Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

A question of identity? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Rose Mylett » A question of identity? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Katherine L
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the first time I have posted on these boards, indeed, I have never accessed the Casebook before yesterday...but it was a niggling in the back of my mind that prompted me to do so.

I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who felt mild alarm bells ringing after reading up on Rose Mylett as to whether the body they thought was Rose actually *was* her?

You see, it seems that she was identified by her mother...she also said that Rose had a child, and yet the examination revealed that the woman found had never had one. Yes, it seems strange to think that the mother was mistaken about the identity of the body being that of her daughter, yet the alternative is that she was mistaken or lied about the fact that Rose had had a child, which in itself is surely strange? It seems that those are to be the two alternatives....either the mother was mistaken in the identity of the body, or was mistaken/lied about Rose having a child, and as both are strange things to do, it makes the idea that a mistake in the identity occurred stronger as the alternative to that is just as strange in it's own right, so why not the first? Only two family members attended the funeral, the mother and a cousin, suggesting a lack of family ties.

The second is weaker, yet ties in. A witness claimed to have seen Rose in a drunken state before the body was discovered, yet the examination revealed that no alcohol had been consumed by the deceased. Assuming, of course, that the statement is true or not a mistake, then it would indicate the woman found was different to the woman named as Rose who was drunk before hand...again, assuming that there was no mistaking the identity of the drunken Rose, which, of course, is possible.

It was already found that she was in the habit of using various different names for different areas, which would have made it easier to 'disappear' after the body was found...perhaps it was seen as an opportunity to escape debt or trouble.

I know that it would have little to no affect on whether she was a Ripper victim, and obviously, I don't claim that the above suggestions are necessarily what happened...on the contrary...I'm rather looking for someone with more knowledge on the subject than me to prove it wrong and quell the annoying doubts and questions the points raised in the back of my mind when I was reading it, as I am relatively new to the cases.

Katherine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neale Carter
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ncarter

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Katherine,

Have just seen your message and must agree that at the very least this whole episode is "fishy". Although it is difficult to attribute this murder to JtR there are points of comparison and general strangeness which make if fascinating. Eg. female, prostitute, body left in yard accessable by public, general vicinity of Whitechapel, apparently strangled, soon after Kelly murder etc. The seemingly extraordinary lengths the police went to in seeking "natural causes" as a cause of death is mystifying in itself.

As to your specific point regarding the identity of the victim, the confusion over her name (at least 4 are attributed) does allow one to believe it may have been someone else who was murdered.

As to why, and whether there is any connection to JtR, we can only speculate but I'm sure more investigation would turn up some interesting results.

Regards

Neale

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.