Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through November 11, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Cutbush, Thomas » Cutbush in the 1881 Census » Archive through November 11, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3366
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debra

Thanks very much indeed for that link. Yes, one wonders just when the Mears and Cutbush families first became acquainted.

The site mentions a William Mears who was master of the junior society in 1783.

In 1850 there were Charles, George and John Mears, all members from Whitechapel.

Very interesting!

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
the will is a real treasure trove!
So much information that I will need to sit down and read it several times.
But even a quick read rewards with the now factual passing down of the properties in Fieldgate Street; the extreme wealth of this clan with all their properties scattered all over Middlesex and elsewhere; the fact that this individual had clockmaking and other technical instruments is of great interest; and then the bombshell right at the end of the will where the third wife is slung out of the will without a penny and with a great deal of venom and confusion.
I'm going to be reading this for some time.
A great step forward, Robert, I take me hat and wig off to you sir!

Yes thanks Debra

This is also good news. I have been fiddling with an earlier connection for some time now but nothing as solid as this.
I knew that the young Mears originally attached himself to a group of clock- and bell-makers in Maidstone before venturing up to Whitechapel, but I have not been able to link a Cutbush to this - although we do now know that there was indeed a family of Cutbush clockmakers in Maidstone at the time.
I shall check out the link and look further.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3370
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Yes, there's a lot to unpack in the will. I'll get on with transcribing Luke George's and Clarissa's. Luke George's is fairly short and simple, but there's a bit more meat in Clarissa's. (I should say that Clarissa was Tom Flood's mother and Luke George seems to have been a son of hers who died young).

I think I can make sense of a lot of the genealogy, but it's complicated. I'll try and post a coherent account at the weekend.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
I've started unpacking already.
Here is just a small sample of what I've found using one small piece of information in the will:

'CUTBUSH - glaziers, plumbers, painters in Whitechapel: 1780s
FLOOD, Luke - chandler in Whitechapel: 1760

HUNT, Matilda - Whitechapel: 1780 - 1871 - married Thomas MEARS 1806

This is an entry from the Whitechapel burial register (available through an
LDS FHL)-

"Matilda [Caroline] Cutbush, Roadside, buried 6 April 1829, aged 21."
(Roadside is how the register refers to Whitechapel Road)

The Times death notice for 4 April 1829 read:

"On the 29th ult. at her fathers house, in the 22nd year of her age
Matilda Catherine Cutbush daughter of Thomas Mears Esq., Church Bell
Founder at Whitechapel." (The Bell Foundry was, and still is, in
Whitechapel Road) Matilda's husband was a painter and glazier.

the death
notices of 9 Feb 1818 contain an 18 line effusive account of Luke Flood, a
chandler, mentioning among other things bequests he made to the children
and widows of Whitechapel parish.'

I think you got a gold mine here.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3371
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great stuff, AP. Interesting that Whitechapel Rd was referred to as "Roadside" because Luke George speaks of himself as of "30 Road".

I think I may have found TTC's sister.
Thomas F is in all the censuses, and I think I've got Edward for 1871 and 1881. There's loads of stuff. We've just got to put it together.

Evidently there were connections between Whitechapel and Enfield Cutbushes.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert
it's your baby, just don't give it too much tea!
Try dipping the dummy in brandy.
You are right, everything must be put together, and I'm planning to spend my time in Oz doing just that, but you are the best man for the difficult job.
I noted that TFC seemed very concerned about his plants and bulbs in his will, so thought the following of interest, taken from a bulb catalogue of 1864:

'Messrs. Cutbush, of Highgate, have a fair collection, and most nursery and seedsmen can supply bulbs enough for a beginning. Only create a demand and we shall soon be inundate with numerous varieties, and there is no flower that is worthy of more extended cultivation.'

Also interesting was his distinction in the paintings in his home, that he was at pains seemingly to protect original art work painted by his immediate family, which would seem to indicate an artistic Cutbush in the clan.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3373
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, AP, there does seem to have been an artist at work somewhere.

I've just tried to post the original, but it exceeds the size allowable. I'll try to email it to you.

If this all ends up coming back to those accursed horticultural Cutbushes, I shall be giving up tea for brandy.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Luke George had his side beside his Road after all.

LUKE GEORGE’S WILL

I Luke George Cutbush of 30 Road side in the parish of Saint Mary Whitechapel in the County of Middlesex plumber and glazier do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following I give divide and bequeath unto my beloved wife Elizabeth Cutbush all my money securities for money goods chattels estate and effects of what manner or kind soever to hold the same unto my said wife her heirs executors advisers and (illeg) and I do nominate constitute and appoint my said wife sole executrix of this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all and every other will or wills at any time heretofore by me made and I do declare this to be my last will and testament in witness whereof I the said Luke George Cutbush have hereunto set my hand and seal the seventeenth day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and nineteen – Luke George Cutbush Esq – Signed Sealed declared and published by the above named Luke George Cutbush as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our hands as witnesses hereto Sophia Cutbush 29 Whitechapel Road, Jas Little 2 Gloucester Terrace Commercial Road

Proved at London 5 July 1820 before the worshipful Samuel Rush (illeg) Doctor of Laws and surrogate by the oath of Elizabeth Cutbush widow the relict the sole executrix to whom admin was granted having been first sworn duly to administer.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course in my excitement at reading the first marvellous will found by Robert I missed the most essential point… that being the direct link the will establishes between Luke Flood Cutbush and Thomas Hayne Cutbush - as passed down by his own father, Thomas Taylor Cutbush - through the properties at 6 & 7 Fieldgate Street. This must mean that we are looking at a direct line of inheriting Cutbush male members of exactly the same family.
I believe that this is the first time such a link has been provided and proved.
Even more exciting is that we now have it as established fact that Thomas Hayne Cutbush was closely related to the Mears family of Whitechapel Foundry fame; and as we now know this Mears family had a long running and acrimonious dispute in the years leading up to 1888 - eventually settled in the courts - with our Lord Grimthorpe concerning the faulty construction of ‘Big Ben’.
Again this provides us - for the very first time - with a perfectly plausible reason for Thomas Hayne Cutbush to be writing a letter to Lord Grimthorpe.

Robert, you are to be thoroughly congratulated on these two counts alone.

There are many other points to be raised as well; and I for one am so pleased to see some solid evidence coming in at last about the mysterious Cutbush clan.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3379
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks AP, though it's true that TTC appears to be only one of the people who had an interest in the two Fieldgate Street houses.

At least we don't have to worry about any street re-numbering - nos 6 and 7 stayed nos 6 and 7.

I tried to send you the original images but they bounced back at me.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No worries Robert.

Another trend - or trait - in the Cutbush males appears to be a fondness for marrying very young brides with a considerable inheritance, and then dispatching them to an early grave, and from thence going onto sisters or other near female relatives to continue the process.
I believe we can detect that trait and trend in three generations here... so far.
It is something that I must study in detail.
Perhaps this is where the Cutbush fortune came from.
Ideally I would like to find out the cause of death in the first Mears sister that Luke Flood married, and also in the case of Agnes married to Thomas Taylor Cutbush.
Both married very young and then died very young.

And I'm still perplexed about Kate's fortunes on her death. If she really did get control of Thomas Hayne Cutbush's inheritance then she should have been minted.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3381
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, I shall try to obtain the wills of Clara and Kate.

I don't know whether we'll ever find out what Miss Mears died of. But Agnes, I should think yes.

Interesting that we have another Cutbush living at 29 Whitechapel Road.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3382
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, re email, I'll answer here because the emails seem up the creek at the moment.

I can only imagine that the Big Ben mentioned in the pamphlet was some celebrated bareknuckle pugilist. The context would seem to suggest this.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Robert, there does appear to be Cutbush clusters in 'Roadside' and Fieldgate Street. I'm still beavering away at that angle.

You are most certainly right about the Big Ben mentioned... I never thought of that aspect, still I will pursue it a little further, if only for my own amusement.

Regarding Miss Mears, I would have thought that in such a famous family some form of documentation would still exist detailing the circumstances of her death.
On that note I have had no luck in trying to find out the circumstances of Agnes Cutbush's early death. Have you managed to read the gravestone yet?
I've tried to copy the image and then magnify it but have failed miserably.
Anyways I'm going to print out the first will you posted and then spend hours on it.
It still has much to give up.
Meanwhile here are two interesting snippets, the first is a Thomas Haynes, rapist, and convincted for life to the colony of Australia:

'Haynes Thomas 4689 Life 20 Cambridge 14 03 1849 Rape '

The second is the only reference I have so far found in the USA mentioning a 'Thomas Cutbush' and London:

'June 10, 1790. U.530. Children: Edward, Ann, William, James. Friends: Thomas Cutbush
and his Wife, Ann Cutbush [of London].'

This reference is a will extract from Philladelphia.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3383
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I got my nephew to do an enhancement job, but the only words to appear were "Taylor Cutbush" and, lower down, the word "and". It's maddening.

Re the friends in London item, I think this is the same one you told me about before. Certainly there were Cutbushes in London at that time. But it cannot be Thomas Hoskins Cutbush, the father of Tom Flood, because Thomas Hoskins Cutbush was married to Clarissa, whose will I am currently transcribing. You'll see mention of a Little family, but it certainly wasn't a little family!

Re Luke Flood's first wife, yes there might be records somewhere - but not apparently at the Foundry. I only hope Luke didn't do up her dressing room with arsenic paint.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, here are the people I've so far traced as being baptised at St Andrew, Enfield, with Thomas Cutbush and Ann as parents. Hopefully these are TTC's siblings.

CLARISSA CUTBUSH
Female

Event(s):

Birth: 18 DEC 1842

Christening: 09 OCT 1844 Saint Andrew, Enfield, London, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Father: THOMAS CUTBUSH
Family

Mother: ANN

ANN ELIZABETH CUTBUSH
Female

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 06 MAY 1840 Saint Andrew, Enfield, London, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Family

Mother: ANN

SOPHIA CUTBUSH
Female

Event(s):

Birth:

Christening: 29 MAR 1837 Saint Andrew, Enfield, London, England

Death:

Burial:

Parents:
Family

Mother: ANNE

And of course there was Thomas Taylor, baptised on the same day as Clarissa, although the latter had been born two years before. Two on one ticket!

Robert

(Message edited by Robert on November 06, 2004)

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great guns, Robert.
I'm still trying to wrap my poor old head around this complicated family!
Agnes Cutbush's grave stone will not defeat me... I'll give her another go, but at least your efforts do seem to indicate that there was no rancour or ill feeling between TTC and the Stoddarts at her death.
Which would seem to exclude a sudden and suspicious death.
However I'm still convinced that there is a trend here amongst the male Cutbush's to see off young brides quickly, for their bride price/prize, and this includes TTC.
THC as the out-of-control end product of such a male dominated system?

Will study your latest findings along with the wills.
Keep the guns oiled Robert.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3385
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, it seems possible that the Thomas Cutbush who married Ann Taylor in 1836 and subsequently fathered TTC was Thomas Cutbush the second son of Tom Flood. But I don't know for sure yet.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, there's a Christening at St Mary Whitechapel for 15th November 1833 for Matilda Cutbush, father Luke Flood, mother Mary Ann.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3388
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the last will and testament of me Clarissa Cutbush of Enfield Town in the County of Middlesex widow I direct in the first place that all my just debts funeral expenses and the (illeg) of proving this my will be duly paid and satisfied I give and bequesth all my household furniture plate linen china books pictures prints wines (illeg) wearing apparel clocks watches jewels trinkets and other personal ornaments unto my son Tom Flood Cutbush and I give and devise all that copyhold messuage or tenement with the appurtenances situate and being No 30 Whitechapel Road in the County of Middlsex unto my said son Tom Flood Cutbush his heirs and assign for ever according to the custom of the manor of which the same is holden with all the rent that may be due from him for the same at the time of my decease. I also give and devise unto my said son Tom Flood Cutbush all that my freehold messuage or tenement with the appurtenances situate and being in (illeg) Street in the parish of Saint George in the East in the County of Middlesex to hold the same unto my said son Tonm Flood Cutbush his heirs and assign for ever. I give and (illeg) on trust unto my said son Tom Flood Cutbush and my son in law James Little all such stock in the new three pounds ten shillings per cent rate the new four pounds per cent annuities as shall be standing in my name in the bank books belonging to me at my decease.. Upon the trusts and to and for the intents and purposes hereinafter mentioned expressed and directed of and concerming the same that is to say upon trust that they my said trustees and the survivor of them his executors or administrators do and shall from time to time until my grand daughter Eleanor Cobb shall attain the age of twenty one years or be married lay out and invest the dividends interest and annual produce thereof half yearly as the same shall become due and be (illeg) in the purchase of other stock in addition to what may be standing in my name in the said three pounds ten shillings per cent annuities at my decease to accumulate by the way of compound interest and when and so soon as my said grand daughter Eleanor Cobb shall attain the age of twenty one years or be married then upon trust that they my said trustees or the survivor of them his executors or administrators do and shall assign transfer and make over the said principal stocks or funds unto my said grand daughter to and for her own absolute use and benefit and in case my said grand daughter Eleanor Cobb shall die under the age of twenty one years and without having been married then upon trust that they my said trustees and the survivor of them his executors or administrators do and shall on such the decease of my said grand daughter assign hereafter and make over the said stock or funds unto my other grand children children of my son Tom Flood Cutbush and my daughter Clarissa Little late wife oif James Little hereinafter particularly named or the survivors of them according to the rule hereinafter laid down each share and share alike and as to the rest residue and remainder of my stock in the public funds standing in the three pounds per cent secured annuities and all other my estate and effects which I may die possessed of interested in or entitled unto I give and bequeath the same and every part thereof not before specified unto my said son Tom Flood Cutbush and my said son in law James Little their executors and administrators upon trust to divide equally between my hereafter named grand children share and share alike on their attaining the age of twenty one years or have been married namely Luke Flood Cutbush Thomas Cutbush Sophia Holt wife of Thomas Littleton Holt Clarissa Cutbush Ann Cutbush and Edward Cutbush children of my son Tom Flood Cutbush and also my grand children Clarissa Little James Little Joseph Little Sarah Little Mary Ann Little Emma Little Eleanor Little and Thomas Little children of my late daughter Clarissa Little deceased to be equally divided between the whole of them share and share alike. Should any of my before mentioned grand children being the children of my son Tom Flood Cutbush and my daughter Clarissa Little not have attained the age of twenty one years or have not been married at the time of my decease I do then require my executors and trustees to invest lay out the child or children’s share separately and distinctly in some one of the government funds in the joint names of the executors and trustees with the childs name to which the said amount shall belong.
Should the said child arrive at the age of twenty one years or be married and that they shall layout and invest the dividends interest or annual produce thereof every half year as the same shall become due and payable in the purchase of other stock in addition to the original amount to accumulate by the way of compound interest until they arrive at the age of twenty one years or be married and then that they shall make over the said stock with its accumulation of interest thereon to each of them as they shall so become of age .Should any of the before named grand children children of my son Tom Flood Cutbush or my daughter Clarissa Little die before attaining the age of twenty one years and unmarried such child or children share so (illeg) to be divided among the survivors of the before named grand children being the children of my son Tom Flood Cutbush and my daughter Clarissa Little each share and share alike for their own absolute use and benefit in addition to the before mentioned division and subject to the before named regulation should any of them still remain minors. I do hereby appoint my said son Tom Flood Cutbush and my said son in law James Little my executors and trustees to this my will and testament making each of them responsible only for their own actions and not for the acts deeds (illeg) neglects or defaults of the other but each of them only for his own acts deeds (illeg) neglects and defaults nor for any loss which may happen to the said monies without this or that wilful neglect and default and lastly I revoke all former wills by me at any time heretofore made in witness whereof I have to this my last will and testament contained on four sides of paper set my hand to the first three sides thereof and my hand and seal to the fourth and last side thereof this twenty ninth day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty two Clarissa Cutbush SS signed sealed published and declared by the said testator as and for her last will and testament in the presence of us who in her presence at her request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses thereto James Taylor Enfield Town – William Lake Enfield Town - Ebenezer Gibbons Enfield Town

I Clarissa Cutbush of Enfield Town Middlesex widow of the late Thomas Hoskins Cutbush of the storekeepers office Tower of London and formerly of Whitechapel Road London do hereby make such alterations to my will as is herein specified the will bearing date twenty ninth day of feby. 1832 and witnessed by James Taylor William Lake and Ebenezer Gibbons all of Enfield Town Middlsex first that having advanced my grandson Thomas Cutbush plumber painter and glazier of Enfield Town one hundred ponds sterling to assist him to (commence?) business (which sum was not to be liable to interest) I do hereby order that my executors do deduct that amount from his share of the division of property altho (sic) no note or receipt of the same is in existence..I (illeg) that the copyhold house and premises being No. 30 Whitechapel Road on lease to my son Tom Flood Cutbush and in my will left to the use of his own will shall be his property and for his sole use during his natural life but at and after his demise it shall be the property of my grand daughter Ann Cutbush and her (first?) child’s boy or girl for ever and for ever according to the usage and custom of the manor of which the same is holden without being subject to the debts of any husband she may have and at her death as before mentioned shall be the first child’s boy or girl. Should she die without issue then the same estate shall be in common the amounts profits and advantages or interest derivable therefrom shall be divided by my executors administrators or assigns between my two other granddaughters daughters of my son Tom Flood Cutbush namely Sophia Holt and Clarissa Meek each equally share and share alike or in case of their demise their first child to take their parents share but that the said estate shall not in either case be under the control of their husbands nor liable to their debts. I also leave my dear grand daughter Ann Cutbush the bedstead with all appurtenances thereto bed bolster pillows blanket coverlid of my own room with all the furniture placed therein. My bed body and table linen blankets
with all my cloaths clock and watches and with all the crockery and whatever may be (illeg) in the (illeg) closet in the adjoining room to my bed room with my tea and table spoons for her sole use. - Clariisa Cutbush SS Signed sealed published and declared by the said testator this day of Jany 18th 1838 in the presence of each other and at the request of the testator and in her presence we subscribe our names as witnesses thereto James Taylor – William Lake – Ebenezer Gibbons

Proved at London with a codicil the 2nd October 1843 before the worshipful John (Sauberry?) Doctor of Laws and surrogate by the oaths of Tom Flood Cutbush the son and James Little the executors to whom power was granted having been first sworn duly to administer.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert, stunning stuff.
I'm in Cutbush land for the next six months with this lot.
You'll find me at the Cutbush city limits!
Now I'm really confused with this lot.
Hopefully you are able to battle through and give us a reasonable family tree in about fifteen years time.
It is marvelous reading, Robert, and I've already got a few tweeks out of it... like noting that a 'Little' was witness to the will and of course a 'Little' married Clarissa.
An interesting occupation was 'storekeepers office, Tower of London' as well.
Much more to read.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

James Taylor - I wonder if this is a tie-in with the Taylor family of TTC fame.

I have the will of Edward Cutbush, another son of Thomas Hoskins Cutbush, and he there describes his father as being of the Tower of London.

I think it's starting to come together. Would appreciate your observations and suggestions as ever.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, in searching for a Cutbush who married a Cobb I found an Eleanor Cutbush who married Richard Tebb at Stepney St Dunstan 1813. I now think that the word I transcribed as "Cobb" is probably "Tebb" i.e. the grand daughter Eleanor Cobb is really Eleanor Tebb, daughter of the woman who married in 1813.

Just off to feed my guide dog.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I agree Robert, things are really starting to come together, but I do need to sit down and read through everything again. There is so much detail now that really we should be able to point the search in a deliberate direction and ignore much of the other stuff. My observations and suggestions will follow shortly, after the brandy bottle has been emptied.
Get the guide dog on carrots, it will be able to see in the dark then and might well be able to put together a Cutbush family tree.
Meanwhile if you are not too 'willed' out I have found another Cutbush one for you.
And, it appears the Cutbush clan were plumbers and glaziers of old:

'Maidstone Freeman’s Index:
Cutbush Thomas 1792 Cutbush Robert Plumber glazier Cutbush Thomas 1799 Lott John Henry Plumber glazier Cutbush Thomas 1817 Apps William Plumber Cutbush Thomas 1820 Clout William Plumber Cutbush Thomas 1830 Boorman Francis Plumber glazier'

This is also a small hit I found in Melbourne:

'Looking for anyone also interested in the CUTBUSH family in Melbourne. I have John Charles Cutbush b 1824 in Shoreditch, London. John immigrated to Australia and lived in Melbourne. I have recently found out that he was Porter in Charge (Station Master) to the traffic branch of the Victorian Railways at Trawella, Leigh Road, on 02/04/1862, and that at this time he was married. He was also listed in 1880 and 1886. John's parents were Henry Cutbush and Charlotte Elizabeth Swaine.'

I'm following this Tower of London business but everywhere I go the site is shut down. Has someone blown it up?
Great work, Robert.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Robert, but regarding the Taylor connection - this probably could not come at a more difficult time - I have just discovered that a Taylor family of bell makers were intimately connected to the Mears family of bell makers. In fact they vied with one another up and down the country - and abroad - to design and build bells for churches and the like during the entire LVP, and continue to do so today. Sometimes Mears repaired Taylor's bells and sometimes Taylor repaired Mear's bells.
I'm going to start a new thread for this - before it becomes even more confusing - but here is just one very small example of their intimate business dealings:

'NEW MILVERTON St Mark 5 14-2-11 in G

Grid Ref: 151/311621
These are a clock chime with the fourth quarter bell hung for ringing. The 4th is the old bell from the previous church, being by Thomas Mears, 1835. It is hung for ringing in a frame dated 1880. Taylors provided new ringing fittings for it in 1917. The others are hung dead. They are clock bells really, but all five can be chimed from an Ellacombe chiming manual.

1 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 3-0-12

2 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 3-3-24

3 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 5-2-18

4 Thomas Mears, Whitechapel 1835 9-3-15

5 John Taylor & Co, Loughborough 1884 14-2-11'

So there you go.
We now have Cutbush, Mears, Taylor and Lord Grimthorpe all in the tower clock business.
Lawdy me!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a small hit, AP, but a big one. It sounds very promising. I emailed the Port Melbourne Preservation Society but got not a sausage in reply. Perhaps the preservation society hasn't been preserved.

The other day I obtained the will of Thomas Cutbush plumber etc Maidstone 1834. I think this was the one whose wife got into debt after his death, and there was a court case over it. I photocopied the details at the Supreme Court library some time ago. It's a long will and will take a while to transcribe.

The Tower site is probably down while the ravens are on tea break.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just seen your post, AP. Oh crumbs. Wasn't there a Dorothy Sayers story called "The Nine Tailors"
about a man who was driven mad by bells?

That site Debra mentioned might orove handy here.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert
have just ran with part of the Cutbush will concerning 'philosophical instruments', and well I just sort of knew what I would I find, that Galileo's escapement mechanism for a pendulum clock is the bench-mark for philosophical instruments.
Now I wonder who else in the world during the LVP was developing a fancy escapement movement for a very large clock for a very large tower in London?
Cutbush city limits?
I think I need a holiday.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3404
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2004 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, AP, philosophical in the old meaning, I suppose, that included the sciences, before the sciences developed and split into a million specialisms.

Make that a working holiday, AP - don't forget TTC.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3405
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RUNDOWN

AP here is a rundown in chronological order of some records re the Cutbushes.

30th November 1784 Tom Flood Cutbush baptised at St Mary Whitechapel. Parents Thomas Hoskins Cutbush and Clarissa.

20th May 1786 Luke George Cutbush born. Baptised 11th June at St Matthew Bethnal Green. Parents Thomas Cutbush and Clarissa.

25th August 1787 Clarissa Cutbush born, baptised 23rd September 1787 at St Matthew Bethnal Green. Parents Thomas Cutbush and Clarissa.

1803 Tom Flood Cutbush marries Sophia Cope at St Thomas Southwark.

14th October 1804 Luke Flood Cutbush baptised St Mary Whitechapel. Parents Tom Flood Cutbush and Sophia.

11th September 1811 Sophisa Cutbush, daughter of Tom Flood Cutbush and Sophia, Christened at St Mary Whitechapel.

1813 Eleanor Cutbush marries Richard Tebb at St Dunstan Stepney.

11th January 1815 Clarissa Cutbush baptised at St Mary Whitechapel. Parents Tom Flood Cutbush and Sophia.

3rd October 1817 Ann Cutbush baptised at St Mary Whitechapel. Parents Tom Flood Cutbush and Sophia.

1820 Luke George Cutbush and Edward Cutbush, sons of Thomas Hoskins Cutbush and Clarissa, die.

7th August 1828 Luke Flood Cutbush marries Matilda Catherine Mears at Brighton.

22nd November 1830 Sophis Cutbush marries Thomas Lyttleton Holt at St James Westminster.

24th May 1831 Luke Flood Cutbush marries Mary Ann Mears at Tottenham.

15th November 1833 Matilda Cutbush baptised at St Mary Whitechapel. Parents Luke Flood Cutbush and Mary Ann.

18th April 1835 Clarissa Cutbush marries John Joseph Meek at st Andrew Enfield.

5th September 1837 Tom Flood Cutbush marries Sarah May at St Andrew Enfield.

16th August 1842 Tom Flood Cutbush marries Elizabeth Blake at St Andrew Enfield.

1843 Clarissa Cutbush, mother of Tom Flood, dies.

1845 June quarter Edward Cutbush marries Elizabeth Sarah Holmes at Lewisham.

1846 Tom Flood Cutbush dies.

29th June 1846 Eliza Cutbush born. Baptised 29th July at St Mary Lewisham. Parents Edward Cutbush and Eliza Sarah.

March quarter 1872 Luke Flood Cutbush dies at Richmond.

1890 September quarter Edward Cutbush dies aged 71 in Richmond.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3408
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is Edward in 1871. He’d been mistranscribed as Cusburby.

15 Ridgeway Place, Wimbledon

Edward Cutbush widower 51 Actuary of Westminster and General Life Office born St Mary Whitechapel

Eliza daughter unmarried 24 born Lewisham

Annie E daughter unmarried 22 born Lewisham

Elizabeth A Scarborough visitor widow 68 interest of money in funds born Surrey Christchurch

Rosa E Scarborough visitor unmarried 34 interest of money in funds born Surrey Christchurch

Martha Heywood servant unmarried 39 Cook born Farnley Yorks

Emily Warner servant unmarried 18 housemaid born Surrey Kingston

Here he is in 1881
Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Edward CUTBUSH
Head M Male 61 Whitechapel, Middlesex, England Actuary Westminster G L B (Acct)
Rosa E. CUTBUSH
Wife M Female 44 Blackfriars, Surrey, England Serv
Eliza CUTBUSH
Daur U Female 34 Lewisham, Kent, England
Rosalia CUTBUSH
Daur U Female 7 Barnes, Surrey, England
Jane DEAN
Serv U Female 31 Grenwich, Kent, England Cook Dc
Emily E. PERRY
Serv U Female 25 Enfield, Middlesex, England House D

Source Information:
Dwelling Heathside Richmond Rd
Census Place Barnes, Surrey, England
Family History Library Film 1341201

Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0848 / 98
Page Number 26

It looks as if he married the younger of the Scarborough visitors. I think he died in 1890. In 1891 Rosa is a widow.

I can only assume that Rosa's being listed as a servant in 1881 is a mistake.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is excellent, Robert... at last I will be able to get to grips with this fiddly family.
My best thanks for all your hard work in putting this together, it will provide a marvelous aid in future searches.

Now how did I just know - as I scrolled down through your last post - that Edward Cutbush was going to marry the much younger Rosa Scarborough?
Because she had money that's why!

It is him without a doubt as he is mentioned in a previous will as being an actuary for the Westminster & General company.
My thanks again.
Hopefully soon I might be able to post something about the 'Taylor' connection to all this.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And going back to Debra’s important post of November 3rd concerning the ‘Ancient Society of College Youths’ - which is indeed a bell ringing and everything clock fraternity - there are indeed a fair number of ‘Taylors’ to be counted in the ranks, including I’m pleased to say the very John Taylor (bell founder) who fell out with Lord Grimthorpe over design, and whose family was in intimate contact with the Mears family of Whitechapel Bell Foundry for over a hundred years, eventually marrying into the Mears family and gaining a foothold in the Whitechapel foundry.
I list the following:

1751 John Taylor, Middlesex
1761 William Taylor, Middlesex
1783 John Taylor, Bishopsgate Street
1783 James Taylor, Bishopsgate Street (obviously brothers)
(1801 Thomas Mears Junior, Founder, Whitechapel)
1830 John Taylor, Southwark
1830 Thomas Taylor, Southwark (obviously brothers)
1841 Thomas Taylor, Southwark (probably same individual)
1841 John Taylor, Founder, Loughborough.

As Robert might well guess, I am particularly drawn to the Thomas Taylor from Southwark who was a member of the Society at exactly the same time as John Taylor, Founder of Loughborough.
Thomas Taylor probably renewed his membership in the year 1841, which is why his name appears twice in the same honour roll.
I have a suspicion that this might well be the Thomas Taylor we seek.
The brothers in Bishopsgate Street also ring my bell.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3410
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, glad you found the list useful.

Re the bells, it would make sense if the Taylor family had a representative in London. But I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the Thomas Taylor we seek." This can't be TTC, as he wasn't born till 1844.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3411
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had hoped that this man might prove part of the story, from his Stratford birthplace :

6 Naulef Road Lambeth

Thomas Cutbush 36 Clerk out of employment born Stratford

Marian wife 32 born Newington

Alice daughter 10 born Lambeth

Charles son 8 born Newington

Household:
Thomas F. CUTBUSH
Head M Male 45 Stratford, Essex, England Traveller (Com)
Maria CUTBUSH
Wife M Female 42 Newington, Surrey, England
Thomas F. CUTBUSH
Son U Male 22 Newington, Surrey, England Clerk
Alice CUTBUSH
Daur U Female 21 Lambeth, Surrey, England N K

Source Information:
Dwelling 104 Faraday St
Census Place Newington, Surrey, England
Family History Library Film 1341124

Piece / Folio 0546 / 51
Page Number 30

1891 (mistranscribed as “Cutbirth”)

59 Rockingham St Newington

Thomas Fred Cutbush 55 traveller CT born Stratford

Marie wife age unclear born Walworth

Thomas son 32 single hop porter born Newington

Alice daughter single 30 born Kennington

Charles son single 28 hop porter born Walworth

77 Larcom St, St Mary Newington

Thomas F Cutbush widower 65 living on own means born Stratford

Thomas Cutbush son single 42 hop porter born Newington

However, the IGI gives a Thomas Frederick Cutbush for birth 1835 who has a Frederick Cutbush as father. I still think that Thomas Frederick Cutbush is connected, though.

The Thomas Cutbush who was absent from home in 1871 was apparently at school in Kent.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quite right, Robert.
I was attempting to put the second 'T' into the 'TTC', and link it to those pesky bell makers and ringers.
Which I think I probably did, but it may take a week or two to match it.
There must be a relationship in your last post but I toyed with these travellers and waifs some time ago and it just did my head in.
I'm going to study it all again though.
Incidentally I found the artistic Cutbush - on an Italian web-site of all places - and he is current with the LVP but try as I may I cannot dig any further.
He is Samuel Cutbush.

For me the search seems to imply a long term relationship between the Cutbush, Mears & Taylor families in the area of 'philosophical instruments' - particularly in regard to Horology - and this does seem to be reflected by the membership of the 'Ancient Society of College Youths'.
I do appreciate that you may not see it this way, but I also remember sitting here on my keyboard six months ago and trying to establish a tentative link between Lord Grimthorpe and Thomas Hayne Cutbush, and all I had was an obscure 18th century clockmaker called Cutbush from Maidstone... and then you find that Luke Flood Cutbush married two of Thomas Mears - the junior - daughters, lived next door to the Whitechapel Foundry owned by Thomas Mears, owned Thomas Hayne Cutbush's properties at 6 & 7 Fieldgate Street...
And, yes, I call this remarkable.
And I firmly believe the best is yet to come.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3412
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I very much hope that we can get that Taylor- Mears-Cutbush link. I think I'll nose around in the directories and see if there's anything there.

I'll try to find Samuel too.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3414
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, take a look at Chris's Ebaywatch thread.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3415
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No luck yet with the bells, but in checking 1881 Taylors for someone from Enfield old enough to have witnessed Clarissa’s will, I got the following possible hit. Again we have a mixture of money and plumbing.

Household Record 1881 British Census

Search results | Download
Previous Household
Next Household

Household:
James T. TAYLOR
Head W Male 68 Enfield, Middlesex, England Income From Houses
Fanny HASSYELL
Dau M Female 37 Enfield, Middlesex, England
Richard HASSYELL
Grandson U Male 17 Enfield, Middlesex, England Plumber
Florence A. HASSYELL
Grandau Female 5 St James, Middlesex, England Scholar

Source Information:
Dwelling 8 Gloucester Place Chase Side
Census Place Enfield, Middlesex, England
Family History Library Film 1341339

Piece / Folio 1393 / 9
Page Number 12

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3416
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The James Taylor mentioned above was a retired butcher in 1871. Maybe he inherited something.

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3417
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don’t know if this is any help :

Tayler, Gardiner & Co., Gunpowder-makers, 69, Broad-st.
Tayler Tho., Ironmonger, 30, King-street, Cheapside
Tayler & Toovey, Coach-makers, 33, Great Queen-street., Lincoln's-inn-fields
Taylor & Bailey, Ironmongers, 2, Little Tower-street
Taylor Rob., Linen-draper, 95, Borough
Taylor James, Card & Pasteboard Manufacturer, 73, Old-str.
Taylor James, Wire-drawer, 124, St. John's-str., Smithfield
Taylor James, Cutler & Silversmith, 121, Cheapside
Taylor Rob., Ship's Agent, 2, Great Tower-hill
Taylor & Thompson, Ship-builders, 106, Globe-stairs, Rotherhith
Taylor Tho., Attorney & Solicitor, 13, Old-street-road
Taylor Sam., Hatter & Hosier, 16, Holborn
Taylor Jasper, Oilman, 17, Ditto
Taylor Jasper, Silk Mercer, 38, Ditto
Taylor Nathan, Oilman, 85, Lower East Smithfield
Taylor Jos., Lime Mercht. & Wharfinger, Ditto
Taylor, Davey & Taylor, Druggists, 52, Little Britain
Taylor J. V. & Co., Corn-factors, 6, Great St. Helen's
Taylor James, Hat-maker & Hosier, 77, Aldersgate-street
Taylor Henry, Rope-maker, 16, Wapping
Taylor Peter, Block & Mast-maker, 286, Ditto
Taylor W., Gunpowder-maker, 6, Birchin-la., & 297 Ditto
Taylor & Son, Weavers & Mercers, 88, Little Tower-hill
Taylor Geo. & Co., Linen Warehouse, 88, Aldgate without
Taylor B., Clock & Watchmaker, 48, Lombard-street
Taylor Joseph, Paper-stainer, 85, Smithfield
Taylor Joseph, Tallow-chandler, 175, Bishopsgate without
Taylor Wm., Cork-cutter, 35, Little Eastcheap
Taylor Wm. & John, Merchts., 3, Church-row, Fenchurch-st.
Taylor Joseph, Wine Cooper, 9, Ditto
Taylor J., Coal Merchts., 40, Maddox-street
Taylor & Maxfield, Tea-dealers, 3, Broadway, Westminster
Taylor David & Co., Merchts., 26, Thavies-inn, Holborn

(from Kent’s directory London and Westminster and Southwark 1794)

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert
I’m investigating the whole pack of Taylors.
The following are all ‘philosophical’ instrument makers, mostly involved in ‘Horology’ - on that note I do wonder whether poor young Tom-Tom got confused and took up ‘Whorology’ rather than ‘Horology’? - taken from ’Webster’s Instrument Makers Database’.
Interesting that there is a whole nest of the varmints in ’The Minories’.
A women instrument maker is unusual, especially in that area of Whitechapel at that time.
More interesting is the three generations of Thomas Taylors all involved in the ancient trade. This seems a likely candidate for the Thomas Taylor we seek in the honour rolls from the Ancient Society of College Youths.
Enjoy:

TAYLOR England, NIM Sextant = PMS. 104 Minories, London. RSW.

TAYLOR, G. England, PHIM Stick Barometer = CMY. 108 Minories, London. RSW.

TAYLOR, GEORGE England, fl.1833-45, NIM author; see G. Taylor; E.G.R. Taylor thought that he was the husband or a close relative of Janet Taylor and that he succeeded her, however the dates are wrong for that possibility. 9 Fenchurch Street (1833); Navigation Warehouse, 103-4 The Minories, London. Taylor 2(2021); RSW.

TAYLOR, JOHN 1 England, c.1823, OIM succeeded Thomas Taylor 3. 17 Corner Hennings Road, London. Taylor 2(1722).

TAYLOR, MRS. JANET England, fl.1833-59, MIM NIM PHIM Octants = X (1840), Pannett Park Museum, Whitby, D.; Sextants = Allan Knight Maritime Museum, Monterey, Cal., Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, Pa., Soth. 11/16/87; Sympiesometer = Christie 5/5/83; Instruments = NMM, KEN. patented an improved instrument to measure angles and distances; Taylor describes herself as a retailer; author; those of her instruments which show an address list "104 Minories, London"; she also ran a Nautical Academy. 1 Fen Court, Fenchurch Street; 6 East Street, Red Lion Square; The Nautical Academy and Warehouse, 103-4 Minories; all in London. Taylor 2(2023); Coffeen II; Moskowitz 133; USNM; RSW.

TAYLOR, ROBERT 2 England, c.1769, MIM apprenticed to Richard Rust in the Grocers' Company on Jan. 18, 1758; free of the Company July 4, 1769; took one apprentice. Somerset Street, Whitechapel, London (1769). J. Brown 1.

TAYLOR, THOMAS 1 England, c.1692, MIM took John Eastland as an apprentice in 1692. London. Michel 3.
TAYLOR, THOMAS 2 England, c.1727, apprenticed to Edmund Blow in the Joiners' Company on Aug. 8, 1727. Crawforth 7.
TAYLOR, THOMAS 3 England, fl.1815-22, MIM OIM Sector = D.(1984). succeeded by John Taylor 1. 17 Corner Hennings Row, St. Martin's Lane, london. Taylor 2(1442); Coffeen F; RSW.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 273
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

I think that the reason that all these people were in The Minories, is that years ago this was a centre for the shipping industry, and all those people you mention seem to have been making navigational instruments.

Even today there is still a shop in Minories selling nautical publications, and many large shipping companies and marine lawyers still have offices close by in St. Mary Axe.

Regards
John Savage

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Indeed John
there was even a nautical school in Minories during the LVP where many a famous captain learnt his trade with the stars and compass.
The lady I mentioned in the earlier post, Janet Taylor, was a most extraordinary person who did indeed run this extraordinary school, and I'm now in touch with a great great great nephew of hers in - of all places - Port Macquarie in Australia. Her husband, one George Taylor, was a famous man for completely different reasons, he owned a very famous brewery, and managed to tie down the energetic Janet long enough to father eight children.
Given the bewildering nature of the massive Taylor family of Whitechapel during the LVP I believe it will be some time before one is able to establish a connection to the Cutbush/Mears clans.
Thanks for your help, John.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This may be the "Times" mention of 30 Whitechapel Rd that I was sure I had in my files smoewhere. Anyway, I don't think I've posted it before.

June 19th 1828

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that is a nice find, Robert.
A real gentleman's residence if you please, complete with your own brewhouse and then a water closet to evacuate the profits.
What gentlemen these Cutbush birds were!
I would pay a million pounds right now to sit down and have an hour in the 'excellent library, with many valuable and scarce works'.

Be warned Robert, my Taylor research is leading me from 'philosophical' instruments to brewing beer and then to your favourite tipple, tea, and then bless my soul to cocoa.
No Cutbush yet, but I'm sure he will be knocking on someone's door very soon with a clipboard in his hand and asking about tea or cocoa.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3424
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, a funny story I heard about tea : the great chess world champion Alexander Alekhine was once so engrossed in his game that he absent-mindedly put a white pawn in his tea instead of a sugar lump.

I did search the "Times" a while ago for Taylors, but it was needle in haystack stuff. Unfortunately I have no access to it, at the moment, but if and when I'm informed of anyone taking out a free trial, I'll have another bash.

I feel that with the Enfield connection, and the reference to James Taylor, there's a very real chance that the Thomas Cutbush who married Ann Taylor at Enfield in 1836 was Clarissa's grandson, the second son of Tom Flood. But until the lookup comes through, or I manage to get up London myself, it's a tantalising mystery.

In the meantime I intend to send off for some wills, including Luke Flood's.

Robert

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
I am not sure that you have mistranscribed the name "Cobb" as the name also appears in the newspaper article I posted to the this thread concerning Luke Flood Cutbush and Thomas Mear's will " Frederick Cobb M.D." is named as one of the petitioners, but I don't know how he fits the family.
Also named is Fasham Venables whose wife is named Matilda, I believe this is the daughter of Luke Flood Cutbush and Mary Ann Mears that you mentioned, as I found a marriage for a Matilda Cutbush and Fasham Venables for March quarter of 1859 at Lewisham, Fasham was a woollen merchant b in Whitechapel according to 1881 census, 13 years older than his wife, she was born c 1841.
I think you have done a great job unravelling all this so far.
regards
Debra

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and Ap
I have not seen you mention the dispute over Thomas Mears will , which seems to have been instigated by Luke Flood Cutbush, here on the boards, so I wondered if you had come across this report in The Times, it gives a few more Cutbush names and addresses.

The Times Tuesday Jun 18 1867

Thomas Mears will

Debra Arif
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert
I posted another URL too on this thread a while back, but it seems not to have appeared. It is an online family tree of the Mears family, including the Whitechapel foundry Mears:-

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=smears&id=I72170

There seems to be a lack of female members of the family included, hence no Luke F Cutbush , but there is an e mail address for the researcher who compiled the tree, maybe he can help you.
Debra

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.