Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Dawody family Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Dawody family « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this intriguing listing in the 1881 Welsh census for a family of Irish origin who are listed as the DAWODY family. This name is almost certainly mistranscribed. I have checked the rest of the 1881 English and Welsh census returns, the 1891 returns for both coutries and 1901 the same.
I can find no other occurence of this name thus spelt. Unfortunately I do not have access to the original returns for 1881 and so cannot check the real name but I would certainly be interested to know what it was!

DAWODY Household: 1881

13 Mill Street, Swansea Town, Glamorgan, Wales.

Head:
Patrick Dawody aged 43 born Limerick - Labourer in Copper Works
Wife:
Margaret Dawody aged 42 born Cork, Ireland
Children:
James aged 23 born Limerick - Labourer in Copper Works
Michael aged 21 born Limerick - Labourer in Copper Works
John aged 19 born Limerick - Labourer in Copper Works
Richard aged 17 born Limerick - Labourer in Copper Works
Mary aged 15 born Limerick
Margaret aged 13 born Limerick
Ellen aged 10 born Limerick
Catherine aged 5 born Limerick
Anne aged 4 months born Swansea

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

Unfortunately, having looked previously into what information can be found out this side of the Irish sea on the Kelly question, I found that the census returns for Ireland from 1861 to 1891 have all been destroyed (1861 and 1871 were destroyed by the order of the government after statistical information had been taken from them, 1881 and 1891 were pulped and recycled during World War I due to paper shortages).

Also the census returns from 1821 to 1851 were mostly destroyed in a fire in the Four Courts in July 1922 and County Limerick returns are not among the papers which survived.

The only course of action is therefore the register of Births, Marriages and Deaths, and these were only commenced in 1864 so Mary may or may not be registered depending on her exact age in 1888. The Mary here should have been born in 1866 and so should appear, but to track her down without a better idea of the surname would be difficult as only the index is currently available for view by the general public. I may see what I can do over the coming weeks however (once my exams are over!)

Neal Shelden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Neal

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,
Having carried out a quick search on the public records 1901 census site, I have come up with a possible name for the family as DARMODY.
There is a James Darmody age 48? born Ireland, living Swansea, occupation Copper Rickler. He could be one of the sons, as could Richard Darmody 35 a dock labourer. There is a Michael Darmody 36? Marine Stoker. Also, a John Darmody died in 1898 (dec book) age 36 at Swansea, and could be another of the brothers?
Neal

Neal Shelden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Neal

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Further confirmation: Marriages all for Swansea.
Michael Darmody June 1894
Richard Darmody Dec 1885
Mary Darmody Sep 1887
Margaret Ann Darmody June 1898
Ellen Darmody Dec 1893
Catherine Darmody Sep 1898
Annie Darmody Mar 1899

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Neal - very much appreciated
Oh well - back to the drawing board...
All the nest
Chris

Cludgy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I have come accross a few mispellings of family names whilst searching census returns in the course of looking into my family tree.

One of the names of my ancestors was Carmody. It was written as Darmody, in the 1881 census.

The Irish brougue must decieve the English compilers of the census this way.

Thus I think that your Darmody, and Dawody, could be Carmody (think of Tommy Carmody the Irish jump jockey)

Dawody, could also be Dunnwoody, another Irish name.

Richard Darmody
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was interested to stumble across this site and find a reference made some months ago to the"Dawody" family in Swansea and who were of Irish descent. This should almost certainly read "Darmody" and the head of the household Patrick was my great great grandfather, spoken of to me by my own grandfather from Swansea who was Richard darmody.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.