Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Kellys mutilations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Kellys mutilations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 705
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
It has been debated on these boards, about the length of time it would take the killer of Mary Jane Kelly, to actually perform such hidious mutilations.
The length of time , is important, for if she was killed in daylight hours , as I believe, that belief would not hold any credence, if ,for exsample it took two hours to committ such a act.
I personally believe, judging by the amount of mutilation,administered on Eddowes in just a few minutes, that no more themn 10x that period would have been sufficiant to inflict the wounds on kelly.
Taking in account the murderers almost certain frenzy, I would suggest he could have completed that task inside no more than forty minutes.
If Kelly was killed during daylight hours in all probability she was killed between 9am -1030am, if that amount of time is not a possibility to inflict the amount of mutilation, then it would make it almost certain that she was killed prior to Maxwells sightings.
Has anybody out there, have an insight to the length of time , being totally realistic, to disfigure a person of that frame, to the extent, we have all witnessed in those disgusting photographs.
Regards Richard.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

No I am afraid I don't have any real insight on the matter, but for once I agree with you.
I would say approximately thirty minutes, not more, would be appropriate.

As you say, the mutilations on Eddowes would have been conceived in only some few minutes (with the murderer being stressed for time and the corner was also very dark) so I think it is plausible to assume that the two hours estimation is wrong.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Jim DiPalma
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jimd

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Richard, I have no insight either, just my .02, but I agree with you, too. The point has been raised on the boards before, and my belief is that the mutilations on Kelly probably took no more than 30 minutes.

That room was a dead-end, even if the murder took place at night, there was always a chance that someone would have come knocking or peering in through the broken window. I think the Ripper, whatever his mindset, was sufficiently aware of his surroundings that he would not have lingered over Kelly any longer than was necessary to perform the mutilations.

MHO, FWIW,
Jim

Chris Michetti
Sergeant
Username: Pl4tinum

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you know how long it took or could have taken? Seems to me like slicing up a corpse wouldn't take that long to do. Maybe 5-10 minutes? Cut up the face a whole bunch, cut off the breasts, slice the legs, remove the heart, carve the abdomen. Throw a few intestines here and there.. I don't know about what you all think but knife strokes don't take a minute each, and although he went to town, it would seem to me like if he was in some sort of frenzy he would have killed much faster than 30 minutes.

(Message edited by pl4tinum on February 27, 2004)
Chris

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guy,

Depends on the individual. Some sup their beer quicker than others. Some down it in one whilst others take small sips.....get my point ?

In Mary's case I guess the only indicator would be the estimated time of death and how congealed the blood is around the roon.

Either way, its a hard call.

Good luck in your quest Richard.

Monty
:-)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, Chris.
But you misunderstand me (at least); my point was that it wouldn't take longer than 30 minutes (since earlier estimations have pointed at two hours). That's all.

I for my part believe that the mutilations on Kelly very well could have been done in 10 minutes or less -- especially if, as you say, they were done in a frenzy. I would say 30 minutes is an over-estimation, but at least it is less than two hours!

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.