Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Netley details Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Suspects » Gull, Sir William Withey » Netley details « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Netley (1860 - 1903)
3 Amberley Road, Paddington, London
Head:
John Netley aged 69 born Sussex - Hackney Carriage driver
Widower
Son:
John Netley aged 40 born Paddington - Carman

3 Amberley Road, Paddington
Head:
John Netley aged 59 born Pulborough, Sussex - Cab Driver/ Groom
Widower
Children:
John C aged 30 born Paddington - Contractor's Carman
Margaret aged 21 born Paddington - Domestic cook
Alfred E aged 19 born Paddington - Cab driver/Groom
Agnes L aged 17 born Paddington - Housemaid

(The surname is transcribed in the index as Netter)
3 Amberley Road, London
Head:
John Netley aged 49 born Pulborough, Sussex - Master Cabman Domestic
Wife:
Mary A Netley aged 48 born Paddington
Children:
John C aged 20 - Railway Carman
Albert J aged 18 - Grocer's porter
Francis L aged 16 - Greengrocer's porter
Margaret L aged 11
Alfred E aged 9
Agnes L aged 7
All children listed as born in Paddington

(Surname transcribed in the index as Netbey)
99 Westbourne Park Road, Paddington, London
Head:
John Netley aged 39 born Pulborough, Sussex - Hackney carriage driver
Wife:
Mary A Netley aged 38 born Paddington
Children:
George A aged 13 - Errand boy
John C aged 10
Albert J aged 8
Francis L aged 6
Margaret E aged 1

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 503
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,do you know I often wondered if he was just "made up" Netley and now I can see for myself that he actually existed.Fantastic find!

Do you see Chris I am a "chief inspector"now, Wow!!!
See ya
Natalie

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie
Glad you found the info interesting but I cannot claim any credit for "finding" Netley- his existence has been known for some considerable time.
Now that I have access to the 1871 census I am trying to track various individuals through four successive census returns (1871-1901) to give as good a picture as the census can give fo their circumstances, locations, family relationships etc.
Congrats on your promotion by the way!!!
All the best
Chris

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thankyou Chris.What you are doing sounds really useful and has already given me a changing picture of McCarthy that has helped me to see a more rounded character than otherwise.Your research is so valuable.
Best Natalie

Angela Payne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 6:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Thanks for the information,I'm related to the Netley's of Pulborough. I always wondered if I was related to the John Netley of Jack the Ripper fame. It looks as if I am. Thank you

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two alleged attempts by Netley on the life of Alice Margaret Crook, one at "the height of the murders" and the second in February 1892. I am fairly sure that the first of these can be traced to an incident in early October, 1888. However, this report comes not from a news item but from a letter published by The Times:
9 October 1888

THE DUTIES OF THE POLICE
TO THE EDITOR OF THE TIMES

Sir,
The following incident in some way illustrates the manifold duties of the police.
On Sunday afternoon, close to the Albert gate, a little girl was run over by a hansom cab. The wheel passed over her body, and I think over her head. She got up and staggered a few paces, moaning pitifully. A policeman dashed at her and caught her up in his arms. He then jumped into the hansom, summarily ejecting the passenger, and was driven to St. George's Hospital.
I should think that the occurrence took only a quarter of a minute. The amazing promptitude of the constable and the tender way in which he laid the poor child's bleeding head on his breast seemed a strange commentary on the abuse which some people are pleased to levy at the police for their supposed "brutal conduct" on other occasions.
I am, Sir, your obedient servant,
T. Wentworth Grant.
6 Westbourne crescent, Hyde Park, W.
Oct. 8.

Ruben van Rooden
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The observer - 7th february 1892:
Shortly before one o'clock yesterday, attempted suicide from westminster pier. A respectably dressed young man took off his boots and coat and hid them under a seat in a waiting room, jumped of the pier and swam for a few yards. Rescued by Mr. Douglas, Pier master, but struggled. Taken to Westminster hospital. Gave name of Nickley, but refused his address

Does somebody has some more information of Netley?

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought he died when he was run over by his own coach. Seems to me that factoid was given at the very end of the Michael Caine movie.

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

Netley did die in an accident with his own coach, but not until 1903, the newspaper report that Ruben cites above has appeared in one or two books, but as far as I am aware, it has never been linked to John Netley with any certainty.

Rgds
John

Simon Owen
Inspector
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting the letter Chris , but now we have to ask why Netley was trying to kill Alice Crook in the first place...

Gareth W
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di,

The little factoid of Netley's alleged demise, as I'm sure you know, was given in Stephen Knight's novel - sorry - rigorously-researched treatise "JTR - The Final Solution" long before the Michael Caine film.

Does anybody know if John Netley actually *was* run over by the wheels of his own cab, or might that yet again be a distortion of the incident reported above? (Well done for finding that, Chris).

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 450
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Gareth,

According to Stephen Knight's book, the report of Netley's death comes from the Marylebone Mercury and West London Gazette of 26th. September 1903.

Unless anyone can prove this to be otherwise I think we may take it as true.

Rgds
John

tuffty
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'jack the ripper' fab film, though eh?
'my name is michael caine....not alot of people know that' or however it goes.
i would love to see a film made with the facts we KNOW about... which is very little.
set in the time, but with no finger pointing, just a recreation of what was documented.

my reason for this could just be to see judy dench as a prostitute, though.

'penny for it, guv'na?' oh she'd be fab.

(why judy dench? bbc drama has never made a programme without the woman! and who WOULDN'T want to see dame judy as a proz? come on... )

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.