Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Has the murder of Jackson been connec... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Elizabeth Jackson » Has the murder of Jackson been connected to the Whitehall and Pinchin St. Murders? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sturla K. N. Johansen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where can I find more information about the murder of Elizabeth Jackson?

Has the murder of Elizabeth Jackson ever been set in connection with the Whitehall Mystery and Pinchin St. Murder?

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Sturla:

The murder of Elizabeth Jackson is discussed by R. Michael Gordon in the recent The Thames Torso Murders (McFarland & Co., Publishers, 2003). In this book, the author links together all of the torso series including the Jackson murder, the Whitehall mystery, and the Pinchin Street torso. The author believes Severin Klosowski (George Chapman) may have been responsible for these crimes as well as the Ripper murders. I reviewed this book in the most recent (April/July 2003) issue of Ripper Notes, pp. 50-52. Someone might correct me on this, but I believe Jackson was the only one of victims whose body in the torso series was definitively identified, although not all parts of her body were recovered, including the head. Identification was made possible because of scars on her wrists. She was pregnant when murdered.

Best regards

Chris George

Jennifer D. Pegg
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi everyone
i thought it was widely regarded that these torso murders were a series of crimes hence remembering seeing phrases similar to the following
the torso murders were really the first serial killing
the torso murders ran along side the ripper murders
the torsos were just as grusome as the whitechapel murders
were the ripper and the torso murderer competing
etc etc
jp

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many torso murders were there total?

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 1:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Eric:

In R. Michael Gordon's book, remembering of course that he is counting torso crimes that would fit with the window of opportunity available to his suspect, Severin Klosowski (George Chapman), he counts five women whom he classes as victims of the "Thames Torso Murderer" in 1887 through 1902, before Chapman had his date with the hangman as a convicted poisoner.

Best regards

Chris George

Martin Fido
Sergeant
Username: Fido

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Jackson definitively identified? I am only aware of a New York Times report saying that hers was the body in the Thames. But perhaps somebody has gone further and found a death certificate.
All the best,
Martin F

Bruce Tonnermann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The remains were positively identified as those of Elizabeth Jackson, by family and friends, by means of general description, a scar on the wrist, advanced pregnancy and the clothing.

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Martin,
I saw you in the episode Biography did in the mid 90s on JTR. I like your way of recounting the murders. Very stylish. :-) I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the torso murders being a second serial killer. We have a discussion in the Whitehall mystery board going that I'd like you to join.

David Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the 1902 torso murder, I assume this was the crime discovered in Salamanca Place, Lambeth, in the summer of that year? The author Elliott O'Donnell mentions it in his book 'Haunted Britain', published in 1948. He writes: It was said in the neighbourhood that people passing near the spot at night were terrified at hearing dreadful cries and groans, and seeing the headless figure of a woman rise from the ground and walk for some distance by their side.

Elizabeth
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's scary... that's my name...and a topic that I find very fascinating. I'd like to learn more. What all do you guys know?

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 722
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

In Chapter 27 of Patricia Cornwell's Ripper book she refers to "dismembered female remains" found in London in "June 1889". This sounds very much like Jackson except she says the victim was "never identified". Was there another murder at the same time or is she mistaken when she says the victim was never identified? My copy of this work is at least the second edition so if it is Jackson one would think this would have been corrected by now, that is, if it's a mistake.

Goodies,

Stan

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stan,

Of course she didn't correct numerous other mistakes that had already been pointed out to her, so I don't think that this one would have necessarily been corrected even if she was paying attention enough to know this one was also wrong.

We should make a master list of all the mistakes in her book and put it online for easy reference. It'd make it easier for her new readers and members of the press to easily access this info.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,

i like that idea.

then again - you know how i am with these things!

Jenni
"Keep a diary, and someday it'll keep you."

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.