Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Why is Mary the most talked about JTR... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Why is Mary the most talked about JTR victim? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 19, 2004David O'Flaherty25 4-19-04  7:29 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James D. Smith
Police Constable
Username: Diomedes

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 6:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,
I have just recieved my log in name to participate in the message boards and look forward to some thought provoking conversations with you people. My name is Jim and I am from San Angelo, TX. I have alot I would like to say but it is late right now so I probably wont get started for a day are two. Once again I am delighted to be a member and "hats off" to all you fine people who make this a truly wonderfull sight.

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 684
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 6:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James
Welcome! 'a truly wonderful sight ' eh!!We sure are!

Hi Nats
Great idea, we'll email about it,and not bore all of these'fine people' ok?I also love the 'singing' softly bit.

All- So glad that so many people have these thoughts about Kate..Good on her eh!
Cheers Suzix

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 685
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim-
1.That photo... OK its THE photo, and along with the other one, is probably one of horrific images one can imagine....BUT...think.. about the Fred Wests of this world...Thank God there were no photos there...for an idea read 'Happy Like Murderers' by Gordon Burn

2.Mary's youth!
Ok Mary was younger than the others but no less/more of a victim!!!
Think of poor old Annie,sick and ill, clutching her pills and then going out one last time....keep my room for me ....etc.
Think of Kate.....well read back, she was an angel....ok with slightly singed wings.....my favourite!!
And Pol....the jolly bonnet says it all, a lovely strong lady.....despite the fact that she had the unpleasantness with the people who were 'teetotallers and very religious,so I ought to get on'chaps!!!Hm have a tad of sympathy with Pol there!!!

3.Mary the Last!
Do we actually know that.....at the risk of being a tad contencious here....Frances Coles,Alice etc....can we be sure???? Just can't quite get it out of my head that Mary .....like Liz wasn't one of 'THE FIVE' .Sorry but think they are both some bizarre form of 'domestic' whether in the case of Mary, be it Barnett or Hutch ,or whoever,or in the case of Liz more than likely to be Kidney (unfortunate name there!)
Anyway carry on chaps
Cheers
Suzi x

Natalie Severn
Chief Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Suzi.i agree with you over Polly and Annie.
Liz too [if she was a ripper victim].But Mary"s murder shocks the most I think.
Natalie

Dan Norder
Sergeant
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James,

"My name is Jim and I am from San Angelo, TX. I have alot I would like to say but it is late right now so I probably wont get started for a day are two."

Hey, cool, welcome. I stayed in San Angelo for a month or so a few years back training some tech classes. The beef was great but the water left something to be desired. You should stop by the Pub Talk section and hang out.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 4:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan-
Water??....see you on pub talk.
Cheers Suzi

maria giordano
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sometimes wonder what the level of mutilation would have been for the others if they had been "lucky" enough to have their own rooms.

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maria-

Interesting point I guess..actually a thought provoking one.... P'raps they were lucky not to have them! I guess there was safety in numbers in some hideous sort of way in a common lodging house...at least people remember you being there ,when you dont have the required......thats when things become dangerous...and have to step out onto/into the streets.
Cheers
Suzi

James D. Smith
Police Constable

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Dan,
Yeah the water is bad here, always has been, it's the high mineral content. But life is good in general. Jim Smith

James D. Smith
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 2:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,
I first became intrigued with JTR in 1989 when I saw a program about the Whitechapel murders on public television. I remember the first time I saw the image of the Mary Kelly murder scene and how shocking it was to me. I would like to share some of my personal thoughts with you as to what may have happened. I believe that Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes, and Kelly knew their killer as an acquaintance, I am not sure about Stride. In Paul Begg's Jack the Ripper, The Definitive History (an excellent read) Catharine Eddowes tells the superintendent of the casual ward located on Shoe lane that she hopes to collect the reward for the Whitechapel murderers apprehension because she believes she know who he is (chapt 11, page 191). She may indeed have known him only she suspected the wrong person and would have trusted the true killer. We have all read of Mary Kelly's dread she expressed to Joe Barnett and how she would have him read to her about the latest on the murders. Mary Kelly was indeed firghtened. What I am trying to say is JtR's victims knew him and had enough trust in him that they could be intimate with him but only to lose their lives to him.
Also I would like to discuss Dr Francis Tumblety, he was charged on four counts of gross indecency (homosexual assualt?) under the Modern Babylon act. It is the dates of the offences that intrest me as they are as follows: fri 27 july, fri 31 august, sun 14 october, and fri 2 november of 1888. These dates are eerily woven with the dates of the canoncial victims of JtR. Was Jack a manic deppresive personality? One of the trademark charcteristics of a person in manic phase is a marked intrest in sexual activity. Could it be that the murders were a consequence of guilty feelings about sexually assualting other men? This is some of my thoughts of this great Victorian enigma, would anyone care to comment on my ideas. Your input would be appreciated.

Many Regards,
Jim Smith
San Angelo, TX

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
I think the fact that she was most horrifically murdered and considered to be the last are importsant factors. Furthermore i think tthe fact that they had to make money may have clouded there judgement about who to go with.
Can anyone help my fallable meory and tell me what the problem people have mentioned on these boards in relation to mary kellys mudrer

Cheers
Jennifer D. Pegg

Maria Giordano
Police Constable
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer

There seem to be 2 big problems:

Witnesses who claim to have seen Mary later in the morning

The idea that Joe Barnett killed her. I think the tremendous facial mutilations feed this theory since facial mutilation can be an indication of a personal relationship with the victim. In this case I don't buy it. There aren't too many points of the case that I'm unmoveable on, but I just cannot see how it makes any sense psychologically to think that Barnett killed 4 or 5 women just to scare Mary off the streets.
Mariag

steve tavani
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 7:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary is the most intriguing and evokes the most visceral response from me because she was the youngest- and reportedly attractive. The fact I can't see her face bothers me too. Her past is the most elusive as well.

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary Kelly is the heroine of the gripping romantic thriller that is Jack the Ripper. Just look at movies like From Hell.

Of course she's not a heroine that wins at the end, but the sightings the next day give some people hope that perhaps she escaped and someone else was in her place. It's almost a kind of cliche hero story.

Another fact is that we don't know what Mary looks like at all but we are told that she was quite pretty. This means we all superimpose our own image of beauty onto her torn away face and she becomes an ideal.

Wintergreen.

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fact if you look at the different graves of the victims, there's a remarkable differecne in what surrounds them.

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surely the reason Mary seems so central to the case, is that she is the last "canonical"
victim?

Theorists from Macnaghten on have linked her death to the the end of the series of murders - then asked why.

Leonard Matters (c1929) made her the focus of Dr Stanley's search, and variations on this (mainly related to the conspiracy theory) have transferred to film - 1958 UK Jack the Ripper, Murder by Decree, 1988 caine JtR, from Hell etc.

The fact that she was younger than average and allegedly pretty adds spice, but it is the assumption that she was LAST that is key.

Just my views, of course,

Phil

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello James Smith !

One answer to your question regarding the apparent top heavy interest in MJK could be..

1. She was allegedly attractive. No one,despite all our attempts at being open minded, likes to see good looking innocent victims harmed.

2. We don't know exactly what she looked like...a mystery in itself.

3. She's the hardest of the Canonical Five to research...

4. She may have been the last victim of the Ripper [ of course,if she was murdered by the the same man who killed the other ascribed Rip-victims..].

5. She had a boyfriend who was estranged from her...the Harlequin romance-book aspect creeps in to the story...

6. She was young...

7. Seen ,or so he says,by a witness getting all coochie-koo like all get out [ a Texan phrase jest' fer you..] before entering Millers Court...

8. The photo.

9. Claims to have been "afraid"

10. Reportedly seen the following morning.

Its off to the kitchen [ 10 is enough ] to make some chili with Looziana Hot Sauce in commemoration of your joining this here site,podner...

How [ Killeen Texas expatriate..]

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard - your post raises an interesting question:

are there different reasons for (a) the perceived centrality of MJK to the case over a prolonged period; and (b) the current fascination with this victim.

It seems to me that your post very well addresses (b) while mine focused on (a).

What is interesting is that the reasons differ.

Phil

eliott edge
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

after reading the post mortum on MJK it sounds like, to me at least, after the organs were removed they were arranged around her corpse in a fashion that sounds like a star or a cross. The arrangement sounded funny to me so I drew a couple of diagrams only for a report on the killings, as well to keep my bearings on what was placed where, and it sounds kinda like they were in one of those patterns. Comments/tell offs?

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Phil....

The list which I compiled is from my reading of other posters thinking here and elsewhere.
I don't mean to sound disrespectful,but MJK was in some ways, a celebrity in the case...a Garbo figure. She's never considered in the same way the other C5 victims are...old and weary, worked out,failing health, victims of the Industrial Revolution's downside...she's attractive,young,and not a woman who has sailed past the point of no return.. She had potential,while in some ways,the others went to their inevitable fate a little early. Kelly was robbed..thats what I detect in people's posts and sentiments regarding her.

As dreadful as Mrs. Eddowes' photos were and are, they pale to Kelly's.

Smarter folks than I would have to answer your question as to why the percieved centrality issue was as prevalent then as it is in some ways now. For a minor example,ALL Ripper films which try to stick close to the "truth" in portraying the events that year always have an attractive Kelly or an attractive erzatz Kelly [ The Ripper,with Patrick Bergin ]..again,not being intentionally rude....Kelly's incomplete background and uncompleted life along with her attractiveness make her a marketable commodity...

She definitely [ unless I am seriously misreading what I have percieved,myself..] is the "favorite' suspect of female Ripper enthusiasts/ Ripperologists. I think women see themselves more in the Kelly-as-victim as opposed to the other women,including Tabram and the other unfortunates that were killed. Women appear to identify with her more in any event.

As for us hardankles...I think its the incredible damage done. How could a man do worse to someone else than that photo ?

Thanks for asking me,Phil....

Whats your take?

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 357
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 3:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She definitely [ unless I am seriously misreading what I have percieved,myself..] is the "favorite' suspect of female Ripper enthusiasts/ Ripperologists...

I hope and assume, Howard, you meant victim? Or do you have a new theory about her survival up your sleeve.

I agree with everything you say, by the way. My point was historiographical (ie about how views have developed) rather than in any way to question your take on the issue.

My view is really the synthesis of what we have both said.

Kelly is a puzzle because she has been perceived in some senses (I know not by all) as "last".

She is attractive because she is attractive.

I'm not sure that she became enigmatic until relatively recent attempts to trace her in the historical record began. Writers when I began to read on the subject did not, as I recall, make much of her possible survival, or reports of her being seen after her accepted time of death. But I may be wrong on that, and certainly there has always been a diversity of view.

Phil

Phil

Howard Brown
Inspector

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil....

You are correct,sir. It does appear that within the past few years that this possibility of MJK not being the woman in the room has surfaced. I looked through Cullen and McCormick and couldn't find this considered. I would guess that since more is known about the entire WM case now in 2005 than even 20 years ago, that certain areas or conditions in the case can be tossed back and forth....sometimes for the greater good of Ripper studies... Look at the theory that D'onston may have done away with his wife, Anne Deary. Until Chris Scott discovered the marriage info on her and her subsequent husband, some people may have subconciously used this "mystery" to study RDS further. Thats good. Now we know she didn't die at anyone's hands. Thats good too.

Thanks for the correction of the "suspect" to " victim"...See..there I go trying to start something myself !

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think too that we are prepared to be more speculative.

Ideas that would have been dismissed as crazy at one time - like the Mary Kelly sightings being genuine - now find followers. Maybe we are more gullible; maybe modern methods of communication (like this one) give us greater latitude; maybe we have got bored by solid research and stringent scrutiny of evidence... I don't know.

Phil

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All of that I think,Phil,plus the frustration of thinking that there may really never be any more to find out.

If there's no more information to be had then we're left giving up or spinning ever wilder yarns.
Mags

Phil Hill
Inspector

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Mags, Dr Williams has now emerged as a suspect (see separate thread) apparently with full supporting accoutrements - letters, diaries, even implements!!!

That should give us all something fresh to think about!!

Phil

Maria Giordano
Inspector

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes,Phil,it will keep some occupied for a minute and a half and some for a lifetime.
Mags

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only victim that has ever really interested me is Catherine Eddowes because she somehow seems to have survived the harsh realities of her existence- alcoholism and poverty -with such devil may care cheek!

Mary Kelly to me is just another poor girl trying to get by the best she could in impossible
circumstances and not coping very well at all.

She has also been described as blonde....

need we say more?

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jim,

Just wanted to say welcome to the boards. We have some really great people here, who are both knowledgable and courteous. We do get involved in some very heated arguements....or should I say "debates"....buts its all part of the fun.
Welcome aboard, buddy!

Paul

Erin
Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"She definitely [ unless I am seriously misreading what I have percieved,myself..] is the "favorite' suspect of female Ripper enthusiasts/ Ripperologists. I think women see themselves more in the Kelly-as-victim as opposed to the other women,including Tabram and the other unfortunates that were killed. Women appear to identify with her more in any event."

Actually, I don't think that's true at all, Howard, at least not for me. In fact, I've always been the least interested--from a purely investigational point of view--in Kelly. I'm far more interested in the earlier murders, since I believe they are more likely to hold the clues to his identity.

As far as my personal feelings for the victims, I have a great deal of sympathy for all of them. Whatever choices they may have made, whatever lives they led, they did not deserve such a cruel fate. That being said, I tend to feel the most pity for poor, broken-down Annie, sick and starving, trying to pull herself together enough to have a place to sleep that night.

At any rate, I think that as far as Kelly goes, the reverse is actually closer to the truth: It seems to be the men who focus most on her--young pretty, mysterious and senselessly, horrendously butchered. She cuts a far more romantic figure for would-be knights in shining armor than any of the others--one look at the portrayals of her in film and fiction should be proof enough of that!

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 617
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erin,

Good to see you back posting.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Erin,

Yeah, always good to see you.

You're probably right that a lot of it is a man thing. If we look at the famous serial killers who usually think of the ones that had pretty young female victims. I don't think that's much different from news coverage of the missing white women these days. Everybody knew Elizabeth Smart was missing, while some 39 plus prostitutes killed in Canada (probably on a pig farm) went mostly unreported. Some white girl goes missing in Aruba and the press goes insane, while less photogenic girls disappear on a regular basis largely uncommented upon.

I sometimes get the feeling that if a photo of MJK alive ever did surface and she wasn't nearly as pretty as common belief would have it that there'd be all sorts of men commenting on her butterface or flab or big nose or whatever and then just sort of not caring as much. She was beautiful because her friends said she was, and she was in such a state in the photos that we can't contradict them, so she's the supermodel by default. (And morgue photos aren't really all that flattering, but Nichols and Eddowes both look like they could have been lookers, other than the extreme poverty dragging them down.)
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 871
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't go quite as far as Dan on this one. My image of the living Mary Kelly is not of a raving beauty or "supermodel." I think of her as a rather plain-but-attractive young lady, stout (what we call large-boned) but not "fat." I think of her as someone I would have been comfortable with, comfortable enough to ask on a date (were it not for her profession) without too much fear of being rejected, but would not be in awe of her beauty. This is why I disagree with the reconstructions of her face that I have seen here. I think she was much more "stout' with a much broader face and a square jaw.

I think we are most fascinated with her because she was young enough that there was still potential for her life and also because we can't help feeling sorry for this victim that we see in those gruesome photos. They speak louder than the few mortuary photos we have of the other victims.

Eddowes, I think was probably still good looking and Stride may have been in her day. With the others it's hard to say since the ravages of time and neglect had done their worst.

Andy S.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Dan here that there is a tendency
to grade sympathy for female murder victims by how young and photogenic they happened to be.
That was why I loved Erin"s post which redressed
the balance a bit by reminding us of the pathos of Annie"s last hours.
As for Polly , several people commented on her youthful appearance and her delicate bone structure/features so I think Polly was probably still an attractive woman.
Andrew,yes Mary does seem to have been quite a hefty young woman but from a few accounts it seems that she had fair skin and flowing hair etc
Natalie

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3627
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erin,

Nice to see you again.

I agree with your post that it might be a man thing, although generalisations of course always are difficult.
I for my part, have always held Eddowes as a personal "favourite", because of her wits and her charming personality (in her on special way) -- in spite of all the hardships and lousy living conditions. Although a tragic fate and an alcoholic, is something about Eddowes that in my view points at a strong person who tried to keep her head above the muddy water in a cheerful way.
As for her features, I have always felt that there is some sort of nobility and very strong character in there.

But you're right, I think MJK:s popularity very much is based on her youth, supposed good looks and the disturbing elements of the crime scene photo.
Plus the fact that she herself is as much a mystery in her own right as the Ripper himself. That is, of course, appealing to human imagination.
I also think Dan delivers some very good points here.

All the best

(Message edited by Glenna on June 23, 2005)
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Mr Poster
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 4:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello

Alan Moores point that "she must have done something to deserve THAT" is a good one.

But while the photos were gruesome and creepy, the creepiest thing Ive read related to JTR is where the person killed after MJK (Francis Coles ?) is discovered by a PC, and while he is standing there, she opens up one eye. Thats creepy. In fact if I remember, it was so creepy, the poor PC left the force soon after.

And if anyone is familiar with Alan Moore, what the hell is the piece on page 22-25 of Chapter 14 in From Hell all about? Still cant figure it out. I appreciate the children have the victims names and the adult is Mary but what is the point being made?

Mr Poster

Angie Foulke
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all! I only discovered – and became addicted to – this website recently, after a lifelong interest in the case, and I have to say, this is an amazing site! I can surf it for hours and never run out of new and fascinating facts, theories and opinions to mull over……. Thanks to you all for giving me so much food for thought!

I have to agree with the comments about Kate – of all the canonicals, she would have to be the one who sparks my interest the most (of course, this could be partially due to the wealth of information available about her as she was in life, and about her movements in the days/hours leading up to her death). However, the more I learn about the other victims, the more “humanised” they all become in my mind’s eye, and my sympathy for their plight in life, and sorrow for their fate, continues to grow.

I wanted to add my own thoughts on the “popularity” of Mary Kelly (though that may be an unfortunate way of wording it!): the aspect of her murder that I personally find the most disturbing is that she died in the relative “safety” of her own home (and in her own bed) – yet another way in which she differs from the other canonical victims. As a child, I had an obsessive dread of being murdered in my home (to the extent that I would lie awake plotting my escape route in case I should happen to hear an intruder….). In the intervening years, I developed an interest in a number of real-life murder cases in which the victims were killed in their homes (of course I didn’t make the connection until years later!) – namely the Tate-La Bianca murders of 1969 and the Lizzie Borden case.

One has to wonder – if Mary was, as Joe Barnett reported, so terrified of JTR, how did she come to find herself in the same room with him? Is the general opinion that she invited him in herself, or that he broke in as she slept? If the former, then this would seem to indicate that she did in fact know him – why bring a stranger, a client, home with you when the standard business practice for Unfortunates seemed to be quickies in back alleyways? Especially with the terror that prevailed in Whitechapel at that time – to which, as we know, Mary Kelly was certainly not immune! It seems to me that she would not have brought a client home with her – if, in fact, he WAS a client - unless she knew him and felt relatively safe with him. If, on the other hand, he did break in – well, in wouldn’t be difficult in that security-challenged room!

Well, that’s my two cents! I’m about to post off my registration form, so hopefully I will be a fully-fledged member of this most excellent site very soon!

Cheers all!

“We will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway” – Douglas Adams, “The Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy”

Kane Friday
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I think Kelly is the most talked about simply because she is the most mysterious.
We cannot be sure of her actual name and we don't even have a single coherent description of her physical appearence.

After all,it is the mystery aspect that drew us all to the Jack the Ripper case in the first place.

What?...What do you mean you like the blood and gore too?

Kane

David Cartwright
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All.

I think that the collective summing up of everyone here says it all.
I agree with Phil, that being the LAST, and the horrendous manner of her demise, gives Kelly that special stand-out status.

And of course, we don't even really know where she came from. Only, tragically, where she went.
But God bless them all. None of them deserved such a terrible fate.

Best wishes all.
DAVID C.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.