Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Archive through July 31, 2004 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Martha Tabram » Martha Tabram Murder » Archive through July 31, 2004 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frank van Oploo
Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I know I’m a little late, the last discussion has already ended, but I had (still have) internet problems. Anyway, here a the two cents I have been wanting to contribute for a while, but never seem to have come ‘round to.

There are perhaps as many as 20 similarities between the murder of Martha Tabram and those of Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly. However, like most of you have rightly said, not all of them are significant.

These are the similarities I think are significant.

· Absence of an obvious motive.

· Silence: if it were an escalated ‘argument’ with an intoxicated customer I would have expected some noise, like a term of abuse being yelled, a cry for help or a scuffle. But no one heard a thing. Like in the other cases the attack on Martha Tabram seems to have been so unexpected and efficient that she wasn’t able to cry out or put up a struggle.

· Timing of the knife work: the killer most probably did most, if not all of his knife work after his victim lay on her back, senseless.

· Location: as I don’t think that Whitechapel and Spitalfields were London’s only poor and rough neighbourhoods inhabited by prostitutes (Bethnal Green, Mile End and Stepney for instance were too, I believe), it stands out that Tabram was not simply killed in the area where the Ripper did all of his killings, she was killed in the very heart of it.

· Timing: Tabram was killed only 3 weeks before the first certain Ripper victim, Nichols.

· MO: Jack the Ripper laid his victims on their backs, pulled up their skirts and spread their legs more or less, enabling him to mutilate the abdomen in the easiest way and so these actions could be considered part of his MO. Martha was found lying on her back with her legs open and her skirts thrown up, exposing the lower part of the body. Although she wasn’t mutilated, Martha had suffered at least 13 stab wounds and one cut to the lower part of her body. Perhaps, like Monty suggested, the killer was disturbed before he could do anything more.

· Throat wounds: although I don’t know if it can really be called a similarity, something that strikes me as important is the fact that, albeit not slit, the throat was attacked. In fact, Martha was stabbed 9 times in her throat. That is little under 25% of the total of 39 stab wounds in a relatively small part of the body. Although the other stabs do, to me the stabs to the throat don’t seem like random stabbing, it rather seems like Martha’s killer was purposely stabbing her there.

If Martha Tabram wasn’t killed by the Ripper, then it must have been another troubled mind, most probably not a local, as I would otherwise have expected more and similar knife attacks to have taken place in the same area.

All the best,
Frank

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 968
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi dg cornelius!
regarding the surgical skills of JtR my objections to him having little or no surgical skills are
-the speed of his "work" in a dark corner of Mitre square in particular[probably 10-15 mins].
-the fact that he was able to do intricate marks on her eyelids as well as quickly extract her kidney which in humans lies underneath tissue which can make it difficult to locate by someone totally unpractised in human anatomy/sugery/post-mortems.presumably he felt for this as he wouldnt have had a"clear view" without spotlight or daylight to make such a clean sweep of it as he did as well with some of the other victims.Animals have a different body shape.If they were the same to operate on surgically then why does a vet nowadays require 7 years training and a human surgeon the same but in qute different training institutions? A butcher may have rapid cutting and segmenting skills for animals[in daylight]but that doesnt mean he can rapidly translate such cutting up to humans in such different conditions whereas a surgeon or person with a thorough knowledge of human anatomy
might manage the type of mutilation found on Catherine Eddowes in my [humble]opinion!
With regards to my photo I took it very quickly without thought to composition and so there are those stray wires everywhere.OK and I will maybe replace it over the holidays when I have more time if its so scary!
but thanks anyway for sugaring the pill with your kind compliment!
Cheers Natalie

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 969
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank,point by point I do agree with you.Really clearly explained-thanks!
Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Frank,

Just some comments to your post:

· Absence of an obvious motive.
True. However, this is not singular. I would think the Ripper wasn't the only one capable of performing murders without a motive.

· Silence:
OK. This is probably the best argument on your list. I can agree to a certain point here.

· Timing of the knife work:
True again.
Still, once again, to strangle someone prior to stabbing or cutting a person is very common in sexual murder crimes. Once again, I don't believe the Ripper to be the only one in Whitechapel being capable of doing these things.

Means nothing. I am actually surprised more things like these didn't happen in this area. A district marked by poverty and unemployment would most certainly be a logical environment for these kinds of deeds.

· Timing:
To me this could be nothing but pure coincidence. As I see it, it is actually possible that the media coverage surrounding the Tabram murder could have influenced and triggered the Ripper to do his work.

· MO:
I don't agree. This is probably the best argument against it being a Ripper work.
The victim lying on her back with the lower part of her clothes dissarranged, is probably the most common feature in all murder cases with sexual implications. And not just in serial killing. So that means nothing.
Apart from this point, there is absolutely nothing in the MO that would suggest that the Ripper was responsible for it. Stabbing is not the same as ripping someone up. I totally disagree on that the stabbing seems deliberately made and not frenzied and uncontrolled; apart from the fact that the stabbing was concentrated to the lower torso, they do seem frenzied and lacing of a clear MO to me.

· Throat wounds:
Again not at all consistent with the Ripper's approach. fact remains that there WAS NO throat cut. Stab wounds in the throat area is not the same. The fact that there are stab wounds on so many parts of the body is quite consistent with a frenzied and uncontrolled attack. The Ripper was quite consistent in all of his canonical work as far as the throat cutting is concerned.

Let me retort with other points to ponder.

1. The important part of the Riper's conduct lay in the signature (mutilations and taking of the organs). In Martha Tabram's case there is no signature, apart from the dissarranged clothes (which doesen't necessarily HAVE to be a deliberate signature, but rather a result of a sexual assault).

2. We already know of several other rather singular killings of prostitutes in the same district/area and during the same time period, that probably not was the Ripper's work.
So on grounds of the timing and location, there is absolutely no reason to assume that the Ripper should be responsible for all sexual related murder crimes in probably the one of the most poverty-stricken and violent areas of London at the time.

All the best
Glenn Gustaf Lauritz Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie:
I don't hold that JtR was a vet. On the other hand, as I pointed out, he could have been a ships's surgeon, an army hosptial steward or even a mortician.
DG, the record is closer to 30 second to amputate a major limb and even this did not require the skills normally accepted as required. During Our (U.S.) Civil War,the idea was to get them off the table as quickly as possible and let the army hospitals worry about the rest of it. I actually knw people who give lectures on combat surgery during the Civil War and asked them this question when I was starting to research the novel How much skill would be needed to find a kidney or uterus by Jack the ripper. and the consensus was if the perpetrator was not worried about the "patient" surviving,a basic anatomy course such as a nurse or hospital orderly in a combat field hospital might have recieved would suffice.Usually this information ws recieved on the job as it were. While I use a doctor as my suspect, I lean towards a ship's surgeon or Army medical steward as the actual suspect although Dr. Francis Tumblety might well be a prime candidate as I believe he never actually attended medical school. Also during the Civil War, Anesthesia was used. Normally it was chloroform but to a lesser degree ether was used and in extreme circumstances brandy. By the Civil War, ether was frowned upon as it tended to make patients nauseous and some actually suffocated while having the drug administered. Kindest regards, Neil PS- keep in mind these are mostly opinions.

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot for this information Neil.I would not be at all surprised about any of the medical ideas you ponder on-the Docks were close to Whitechapel,so is the Tower where soldiers were billeted as well as their medical stewards presumably and most telling of all in my opinion the Royal London Hospital can be seen quite clearly just a 100 or so yards away from the site of Polly Nichols murder.
Thanks for the info Natalie

Glenn,also very salient points thanks.

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think most definatley the Ripper had to start somewhere, but where?, maybe he didn't start with Martha Tabram (although it would be possible), he could have started on dissecting animals (as other serial killers have...Peter Kurten springs to mind), or could the Ripper have started on dead bodies? Tabran had left with a soldier, a private, it had been stated, Dick Austin was a private (not at wellington Barracks though, but at the Cavalry Barracks) maybe these two soldiers were Richard Austin & James Oliver, could be reason for Mr Oliver to believe that Mr Austin was the Ripper. Or did Mr Oliver just have some personal reason to accuse Austin of being Jack the Ripper? It was said that Martha's wounds had also cut through to the chestbone, the doctor who had examined her body had said that she was around 36yrs old, other statements say that she was about 39-40yrs, i found in the census of Whitechapel Union Workhouse 1881 a Martha Tabran aged 30 a flower hawker born in Surrey, she had 2 son's Frederick Tabran aged 8yrs born Surrey & Charles Tabran aged 7yrs Born Surrey. Is this the same Martha Tabran? Also the census said she was married but her husband wasn't with her, it was down on a statement that her husband Henry Samuel Tabran had been separated from her for the past 13 years, due to the fact that she had been involved with a carpenter by the name of William Turner. I've yet to do some research on Austin & Oliver and will let you know of the research when i have it.

Matt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Frank has summed up nicely exactly what I would have liked to say. That the similarities in the killing are more significant than the differences.

It is difficult to think that anyone who would stab a woman 39 times was little more than an unhappy client. Think about it, or even stab your hand forward 39 times, it’s actually quite an effort, not something you would do lightly, not even in a vicious murderous temper. To inflict that many wounds deliberately takes a certain type of killer. The type of killer who enjoys it. The type of killer who would do it again. However, if Martha’s killer wasn’t Jack, then he appears not to have struck again. This is even stranger when you couple it with the attack in Whites Row upon Annie Millwood, which in my opinion was almost certainly by the same assailant who later attacked Martha.

I have always found the location of the attack upon Polly Nichols problematic. If we are to believe that Polly was the Rippers first fully murderous attack, then it seems to have fallen a long way to the east of his comfort zone. Often (and I don’t want to get too far in to the realms of profiling) killers of this type will commit their first attack practically upon their own doorstep, in an area where they feel entirely comfortable. Therefore, if this were the case you would expect that further murders would gravitate out from Bucks Row with some possible even further east. But they don’t, in fact the epicentre shifts west to Commercial Street. If you include Whites Row and George Yard in the pattern of attacks, suddenly there is a much clearer and believable pattern. I know this argument is a bit like putting the horse before the cart, but if you look at a map with these attacks included it just seems to make more sense.

I also find it hard to believe that an area as small as this could be unlucky enough to have two of the worlds first recognised psychosexual killers stalking its streets.

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matt;
The problem is that they weren't recognized as such. If a customer killed Tabram she may have been his first and indeed only killing the killer's rage could have been fuelled by alcohol or even opiates which were widely avalable and legal. Keep in mind we are talking about a densely populated area and if one or both of our killers is a sailor, he could be in and out often enough to divert suspicion.
The Milwood killing may be the key if Tabram's killer is not Jack the ripper. AFter considerable thought on Tabram's killer, I would look for a Royal Marine. He would have the access to the same or similar weaponry that a soldier would have, would be confused by most people with a soldier and would not have been found by police canvassing an army barracks. (See my comments above concerning ship's surgeons and crews and their rudimentary medical expertise) Kindest regards, Neil

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley,Did Oliver SAY he was with Austin and Martha and Pearly Poll?I"d be glad to know where it states that he points an accusing finger at Dick Austin.....most interesting this.Look forward to hearing more of your research.
Best Wishes Natalie

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Matt and Neil,I think that the 39 stab wounds point to someone who was a maniacal killer.Maybe this killing led to blood lust.I"m sure such a killer would have sruck again.
However if Martha"s killer wasnt JtR then Whitechapel certainly was unusually endowed
After all George Chapman was preparing his way to serial kill his wives and girl friends by poisoning and his barbers shop was reputed to be in Georges Yard[-a couple of years later admitedly]
Natalie

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Query in addenda to my last post. Were the Royal Marines billeted ashore in the whitechapel area or did the ship's marine detachment stay aboard as they do on American naval vessels and would it be possible to account for any missing marines on the night of Tabram's murder. it could eliminate her as a victim or at least give us a better understanding of the evening's "festivities". Neil

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie, thanks for your post...i'll be sure to check any police records concerning Austin & Oliver as well as military and anything else i can get hold of. I don't know anything about these 2 soldiers, only what was posted on the forum...But they both look interesting characters and i can hardly wait to get to the bottom of it, so to speak. Also i'd like to brush up on doctor's records and see if i can find how deep a cut on the breastbone/chestbone Tabran had, as i'm pretty sure that the spine is possible to cut through a little easier (depending on the position/angle), due to soft cartilage in between, i'm not a doctor so i'll have to see where a little research will take me on this train of thought. As for Tabran, pearly poll,Austin & Oliver it was just a flash of thought,don't know anything for sure as of yet, anyway you've been helpful.Cheers ,Shelley.

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie, thanks for your post...i'll be sure to check any police records concerning Austin & Oliver as well as military and anything else i can get hold of. I don't know anything about these 2 soldiers, only what was posted on the forum...But they both look interesting characters and i can hardly wait to get to the bottom of it, so to speak. Also i'd like to brush up on doctor's records and see if i can find how deep a cut on the breastbone/chestbone Tabran had, as i'm pretty sure that the spine is possible to cut through a little easier (depending on the position/angle), due to soft cartilage in between, i'm not a doctor so i'll have to see where a little research will take me on this train of thought. As for Tabran, pearly poll,Austin & Oliver it was just a flash of thought,don't know anything for sure as of yet, anyway you've been helpful.Cheers ,Shelley.

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just another thought again...what if Martha Tabran had a weapon on her person, and she threatend the soldier with it , in an attempt to rob him? and this could be why 2 different weapons were used on her,the soldier attacking her with her own weapon as well as his own...Any thoughts from anyone on this theory?

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd still like to continue with my research...However, just thinking about Tabran, in the doctor's report he said that 2 different weapons were used to inflict the wounds, 1 weapon he thought was a dagger. A serial killer will always use the same weapon (not 2 different ones), also Tabran's throat wasn't cut, the killer had not attempted to cut the throat. Even though the attack was extremely vicious, it doesn't appear to be a meditated murder of a serial killer, but one that was done in the heat of the moment. Just a bit of info : some women that have been in a bad relationship (ie victim of a wife beater), or indeed the abuse that prostitutes do sometimes undergo, the prostitute/victim of domestic abuse can actually turn out to be violent herself, i wonder if Martha Tabran did anything to upset the soldier,then the soldier snapped and launched a vicious attack. Soldiers are quick to kill,but i'll wager the killing of Martha Tabran took more time, than say Catherine Eddowes,not forgetting she was cut open from the private parts area right through to above the breast area and also her kidney had been removed.

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelly;
If you'll ponder for a second. You state that soldiers are quick to kill. I dispute that. Soldiers are trained to kill. There is a huge difference. I am currently researching a theory that Tabrams last known customer might have been a Marine. More on that as I delve deeper.
As I have stated, I believe only one weapon was used and that the wound to the sternum was the last one. The difference in the wounds is easily accounted for if the killer had to work the knife back and forth, wiggle it as it were, to retrieve it from the wound. Let's face it, stabbing through bone is much more difficult than soft tissue and I believe the wound pattern would reflect that. Even today tracing a knife wound unless the knife is damaged or recovered isn't always a guarentee. Without a weapon back then it would be impossible to say and a doctor could reasonably assume two weapons were used when in fact only one was.
The only thing I could think that Tabram could do to enrage her customer was to refuse him sex. If the soldier or the killer (I'm still not entirely convinced it was a military person) only wanted sex all he had to do was knock her about and take his money back. She wasn't about to queer a sell by aggrivating the customer in my opinion. She need the money to rent a bed in a doss house.
If Tabram is not a victim of "Saucy Jack" than I submit that there were indeed two Psychotic killers loose in Whitechapel. I have not investigated this line but I am delving into Tabram a little closer than I had originally intended.
Keep in mind that the estimated time of death was between 0200 and 0415 hours (2:00-415am) and that the soldier was seen with Tabram at 2345 (11:45pm) That is a time gap of 3hours fifteen minutes at a minimum. If the time of death is reasonable then why did he take three hours? In a semi open place like George Yard I don't think he would. I surmise that Martha was looking for another customer and met with her killer and that the soldiers are interesting characters but not our killer or killers.
One last note. I would also surmise that a sex deal gone wrong would have been far noisier that Tabram's murder was. She ran afoul of a psycho who actually knew how to use a knife. Kindest regards, Neil

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley,
.the murder seems to have been committed in total silence-so an "arguement of the type you suggest is unlikely.
.the 39 stab wounds would have taken a lot of strength/perseverence compared with a "normal" murder.The horrific injuries shocked the police force of the time and was the reason why they considered her to be a ripper victim.
Yes Whitechapel may have had more than a fair share of killings though statistics show this NOT to be the case compared with other working class/poor districts of London at the time.It was much the same.Therefore if the Tabram murder took people aback this way IT APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN AN ABNORMAL MURDER for the time.
The murder also fell in the very centre of his killing ground. Keep posting Shelley!
Natalie

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neil,
interesting line of research-hope it turns up something strong!
Don"t forget that PC Barrett said that at 2am he had seen a Grenadier guardsman loitering in Wentworth Street near the junction with George Yard.He had spoken to the man,who explained he was "waiting for a mate who had gone with a girl".
Despite being able to provide a very good description of the man and having an identity parade of thes Guards Barrett was never able to identify anyone accurately from the "line up".
Best Natalie

Jon Smyth
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jon

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley & Neil.
On this particular issue of a soldier being responsible. We had an opinion some years ago, it must be still on the CD Casebook, unless it was before the big virus attack we suffered, that no experienced soldier would ever plunge his bayonet or dagger into breastbone.

Soldiers are taught well enough to attack the fleshy parts of a victim, either the neck or the abdomen but never the upper chest, for the specific reason that any weapon could become snagged in the bones and should that happen it becomes very difficult to remove.
A military person would know better.

Just something to consider.

Regards, Jon

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I agree on that if it was a pure matter of a sex deal gone wrong, we would probably have seen a lot more disturbance and signs of a loud quarrel, although I wouldn't claim that it's absolutely necessary.

Regardless if it was a "dissatisfied" customer or not, the perpetrator in question must at least have had a psychotic moment, because of the nature of the killing.

However, the point is, that just because the murderer was psychotic in some way -- which I find reasonable and maybe even evident -- doesen't mean that he was Jack the Ripper. A dissatisfied customer doesen't rule out the man from being a psychotic.

Neil wrote:
"If Tabram is not a victim of "Saucy Jack" than I submit that there were indeed two Psychotic killers loose in Whitechapel."

Well yeah... there actually was -- at least!
As I've stated before, we have a number of extraordinary cases in Whitechapel in 1888 and 1889 (the headless torso in Whitehall; the Pichin Street murder; the murder on Emma Smith, the mutilated body of Elisabeth Jackson in 1889 etc.) and some of them can surely not be attributed to the Ripper.

If the man who was responsible for the Whitehall killing also lay behind the Pinchin Street murder, that would suggest we may have another embryo to a serial killer there as well.

And then we have other unsure cases, like Emma Smith, Frances Coles and Annie Millwood.
Judging from the evidence, I would not find it impossible that the man who committed the murder on Annie Millwood also killed Tabram. If that wasn't the Ripper, then that makes three psychotic killers.

After all, East End had a vast population and the living conditions were in many ways harsh, which by itself is a flourishing environment for crimes and murder -- and insanity.
What surprises me is NOT the possibility of several psychotic killers in the area, but rather the notion that there could NOT have been.

I find it very hard to believe that someone like the Ripper would completely change his MO and suddenly "invent" a consistent signature in a short period of less than a month, from Tabram's murder (with stabbing and no signature) to the murder on Nichols (with troat-cutting and then mutilation as a signature -- and a signature from then on that would be rather consistent).
I don't buy it.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

shelley wiltshire
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neil, Thanks for your post, you have some points, but not only are soldiers trained to kill they are also quick to kill, point being also that a soldier had to reload a gun in a certain amount of time in training or he'd be dead. This also corolates to other weapons ie a knife, bayonet. The other thing i'd like to mention is 'The Ripper' was a psycopathic killer,and not psycotic there is a very large difference between the two. Someone who is diagnoised psycotic is severely mentally ill, they are not methodical in their killing they are diagnoised as insane.The ripper is a psycopath, this is someone who is immature, selfish and devoid of humanity to a certain extent than most people and are classified as sane and aware of what they are doing. The timings that you mention, my questions would be where did Martha go after this soldier, did she meet up with pearly poll again, did she speak to another friend or aquaintence? Or did she go for another drink with this friend or soldier? Why return to George Yard buildings after a time lapse, of where she had left pearly poll to go off with this soldier? I personally don't think that this soldier was the ripper, infact i am thinking that all his victims had seen the killer 2 or more times before they met with their deaths, i'm thinking that the ripper was a groomer. Oh one last thing, i'd estimate that a prostitute would only take a maximum of around 20 minutes with a customer, so say, for arguements sake, it was just after midnight that she had finished with the soldier, what happened in the time lapse of at least 1 hr and 55 minutes?

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 995
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn/Shelley Neil /All!
yes I agree Glenn there could have been several serial killers at it in Whitechapel concurrently.We know there were two-the ripper who killes Polly,Annie and Catherine for sure and maybe several others and George Chapman-who poisoned several wives.
Regarding Jon Smythe"s point-Hi Jon-I dont see that the way a normal soldier is trained to kill has of necessity got to be the same as a soldier who is crazed enough to stab a defenceless woman 39 times.Surely he was off his head when he did this?that would never be the work of a trained soldier in good mental health-it has to be the work of someone deranged.
Shelley,a good point you make about the methodical killer but this doesnt actually make him a psychopath.Hitler was believed to have suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and as you know was a very well organised mass murderer.The cold-blooded killer such as Hitler-a crusader for various "causes[amongst which was the extermination of the Jewish race]is in my view a very likely candidate for Jack the Ripper.[More likely than a psychopath who would be a candidate for paid killings or mercenary work of a nasty type.
By the way as I point out in a post above a soldier was seen loitering around George Yard area at 2am by a PC Barrett-he was never seen again or found in any "identity parade".This soldier the PC spoke to and has described was thought at the time to have been a strong candidate for her murder.
Best Natalie

Jon Smyth
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jon

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Natalie
I agree with what you wrote:
"..Surely he was off his head when he did this?that would never be the work of a trained soldier in good mental health-it has to be the work of someone deranged."

Make no mistake, I accept the idea that a soldier is responsible for the Tabram murder, simply for lack of anything else to go on. It seems to be a case of occums razor to me (no pun intended).

Question for Glenn.
Do you recall, one of the Boston Strangler's victims was stabbed in similar fashion to what was done to Martha?.
I mention it because it was quite out of keeping with the 'signature' of the strangler.

What I wanted to ask you is if you have ever read that any killer can resort to frenzied stabbing, that it is more an expression of sudden anger as opposed to premeditated murder.
Therefore, it is not a signature at all.

Regardless of whether you are a 'slicer' like JtR, or an assassin like 'Son of Sam', or even a poisoner or strangler. If you have a knife on you and you are faced with sudden aggravation to the extent of rash violence, is it not true that most people would randomly stab at their victim?.

The attack on Tabram appears to me to be the work of spontaneous aggression, so maybe a random frenzied stabbing is more an expression of a state of mind at that moment in time, not a signature at all, purely an MO, because anyone might react in this typical way given the right circumstances.

If this observation is valid then Tabram cannot be ruled out on the signature argument.

Any thoughts?

Regards, Jon

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jon,

The frenzied stabbing can NOT be considered as a signature -- as I've stated many times -- but a modus operandi, only aimed to kill or letting off steam.

Therefore, in Tabram's case, there is no signature (maybe apart from the position of the body, but if that was intentional in this particular case is doubtful and beyond our knowledge).

That is also my main problem with Tabram in the Ripper context. For the Ripper the importance lay in the signature (the mutilation etc), because the signature served no real purpose besides fulfilling his fantasies. The victim was already dead.

In Tabram's case there are no such indications, only stabbing that was meant to kill -- no other driving force that seemed to have triggered the killer into post-mortem actions.

The Ripper's MO was strangling (at least in some cases) and the cutting of the throat, but those consistent methods of his were only meant to kill the victim -- the importance lay in what he did AFTER the victim was killed.
We don't see this need at all in the Tabram case.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Police Constable
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn, Jon & Natalie,
Very good points Glenn in your post, you've hit the nail on the head, Jon i don't disbelieve you about the way a soldier would kill, it sounds reasonable and realistic, but Natalie does have a point, what if the soldier had made a mistake in a frenzy? but let us assume that Tabran met someone else after the soldier, because of the lengthy time concerning the doctor's report, the killer would be someone other than 'Jack the Ripper'. Natalie to clear some confusion, a serial killer enjoys killing, this does make him a psycopath (this is taught throughout criminology, no debate, no question). So we can safetly say that Martha Tabran was not a ripper victim....As i thought all along anyway.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelley,no one to date has a monopoly of certainty about the state of the rippers mind.
This guy could have been the psychopathic killer you insist he is but he could also have been a paranoid schizophrenic and to state that his methodical method of killing shows he doesnt belong to this category of psychosis is just not so.As I point out above Hitler was a type of serial killer-he consecutively and very methodically organised the killing of millions of Jewish people because he believed he could create a "pure Germany".He was a crusader for a cause. The ripper too could have killed because he was becoming psychotic.He could have believed he was under command from a power outside himself,that he could have "heard voices"instrucing him to do this[ie he was acting under the delusion of orders.
Nobody knows for sure.Thats why this site exists.
Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelley,

Thank you for your kind words.

As far as the Ripper's mental state, though, I believe Natalie has a valid point here.
FBI's profilers have (for what it's worth) "diagnosed" the Ripper as a disorganized killer, preferably a paranoid schizofrenic, and it's not impossible. In Sweden we've had a lot of remarkable murders performed by individuals who has "heard voices".

However, as Natalie says, we can't be sure of the Ripper's mind -- not any of us, and that is very much up to debate.

Not all serial killers are psychopaths, although it must be acknowledged that most of them are, and especially those who manages to remain uncaptured for a long period of years. (The Ripper's reign didn't probably last longer than a few months, so this is quite a matter of personal interpretations of the circumstances.)

Some serial killers -- like the Son of Sam -- are confused and disturbed individuals rather than smart psychopaths, so not all of them can be categorised as "Bundy" types.

However, we can't know this for sure; he sure was psychotic, but was he a psychopath? Well, maybe -- maybe not...

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes i agree with that Glenn, not all serial killer's are purely psycopaths, they can also be psychotic, or with other mental illnesses such as schizophrenia (but people diagnoised with schizophrenic personalities are very rare in killing), but the fundamental basis of someone who will kill has a psycopathic personality, it is most definately been proven. I have come across some schizophrenic personalities, they have a tendency to harm themselves or even try suicide, suicide is not common amongst serial killers, but psycopaths will not commit suicide, as they are too interested in getting others to fulfil their needs and satisfaction. To debate on whether a serial killer using methods as not a psycopath is to take the whole of the proffession of criminology as a complete joke (and this is definately not so). It has been established by the police force itself that, Nichols,Chapman,Stride,Eddowes & Kelly all had their throat cut (method 1), that all had been mutilated (method2), these 2 methods is enough to establish a methodical killing. By the way Natalie, psycopath is a personality not a state of mind (illness), i speak with a proffessional analisis, Glenn i cannnot understand why an FBI computer would assume the ripper killer to be disorganised, the only thing being that in the case of Kelly, it was a frenzied attack (this occured because it happened indoors,all others such as Eddowes were killed outside), but as horrific as it was, method can still be traced ie, throat cut and( organ removed,disembowelment) mutilation. By the time the killer had got to Eddowes and Kelly he had gone into the killing further and established a 3rd method. Now that i have summed this up, i'll wager that the ripper now started on dead bodies rather than victims of Whitechapel, such as annie millwood or Tabran. So someone that has worked in forces, mortuaries or prison type morturies, or scientific research of the day.

Shelley Wiltshire
Police Constable

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a bit of info glenn & Natalie:
I spent a night in the same flat as a schizophrenic personality called Mark, he was the one who called me for breakfast and made me a cup of tea. I was as safe as houses, won't remark too much on his appearance, but he had terrible scars on his wrists where he had been admitted to hospital so many times for trying to kill himself, he was tearful and constantly thought of suicide (you couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor bloke), but he wouldn't have hurt an ant, only himself.
cheers
shelley
Criminology Student ( MASC Ad Crim)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley,

OK, we've had these discussions here earlier but I'll do a quick re-run since it is rather interesting (although it may fall outside the subject of this thread).

Firstly, I think you are confusing schizofrenics with paranoid schizofrenics! Those two categories are completely different. What you describe is very correct for the ordinary schizofrenics. But the paranoids can get extremely violent and dangerous, because they feel threats all around them. Some of those are quite effective and methodical killers since they, for example, hear voices that tells them what to do. So, don't confuse these with schizofrenics in general, like your firend (I know a couple myself, and I agree, they are quite harmless to others than themselves, and that is also why the schizofrenic Kosminski, for example, feels rather unbelievable as the Ripper).

I can give you a whole lot of serial and methodical killers that are NOT psychopaths. I pointed one out for you earlier, namely the Son of Sam. In Sweden we've had several killers and serial killers that's been diagnosed as paranoid schizofrenics or other mental disorders -- that's been using the same modus operandi again and again. Psychotics, yes -- but were they psychopaths? No.
Mental cases like paranoid scizofrenics or similar can appear very orderly on occasion and doesen't necessarily raise suspicion and they are quite capable of carrying out rather complex murder schemes.
One such example that I like to pull up, is Hadden Clark (who believed he was Jesus Christ), who finally got caught after the murder on Laura Houghteling in 1992. He later confessed to a dozen murders, among those Michele Dorr.
Clark used such extraordinary methods as dressing up as his victims with clothes and a wig while transporting the bodies to dig them down.

As I said, we've had a number of such cases in Sweden, where rather sophisticated (but of course also impulse-based) murders has been done by paranoid schizofrenics. All in all, we have very few murder cases in Sweden done by psychopaths.

Psychopaths are the most common category when it comes to serial killing, but they are not the sole group. If they teach you that where you study, I would recommend you to change university. So you see, Shelley, one can't take such a thing for granted and say that all methodical killers or serial murderers are psychopaths. Because that is unfortunately false. Police officers know this, criminologists know this and the FBI and CID (in England) know this.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Police Constable

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
Here's a bit of Educational info that criminology students study:
....Unlike authentic sufferers from mental illness,'Psychopaths' do not lose touch with reality and rarely suffer much anguish or distress. They are essentially selfish, shallow and immature - yet are sane and usually of normal intelligence. They have been described as ' social predators' who ruthlessly plow thier way through life.. Completely lacking in conscience and in feelings for others, they selfishly take what they want and do as they please, violating social norms and expectations without the slightest sense of guilt or regret (Hare,1994;p.xi). Giving these people a Quasi-Psychiatric status has fuelled false ideas about the mentally ill.
Refering to the fallacious perception of the failure of care in the community, Professor Julian Leff pointed out, "Part of the misperception of the situation is a confusion in the mind of the public between schizophrenia and personality disorder" (ie:between people who are seriously mentally ill and those who are just anti-social or immature) (Leff,2001;p381)
Also Everybody, If you take a look at the case of the 'Yorkshire Ripper', he claimed to have heard voices...only after 9 months into being caught so the Judge so said. A lot of serial killers try and fool the professions into thinking they may be seriously mentally ill, when infact they are not seriously mentally ill, this is because they want to escape being an ordinary prisoner on a life sentence, or indeed the death penalty. Most serial killers try this hoax of "hearing voices" and the rest!
Cheers
Shelley
Criminology Student
for MASC (Ad Crim)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelley,

Concerning the FBI profile, it is not a computer!
It is a complete unit (The Behavioural Science Unit), with specialized detectives and their basis for the deductions they make is some 20--30 years of interviews with a large number of serial killers. As far as England is concerned, this type of work is often carried out by psychology professors like David Canter, who specializes on the field.

Now, profiling is controversial and I myself has some doubts about its accuracy, mainly because profiling is built on generalizations of how a certain type of criminal mind operates in a certain situation and is only meant to deliver broad guide-lines of which type of person to rule out and which to consider. (Not to mention the fact that most of their conclusion are pure very much common sense, that also can be reached by a good detective.) And to apply this method on a 115 year old case is tough work.

John Douglas of the FBI carried out such an attempt to do a profile on Jack the Ripper in 1986 or 87 (and you can read more thoroughly about it in his book The Cases That Haunts Us). He and Roy Hazelwood (who specializes on sexual offenders) came to the conclusion that Jack the Ripper was a disorganized individual (since he, among other things, took a lot of unnecessary risks while performing the murders), a loner in his 20s or 30s, had an occupation (or prior occupation where knives and anathomy are involved, like a hospital, morgue, a butcher etc.), unmarried, ordinary or shabby appearance etc.

I don't have the book here with me at the moment, but you can come across Douglas and his FBI unit several times if you study this forum. It takes to much space to go over it all and it has been done several times here.

Whether or not one wants to believe the profilers is up to the individual. The FBI (and David Canter in England) didn't see an organized smart and cunning psychopath in Jack the Ripper (although Douglas meant there was a possibility for a mixed individual, with both organized and disorganized traits).
If they are right or wrong I cannot say, and the debate will probably go on and on about that forever.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1939
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelley,

Yes, a lot of serial killers (as well as killers in general) do try this hoax with hearing voices. However, that is usually quite easily discovered, and in the long run you can't confuse a paranoid schizofrenic with a psychopath. One of the Hillside Stranglers tried this approach, but he failed to convince the doctors and the police authorities.
But to claim that all should be hoaxes is completely wrong and a misconception. Yes, this approach is tried a lot, because it gives the criminal the opportunity to avoid prison or a death sentence, but these frauds are for the most part discovered.

Most real paranoid schizofrenics that committs crimes have already a well recorded medical history long before they did these crimes, with prescribed medication etc., and that has also been the case of most of those criminals who are diagnosed as such.
So that "faking" argument doesen't hold up.

All the best

Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Police Constable

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
Sorry if what you read on my post made you think that psychopaths could fake Schizophrenia and actually fool doctors, i know that they can't fool doctor's, all i am simply trying to say at the end of it is, the Ripper must have a psychopathic personality, read my post above again.
I hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Shelley
Criminology student
For MASC (Ad Crim)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1940
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley,

I am not so certain about that. He may have had a psychopathic personality but then again, he may not have. I think we have too little information about that in order to fully diagnose him -- because, as I've stated above, not all serial killers are psychopaths.

As far as I am concerned, there are some indications on the crime scenes that points to a somewhat disorganized and mentally disturbed individual while some of the circumstances may point in the opposite direction, depending of how we choose to interpret the evidence at hand.

So I don't think the Ripper must have had a psychopathic personality, although there of course is a possibility that that could be the case. As for myself, I dare not today have a total opinion about it.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh before i forget again,
Glenn, Paranoid schizophrenics do not kill methodically, their mental state does not allow them to think that clearly. Some good points though Glenn. Oh and sorry for saying 'Computer' i just said it as a matter of speech, i am aware of what you explained..as last time i heard the FBI had named Kosminski as the suspect, i think this was in A-Z of Jack the Ripper by Paul Begg.

Cheers
Shelley

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelley,"paranoid Schizophrenics do not kill methodically,their mental state does not allow them to think that clearly".
As a general rule I think you are right here.
However it depends on the individual and the progression of the illness and indeeed whether it manifests itself in violence and killing.As you and Glenn have said by no means all and in fact these days very few people who suffer from this illness become violent or kill.Thankfully.But some do especially if they come of their medication and there have been a few cases recently where this has resulted in frenzied killing/stabbing completely out of the blue and having no rhyme or apparent reason.
But not all such individuals behave like this who have paranoid schizophrenia.Hitler as I stated above is such a case.In fact he is a text book case worthy of your study as it will provide a wider spectrum of how the illness can manifest itself than many less famous examples.
He was cold calculating deeply paranoid and totally ruthless.He was a loner who through his zealous committment to German nationalism was able to inspire and lead a whole generation of disaffected Nationalists towards fascism ---and to World War Two ,the systematic slaughter of six million Jewsas well as anyone else who opposed him [Romany Gypsies/communists and others ---and there were many thousnds of German people who opposed him which is often forgotten.But he was clever enough and it must be said mad enough to overcome a destroy all opposition-for a time.
So check it out because here you have a classical case of paranoid schizophrenia.
Natalie

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1941
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley,

Yes, I must admit I was a bit surprised over that "computer" thing. As a criminology student you should have come across FBI:s Behavioural Science Unit, although I wasn't sure. I hope it didn't come across as I in any way underestimated you. One just can't be sure.

I am sorry Shelley, but you are wrong about paranoid schizofrenics and their ability to kill in a somewhat methodical manner, and there are numerous cases that proves it. As I said, you can't mix them up with ordinary scizofrenics because it's just not the same.

Not only can you find a lot of such examples in the international crime annals (I just gave you an American example above with Hadden Clarke and that is just one among many), but we have the unfortunate pleasure of having good experiences with that very special type of criminals here in Sweden. The main reason is that they unfortunately -- due to a social reform -- were let out of their institutions during the 1980s, when they were closed down.

So yes, paranoid schizofrenics can commit serial killing of rather distinguished and comples character. All you have to do is to search for it; there are numerous examples of this, although they internationally speaking are not as common as psychopaths. But they do exist and since there are evidence of it I am afraid you must acknowledge that, unless you want to disregard a number of important criminal cases.

Although he probably managed to get away and remain uncaptured, there would be no need for Jack the Ripper to be a psychopath a la Bundy. He probably knew the area inside out with all its back alleys; he went for prostitutes that were desperate for money, so he didn't have to engage himself in manipulating and charming his victims in lengthy conversations and the police at the time were totally unprepared for these types of motiveless murders.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on July 31, 2004)
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, the conclusion FBI came to, was that Martin Fido's suspect David Cohen would be the correct candidate, although he was just presented by Fido in the last hour of that investigation. They therefore had to change their naming of a suspect from "Kosminski" to "Kosminski or somebody like him". Both of the alternatives are in fact unconvincing because what we know so far, Kosminski was probably an ordinary schizofrenic who hardly could take care of himself and who showed no violent traits whatsoever.

When they said "Kosminski or someone like him" they actually referred to David Cohen, which is more correct, since he was a dangerous and violent paranoid schizofrenic, but he is no way near Kosminski in personality.

So, to cut along story short, FBI:s main and final suspect was David Cohen, not Kosminski (although it is doubtful that such a disturbed and raving lunatic as Cohen could be responsibel for the killings -- he is a bit too much over the top for me, although we can't know his exact illness status when the murders were committed).
Problem is, that FBI only were interested in describing a certain character as JtR, but when they were asked to name a suspect, they only had the ones that is known to choose from, and none of them really did fit the bill for the profile. At the time Kosminski was the only one who suffered from a disease that came closest to their profile, but they were hardly totally satisfied with that solution.

This is more thoroughly described in The Cases That Haunts Us and in Fido's book.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn & Natalie,
Glenn where are you getting your information from? As far as i'm aware Cohen could not be traced and there wasn't any detailed information on him, so how do you know that he may have been mentally ill?
Natalie, did Hitler kill anybody himself? or did he just use paranoia and sweet talk of the masses to do his dirty work for him? Also a classic example of Paranoia can be attributted to communist leaders, 1947 europe?
I'll put it to you here Martha Tabran was not killed by the ripper, 1, look at the case of Kelly she said she had lost her key (McCarthy didn't have another key), the police got McCarthy to bash the door down, this is because the killer had locked the door with a key, which brings to my attention that the killer had met Kelly at least once before, George Hutchinsons statement, he said he had heard the man say to kelly( after the whisper and a laugh) "you'll be alright now for what i have told you" (sounds as if he had gained complete trust of Kelly), this is classic grooming of a serial killer (Eddowes was seen with a man she was at ease with).The Ripper who ever he was planned and methodically killed, this is not a paranoid schizophrenic of any calibre, it's a psychopath. Although this really shouldn't be on this thread i had to put it to you both. By the way Glenn, i am aware of the behavioural sciences dept and i am a criminology student, but some one can still be a criminology student and not be aware of the behavioural sciences dept. You both put in some good stuff, but i wanted to if i could make some things clear. Anyway keep posting!
Best Wishes
Shelley
Criminology Student
For MASC (Ad Crim)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelley,

I'll keep posting ideed and I hope you'll do the same. This is a very interesting discussion, although much of it has been said before.

Are you sure you're not mixing Cohen up with Nathan Kaminsky? Cause Kaminsky was found in an asylum just before the Ripper murders started, treated for syphilis. After that he disappears from the face of the earth. (Fido claims that he and Cohen are one and the same, but there is no proof of this.)

But as far as Cohen is concerned, his medical condition and hospitalization is fairly well documented, as well as other information regarding his death etc. This is all described in Fido's well researched book. He was indeed a paranoid schizofrenic and his violence is well documented.

Also take a look in the "Suspect" section on this website, where I wrote and contributed the piece about Cohen.

I agree with you, though, that Tabram probably was not a Ripper victim.

For what it's worth -- and I know this is controversial -- I am actually quite doubtful about Kelly's inclusion as well. To me the Kelly murder indicates a sloppy copy-cat killing by someone who had a rough (but not totally correct) knowledge about the details of the Whitechapel murders, maybe received from the press accounts. Several similar cases in crime history displays the same type of mutilations -- even worse -- by a relative or husband to the victim.

Several important MO and signature pieces are missing in the Kelly murder and the approach is different. Not to mention the fact that he didn't take the womb or uterus with him as a trophé. My bet lies on Barnett for the Kelly murder, although I can't prove it. But Barnett had both motive and opportunity and his alibi is questionable.

Secondly, Hutchinson's testimony can't be trusted one bit! His information can not be confirmed, and we don't even know if his "suspect" even existed or if Hutchinson deliberately threw the police off their path for some reason. After all, Hutchinson was seen in Miller's court, hanging outside Kelly's room, and as he found this out, he probably realized that he had to come forward to the police himself with some story in order to not become a suspect himself.
So nothing Hutchinson said should really be taken too seriously. Besides, his suspect -- with a large thick gold chain -- would be a rather odd character in east End, and he doesne't correspond that well with other possible sightings of the Ripper.

I don't agree that the Ripper murders were planned; there are no such indications whatsoever. What he probably did was stalk his victims for a couple of minutes, but that's all. To me they look like acts done in psychotic, impulsive moments, not planned ahead.

Now, I am NOT saying that the Ripper was a paranoid schizofrenic, because I simply just don't know, but I can't find conclusive indications on that he was a psychopath either. Nothing is clear-cut in this case, Shelley. Remember that.

All the best

Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
Now that you mention Martin Fido's research on a David Cohen, it seems to ring a bell, its been a while (infact a few years) since i read that book, maybe i have confused Cohen with Kaminsky/Kosminski, but remembering Cohen somewhat vaguely didn't the police trace him and forget him as a suspect? Also Mary Kelly couldn't have been a copy cat killing, which body so severely mutilated as Kelly's matches another murder of the time? If you had said for instance 'Stride' was a copycat killing you may have convinced me!
Best Wishes
Shelley
Criminology Student

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,
Just a quick one that shouldn't be on this thread....Mary Kelly was the only ripper victim to be killed INDOORS, Nichols,Chapman,Sride and Eddowes were all killed outside these prostitutes were all living in lodging houses, Kelly was the only one to have a room... This is why Kelly had the worst Mutilations. Hope this helps.
All The Best
Shelley
Criminology Student
(MASC (Ad Crim) )

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley,

No, Cohen was locked up in the asylum but if he really was a Ripper suspect we will never know. That is just Martin's theory.

Kelly's murder may very well be a copy-cat killing and there are several reasons for this.

1) The mutilations are more or less "overdone" and exaggerated and not at all very consistent with the Ripper murders. To me it's clearly possible that it was made by someone who knew bits and pieces about the murders through reading, but didn't really have a full idea of the extent of the signature and therefore got it wrong.
Although I think it's possible that it may have been a Ripper killing, my theory is (and this has actually been put forward by others -- read Alex Chisholm's excellent work on the subject) that she was killed and mutilated by someone she knew fairly well and who had both motive and opportunity, and mutilated her in order to blame it on the Ripper. This has happened on other occasions before, where the crimes has been perpetrated by husbands or boyfriends, and from pictures I've seen, they have been even worse slaughter-houses than those in Miller's Court.
Kelly was butchered in a completely different manner than the victims of the Whitechapel murderer, and with really no method in the mutilations at all.

2. Kelly was attacked with a knife while still alive, indicated by the large amount of blood and by the simple fact that there are defense wounds on her arms, showing that she tried to defend herself. The lack of defense wounds on the Ripper victims show a different kind of approach, where the Ripper probably was a killer who wanted as little resistance from his victims as possible. In Miller's Court we see a completely different scenario and a different approach by the killer. And don't forget that Kelly is said to have been extremely afraid of the Ripper, to the extant that she -- according to some sources -- planned to escape London.

3. In contrast to the other killings we have in the Kelly case a credible suspect, namely Joseph Barnett, who didn't like her prostituting herself and who had to leave the room they had rented together in order to make room for one of her "collegues" and was very dissatisfied. Still, he had access to the room and knew how the door was functioning, and it is also quite possible that he was being let in.

4: In fact, the mutilations on Kelly indicates that it may have been someone else than the Ripper, but that it was supposed to look like he was the one who did it. For example, the sexual implications in the signature on Kelly is less prominent:
If we take the other most important canonical victims -- Nichols, Chapman and Eddowes -- the womb was taken from the bodies as a trophee. In Kelly's case it was the heart that was missing.

I personally feel that the Kelly murder may have been a domestic murder performed by someone she knew well, and that she then was mutilated beyond recognition in order to make it harder to identify her and to blame the murder on the Ripper. But the one who did it was in fact that not well informed regarding the details on the Whitechapel murders and therefore didn't all right.

I am not saying this is what happened (and, as I said, I am not the first to suggest it -- it is also referred to as an interesting scenario in Evan's and Gainey's book "The Lodger"), but it is a theory. And it is what the crime scene evidence tells me. To want it to be a Ripper murder (since it is one of the more"popular") is not enough for me, when there are certain things that doesen't add up.

It could very well have been a Ripper murder, but there are certain details that worries me and forces me to keep an open mind about other alternatives.

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Shelley,

"Just a quick one that shouldn't be on this thread....Mary Kelly was the only ripper victim to be killed INDOORS, Nichols,Chapman,Sride and Eddowes were all killed outside these prostitutes were all living in lodging houses, Kelly was the only one to have a room... This is why Kelly had the worst Mutilations."

Yes, I know. But that old argument is not convincing enough as I see it. There are other differences to consider as well that goes beyond the fact that it was committed indoors.

Yes, I know we're getting away from Tabram here, but still...

All the best
Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for the info, you've got a very good point about Kelly still being alive at the time of the mutilations (The blood, but this could be just an unlucky oversight of the killer) , but so too was Martha Tabran, and there was not as much blood around Tabran as there was Kelly (Kelly had her throat cut Method 1), as soon as the main artery is severed in the neck, death occurs, but it doesn't necessarily indicated the heart grinding to a halt immediately. I think it largely depends on the person in question, also with Kelly being inside a building with a fire blazing(kettle spout melted on the fire) the blood would take a longer to cool, the other victims were outside in a colder enviroment, depending on height ,weight, possibly build also, clothing or whether they were indoors or outdoors, the cooling period varies from one body to the next. Ask a Pathologist...i got this info from a Pathologist.

Best Wishes & Good Talking with you...

Shelley
Criminology Student
(MASC (Ad Crim) )

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly,

I don't think Kelly necessarily was alive when the mutilations were performed, since she probably had her throat severed first (or did she? -- maybe that was done afterwards?). As you say (and I am by no means that well read on pathology) -- the blood could depend on the circumstances and temperature on the crime scene.

However, the important point is that she was attacked with a knife in a conscious state and she that she had defended herself, which indicates a killer less experienced and familiar with the approach. I am not sure, but I can't really grasp the idea that the Ripper would do that, not even indoors.

The other important point is that there was no womb or uterus taken as in the cases of the other victims, which I would consider to be quite an important part of the Ripper's signature. Heck, we don't even know if the perpetrator took the heart with him of if it was destroyed in the fire or just overseen in the mess.

I somehow get the feeling that Kelly knew her perpetrator very well, but -- as I said -- I can't prove it.

Nice talking to you as well, Shelley.
Have a pleasant Saturday night.

All the best

Crime historian, Sweden

Shelley Wiltshire
Sergeant

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn, Thanks for your post(s),
One bit that i'm wondering, you said that Kelly fought off her assailant, because of bruises...where would this indicate a knife? Don't forget that Kelly lived in an area that was pretty rough to say the least, don't you think that she could have got into a fight with another woman, or prostitute as Chapman did over a bar of soap?

Regards
Shelley
Criminology Student

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly,

My pizza is getting cold, so I will make this short for once.

As far as i know, the defense wounds on Kelly's arms was not buises (I never said bruises) but knife cuts. It's been a while since I read up on the case facts, so don't take my word for it 100 %, but that is what I remember.

Cheers, Kelly.
Crime historian, Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.