Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Deeming's victims Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Deeming, Frederick » Deeming's victims « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I couldn't refuse this:

'World's Best Famous Graves to Visit
By Andrea Hill

8. The Grave of Emily Mather
What's Cool: The message inscribed on the grave
-----------------------------------------
A tall, white, solemn monument shrouded in plaster marks Emily Mather's (1864?) grave. The marker at the base makes a chilling statement: "To those who hereafter come reflecting upon this text of her sad ending: To warn her sex of their intending, for marrying in haste is depending on such a fate too late for amending." To what does this inscription refer? Here's a bit of historical trivia. Emily Mather was briefly the wife of Frederick Bailey Deeming, who was suspected of being none other than Jack the Ripper. Shortly after their wedding in England, they relocated to Australia where, that same year, she met her untimely death by his hand. Before Deeming's execution for her murder, he confessed to being Jack the Ripper.
Back to Famous Graves main page.'

Let that be a lesson to anyone who meets a TTC.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3309
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose when the vicar got to "till death do you part" Deeming muttered "I think I can manage that long."

Robert

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,

Deeming was a man who was ever active and prepared. He romanced a lady, Katie Rounsfell,
after killing Emily, pursuing her across Australia to Southern Cross. It turned out, as he was romancing her he was purchasing cement and tools for ultimately disposing of Miss Rounsfell. She eventually (to his dismay) would testify against him in his Melbourne trial.

Jeff

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3311
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff

It's weird that the Scotland Yard death mask of him doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the photo of him with moustache. The latter shows an apparently ferret-faced man, whereas the mask has him looking a bit like a Roman Emperor.

Robert

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,

I have noticed that, too. The mask seems to represent a stocky, heavy man. I think its lack of facial hair might be partly responsible.

Andy

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert and Andrew

One of the Illustrated Police News sketches shows Deeming cutting off his moustache with a piece of glass to disguise his appearance. As I said at the Liverpool convention, "Don't try this at home, folks!" It seems to me that either that terminated his hirsute appearance, or else he was shaved in prison before he was executed.

All the best

Chris pumpkin
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I have seen the illustration you refered to, and I know that he did shave his beard off with broken glass (when he appeared without the beard the next morning, he smiled with a sneer at his surprised guards). But I also have seen a drawing of him in the dock at Melbourne, probably delivering his ramshackled speech to the citizens in that city (in which he said they were the ugliest people on earth). In that picture it is obvious that nature was undoing his cleverness: Deeming's beard was growing back. Probably by that time he was no longer allowed the privacy he needed for another shave.

There is an odd point of comparison here: When Dr. Thomas Neill Cream was arrested in June 1892 (a few weeks after the hanging of Deeming), he was clean-shaven except for his moustache. His trial occurred in October, and he purposely grew a full beard to try to confuse witnesses. Like Deeming's attempt at shaving, the end result was failure. Both were convicted and hanged.

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.