Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Black Bonnet Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols » Black Bonnet « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

interested
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure where i read it on here, but I saw someone inquire about how Polly was bragging bout a new bonnet and didnt know how she could afford it. I read that when she was done working as a servant at Samuel Cowdry s she stole three pounds worth of clothing. This could explain

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interested, As I remember she mentioned having a "Jolly new Bonnet" Given her station in life, she could have stolen it but conversely could have plucked it from somebody's garbage. just a thought, Neil

Jon Smyth
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jon

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neil, I think she'd have to walk along way to find a new bonnet in someone's garbage :-)

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon;
Agreed but "new" to her could be some old beater that she found in her travels. I liken it to telling someone you bought a new car even though it is used. It's new to you but not fresh from the factory. Still, I think she like as not stole it. Kindest regards, Neil

Randy S
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obviously she acquired the bonnet from a wealthy patron, along with a bunch of grapes which was as expensive as caviar in those days.

I think Abberline probably realized this too when he saw it during an opium-induced psychic vision.

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I first began reading about the Whitechapel murders, I too was intrigued by the jolly new bonnet.

Nichol's statement, in its context, suggests she had acquired it that night. The instant assumption is that someone gave it to her to win her confidence, but the timing is all wrong, and a moment's thought shows that it's not the only explanation. Most likely is that a friend passed on to her some discarded finery.

As I understand it that was what happened to clothes in the 1880's. Made of better quality, longer-lasting cloth than today, and individually tailored rather than mass-produced, clothes were passed down a sort of chain - as they got older and more worn, they were passed on to a lower order of people. There were many more second-hand clothes shops and I take it that the workhouses, churches and missions also distributed old clothing free to the needy.

But then, we should not forget that someone gave Stride a piece of velvet of which she was very proud, and there was clothing burned in MJK's room.

On balance, however, I have long discounted the bonnet as material evidence in Nichol's death.

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.