Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Super. Cutbush Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Super. Cutbush « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 898
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 3:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are 4 reports concerning a Charles Henry Cutbush in three newspapers, dates unknown, which I am unable to pursue because of my primitive understanding of the internet.
'Charleston Daily Mail' (West Virginia)
'Indiana Evening Gazette' (Pennsylvania)
'The Times' (London) (2 reports)
Just in case someone else is able to follow them up, as it might help to establish an American connection to the Cutbush family at that time.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 929
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
If you have dates for any of these reports I'll see if I can find anything
Regards
chris

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 899
Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Chris
every time I try to get the dates out I'm redirected somewhere else, if you like I could send you the e-mail and perhaps you are able to locate primary sources for the info?
No worries if you can't.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 930
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ap
Sure- send me the info you have and I'll see what i can do
Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
Got your mail:-)
The Charleston Daily Mail report is dated 14 Feb 1930
The Indiana Evening Gazette is from 29 June 1953
There are six reports listed in The Times ranging from 1817 to 1833
I have looked at all the above reports and sadly none of them refer to the Cutbush in whom you are interested.
All the best
Chris

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 935
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP
regarding the possibly American connection, I had a look in the 1880 US census and there was only one family listed of the name of Cutbush:

Address:
District 2, Milton, Saratoga, New York
Head:
Mary Cutbush aged 38 born New York
Father born New York, Mother born England
Widowed
Occupation - Keeping house
Children:
William J Cutbush aged 14
Farmer
John Cutbush aged 12
Anna Cutbush aged 9
All children are listed as born in New York, with mother's birthplace as New York and father's birthplace as England

Hope this helps
Chris

(Message edited by Chris on March 01, 2004)

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP

Today I checked Palmers Guide to The Times 1790-1905 and I am afraid I could not find any reference to Charles Henry Cutbush. A search under the name Cutbush resulted in 26 hits, 25 of which were not relevant and prior to 1888.
There is an entry on 24th. March 1891 regarding a James Cutbush age 27, who was remanded by the Lambeth maigistrates for cutting and wounding one Florence Grace Johnson.

Sorry I cannot help further.

John Savage

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris

thanks for that, I did guess that they might all be dead-ends, but you never know - I actually managed to get the 1833 report myself from the Times, god knows how I did it!
I do enormously appreciate your efforts with stuff like this, and just wish I was young enough, or adept enough with this internet thing, to make a similar contribution.
As far as I am concerned it will be someone just like yourself - who has the time and patience to trawl through all the reports - who will one day surface something on their radar which is a collision that nobody can ignore.
You have my thanks for your kindness.

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 902
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John
the single reference you found is obviously Thomas Cutbush, I believe for some reason - yet unknown - he was originally charged under the name of James. Florence was one of his snip -snip scissor victims for sure.
I appreciate your efforts.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4193
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SOUTH LONDON PRESS MARCH 14th 1896

Suicide at Stockwell.

SCOTLAND YARD OFFICIAL'S SAD END.

On Monday night Mr. George P. Wyatt, coroner, held an inquiry at Stockwell repecting the death of Charles Cutbush, aged 52 years, late superintendent of the Executive Department, Scotland Yard, and residing at 3, Burnley-road, Stockwell.

Ann Cutbush, the widow, deposed that her husband had latterly been very depressed on account of his indifferent health. He suffered greatly from insomnia. On Thursday afternoon he shot himself whilst sitting in the drawing-room. He had previously threatened to commit suicide.

Ellen Cutbush, a daughter of the deceased, said that about 2 o'clock on Thursday afternoon she was sitting with her father in the drawing-room reading. She noticed that he appeared very strange, and suddenly she heard the report of a pistol, and saw that her father had shot himself in the head. She knew that he always carried a revolver in his pocket.

Dr. William Waite, of 241, South Lambeth-road, stated that he had been attending deceased for insomnia and pains in the head. At times he had delusions, one being a rooted antipathy to Roman Catholics, whom he believed were following him in order to bring about his ruin. The witness visited him on Thursday and found him very excited, and later in the day he was called and found him dead, with a bullet wound in the right temple.

The jury returned a verdict of suicide whilst temporarily insane.

Robert

(Message edited by Robert on March 03, 2005)

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done, Robert
been a long time coming that one.
Interesting that events moved from the kitchen to the drawing room? For the original reports based his suicide in the kitchen.
Nice to see official confirmation of his madness, which I don't think was temporary at all.
Very nice find my dear fellow.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4195
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, AP, this one has the drawing-room as the scene. Also, the doctor's name is slightly different.

Robert

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting.I wonder if Cutbush Sr and Cutbush Jr
acted together?
Its hard to imagine but if Charles really was that demented about Roman Catholics following him
to bring about his ruin did he perhaps see the women of Dorset Street and environs as the devil"s henchwomen?Did he perhaps make some crazy pact with Thomas to destroy them----as in the writing on the wall "Juwes"ie---by some ancient ritual known only to the initiated? Thomas we know was obsessed not only with being poisoned , but also with scrutinising medical books- to determine the likely progress of his venereal disease? When he wasnt creating collages of semi naked women cut out of paper he got caught in public "jobbing" two women in the backside with scissors?[for which he was sent to Broadmoor]*Was Thomas, then, merely assisting Uncle Charles in a mission to eradicate what both perceived for slightly different reasons to be a threat to their lives?
*a current Broadmoor patient who went on to kill and mutilate young women went through a spate of similar "Jobbing"attacks ,followed by a spate of rapes before going on to murder.
Natalie
ps AP the back of no 32 is no 2 Fieldgate Street.It then becomes part of Plumbers row.I havent done the rest yet.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Natalie
Your post reflects my own feelings, and I would guess Roberts as well.
I have always felt that it is stretching the very walls of credibility to have a suspect in this case who is actually related to a senior police officer investigating the same case, and then not to believe that there is some form of axis of evil.
Thank you for your ground work at Roadside and Fieldgate, what you have already accomplished is good enough for me.
It relates.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4198
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP and Natalie

Just what relation Supt Cutbush was to Thomas, is a mystery, and something I'd really like to get to the bottom of.

I think I draw the line at Uncle Charles actually accompanying Thomas to the murder sites, saying "Kill 'em quietly, lad. It's safer, and I've got a splitting headache." But of course behind the scenes is a different story.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too, Robert.
I remain convinced that the senior Cutbush's involvement would have been of a harum-scarum variety, perhaps much like I fictionalised last year... obviously not quite so demented, but getting there.
The fact that dear old Uncle Charles thought that the Fenian Papist scum were following him around is a very telling point in his madness. If my memory serves me well he also imagined that the Papists had poisoned London's drinking water supply.
He was obviously barmy, and I suppose the sky is the limit in that case.
Yes, Robert, it is absolutely essential that we establish exactly the family relationship between 'uncle' Charles and Thomas.
I want 'uncle' Charles to really be uncle Charles.
Perhaps Debra will tell us one day?
Great work, Robert.

TURNIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear AP

Did you know that Charles Cutbush was a bit deaf?

He and Thomas were leaving church one Sunday morning. The vicar had based his sermon around St.Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians.

THOMAS:Did you enjoy the sermon, Uncle?
CHARLES:Yes. Especially the bit where St.Paul took a pistol to the Fenians!

pete cutbush
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 4:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey dudes,peter william cutbush here,from byron bay,this is wild stuff,but fascinating.keep up the great work and keep me in the loop.so first cutbushes in U.S 1880.? maybe jack was an ozzie?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.