Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

"Mary Ann Kelly" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Catherine Eddowes » "Mary Ann Kelly" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David O'Flaherty
Police Constable
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've seen on one of the other threads that this was actually the name of John Kelly's ex-wife. This is the first I've ever heard mention of John Kelly's past; can someone point out the source to me? I've looked in the inquests and old message boards, but my searches yield results for MJK and Mary Ann Nichols. This is a subject I'd like to read further about.

Thanks,
Dave
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David O'Flaherty
Sergeant
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ripperana, no. 12 has the answer to my question. In a piece on pages 15-16, Mark King writes that John and Mary Ann Kelly were still married and living at 3 Paternoster Row, Dorset Street in 1881.

Mark King references:

"1881 Census Return. John Kelly, 38, Dock Labourer, born Spitalfields. Mary Ann Kelly, 38, wife, Charwoman, born Whitechapel. Both resident at 3 Little Paternoster Row, Spitalfields."

What's really interesting to me is that a Mary Ann Kelly died of "haemorrhage from the lungs" in 1888, at 55 Flower and Dean Street! If she was John Kelly's Mary Ann, I wonder how she and Catherine Eddowes got along.

Mark King references:

"Death Certificate. Mary Ann Kelly, 15 May, 1888, 55 Flower and Dean Street, Spitalfields, aged 42. Occupation-Chair Caner. Sudden death. Haemorrhage from the lungs. Natural causes. Inquest held 17 May 1888."

Did Mark King or anyone else follow up on Mary Ann Kelly's death inquest? It seems reasonable that John Kelly would've testified, and possibly even Kate Eddowes.

It's not related to the later murder of Eddowes, but I think any light shed on the lives of contemporaries is interesting and important. This will be old news (but maybe forgotten?) to many, but it's all new to me, and I've never read any discussions about it.

Cheers,
Dave

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.