Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Identification of victim October 1889 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Pinchin Street Murder » Identification of victim October 1889 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 354
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
During my browsing today I have found a press account from a Mexican, Spanish language paper called El Tiempo. The issue is dated 30 October 1889 and relates how the parents of the Pinchin Street victim came forward to the police and identified the victim as one Emily Barker.
I hope this is of interest.
Chris

Here is the original article:

barker

And here is a translation of the article:

El Tiempo
30 October 1889
(Translation)

Jack the Ripper

The parents of the young woman most recently murdered in London by Jack the Ripper have come forward to the police stating that the victim was named Emily Barker, from Northampton, and that they have no doubt that it was their daughter.
They said she was leading an unsettled life and that not long ago she was taken off the street, half naked, by an Anglican priest. She stayed with him a short while and a few days after she left his house the other Whitechapel crime occurred. The mother of the young woman says that, among other details, she recognized the most recent victim as her daughter because she had made the shirt that she was wearing and also by a mark that she had on one finger of the right hand. The Northampton police have collaborated with the London police to further their investigations and capture the mysterious killer.
On the 6th October, a letter was received at the Press Association, the envelope of which was inscribed in a different hand from the letter which was worded as follows:
"Dear Editor, I hope to continue my work on Tuesday or Wednesday; say nothing to the police. Jack the Ripper."
The signature was underlined in a different colour.

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another great find!

Its interesting that the US press named the Pinchin Street victim Lydia Hart, the Mexican press Emily Barker... I wonder if there will be any census information on Barkers in Northampton that might shed some light on this new name.

Also interesting is that this Spanish newspaper used the French "Jack l'eventreur" in one place and the Spanish "Jack el destripador" in another. Might indicate that this article (as was the case in one other Spanish article Chris recently posted) had its origins in Paris.
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stephen
I have looked in the 1881 census and there are 11 Emily Barkers listed in Northampton. Of course it is difficult to know in this context if the meaning was Northampton the town, or Northampton the county!
I will be posting census details asap
chris

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those of a remotely appropriate age in the 1881 census are listed below:

Emily Barker - NORTHAMPTON
1881 Census

1)Emily J Barker
Birth Year <1856> Birthplace Earls Barton, Northampton, England Age 25 Occupation Drapers Assistant Marital Status U <unmarried>
Dwelling 143 Wellingboro Rd Census Place Northampton St Giles, Northampton, England
2)Emily Barker
Birth Year <1862> Birthplace Chapel Hill, Lincoln, England Age 19 Occupation Marital Status U <unmarried>
Dwelling Fitters Arms Census Place Peterborough, Northampton, England
3) Emily Barker
Birth Year <1870> Birthplace Northampton, England Age 11 Occupation Scholar Marital Status
Dwelling 102 Market St Census Place Northampton St Giles, Northampton, England
4) Emily Barker
Birth Year <1855> Birthplace Badminton, Gloucester, England Age 26 Occupation Marital Status M <married>
Dwelling School House Census Place Chalcombe, Northampton, England
5) Emily J Barker
Birth Year <1861> Birthplace Northampton, England Age 20 Occupation Shoe Machinist Marital Status U <Unmarried
Dwelling 67 Grove Road Census Place Northampton Priory St Andrew, Northampton, England
6) Emily Barker
Birth Year <1849> Birthplace Moulton, Northampton, England Age 32 Occupation Scholar Marital Status M <married>
Dwelling Kingsley Gds Census Place Kingsthorpe, Northampton, England
7) Emily Barker
Birth Year <1861> Birthplace Mears Ashby, Northampton, England Age 20 Occupation Servant Dom Marital Status U <unmarried>
Dwelling 3 Finedon Road Census Place Wellingborough, Northampton, England
8) Emily Barker
Birth Year <1868> Birthplace Gt Houghton, Northampton, England Age 13 Occupation No Ocupation Marital Status U <unmarried>
Dwelling Cherry Row Private House Census Place Great Houghton, Northampton, England

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the sake of accuracy I should point out that there are entries on the 1881 census also under the name of Amelia Barker which would be rendered the same in Spanish as Emily
Chris

Gary Alan Weatherhead
Inspector
Username: Garyw

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

We now know the potential names of two of the Torso Killer's victims. Amazing. I thought no-one beyond Ms. Jackson would ever be identified.

Best
Gary

Melissa Foreman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Am I the only one who thinks that the Torso Victim's could be related to Jack. If modern psychology of serial killers have taught us anything it is that there is a path that these killers follow. JTR had already had experience with dismembering victims. Mary Kelly's arm was removed from the body. JTR also had shown his interest in taking body parts with him. Why is it such a leap to go from one to the other. I think it is a safe guess that unless JTR was killed or imprisoned he would have continued with his killing and it only would have become more savage. That is saying alot since Kelly was bad even by today's standard. This is just a thought. I wanted to throw it out there and see if any one else might have some input.

Andrew Spallek
Detective Sergeant
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I mentioned in another thread, the torso's gravesite is known. It was preserved in spirits and buried in a sealed container at East London Cemetery.

Andy

Jon Smyth
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jon

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which makes me wonder if any of the other three 'Torso' victims were deposited in like manner.
- Pinchin, Sept 1889. (unknown)
- Battersea Park, June 1889. (Elizabeth Jackson?)
- Whitehall, Sept/Oct 1888. (unknown)
- Rainham, May/June/July 1887. (Cross?)

A total of four 'Torso' victims between mid 1887 and the fall of 1889.
In response to Melissa, I believe opinion has it that the 'Torso' killer is suggested to have hidden his 'work' as compared to 'Jack' who displayed his.
Also, I believe a couple of the 'Torso' victims appeared to be from a different social class than the Ripper victims.

But, are those points valid?, I am intrigued by the fact(?) that the abdomen appears to be a focal point & in many cases its the uterus, and both these series have the appearance of being 'medical crimes', but to what extent we may never know.

Regards, Jon

Melissa Foreman
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always had a hard time believing that the JTR crimes are sexual in nature. I think the sexual aspect came into play only because his victims were prostitutes. The lack of any semen is very telling. I feel JTR was a man very obsessed with the workings of the human body (possibly a mortician). If at any point Jack felt that he was close to being figured out it stands to reason that he would change his MO at least a little to avoid being caught.

Wraithsr
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am new to the story of JTR. I recently read the book by Patricia Cornwell. And though I found it interesting. I do not agree with some of her arguments. I do find it interesting that she states, that to a psychopathic killer, it is the fantasizing of a deed, before and after, moreso than the actual committing of the deed. Therefore I feel that it was sexual in nature, and was committed by JTR. A serial killer can not just stop in my opinion. Once he kills, he must keep feeding his fantasy. Until caught or dead himself. But, as far as MO. He would change it, if he really feared getting caught AT TIMES.I think that JTR became bored with the Media attention, and feared being caught, he was very intelligent !

Andrew Spallek
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some further information on the gravesite of the Pinchin Street torso. To review, the torso was buried on 5 October, 1889 in the East London Cemetery (grave no. 16185). The remains were sealied in a tin container and preserved in spirits. The tin container was then enclosed in a black wooden box.

A very helpful lady at the East London Cemetery has confirmed to me that an unidentified female, aged approx. 35, was buried in grave no. 16185-45sq, received from the St. George Mortuary. Unfortuantely, my fears came true when she informed me that this public grave has been re-used and is not longer extant. I would suppose that the remians are still there somewhere, but must be completely inaccessible.

Andy

Lisa Jane
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting stuff Andrew, I wonder if a state of the art metal detector giving a strong reading (which would not be the case for brass fittings etc on a coffin) would indicate a tin cannister? My father's one has settings so that you differentiate the types of metal you want to detect and concentrate the detection area. Not that the cemetary staff would appreciate any of us lot traipsing around there with our metal detectors (let alone fork & shovel!!!

Andrew Spallek
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa,

I have followed up my original enquiry with a query as to how public graves were re-used, i.e. were newer remains merely buried on top of older remains or was there any attemt to exhume and re-bury old remains? I expect that I will get some reply. Another question I asked was what now exists in the area of this (former) public grave?

I doubt that a standard metal detector would detect even a large tin container buried that deeply. Something like ground sonar might, however. The echo of such a tin container would be quite unique in a cemerery. The question would be whether there are now private graves on that sight -- in which case any such search would be futile since relatives would certainly not grant permission to dig through the graves of their loved ones to access the torso remains.

Andy

Andrew Spallek
Inspector

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My contact at the East London Cemetery has indicated that there are now more recent public graves on the site of grave 16185, in which the Pinchin Street Torso was buried. I would surmise that it would be exceedingly difficult to get at those remains -- yet if it might be possible to get an indentification using DNA, it just might be done. But this would be a very complicated and costly procedure -- and to what practical avail?

Andy

Annie Caroline Boogaerdts
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with melissa, this has to be somehow the work of the ripper, combining the way he murdered his other victims and mary kelly... it's not a coincidence that other torso murders have been commitedand stopped as strangly as the classical JTR murders.
the MO is different, but somehow o so similar (as for the mutilations of the corpses, e.g)

M.Mc.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 9:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Other killers have changed their M.O. at times. So why not Jack the Ripper? Look at the Zodiac Killer, his target changed from couples to a taxi driver. He also dressed up in an outfit once. Both the Ripper and Zodiac cases have letters. Hoaxes or not the letters came for years. There is a a few things from both cases that mirror each other. Like the fact that both were never caught. However in the case of the Ripper he only killed women. There is no telling how many victims the Ripper had, I doubt he stopped with Mary Kelly. I also think Zodiac killed more people than the police thought he did too.

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Portions of these illustrations have been seen before, but not full view.

'The Illustrated Police News'
Saturday 21 September 1889

These are blown up sections which hopefully are clearer to look at.

Rob

Catherine Ann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course one can always believe that there was some sort of cover up operation going on. The ripper style murders necessary in order to draw attention away from the torso victims. Might've been some weird sect going around or more probably just the work of one man. I've often found it hard to believe that Jack only killed five, I'm sure he killed many more unless he died after killing Mary Jane Kelly or he had simply achieved what he wanted to do. Reached his climax so had to come down a little. But of course ripper style murders happened also in places like America so he could've just travelled after Kelly and continued his butchery elsewhere.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.