Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Tumblety in Canada Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Tumblety, Francis » Tumblety in Canada « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An interesting article from a Canadian medical journal, re: the abortion case.
http://www.cbmh.ca/archive/00000262/
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Malta Joe
Sergeant
Username: Malta

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Kelly, that report painted a good picture of how complex the Montreal autumn of 1857 was for Tumblety. Even though I've read many of those remarks before, this was the first time that a comprehensive bibliography was provided for all those statements, so this was a real bonus.

I didn't know that Tumblety had questioned Dumas about her being Protestant or Catholic before he decided to sell her the vials that would procure a miscarriage. Tumblety only agreed to complete this transaction once he was assured that the fetus of a Protestant was to be aborted. I know this is very sensitive material, but that was the recorded testimony given to the Montreal Grand Jury. Still yet, this behavior was in accord with Tumblety's favoritism toward the Catholic Church. He had left $10,000 in his will to the Archbishop Ireland and the same amount to a Catholic Cardinal named Gibbons. Tumblety had aggressively paid homage in a Cincinnati cathedral once, and of course Tumblety was always sympathetic to the Fenian Brotherhood. So he was consistent about this. But don't ask me how he thought he was living up to a Catholic doctrine by inducing miscarriages. All in all, I thought it was an excellent find on your part, and I'm glad you posted it.

I'm not sure about the religious faith of the Whitechapel victims (if they had any at all.) I know the Miller's Court victim was given a Catholic burial, but I don't remember anything being significant about what their religion was. It's doubtful to me that Jack bothered to find out anyway.

Kelly Robinson
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kelly

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Malta. It's always good to find research done by someone without the same agenda we have, or at least looking in a different direction than we might be. I enjoyed having so much detail about a crucial moment in Dr. T's life.
-K
"The past isn't over. It isn't even past."
William Faulkner

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.