Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Eddowes Genealogy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Catherine Eddowes » Eddowes Genealogy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sharon Eddowes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My surname is Eddowes and my family originates from Wolverhampton, as did Catherine's. I am really interested in tracing my family tree to see if there is any connection. Does anyone have any information?

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome, Sharon. It's good to see that name on the message boards. These threads might be helpful to you: here and here. With twelve children, the Eddowes family in Wolverhampton was large, so I'm sure there's quite an extended family out there. If you're able to trace yourself back to them, I hope you'll let us know; I suspect they were an interesting bunch, quite independent of the Whitechapel murders.

You may also be interested in the account of the execution of Christopher Robinson in 1866, who was a cousin.

Best,
Dave

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sharon,
I hope you have followed David's good advice and follwed the links about Catherine Eddowes. There is a good chance you could be related to her Uncles and Cousins?
Would your ancestor be a William Eddowes, or even Thomas?

Sharon, I don't have any further copies of my Catherine Eddowes booklet, that gives a detailed info about her life and family members, but I can provide photocopies of the pages?

All the best
Neal

Sharon Eddowes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,
Thanks for the links. They were very interesting. If you ever find anything else out I'd love to know. My e-mail is given below.}

Neal,
Thanks for your reply. I managed to obtain a copy of your book recently from Loretta Lay books, cost me £16, but hey... it's autographed. You'd better become really famous now!!! A few years ago a gentleman with the surname Lester sent me a family tree leading from himself back to Catherine's uncle William, his father Thomas, and his grandfather William. However, I don't have any branches off this. The most likely link would be to 'Uncle William's' son George who married Mary Ann Forrester. But I don't have any details of their decendants. All I know about my own family is that my father Robert Dennis was born in 1935 and my grandfather Alfred was born in 1905. He had three brothers, Robert, George and Jack, and five sisters, Iris, Phyllis, Fanny, Clara and Frances. If you can offer any more info please contact me at sharon@carpentry-services.fsbusiness.co.uk

Thanks again
Sharon

Sarah Eddowes
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Sharon.
I'm another Eddowes really interested in my family tree. My grandpa did a lot of reseach into it, and traced quite a way back, but i don't have the info to hand! I know Newark and Balderton in Notts featured a lot and that there are links to the surnames Wand and Norris, but at that point I'm afraid I draw a bit of a blank!!If there's anything I may be able to help you with let me know at-
saraheddowes@hotmail.com
would be glad to help!
Sarah

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.