Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Envelope found in 29 Hanbury Street Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Annie Chapman » Envelope found in 29 Hanbury Street « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

dlmaugie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently read a article about the envelope found at the murder site of Annie Chapman. There seems to be a mystery about where the envelope was found and the writing.The article was trying to explain the "M" that was found on the letter.
The article mention a few posssibities as for the "M", such as a street name or person(Maybrick). I think a more logical explaination is that it read the word Medicine.As the pills where taken she tore it into a smaller pieces.
I would appreciate any reply from anyone that is interested in this aspect of the case.
Dave

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Detective Sergeant
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you know, Dave, that's the first time I've seen that suggestion and you might just be right. Although Annie would have to have written it herself when she picked up the envelope earlier (she used it, if I remember correctly, when the pill box fell apart).

My own feeling is the M is part of the address and was already on the envelope when she took it. What is certain, in my opinion, the M is not for Maybrick as it would be rather unusual to put just a surname on an envelope without an initial or title. The M could be for Mr, Mrs or Miss.

Cheers, Mark

Caroline Anne Morris
Sergeant
Username: Caz

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I'm not sure it has ever been seriously suggested that the name Maybrick was actually on the envelope. I think the most one can say is that the diary author was suggesting that the killer saw the M on the envelope (by far the most common first letter on any envelope, as Mark notes) and saw the opportunity for an unfunny little private joke about a clue left for a clueless force, ie Clever Jim even left them the whores M as a coincidental clue to his own identity, but the fools didn't appreciate the subtlety of it. Oh what a joke.

Love,

Caz

Christopher T George
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Dave:

The piece of paper was definitely a part of an envelope with the crest of the Royal Sussex Regiment on the back of it. There are two articles in the March issue of Ripperologist on this matter. The idea that the "M" could have been either "Medicine" or "Maybrick" can't be taken seriously, I believe. It is more probable that it was, as Mark suggests, an "M" for Mr, Mrs or Miss. Also an "S" appears to have stood for "Spitalfields" where Crossingham's lodging house was located where Annie picked up the piece of paper to hold her pills. Also countering the idea that "M" could have stood for either "Medicine" or "Maybrick" or indeed had anything to do with the case, it seems apparent that Annie picked up the paper at random so those initials were not the clue at first thought.

Best regards

Chris George

Neil K. MacMillan
Police Constable
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, Caz and all: Good to see your words on the boards. I have to agree that the "M" is probably a title rather than a name or even medicine although it may be a first initial.
The envelope in my humble opinion, is evidence only of what "Dark Annie" was carrying when she was so brutally murdered. I have my doubts that Maybrick was our boy (And yes, at the risk of being considerd politically incorrect, I believe "Saucy Jacky" was a man.) That she used it for medicine is known. It is also known that she suffered from tuburculosis and quite possibly from syphillis So the medicine could have been a paltive for the T.B. or a mercury patent for treating the syphillis. Either was the girl was living on borrowed time. Have a lovely night. Neil\clipart{beer}

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.