looks more like Wice or Wire.
However, the words that I think I wrote down as Upton Park do look more like Upton Place. Well, my dad was a Hammers fan.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear, Robert.
For the sake of brevity I cut out about forty names in the list supplied by the pamphlet. I'll have to find it again.

For no other reason than I like to keep things neat, here is a Taylor who made clocks in the time we speak:

'1794 Taylor B., Clock & Watchmaker, 48, Lombard-street'

Did you ever hear of the 'Money Brothers' of East India Company fame, Robert?
I'm getting some most peculiar combinations of the families concerned here in regard to Trinity House and 'The Tidal Correspondents of the 19th Century'.
But I'm guessing it is the high tide of SSB that has washed in tonight.
I'll check the wills through.
I found uncle Charles by the way, bless him, sat with his little dibber, picking out young Catholics for future attention.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3519
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I'll have a look for your references.

What was that about Uncle Charles?

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enjoyed that Robert.
The Trapps, Taylors and Floods of Whitechapel did not want the populace to drink SSB when they had gin to sell.

I believe that just like all the Floods and Cutbush's this one made his money out of brides too. Not only is there a distinctive trend in the marriage arrangements of the men, there is also strong indication in their wills that they did not want the same thing to happen to their inheritors.
But it did to Tom-Tom, didn't it?

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3520
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, I was thinking a while ago that if you take away the legal work, Luke Flood had a lot in common with John McCarthy.

Could you expand on those East India company details?

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3521
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the "Times" of May 28th 1794 Luke Flood is among the subscribers to the raising of the Tower Hamlets Volunteers, under the leadership of the Marquis Cornwallis. A Cornwallis (I think it was the Earl) had just finished a stint as Governor- General of India.

Robert

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Yes, Charles, Lord Cornwallis of the American Revolution (loser at Princeton to Washington, the deep south to Nathaniel Greene, and Yorktown to Washington and Rochambeau (and Admiral De Grasse), is the Governor-General of India referred to. His career there and in Ireland following the Revolution was far more successful
(he put down the 1798 Irish revolt that had French assistance) than the American Revolutionary record would suggest of him. Fact was, Lord Cornwallis was a pretty good soldier, and had he had better inteligence at Princeton, or real support from his commander, Sir Henry Clinton, in the south and Virginia, he probably would have won the war. This is why his career survived Yorktown and blossomed, while Clinton was kicked aside.

Jeff

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3522
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Jeff. He believed that noblesses oblige, at any rate - in the list of subscribers mentioned above, he gave the (for those days) stupendous sum of five hundred pounds!

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
sorry but I now think the 'Money Brothers' another one of my brandy inspired red herrings.
Having said that though, there is some definite connection to the East Indian Company, Trinity House and astronomoical or navigational instruments, including clocks.

Going back to my post concerning Janet Taylor's surviving clan in Oz, I must mention that her great great great nephew was unsure about his grandmother's first name, and Emily was his best guess, so dwell on that.
It struck me that the Cutbush young lady on board the 'Sorata' in 1885 - travelling I assume with a brother and much older man - from London to Adelaide would be a prime candidate for the role.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, going on one of the legacies in the will, here is a bit more information on the Meggs Almshouses:

'In 1673 the old church which had been built since 1362, after a former one had been destroyed by a tempest, was pulled down excepting for the tower on account of it being in a dilapidated state. A new edifice was erected through the generosity of William Meggs, who also built and endowed almshouses at the "Town's End" for twelve poor inhabitants of the Upper Hamlet. The almshouses were situated on the south side of Whitechapel Road, and subsequently enlarged. The site and buildings thereon were purchased in 1883 by the East London Railway Company, and where they stood may be indicated by the position of St. Mary's Railway Station.'

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This should flesh out that last will nicely, Robert:

'The strong musical tradition of St Luke’s is associated with the new church, perhaps because the fabric of the old building, and its bells and clock, had taken up so much of the vestry’s time.188 In 1745 subscriptions enabled an organ to be placed in the west gallery, only to be taken down as unauthorized in 1746. Subscribers sought a faculty in 1752 and obtained it in 1754, after a suit in the Court of Arches, despite opponents claiming lack of space and perpetual expense,189 but nothing more seems to have been done until 1818. An organ committee was then formed, with Luke Flood as treasurer, and money was raised for an 8-year-old organ.190 A larger instrument was played by Thomas Attwood (d. 1838) in 1824 at the consecration of the new church, where the composer John (later Sir John) Goss (d. 1880) was elected organist in 1825.

Charitable bequests from the 17th century onward sometimes benefited the church in addition to the poor. Eventually the six Ecclesiastical charities of Chelsea were established by a Scheme of 1936,194 with the rector and 4 other trustees appointed by the parochial church council of St Luke’s. Richard Gilford’s charity, under his will proved 1680, consisted of £58 stock set aside to provide 1s. 6d. to the minister for a sermon on 5 December, 5s. to the ringers, and 2s. 6d. to the parish clerk. Elizabeth Smith by will proved 1828, in addition to bequests to the charity schools and the poor, left 2 guineas to the preacher of an anniversary sermon on 8 August, with one guinea to the officiating clerk. Those sums were payable as part of her Ecclesiastical and Eleemosynary charity under an Order of 1906, which established her Educational foundation. In 1936 her charity (item 14) was divided, £126 stock becoming part of the Ecclesiastical charities to pay for the annual sermon. An endowment of 1856 for Thomas Flood’s charity (item 19) was also divided, £8 6s. 8d. being set aside to maintain his memorial tablet in the church.'

So old Tom Flood has a memorial tablet in the church!
(taken from on-line 'Parish of Chelsea')

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3524
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all that, AP. It's great to learn more about these people.

Re the Sorata passengers, I just wish I had the same facilities to get at Aussie records as I have to get at English ones. But I believe the Australians have destroyed nearly all their census records, on a point of privacy. Still, it should be possible to track her down.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3525
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, Aug 10th 1807

And so the Cutbushes creep ever closer to my home.

i checked the 1881 census hoping to find a man about 36, preferably widowed, with a daughter of 14 and a son of 6, and no other children, but no luck.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert.
Nice find the Upton Place, I've been trawling all the properties mentioned in the will but no joy yet.
No matter how close the Cutbush's get to your home don't let them upstairs!
The following tickled me a bit, but it does show that the Floods, Cutbush's and Mears may well have had contact through their do-gooding:

'Operation bell of the London Hospital 1791 - This bell, together with the bell of 1757 that hangs in the Hospital entrance, was made in the Whitechapel bell foundry. Before the introduction of anaesthetics in 1846, it is reputed to have summoned attendants to hold surgical patients still.'

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3527
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Now it's the hospital patients who have to hold the food down.

A bit more about Janet Taylor : in 1859 or 1860 she was granted a civil list pension of £50 for her charity work among London's seafaring folk and the difficulties she had been placed in by the death of her husband.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, reference your earlier enquiry about uncle Charles:

'Delft painters, in contrast with glaziers and potters, were not obliged to submit a masterpiece, but they had to complete their six years of apprenticeship before enrolling with the guild.
The Board of the guild of St.Luke comprised six members (two potters, two stained-glass artists and two painters) under the leadership of a dean who was a member of the council of forty, a municipal advisory body.'

And:

'The Guild's Basic Functions: Duties, Privileges and Apprenticeship
Purpose

"In Delft, as in every other artistic center, artists and artisans came together primarily to limit the import of artworks from outside the city. This was generally accomplished by allowing only members of the local Guild of Saint Luke to sell paintings. Auctions of paintings brought in from elsewhere were forbidden except at the annual fairs (in Delft the main public room of the town hall was used for this purpose)." 1 In exchange, member artists were required to pay an entrance fee of 6 guilders which Vermeer himself, at the age of 21, was unable to pay in full due probably to his uncertain economic condition at the time.

Guild of Saint Luke Delft
18th century

Apprenticeship

Another obligation of future painter members was apprenticeship which normally lasted from four to six years. This period spent in a recognized master painter's workshop insured the young artist a thorough familiarization with the complexities of his craft. We must remember that in Vermeer's time much of the artist's materials had to be produced by the painter himself and painting techniques were far more elaborate than those of most contemporary painters. For example, paint was not sold in comfortable tubes as it is now. Each morning artists had to hand mull the colors he intended to use in the following day's painting. Hand grinding paint presents a number of difficulties and requires much practice. This rather laborious task was often left to the apprentice.'

'Guild of St Luke', St. Luke, the patron saint of painters.
Very Catholic.
Uncle Charles not very happy.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And on that note, Robert, here is a butcher producing two painters, but surely seeing I'm in me cups it should be two painters producing a butcher.

Henry Cutbush (pork butcher) 2 Exmouth Street, Clerkenwell
> ...........
> Luke Flood Cutbush (painter) 35 Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel
(what is he doing in Fieldgate Street when he has perfectly acceptable property in Roadside?)
> ..........
> Thomas Cutbush (painter & etc) 9 Woburn Buildings Tavistock Square'

I never saw the Thomas Cutbush, painter before.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3528
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I see, AP.

Re Uncle Charles, I've found him mentioned in the "Times" in connection with police fund-raising etc, also some references to his ordinary police work, but nothing about his illness or death.

I can't believe that the inquest report you found is the only one in the country, so I think Lambeth library might be worth investigating.

Another person we haven't mentioned much recently is the surveyor. I found a reference to his daughter from 1882, and it's a Brighton link.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3529
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2004 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I think I mentioned the Tavistock Square TC earlier. I think I got him off an old Rootsweb message board.

Since the 1851 lookup doesn't look as if it'll come through I'm just going to have to try and get up there and see if my eyes are good enough.
I've never yet had a pair of new glasses that's worked for more than a fortnight.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

I can now view the 1881 images and, fair play to the LDS transcribers, the Cutbush living at No. 7 Buck's Row in 1881 with Mr Lambert really was called Albert, not Alfred.

I'm jiggered! Will these Cutbushes never cease tormenting me?

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, sorry if my last couple of posts were confusing.
I guess I was attempting to link the ‘Floods’ religious fervour, and obvious belief in a self-perpetuating system of ‘disciples’ - apprentices in their case - and their obvious devotion to the ’Liberal Catholic’ church of St Luke’s, Whitechapel.
I was running with the idea that such principles would have caused a very real divide in the family, when taking Uncle Charles’ hatred for all things Catholic into account.
Somehow I get the feeling that it is this schism that cost Thomas Hayne Cutbush his inheritance.
The following quotes may bolster this opinion:

‘The main principle of the Guild of St Luke’s was their belief that spiritual purity was necessary for artistic achievement and that Catholicism was the only path to reach great artistry.’

‘the Guild of St. Luke, which united painters in all genres, glass makers, faience makers, embroiderers and art dealers; as a precondition for being admitted was an obligatory six-year training with a master, recognized by the Guild.’

‘Western art was Christian art commissioned by the Church and nobility from members of St. Luke's Guild. Jews could not enter this "union" because they could not swear on the Christian scriptures or serve a seven year apprenticeship to a non-Jewish master artist.’

I was also interested to see that to be a member of the very exclusive Guild of St Luke’s was possible for an ’art dealer’, and then hence be classified as a ‘painter’ in the Guild’s membership. This might well explain why the ‘Flood’s’ keep popping up as ‘painters’.
Both me and you know, Robert, that no Whitechapel house painter possessed either the income or the properties of the Flood-Cutbush clan.
They were immensely wealthy folk, and dealing fine art would be a far more rational explanation of their wealth.
But you see, Robert, this was Catholic wealth, and a certain member of the clan and his impressionable nephew would not have been happy with this.
I personally see a real divide in the families here, and believe the end result was the dissolution of the inheritance of young Thomas.
But then I do drink strong brandy.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
On those horticulturist type of Cutbush’s, I do know you have flagged the first reference, but the - later - personal story that follows sort of opens it up a bit and could be worth following:

CUTBUSH - William, b c.1800. Nurseryman, Highgate from c1830.
Son of miller and farmer in Sandhurst, KEN

CUTBUSH - James, son of above, and his descendants.

The Barnet by-pass was built before the war but was built three lanes wide with poplars planted either side. If you have ever wondered why Bignells corner, just north of Barnet, is so called, it is because there used to be a big plant nursery there on the crossroads where the Barnet by-pass crossed the A6. This nursery was called Bignells and Cutbush and my father would sometimes drive out there to get some plants for the garden. The site of this nursery must now be somewhere under the huge intersection between the A1 and the M25. The only section of the original Hatfield and Barnet bypasses that I can think of is the short section just to the south of the Comet roundabout in Hatfield; the rest has all been dualled even if it does follow the original route.

And then I had this Highgate Cutbush, a madam with a paper shop in the LVP:

HIGHGATE: Misc... Randalls the Butchers c.1914 with the wooden canopy (surviving) to protect the meat from the heat of the sun in the days before refrigeration. Animals arrived on the hoof and were driven down the cobbled cartway. Bullocks were slaughtered in a small room with hoisting tackle and calves were kept in pens in the back yard. The butchers closed in the 1960s but much of the equipment has been preserved by the new owners. Miss Cutbush’s newspaper shop at the very centre of the town , which was a social magnet. Next door was the old watch-house, which was replaced in 1860 by the police station ‘

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3534
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Yes, if there was a schism within the family then it would have been quite bitter, at least on Uncle Charles's part. I've seen Dr Barnardo going on about the Catholic "conspiracy."

It would be very interesting if they were dealers in art, though we do know that Luke Flood Cutbush was a house painter.

I've seen references to a newsagent Cutbush. I think the shop must have been going quite a fair while.

Re the horticulturists, I found a Mrs Luke Flood joining the Royal Botanic Society in 1863, though whether this was down to prompting by the Cutbushes, or merely social snobbery, I can't say.

I found Luke Thomas Flood on the board, or something like that, of the Westminster Bank, so that's where Edward's career came from.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should correct myself and say, he was a Director of the Westminster and General Life Insurance Association.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Robert
it seems inescapable that the Floods painted houses at some point, but and I do feel this is big but, their authority and position in the parish certainly came from elsewhere.
This is something I am actively exploring.
It seems highly likely that the London Hospital and St Luke's Church do hold the answer to that riddle.
Many may have forgotten the links we provided to Dr Barnado and institutions like Toynbee Hall but I haven't.
Whatever else happens there will be emerging evidence of a split on the old grounds of religious envy and hatred.
We tend to forget that in the LVP it were a war.
Fought from king to ground.
I hadn't seen the Mrs Luke Flood smelling roses before, or the precious Luke Thomas sniffing around the Westminster Bank - he was probably looking for Big Ben which is on the Eastminster bank side - but I'll look for the varmints now.
This Tower of London business still bothers me and I get no further.
The bells, oh the bells...

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Robert
I seem to have not replied to a few of your posts.
Regarding Uncle Charles, I have been assured by higher authority than me good self that his pension records reveal all. Obviously this means that someone, somewhere, has read these records.
If that someone, somewhere, doesn't join in, then we just have to open another bottle of brandy, buy yet another set of spectacles and speculate.
I often hope that our new young poster by the name of Debra might be that someone, somewhere, and she is leading us by the nose.
Mine bloodied.
Yours intact.
Good luck Robert.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3537
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't worry, AP, we will get a look at Uncle Charles's pension records if indeed they are at the PRO (they won't tell me on the phone).

Re the bells, here's another Mears-Cutbush link and also another Cutbush-London Hospital link :
in 1827 Tom Flood Cutbush and Thomas Mears were on a committee to get one Thomas Jeremiah Armiger elected to the post of Asst-Surgeon to the London Hospital. Tom Flood Cutbush's name is actually next to Thomas Mears's name on the list, even though it isn't alphabetical.

I am going to have to look through the IGI etc to try and make sense of the Flood family relationships. I think Luke Thomas Flood died 1860 aged 58. Luke Flood died 1818 afed 80. Which means that Luke Flood was roughly 64 when he fathered Luke Thomas. Well obviously someone still needed him and still fed him when he was 64, and it was biologically possible - but just how old was his wife?

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
that is so neat that I fear I have to take myself off and get rotten drunk.
I'm looking too.
I did warn you about this family.

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My posts seem to come through much quicker at the moment so I will just add this little snippet I came across on a message board that may connect a Taylor to Luke Flood, it was posted by an Australian lady, and is quite an old message;

>>>I found an original Lease agreement dated 1839 at a Collectables Fair in
Brisbane, Queensland today. The lease was for Nos 63 and 64 Whitechapel
Road and dated 1839. Names mentioned are:

Henry MITCHELL a Tallow Chandler and Tallow Melter of Whitechapel Rd, Luke
Thomas FLOOD of Belle One Lodge, Chelsea and his deceased father Luke FLOOD,
Alan PARSON Esq, and Josiah TAYLOR and his wife Mary ANN TAYLOR <<<

I don't know if a Josiah Taylor has come up in any of your Taylor research AP, I couldn't find anything else on him.
Thanks very much for the census information Robert, I will sort out the rest of the information I have and try to post it after the weekend.
Debra

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
This post will probably come up first as it is the last one I sent, and mine come up in reverse order.
One of my other posts concerns Luke Floods will, which I see you have a copy of now, I made a little mistake on my post about the will and the property at Aldgate actually went to Tom Flood Cutbush and not Luke George Cutbush as I said, but it's a great will isn't it?, I never realised the wills were so cheap to download! ( a very cheap night in for me!) It definitely gives the impression that Luke Flood was not very impressed with his son's in law or his granddaughters husband !
Hi AP I have tried to get something on the Haynes but not hit on the right John Hayne yet, there are so many of them! Do you know if his middle initial was L or K?, I have seen both given for him.
I will leave my posts to catch up now for a while or they will be even more confusing than usual.
Debra

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quick thought Re the link to uncle Charles.
Are the parents of Charles Cutbush definitely known? I know the 1881 census shows his mother as Amelia, but on looking through some marriages a while ago I noticed a marriage in Kent between a Charles Cutbush and an Elizabeth Orgles 06 JUN 1842 Bromley, Kent, I believe 'uncle charles' was b c 1845 in Ashford Kent, what is interesting about this entry is that the grooms father's name is given as Charles Cutbush and the brides father's name is given as Robert Cutbush.( LDS index)
This is probably far fetched but I was wondering if these were Charles parents and he is related to the branch of Cutbushes you are researching through his mother and not his father?
Debra

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP and Robert
This is from Luke Flood's will written 14 Nov 1817 and proved 1818.
The will is very lengthy so I will just put the main points here, but I have included my e mail address in case either of you would like a copy of the original, as it is so long I may have missed something.
It looks like a bit of the Cutbush money came directly from Luke Flood.

Luke flood left most of his property to his son Luke Thomas Flood ( wife Elizabeth Trapp )this included propery and land in Cambridge, property in Church Row Limehouse Middlesex, 2 freehold houses in Mile end Rd and freehold property and building in Essex, and the use of premises in Bow Middlesex and all stock in the public fund standing in the ?
To Clarissa Cutbush his daughter and wife of Thomas Cutbush he left ' all my copy?hold house and premises together with the yard now in the occupation of Luke George cutbush being 30 Roadside Whitechapel, to said daughter and all her heirs all my freehold house and premises in Newark Street? Parish of St George, to grandsons Luke George and Tom Flood Cutbush and Edward Cutbush one thousand two hundered pounds from stock funds.To granddaughter Clarissa Little wife of James Little for her use and benefit and which sum is independent of any and not under the control of her present or future husbands and shall not be liable for the payment of debts of said James Little, ( apparently to be paid by exec. of the will at his discretion from stock funds) whatever was left from the stock funds was to be given to Clarissa Cutbush his daur. for her benefit during her natural life.
It then goes on that Clarissa's four children Tom, Luke,Edward and Clarissa inherit the money left to their mother to be divided equally amongst them, but if any should die before their mother their share should be equally divided amongst the surviving children. ( He didn't seem to want their father to get hold of it!)
It then covers the children of his other daughter Mary Ann wife of Samuel Page, they are to be left income from freehold houses in Greenfield St Mile end, under the discretion of the exec. it then goes on to mention that if their father ( samuel Page) or any of his 'so called friends' tries to bring about any legal claims on the property and what the consequences will be. ( not very fond of his son in laws this man!)
He then leaves various bits and bobs, smaller amounts of money to various people ,pictures and furniture to his son, and money to the twelve widows of whitechapel mentioned in the newspaper.
In the last paragraph he adds a section giving Luke george Cutbush and his heirs forever his freehold house and premises in East Smithfields Aldgate. It also mentions the yard again, a paint shop and counting house in his occupation at 29 roadside Whitechapel. He was also left furniture in an earlier section ( he seems to have been a bit of a favourite with Luke Flood)

Anyway that is the will in brief, it also gives the names of the present occupiers of most of the propery he owns.

Luke Trapp Flood who you found AP, was the grandson of Luke Flood, Luke Thomas Flood and Elizabeth Trapp being his parents.
I couldn't find any Taylors in the will though!

Debra

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

Thanks very much indeed for that information. The Taylor item will make AP drop the SSB bottle!

I'll try to sort out the Hayne middle initial business.

Yes, it's very convenient to download the wills, but unfortunately and inevitably not all wills have yet been scanned, and I think scanning on demand is a bit pricey. Accordingly I've sent off to York for the wills of :

THOMAS CUTBUSH d. 1866
DITTO d. 1871
DITTO d. 1884
LUKE FLOOD CUTBUSH d. 1872
KATE CUTBUSH d. 1922
CLARA HAYNE d. 1909

The TC who died 1884 was a labourer and may not have made a will.

Re Uncle Charles, I posted this to AP but may not have posted it on the Boards, so here is Uncle Charles in the 1851 census, transcribed for me by a very kind lady at Ashford library :
I have checked
our
records for the 1851 and 1861 censuses and have found the Cutbush family
in
1851. They were living in the High Street (no number is given) and their
details are as follows:

Charles Cutbush - Head of family - age 33 - Seedman - born
Kennington, Kent
Amelia Cutbush - Wife - age 33 - (no occupation) - born Hythe,
Kent
Henry* Cutbush - Son - age 12 - Scholar - born Boughton Aluph, Kent
Ellen Cutbush - Daughter - age 9 - Scholar - born Ashford, Kent
Charles Cutbush - Son - age 7 - Scholar - born Ashford, Kent
Cassandra* Cutbush - Daughter - age 5 - Scholar - born Ashford,
Kent
Richard Cutbush - Son - age 3 - At home - born Ashford, Kent
John Cutbush - Son - age 2 - At home - born Ashford, Kent

* These 2 names are indistinct due to the faintness of the writing.

The family was no longer living in the High Street in the 1861 census and
I
have not found them elsewhere in the town that year.

Boughton Aluph rings a bell. I've an idea some cutbush family from Newington had a son at school there. I'll check.

I did download a fair number of Cutbush BMD entries from a BMD paysite. Apparently I was saving them "in the wrong way" (something to do with an apostrophe) and they are now locked in cyberspace somewhere, eternally inaccessible to me. Fortunately though my local library is quite close by and has the BMD records on microfiche.

I agree that these characters do come across as very suspicious and determined to keep the money in the family, but I don't know whether or not this is unusual, as these are the only wills from that period that I've seen. In an age when women had few rights, maybe it made sense to include these safeguards? Notice thay don't go on about their descendants' wives having no access to the inheritances.

Because it can be difficult to get onto Free BMD sometimes, a few months ago I copied all the Cutbush entries to date. There will have been additions by now, but my new computer seems to go on strike if I ask it to copy and paste too much. I'll try to post the old file.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3540
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Sep 1837
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cutbush Frances Lewisham 5 104

Marriages Sep 1837

CUTBUSH Tom Flood Edmonton 3 54

Deaths Dec 1837

CUTBUSH Ann Maidstone 5 329
CUTBUSH Edward Bromley 5 25

Births Mar 1838

Cutbush Male Rye 7 389

Deaths Mar 1838

Cutbush James London 2 267

Marriages Mar 1838

Cutbush Sophia Rye 7 431

Deaths Jun 1838

Cutbush Frederick George Newington 4 291

Births Sep 1838

Cutbush Mary Cranbrook 5 77

Marriages Sep 1838

CUTBUSH George Ticehurst 7 525
CUTBUSH Joseph St. James, Westmr. 1 101

Deaths Mar 1839

Cutbush Ann St Luke 2 217
Cutbush Hannah Rye 7 293
Cutbush James Ticehurst 7 32_
Cutbush Mary Maidstone 5 215
Cutbush Male Rye 7 293

Marriages Mar 1839

CUTBUSH Eleanor Battle 7 335

Deaths Jun 1840

CUTBUSH Charles Lambeth 4 219

Marriages Sep 1840

CUTBUSH Catherine Canterbury 5 89
CUTBUSH William Edmonton 3 65

Births Mar 1841

Cutbush Eliza E. Ashford 5 5
Cutbush Rebecha E. Ashford 5 5
Cutbush Female Cranbrook 5 [79]9

Deaths Mar 1841

CUTBUSH Sarah Edmonton 3 93

Marriages Jun 1841

CUTBUSH Charlotte Rye 7 585

Deaths Dec 1841

CUTBUSH John Cranbrook 5 50

Marriages Dec 1841

CUTBUSH Ann Wandsworth &c 4 489
CUTBUSH John Cranbrook 5 161

Births Mar 1842

Cutbush Ellen West Ashford 5 15

Births Jun 1842

Cutbush Charles Henry Lambeth 4 235
Cutbush Elizabeth Jane Marylebone 1 233
Cutbush William Edmonton 3 146

Deaths Jun 1842

Cutbush Isabella Maidstone 5 216

Marriages Jun 1842

CUTBUSH Charles Bromley 5 89

Deaths Sep 1842

CUTBUSH Mary Maidstone 5 223

Marriages Sep 1842

CUTBUSH Tom Flood Edmonton 3 88

Deaths Dec 1842

Cutbush Philip St Geo East 2 74

Marriages Dec 1842

CUTBUSH Edward St Marylebone 1 210
CUTBUSH Edward St Pancras 1 231

Births Jun 1843

CUTBUSH James Robert St Geo East 2 111

Deaths Sep 1843

CUTBUSH _lari__a Edmonton 3 103

Births Mar 1844

CUTBUSH Charles W Ashford 5 11

Deaths Jun 1844

Cutbush John Cranbrook 5 61

Births Mar 1845

CUTBUSH Ann Edmonton 3 164
CUTBUSH Thomas Frederick S.Pancras 1 2_4

Births Jun 1845

CUTBUSH George Thomas Lambeth 4 265
CUTBUSH Jane Mary St Geo East 2 114
CUTBUSH Female Ticehurst 7 478

Marriages Jun 1845

Cutbush Edward Lewisham 5 402

Deaths Sep 1845

CUTBUSH Ann Maidstone 5 203
CUTBUSH Jane Cranbrook 5 49
CUTBUSH Sarah Clerkenwell 3 82

Births Dec 1845

CUTBUSH Cassander Jeater W Ashford 5 12
CUTBUSH George Joseph St Geo Southk 4 424
CUTBUSH Henry Ware 6 539
CUTBUSH Female E Ashford 5 5

Births Mar 1846

Cutbush Ann Rye 7 47*
Cutbush George Tenterden 5 483
Cutbush Mary Ann *nbridge 5 521
Cutbush Susanna Cranbrook 5 8_

Marriages Mar 1846

CUTBUSH Ann Chapman Eastbourne 7 443

Births Sep 1846

Cutbush Eliza Lewisham 5 296

Births Dec 1846

Cutbush Charles South St George 4 471

Deaths Mar 1847

Cutbush Edward St Pancras 1 297

Births Jun 1847

Cutbush Robert Henry? E Ashford 5 11

Deaths Jun 1847

Cutbush George Ticehurst 7 369

Births Sep 1847

Cutbush Richard Brazier W Ashford 5 13

Births Dec 1847

CUTBUSH _*ian Lambeth 4 _81

Births Mar 1848

CUTBUSH Kate Tenterden 5 493

Births Jun 1848

Cutbush Caroline St George Southk 4 434

Births Sep 1848

Cutbush Annie Ellen Lewisham 5 309
Cutbush William St Pancras 1 268

Marriages Sep 1848

Cutbush Lucy Ellen Marylebone 1 193
Cutbush Philip Stepney 2 478

Births Mar 1849

Cutbush George William Tenterden 5 523

Marriages Mar 1849

Cutbush Anne Ashford E 5 15

Marriages Sep 1849

Cutbush Ann Greenwich 5 295

Births Mar 1850

Cutbush Walter Ashford E 5 9

Deaths Mar 1850

CUTBUSH John Chard 10 322
CUTBUSH Walter E Ashford 5 7

Marriages Mar 1850

Cutbush Jane Elizabeth Clerkenwell 3 *6

Births Jun 1850

Cutbush George Bromley 5 61
Cutbush Mary Love Tenterden 5 505

Deaths Jun 1850

CUTBUSH Caroline Tenterden 5 320

Marriages Jun 1850

Cutbush Ann Rye 7 671
Cutbush John Gravesend 5 290

Marriages Sep 1850

CUTBUSH Mary Westminster 1 495

Deaths Dec 1850

CUTBUSH George Bromley 5 27
CUTBUSH Lucy W Ashford 5 9
CUTBUSH Mary Hollingbourn 5 184

Deaths Sep 1851

CUTBUSH Mary Rye 7 333

Deaths Mar 1852

Cutbush Ann Sophia Islington 1b 128
Cutbush Joseph Marylebone 1a 290

Births Jun 1852

Cutbush Philip Whitechapel 1c 345

Deaths Jun 1852

Cutbush James West Ashford 2a 278
Cutbush Richard James Maidstone 2a 242

Births Sep 1852

Cutbush Agnes S. George 1d 131
Cutbush Frances Ann Buckingham 3a 429

Deaths Sep 1852

Cutbush Sarah Rye 2b 5

Marriages Sep 1852

Cutbush Henry William St Pancras 1b 109

Births Dec 1852

CUTBUSH George Tenterden 2a 437

Marriages Dec 1852

CUTBUSH Constantine Kensington Clerkenwell 1b 642
CUTBUSH Eliza Pamela Edmonton 3a 176
CUTBUSH Mary Ann Marylebone 1a 731
CUTBUSH Susan Matilda Southampton 2c 60
CUTBUSH Susanne Matilda Southampton 2c 60

Births Mar 1853

Cutbush Georgina Frances Hollingbourn 2a 423

Deaths Mar 1853

Cutbush George Tenterden 2a 323

Births Jun 1853

Cutbush Arthur William *ui** Stepney 1c 448

Births Sep 1853

Cutbush Albert Elham 2a 601

Marriages Mar 1854

Cutbush Ann Maria St Saviour 1d 4

Marriages Dec 1854

Cutbush Reuben Edmonton 3a 167

Deaths Mar 1855

Cutbush Harry St Pancras 1b _91
Cutbush Martha Rebecca St Olave 1d 65

Deaths Jun 1855

Cutbush Henry George St Pancras 1b 70

Deaths Sep 1856

CUTBUSH George Maidstone 2a [23]67

Deaths Sep 1857

Cutbush Charles Bromley 2a 127

Deaths Dec 1857

Cutbush William Tenterden 2a 305

Deaths Mar 1858

Cutbush Amelia Lambeth 1d 240

Deaths Jun 1858

Cutbush Charles Tenterden 2a 331
Cutbush John Love Elham 2a 474

Deaths Sep 1858

Cutbush Charles Dartford 2a 149

Marriages Dec 1858

Cutbush Eliza Newington 1d 232

Marriages Mar 1859

Cutbush Matilda Lewisham 1d 760

Births Sep 1859

CUTBUSH Joseph Newington 1d 214
CUTBUSH Male Islington 1b 206

Deaths Sep 1859

CUTBUSH Ann Rye 2b 10
CUTBUSH Charles Lambeth 1d 222
CUTBUSH William Bromley 2a 158
CUTBUSH Male Islington 1b 143

Births Dec 1859

CUTBUSH Alice Lambeth 1d 349

Deaths Dec 1859

Cutbush John Rye 2b 5

Marriages Dec 1859

Cutbush George Islington 1b 440

Births Jun 1860

CUTBUSH Eliza Anne Henstead 4b 177
CUTBUSH Henry William Hatfield 3a 264

Marriages Jun 1860

Cutbush Mary Cranbrook 2a 735

Births Dec 1860

CUTBUSH Bertha Eliza Hollingbourn 2a 451
CUTBUSH William Pancras 1b 146

Births Mar 1861

CUTBUSH James Henry Islington 1b 245

Births Jun 1861

CUTBUSH Edith Mary Pancras 1b 171
CUTBUSH William Richard Chertsey 2a 27

Births Mar 1862

CUTBUSH Albert Ernest St George S 4d _64
CUTBUSH Harry Walter Forehoe 4b _83
CUTBUSH Isabella Mary St George S 4d _64

Births Jun 1862

CUTBUSH William Charles Liverpool 8b 145
CUTBUSH Alice Eliza Chertsey 2a 22
CUTBUSH Thomas George Rye 2b 9

Births Sep 1862

CUTBUSH Charles Newington 1d 199
CUTBUSH John Charles Hatfield 3a 255
CUTBUSH Philip Hollingbourn 2a 482

Births Dec 1862

CUTBUSH Caroline Pancras 1b 155

Births Mar 1864

CUTBUSH George Arthur Forehoe 4b 193
CUTBUSH Helen Annie Whitechapel 1c 396

Births Jun 1864

CUTBUSH George Frederick Chertsey 2a 22
CUTBUSH Mabel Jane Maidstone 2a 506

Births Dec 1865

Cutbush Amy Isabel St. Giles 1b 494
Cutbush Charles Edwin Forehoe 4b 167

Deaths Mar 1866

Cutbush Mary 65 Whitechapel 1c 275
Cutbush Mary 84 Tenterden 2a 397

Deaths Jun 1866

Cutbush Charlotte 73 Milton 2a 442
Cutbush Mary A 75 Rye 2b 2

Deaths Sep 1866

CUTBUSH Julian 17 Lambeth 1d 238
Cutbush Julian 17 Lambeth 1d 238

Deaths Dec 1866

Cutbush Mary A 22 Kensington 1a 99
Cutbush Thomas 59 Edmonton 3a 124
Cutbush Male 0 Pancras 1b 121

Marriages Dec 1866

CUTBUSH Amelia Elham 2a 1665

Marriages Jun 1867

CUTBUSH Walter St. Martin 1a 707

Marriages Dec 1867

Cutbush Charles Dover 2a 1507
Cutbush Eliza Battle 2b 94
Cutbush Mary Ann Elham 2a 1559

Births Mar 1868

Cutbush Amelia Jane Westminster 1a 353
Cutbush Henry Pancras 1b 213
Cutbush Walter Edwin Chertsey 2a 25

Marriages Dec 1868

CUTBUSH Mary Love Tenterden 2a 1019

Marriages Jun 1869

CUTBUSH Ann Mile End 1c 865
CUTBUSH William Brighton 2b 336

Births Mar 1870

CUTBUSH Walter Percy Epsom 2a 26

Marriages Mar 1870

Cutbush Thomas Frederick Greenwich 1d 758

Births Jun 1870

Cutbush Thomas Pancras 1b 175

Marriages Jun 1870

CUTBUSH Clara Ann Pancras 1b 189

Births Sep 1870

Cutbush Laura Jane Pancras 1b 161

Marriages Dec 1870

CUTBUSH Cassandra Jeater Canterbury 2a 1128a
CUTBUSH Walter John Pancras 1b 15

Births Mar 1871

Cutbush Ellen St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 395
Cutbush Frederick Crawley Greenwich 1d 769

Deaths Mar 1871

Cutbush George John 30 Epsom 2a 7
Cutbush Thomas Robert 8* Maidstone 2a 393

Births Jun 1871

Cutbush Caleb Thomas Forehoe 4b 178

Deaths Jun 1871

Cutbush Elizabeth Jane 29 Kensington 1a 123
Cutbush Thomas 1 Pancras 1b 116

Marriages Jun 1871

Cutbush Charles Kensington 1a 58
Cutbush George Thomas Bethnal Green 1c 727

Births Sep 1871

Cutbush Amy Eliza Holborn 1b 649
Cutbush Bertram Mayhew Maidstone 2a 581

Marriages Sep 1871

Cutbush Caroline Kensington 1a 69

Births Dec 1871

Cutbush Kate Laura Epsom 2a 22
Cutbush Philip Walter G Islington 1b 223

Births Mar 1872

Cutbush George William Lambeth 1d 4_0

Deaths Mar 1872

CUTBUSH Eliza 56 Cranbrook 2a 389
CUTBUSH Luke Flood 67 Richmond 2a 195

Marriages Mar 1872

CUTBUSH Emily Pancras 1b 130

Deaths Jun 1872

Cutbush Robert 49 Pancras 1b 28

Births Sep 1872

CUTBUSH Alfred Thomas Greenwich 1d 791
CUTBUSH Winifred St Geo.H.Sq. 1a 381

Deaths Sep 1872

Cutbush Isabella 58 Maidstone 2a 349
Cutbush Winifred 0 St. Geo. Han. Sq. 1a 243

Births Dec 1872

CUTBUSH Edward Bromley 2a 352

Marriages Dec 1872

CUTBUSH Edward Greenwich 1d 1115

Births Mar 1873

CUTBUSH Ethel Louise Pancras 1b 176
CUTBUSH Florence Esther Islington 1b 375

Marriages Mar 1873

CUTBUSH Mary Jane Camberwell 1d 767

Births Jun 1873

Cutbush William Walker Camberwell 1d 673

Deaths Jun 1873

CUTBUSH Maria 66 Maidstone 2a 334

Marriages Jun 1873

CUTBUSH Annie Mile End 1c 1060

Births Sep 1873

Cutbush Lionel Lea Mile End 1c 510
Cutbush Rosalie Maud Richmond S. 2a 316

Deaths Sep 1873

Cutbush George 72 Rye 2b 7

Births Dec 1873

Cutbush Lizzie Jane St. Olave 1d 259

Births Mar 1874

CUTBUSH Jane Esther Greenwich 1d 851

Births Jun 1874

Cutbush Alice Maria Forehoe 4b 180

Births Sep 1874

Cutbush Elizabeth Jane Kensington 1a 204
Cutbush James George Bromley 2a 360

Deaths Sep 1874

Cutbush William 32 Cuckfield 2b 79

Marriages Dec 1874

Cutbush Constantine Kensington Brighton 2b 424
Cutbush William Pancras 1b 130

Births Mar 1875

Cutbush Clara Emma Greenwich 1d 895
Cutbush Edward Farnham 2a 90

Marriages Mar 1875

Cutbush Ann Maidstone 2a 793
Cutbush William St Geo H Sq 1a 505

Births Jun 1875

Cutbush Alice Lambeth 1d 382
Cutbush Amy Dalton Pancras 1b 193

Marriages Jun 1875

CUTBUSH Hester Westminster 1a 831
CUTBUSH Susanna Cranbrook 2a 955

Births Sep 1875

CUTBUSH Winifred Strand 1b 603

Births Dec 1875

Cutbush Mabel Annie Camberwell 1d 757

Marriages Dec 1875

CUTBUSH William St Saviour 1d 198

Births Mar 1876

CUTBUSH Beatrice Jane Salford 8d 157
CUTBUSH Kate Eliza Islington 1b 376

Marriages Mar 1876

Cutbush Annie W Ashford 2a 828

Marriages Jun 1876

Cutbush Thomas Hubie Mile End 1c 1031

Marriages Sep 1876

CUTBUSH Jack Battle 2b 78

Births Dec 1876

CUTBUSH Charles George Fulham 1a 195
CUTBUSH Herbert Frederick Forehoe 4b 184

Marriages Dec 1876

CUTBUSH George Mile End 1c 1121
CUTBUSH Robert Pancras 1b 269

Births Mar 1877

CUTBUSH Joseph Henry Lambeth 1d 452
CUTBUSH Phoebe W. Ham 4a 101
CUTBUSH Thomas George H Poplar 1c 662

Marriages Mar 1877

Cutbush Arthur Edward Bethnal Green 1c 383

Births Jun 1877

CUTBUSH Annie Battle 2b 56
CUTBUSH Eliza Elizabeth Bethnal Green 1c 249
CUTBUSH Emma Islington 1b 254

Deaths Jun 1877

Cutbush Mary 56 Islington 1b 186
Cutbush Mary Ann 59 Hastings 2b 20
Cutbush Phoebe 0 West Ham 4a 18
Cutbush Thomas 55 Pancras 1b 35
Cutbush Female 0 Islington 1b 172

Marriages Jun 1877

Cutbush Alfred St. Olave 1d 301

Births Dec 1877

Cutbush Catherine Mile End 1c 587
Cutbush Francis Ernest Weymouth 5a 331
Cutbush Frederick George Camberwell 1d 843
Cutbush George James Greenwich 1d 955

Marriages Dec 1877

CUTBUSH Georgina Frances Eastry 2a 1553
CUTBUSH Thomas Tenterden 2a 1129

Deaths Mar 1878

Cutbush Caroline 69 Maidstone 2a 416

Births Jun 1878

Cutbush Caroline St. Saviour 1d 145
Cutbush Henry Bromley 2a 400

Deaths Jun 1878

Cutbush Ann 85 Pancras 1b 28
Cutbush Laura Jane 7 Pancras 1b 126
Cutbush William Thomas 69 Maidenhead 2c 351

Marriages Jun 1878

CUTBUSH Arthur William L St.Olave 1d 385
CUTBUSH Joseph Hitchin 3a 423

Births Sep 1878

Cutbush Ellen Matilda Tenterden 2a 714
Cutbush George Ewen St.Olave 1d 261
Cutbush Philip Mile End Old Town 1c 552
Cutbush Rose Harriet Woolwich 1d 1082

Deaths Sep 1878

CUTBUSH Jesse 53 Maldon 4a 199

Births Dec 1878

Cutbush Florence Mile End 1c 567
Cutbush Jessie Grace Pancras 1b 199

Deaths Mar 1879

Cutbush George Ewen 0 St.Olave. 1d 224
Cutbush Lizzie Jane 5 St.Olave. 1d 231

Marriages Mar 1879

CUTBUSH Clarissa Hastings 2b 41

Births Jun 1879

Cutbush Alice Agnes Brentford 3a 62

Marriages Jun 1879

CUTBUSH Thomas Frederick St.Olave 1d 359
CUTBUSH William James Bethnal Green 1c 452

Births Sep 1879

Cutbush Elizabeth Jane Lambeth 1d 396
Cutbush Maud Elizabeth Mile End 1c 539
Cutbush Sarah Bromley 2a 413

Marriages Dec 1879

CUTBUSH Charles William R Mile End 1c 1091

Marriages Jun 1880

CUTBUSH Sidney Strand 1b 813

Marriages Sep 1880

Cutbush Annie Ellen Wandsworth 1d 927

Births Dec 1880

Cutbush Charley Stokes St.Savior 1d 113

Marriages Dec 1880

Cutbush Emma Shoreditch 1c 366
Cutbush William Hollingbourne 2a 1101

Marriages Mar 1881

CUTBUSH James Henry Edmonton 3a 237

Deaths Sep 1881

CUTBUSH Elizabeth Annie 24 W.Ham 4a 87
CUTBUSH Mary Ann 72 Croydon 2a 117
Cutbush Mary Annie 0 Mile End 1c 357
CUTBUSH May Annie 0 Mile End 1c 357

Marriages Sep 1881

CUTBUSH Henry Camberwell 1d 1185

Births Dec 1881

CUTBUSH Florence Ada St Saviour 1d 45
CUTBUSH William Henry A Tunbridge 2a 630

Deaths Mar 1882

CUTBUSH Mary 85 Maidstone 2a 437

Marriages Mar 1882

Cutbush Herbert James Pancras 1b 217

Deaths Dec 1882

CUTBUSH Abagail 69 Rye 2b 1
Cutbush Abigail 69 Rye 2b 1
Cutbush Constantine Kensington 56 Brighton 2b 116
CUTBUSH Costantine Kensington 55 Brighton 2b 116
Cutbush Ethel Harriet 0 Mile End 1c 362
Cutbush Francis 0 Fulham 1a 143
Cutbush Lydia Mary 14 Mile End 1c 37_

Marriages Dec 1882

Cutbush Harriet Hastings 2b 33
Cutbush Harry Maidstone 2a 1121
Cutbush Mary Elizabeth Brentford 3a 150

Births Mar 1883

CUTBUSH William Herbert L Islington 1b 440

Deaths Mar 1883

CUTBUSH Arthur Edward 0 Mile End 1c 393
CUTBUSH Elizabeth 61 Marylebone 1a 420

Births Jun 1883

CUTBUSH Arthur Charles St.Saviour 1d 41
CUTBUSH Philip Charles Tunbridge 2a 656
CUTBUSH William W. Ham 4a 80

Deaths Jun 1883

CUTBUSH Edward 37 Daventry 3b 63

Births Sep 1883

CUTBUSH Bertha Eliza Tunbridge 2a 654
CUTBUSH Frederick Arthur Brentford 3a 51

Deaths Sep 1883

CUTBUSH Frederick Arthur 0 Brentford 3a 35

Marriages Sep 1883

Cutbush Anne Islington 1b 434
Cutbush Nellie Jane Hackney 1b 700

Births Dec 1883

Cutbush Sidney Arthur Poplar 1c 579

Deaths Mar 1884

CUTBUSH Henry William 57 Hatfield 3a 269
CUTBUSH John 88 Hollingbourne 2a 445
CUTBUSH Philip 70 Mile End Old Town 1c 357

Deaths Jun 1884

CUTBUSH Albert 30 St Geo H Sq 1a 262

Marriages Jun 1884

CUTBUSH Eliza Pancras 1b 209

Births Sep 1884

Cutbush Catherine Brentford 3a 65
Cutbush Sidney Arthur Mile End 1c 498

Deaths Sep 1884

CUTBUSH Arthur Charles 1 St. Saviour 1d 76
CUTBUSH Charles 37 Fulham 1a 149
CUTBUSH Mary Ann 55 Islington 1b 182
CUTBUSH William 76 Tenterden 2a 469

Births Dec 1884

CUTBUSH Alfred Charles St.Saviour 1d 122
CUTBUSH Rosina Maud Islington 1b 330

Deaths Dec 1884

CUTBUSH Grace Ethel 0 Lewisham 1d 649
CUTBUSH Sidney Arthur 0 Mile End 1c 358
CUTBUSH Thomas 80 Edmonton 3a 171

Marriages Mar 1885

CUTBUSH Harry Walter Walsingham 4b 461
CUTBUSH Henry Walter Walsingham 4b 461
CUTBUSH Sarah Ann Mile End 1c 758

Births Jun 1885

Cutbush Charlotte Ellen Battle 2b 64
Cutbush Henry W. Ham 4a 109
Cutbush Joseph Henry Lambeth 1d 366

Deaths Jun 1885

Cutbush Catherine 67 Mile End 1c 361

Marriages Jun 1885

CUTBUSH Eliza Anne Forehoe 4b 307
CUTBUSH Henrietta Ann Brentford 3a 146

Deaths Sep 1885

Cutbush James 57 Pancras 1b 97

Marriages Dec 1885

Cutbush Mary Julia A Cheltenham 6a 824

Deaths Mar 1886

Cutbush Henry 0 W. Ham 4a 90

Marriages Mar 1886

CUTBUSH Eleanor Stepney 1c 618

Births Jun 1886

Cutbush Alexander Reginald Brentford 3a 60
Cutbush Bessie Clara I Fulham 1a 264
Cutbush Ethel Elizabeth Mile End 1c 526

Deaths Jun 1886

Cutbush Alexander Reginald 0 Brentford 3a 38
Cutbush Marguerite Fanny 0 Camberwell 1d 421
Cutbush William Henry 0 W. Ham 4a 39

Births Sep 1886

Cutbush George Bromley 2a 439

Births Mar 1887

CUTBUSH Arthur William Islington 1b 296

Marriages Mar 1887

CUTBUSH Annie Islington 1b 318
CUTBUSH John Islington 1b 351

Births Jun 1887

Cutbush George Alfred W. Ham 4a 21_
Cutbush Walter John Hollingbourn 2a 759

Births Sep 1887

Cutbush Catherine Rose Lambeth 1d 396
Cutbush Maggie Alice Fulham 1a 320

Marriages Sep 1887

CUTBUSH Edith Mary Edmonton 3a 353

Marriages Dec 1887

CUTBUSH Foster Richard Islington 1b 583

Deaths Mar 1888

CUTBUSH Maggie Alice 0 Fulham 1a 219

Deaths Sep 1888

Cutbush Emma Lavinia 18 Lambeth 1d 214

Marriages Dec 1888

CUTBUSH Helena Emily Pancras 1b 110
CUTBUSH Thomas George Battle 2b 141

Births Mar 1889

Cutbush Arthur St. Saviour 1d 160
Cutbush Elenor Maud Shoreditch 1c 84

Marriages Mar 1889

Cutbush George Arthur Mutford 4a 1071

Births Sep 1889

Cutbush Joseph Fulham 1a 304

Marriages Sep 1889

CUTBUSH Isabel Tracey Barnet 3a 299

Births Dec 1889

Cutbush Ada Elizabeth Forehoe 4b 186
Cutbush Esther Dorothy Islington 1b 344

Deaths Dec 1889

Cutbush Ellen Ann C 52 Hackney 1b 279

Births Mar 1890

Cutbush Alice Maud Freebridge L. 4b 333
Cutbush Ivy Helena W. Ham 4a 44

Marriages Mar 1890

Cutbush Frances Matilda Brentford 3a 103

Births Sep 1890

Cutbush Ernest St Saviour 1d 145
Cutbush Frederick John Lambeth 1d 374

Deaths Sep 1890

Cutbush Albert 0 Islington 1b 210
Cutbush Edward 71 Richmond S. 2a 206

Marriages Sep 1890

CUTBUSH Charles Allsworth Lewisham 1d 1653

Births Dec 1890

Cutbush Clara Jane Islington 1b 301
Cutbush Dorothy Mary Hollingbourne 2a 687

Marriages Dec 1890

Cutbush Elizabeth Greenwich 1d 1631

Births Mar 1891

Cutbush Lilian Mile End 1c 544
Cutbush Rose W. Ham 4a 275

Deaths Mar 1891

Cutbush Elizabeth 77 Eastbourne 2b 67
Cutbush Hannah 66 Tunbridge 2a 485
Cutbush Maria 71 Marylebone 1a 498
Cutbush William 2 W. Ham 4a 150

Deaths Jun 1891

Cutbush Horatio Richard 66 Maidstone 2a 468

Births Sep 1891

Cutbush Maud Mile End 1c 538
Cutbush Reginald Harry W. Ham 4a 163

Births Dec 1891

Cutbush Isabel Ada Brentford 3a 73

Deaths Dec 1891

Cutbush James 77 Hastings 2b 8
Cutbush John 68 Hollingbourn 2a 469
Cutbush Louisa 62 Hampstead 1a 449

Marriages Dec 1891

Cutbush William Hackney 1b 957

Deaths Mar 1892

Cutbush Frederick Walter 75 Maidstone 2a 663

Births Jun 1892

Cutbush Herbert Stanley Hollingbourn 2a 763
Cutbush John Islington 1b 306
Cutbush Walter Gibbard Norwich 4b 174

Marriages Jun 1892

CUTBUSH Henry Charles Tiverton 5b 827

Births Sep 1892

CUTBUSH William Mile End 1c 503
CUTBUSH William James Hastings 2b 21

Deaths Sep 1892

Cutbush William 0 Mile End 1c 296

Births Dec 1892

Cutbush Elsie W. Ham 4a 217
Cutbush Violet Mabel Bury 8c 611

Deaths Dec 1892

Cutbush Elsie 0 W. Ham 4a 106

Marriages Dec 1892

Cutbush Charles Edwin Norwich 4b 364

Births Mar 1893

Cutbush Hilda Mile End 1c 530
Cutbush Lilian Maud Forehoe 4b 197

Deaths Jun 1893

Cutbush Ada Florence 9 Camberwell 1d 532

Marriages Jun 1893

Cutbush Beatrice Brentford 3a 181

Deaths Sep 1893

Cutbush Alfred Frederick 1 Pancras 1b 47

Marriages Sep 1893

Cutbush Bertha Eliza Hollingbourne 2a 1341
Cutbush Florence Isabel Camberwell 1d 1482
Cutbush Lionel Lea Mile End 1c 711
Cutbush Lionel Leah Mile End 1c 711

Births Dec 1893

Cutbush William Charles Mile End 1c 491

Births Mar 1894

Cutbush Edith Ann W.Ham 4a 303

Deaths Mar 1894

Cutbush Jane 61 Maidstone 2a 499

Births Jun 1894

Cutbush Florence W. Ham 4a 161
Cutbush Harry Edgar Norwich 4b 159

Deaths Jun 1894

Cutbush Hilda 1 Mile End 1c 313

Marriages Jun 1894

Cutbush Mary Ann Bromley 2a 692

Births Sep 1894

Cutbush William Mile End 1c 456

Deaths Sep 1894

Cutbush William 0 Mile End 1c 282

Marriages Sep 1894

Cutbush Ernest George Islington 1b 676
Cutbush William Hickmann Barnet 3a 354a

Deaths Dec 1894

Cutbush Reginald Harry 3 W. Ham 4a 88

Deaths Mar 1895

Cutbush Henry Charles 28 Lewisham 1d 958
Cutbush John 0 Hollingbourn 2a 603
Cutbush Joseph Jepson 52 Camberwell 1d 796

Births Jun 1895

Cutbush Winifred Amy W.Ham 4a 181

Marriages Sep 1895

Cutbush Elizabeth Barton Regis 6a 259
Cutbush William Edwin St. Olave 1d 476

Births Dec 1895

Cutbush Charles Herbert Mile End 1c 510

Births Mar 1896

Cutbush Thomas W. Ham 4a 48

Deaths Mar 1896

Cutbush Charles 52 Lambeth 1d 270

Marriages Mar 1896

Cutbush Annie W. Ham 4a 31

Births Jun 1896

Cutbush Douglas Barnet 3a 258
Cutbush Harold Cecil W. Ham 4a 204

Marriages Jun 1896

Cutbush George Frederick Chertsey 2a 87

Births Sep 1896

Cutbush William Arthur St Olave 1d 248

Deaths Sep 1896

Cutbush Edward 76 Fulham 1a 182

Marriages Sep 1896

Cutbush Bertram Mayhew Westminster 1a 1134

Births Dec 1896

Cutbush Percy Edward W. Ham 4a 214
Cutbush Violet Georgina Norwich 4b 174

Deaths Dec 1896

Cutbush Harold Cecil 0 W. Ham 4a 85

Births Mar 1897

Cutbush George Bury 8c 626
Cutbush Harold William Hertford 3a 603

Births Jun 1897

Cutbush Victoria Irene W. Ham 4a 244

Marriages Jun 1897

Cutbush Alfred John King's L. 4b 669
Cutbush Frederick Crawley Edmonton 3a 571

Births Sep 1897

Cutbush Ellen Louise W. Ham 4a 196
Cutbush Reginald Ernest T Islington 1b 185

Deaths Sep 1897

Cutbush Annie 45 Chelsea 1a 267

Marriages Sep 1897

CUTBUSH Alice Fry St. Saviour 1d 278
CUTBUSH Charles Bromley 2a 884

Births Dec 1897

Cutbush Hilda May Bethnal G. 1c 187

Deaths Dec 1897

Cutbush Elizabeth 85 Elham 2a 607
Cutbush George 62 Maidstone 2a 432
Cutbush Marian 58 St. Saviour 1d 107

Births Mar 1898

Cutbush George W. Ham 4a 54

Deaths Mar 1898

Cutbush Elizabeth 33 Kensington 1a 155

Marriages Jun 1898

Cutbush Jane Elizabeth St. Saviour 1d 358

Births Sep 1898

Cutbush Elsie Elizabeth Fulham 1a 212

Deaths Sep 1898

Cutbush William 45 W. Ham 4a 155

Marriages Dec 1898

CUTBUSH Edward Daventry 3b 244

Births Jun 1899

Cutbush Agnes Josephine Norwich 4b 166

Deaths Jun 1899

Cutbush Emma Louise 37 W. Ham 4a 171
Cutbush Louisa 68 Brighton 2b 136

Marriages Jun 1899

Cutbush Alice Agnes Strand 1b 1165

Births Sep 1899

Cutbush Gladys Esmeralda M Bury 8c 605

Marriages Sep 1899

Cutbush Charles Easthampstead 2c 907

Deaths Dec 1899

Cutbush Matilda Mary 71 Pancras 1b 137

Births Mar 1900

Cutbush Amelia Rose Daventry 3b 103
Cutbush Charles St. Saviour 1d 98
Cutbush Elvie W. Ham 4a 97

Deaths Mar 1900

Cutbush Amelia 84 Elham 2a 893

Births Jun 1900

Cutbush Harold Frederick Edmonton 3a 449

Deaths Jun 1900

Cutbush Elvie 0 W. Ham 4a 50

Births Sep 1900

Cutbush Gladys W. Ham 4a 313
Cutbush Grace Hackney 1b 545

Deaths Sep 1900

Cutbush Charles 0 St. Saviour 1d 53
Cutbush Maria 56 Camberwell 1d 567

Marriages Sep 1900

Cutbush Arthur James Hailsham 2b 198
Cutbush Catherine W. Ham 4a 54

Marriages Dec 1900

Cutbush Helen W. Ham 4a 179
Cutbush Henry James Islington 1b 560
Cutbush James Henry W. Ham 4a 510
Cutbush Thomas George H W. Ham 4a 49

Births Mar 1901

Cutbush Queenie May Hailsham 2b 97
Cutbush Violet Agnes Norwich 4b 125

Deaths Mar 1901

Cutbush Harold Frederick 0 Edmonton 3a 232
Cutbush Violet Agnes 0 Norwich 4b 91

Marriages Mar 1901

Cutbush Francis Ernest Medway 2a 751
Cutbush Rose Harriet Daventry 3b 125
Cutbush Sarah W.Ham 4a 116

Births Jun 1901

Cutbush Henry W. Ham 4a 102

Deaths Jun 1901

Cutbush Charles Henry 68 St. Saviour 1d 1

Births Sep 1901

CUTBUSH Edward Joseph Bromley 2a 513
CUTBUSH Edward Victor Bury 8c 571

Deaths Sep 1901

Cutbush Reuben 70 Billericay 4a 368

Marriages Sep 1901

CUTBUSH Frederick Mayhew W. Derby 8b 867
CUTBUSH George James Greenwich 1d 1890
CUTBUSH Mabel Annie Camberwell 1d 1617

Births Dec 1901

Cutbush Henry James Islington 1b 279
Cutbush Ivy Southwark 1d 98

Marriages Dec 1901

Cutbush Jessie Grace Fulham 1a 779

Births Mar 1902

Cutbush Lilian Agnes Romford 4a 567
Cutbush Vera May E Edmonton 3a 440

Deaths Mar 1902

Cutbush Fanny 31 Bromley 2a 347
Cutbush Mary 91 Edmonton 3a 300
Cutbush William 77 Pancras 1b 128

Births Jun 1902

CUTBUSH George Jessup Greenwich 1d 1021
CUTBUSH Mildred Vina Hailsham 2b 94
CUTBUSH Patrick Barnet 3a 342

Deaths Jun 1902

Cutbush Eliza 92 Tenterden 2a 520

Marriages Jun 1902

Cutbush Philip W. Ashford 2a 1531
Cutbush Rosina Maud Islington 1b 283

Births Sep 1902

Cutbush Annie Beatrice Hackney 1b 471

Deaths Sep 1902

Cutbush Caroline 39 Pancras 1b 9[68]

Marriages Sep 1902

Cutbush Herbert F Northampton 3b 209
Cutbush James George Hendon 3a 550
Cutbush Lydia Bromley 2a 1062

Deaths Dec 1902

Cutbush John 84 Cranbrook 2a 504
Cutbush Queenie May 1 Hailsham 2b 63

Births Mar 1903

Cutbush George William Northampton 3b 67

Marriages Jun 1903

Cutbush Walter John Sheppey 2a 2036

Births Sep 1903

Cutbush Emily Elsie Barton R. 6a 247

Deaths Sep 1903

Cutbush Thomas 37 Easthampstead 2c 233

Births Dec 1903

Cutbush Evelyn E Northampton 3b 56
Cutbush Margaret Mary Hollingbourne 2a 868

Marriages Dec 1903

Cutbush Amy Eliza St. Olave 1d 430
Cutbush Edward Paddington 1a 30
Cutbush Philip Walter G Newcastle T. 10b 210
Cutbush Richard Henry St. Olave 1d 427
Cutbush William Henry A Rye 2b 15

Births Mar 1904

CUTBUSH Doris Maud Romford 4a 578
Cutbush George Alfred Islington 1b 298
CUTBUSH Roy Howard Edmonton 3a 523

Births Jun 1904

Cutbush Gwyneth Elaine Elham 2a 1121
Cutbush William West Ham 4a 53
Cutbush William John Eastbourne 2b 83

Births Sep 1904

Cutbush Alfred John Downham 4b 335

Births Dec 1904

CUTBUSH Amelia Elizabeth Islington 1b 232
CUTBUSH Rhoda Evelyn Hollingbourn 2a 886

Births Mar 1905

Cutbush Doris Southwark 1d 94
Cutbush Lewis Henry N Brentford 3a 114

Births Sep 1905

Cutbush Alec Gordon Portsmouth 2b 490
Cutbush Ernest Hubie Romford 4a 574
Cutbush Esther May Bromley 2a 586a
Cutbush William Roger Islington 1b 151

Births Mar 1906

Cutbush Richard F Lewisham 1d 1179

Births Sep 1906

Cutbush Charles W. Ham 4a 49
Cutbush Norah Alethea Hollingbourne 2a 939
Cutbush Walter Edward Daventry 3b 92

Births Dec 1906

Cutbush Charles Percy H Romford 4a 599

Births Mar 1907

Cutbush Albert William Islington 1b 227
Cutbush Emily Bromley 2a 566
Cutbush Louise Eastbourne 2b 68

Births Sep 1907

Cutbush Leslie Ernest Portsmouth 2b 433
Cutbush Leslie Restall J Chorlton 8c 738

Births Mar 1908

Cutbush Percy Albert Romford 4a 617

Deaths Mar 1908

CUTBUSH Leslie Ernest 0 Portsmouth 2b 325
CUTBUSH Walter Edward 1 Daventry 3b 68

Births Sep 1908

Cutbush Dorothy Sarah Daventry 3b 94

Marriages Sep 1908

CUTBUSH Ernest Devonport 5b 705

Births Mar 1909

CUTBUSH Ernest Charles Godstone 2a 219

Marriages Sep 1909

CUTBUSH Leonard Romford 4a 1025

Deaths Mar 1910

Cutbush Florence Mary 38 Chertsey 2a 48

Marriages Mar 1910

Cutbush Charlotte Ellen Battle 2b 79
Cutbush Ethel Elizabeth Mile End 1c 575
Cutbush Gertrude Mary Milton 2a 1577
Cutbush Walter Percy Camberwell 1d 1225

Surname First name(s) Mother/Age District Vol Page

Births Jun 1919

CUTBUSH Frances V Hennesy Southwark 1d 76
CUTBUSH Leslie S B Crust Maidstone 2a 1162

Has our search engine found the record you are seeking?

Click here to learn what to do now.
Found one partner in a marriage but now looking for the spouse?

Click here for more information.
Don't understand the results?

Perhaps our Frequently Asked Questions could have the answer.

Has our search engine failed to find the record you are seeking? The whole index hasn't yet been transcribed - see here for which years have been transcribed.

Since we haven't yet transcribed the whole index we need more people to help. If you have very basic skills, a computer and half an hour a week, FreeBMD needs you! You don't have to be a good typist - just accurate! Help us and speed up the rate at which free birth, marriage and death indexes become available.

Click here to learn more and volunteer.

FreeBMD Main Page

© Crown copyright. Published by permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Office for National Statistics.
You must not copy on, transfer or reproduce records without the prior permission of ONS.
Search engine, layout and database Copyright © 1998-2004 The Trustees of FreeBMD (Ben Laurie, Graham Hart, Camilla von Massenbach and David Mayall), a charity registered in England and Wales, Number 1096940.
We make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or completeness of the FreeBMD data.
Use of the FreeBMD website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all those informative posts, Debra.
Robert was right, I did drop the brandy bottle but good fortune smiled on me as it was empty.
No, I haven't come across this Josiah Taylor before but will certainly see if I can't drag him out of the dark closet he hides in.
Interesting that the original lease agreement for 63 & 64 Roadside were discovered in Brisbane, Oz.
Sometime ago I did hit on a web-site for Queensland burials and managed to flag up two Cutbush burials from the LVP in an undisclosed graveyard, but when I attempted to pursue the information I was continually redirected to a site trying to make me subscribe to an Australian daily national paper!
With this new information you have kindly contributed I shall try again, and buy the bloody newspaper if that is what it takes.
Personally I feel quite positive about the Taylor - Cutbush connection, especially when I consider your recent post and my older post concerning the great great great nephew of the sea-faring Janet Taylor who just happened to have a grandmother called Cutbush.
Hopefully when I'm down under in 2005 I'll be able to follow some of this up first hand.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
re your concerns about the elderly Floods fathering children, it did seem popular amongst the Flood - and Cutbush - males to find themselves very young brides, and then to change them constantly for even younger models.
In fact they had brides like we have baths.
I would guess that the age difference was on the 25 year mark.
Thanks again for that valuable connection between Mears/Flood/Cutbush... I'm going to seek that out and see if I can't find more.
Also thanks for all them Cutbush folk, more than you can shake an empty bottle of brandy at!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Going back to Debra's post about the application to improve No. 272 Whitechapel Rd in 1867, and bearing in mind that 272 later became a people's market, this item shows that these "people's markets" were in the air at the time :

10th Dec 1867

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3544
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

Re John Hayne's middle initial, in 1881 the initial does look like a 'K' (although a very bad one)but in 1871 it's 'L'. Also there is a FREE BMD record of the death of a John Lewis Hayne at just the right age and in more or less the right place, in 1882 :

Deaths Sep 1882

Hayne John Lewis 72 St Saviour
1d 101

Also, the marriage certificate of Thomas Taylor Cutbush and Kate Hayne has him as John Lewis Hayne. So I'd say he was definitely John Lewis Hayne, though I suppose it's possible he also had a third forename beginning with 'K'.

I don't know whether I've ever noticed this before, but Clara seems to be missing from the 1871 census. I've looked for her, and the best I can come up with is an Elizabeth C Hayne, 26, St Mary St, Market Place, Wallingford, Berkshire. This was clearly a large shop, and her occupation is assistant milliner. I think it's quite possibly our clara, because she gives her birthplace, not just as Oxfordshire, but as Wallington Oxfordshire, which she also does in the 1901 census.

If it is her, then it's quite a jump from assistant milliner 1871 to income derived from property 1881.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Boughton Aluph mentioned in Uncle Charles's census return for 1851, also crops up in 1871. I believe that Thomas, the son of the Thomas Cutbush who was born at Stratford, was at Kemps or Remps Hall school there, aged 12.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You'll have to excuse me, Robert.
I've been asleep on the front pew of St Luke's, Chelsea, clutching an empty bottle of brandy whilst uncle Charles sermonized against Catholics.
Something filtered through the clouds though:

'St Luke’s impresses by its height, which is enhanced by spacious surroundings.281 Its nave, rising to 60 ft, is taller than that of any church in London except St Paul’s and Westminster abbey. Designed in patriotic English Perpendicular style by James Savage to seat c.2,000,'

Am I going mad with brandy? Or do I remember a 'Savage' from one of the wills?
Probably mad.

'Monuments in the church include one by Chantrey to Lt-Col. Henry Cadogan (d. 1813), formerly in the Old Church, and one considered the best work of W. Pepper the younger, to Luke Thomas Flood (d. 1857).292'

Who Pepper the younger?
I must look.
Of course the bells - those damned bells - are Mears.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP-couldnt make up my mind for a minute whether I was reading about Joan of Arc or The Mad Hatter"s Tea Party-was it Joan hearing her beloved "Bells" or Dormouse dozing off on one?
Joking aside it really is fascinating stuff this on the Cutbush family.Amazing.
Natalie

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3547
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie

We may not die knowing who JTR was, but we will die knowing a fair amount about the Cutbushes.

AP, here is an item about St Luke's, Chelsea. It wasn't a Catholic church, but it was worried :

FEB 12th 1851

Here is a possible candidate for Josiah Taylor. There are several more reports on this case, as it got very complicated.

(July 16th 1824)

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.