Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Kellys room. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Kellys room. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I am amazed that this point has not been at least remarked upon.
The recent sketch, that appeared on these boards, shows the inside of kellys room, in detail.
However to the righthand side of the bed, there appears a washstand, to the left hand side of the bed, the table is missing, it clearly shows two items, on the mantlepiece, a bottle of beer, that appears opened, and a candle, also above the grate there is a print, the table has one chair, against it, the other in the left hand corner of the room.
What confuses me, is whoever made this sketch must have seen the room, and its contents, in order for the drawing to be produced.
My question is, was the washstand, situated to the right of the bed, if so clearly the bed was not up against the wall, and the famous picture was taken after the washstand was removed, and the bed pushed up aginst the partition.
I feel whoever, made the sketch, would not have put the washstand in that position, unless it was originaly there.
It is intresting, that only one chair is around the table, and the other is placed in the corner of the room, for that depicts only one chair, was needed , which of course is correct, as Barnett, had moved out.
The table to the left of the bed, is missing.
An explanation for that is the contents of the table were placed in buckets, and the table was taken outside and scrubbed down.
The point of this thread is to discuss the authenticity , of that sketch, for if the layout is correct, it would for instance do away with the myth, that the killer must have attacked kelly from the left side of the bed, for there would have been a gap, on the righthand side of the bed.
We have always based our assumptions on the photo, but the picture could have been taken, after the room, had been changed.
Regards Richard.

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Richard,

I remember that these questions were raised years ago regarding that sketch, and it was explained that this artist wasn't rendering an exact copy of the room. His goal was merely to provide an illustration for a news story.

LEANNE

Kris Law
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kris

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

I think also the notion of Kelly being attacked from the left side of the bed had a lot to do with the arterial splashes of blood on the far wall which would indicate that the killer didn't stand on that side.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I am still of the opinion, that the artist who was responsible for that sketch, would not have put the washstand in a place where, it would seem unlikely to be, unless he had first hand knowledge, of the rooms layout. he seemed to have the rooms layout correct, table and two chairs, he even seperated the chairs, the print is shown above the fireplace.
The bottle of beer, on the mantlepeice, is that a form of his imagination?.
Richard.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Richard

I have had this very same conversation on these boards several times and have pointed out that if the washstand was at the time of the murder where it is seen in the sketch, the killer probably could not have rendered the "FM" on the wall as some of the Maybrickites claimed, i.e., the washstand would have been in the way. I also do agree with you, Richard, that the detail of the sketch, which agrees fairly well with descriptions of the room and with the available photographs, would seem to have been made from first hand knowledge of the layout of the room and its furnishings.

All the best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

(Message edited by ChrisG on January 28, 2004)

(Message edited by ChrisG on January 28, 2004)

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Rich,

I feel the bottle of beer, the chairs, the washstand, the print were all 'secondry elements' of his artwork. He would have just been interested in rendering the body on the bed, and not exactly either! That was the work of the police artist.

LEANNE

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard

It would be very helpful if the various artists employed by the newspapers and magazines could be individually identified and their works distinguished. Then we could compare all the pictures by each artist and assess whether he was given to exaggeration, artistic effect etc, or whether he was more realistic in his treatment.

Robert

Nick Cook
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The letter extract where Jack mentions beer bottles (as found in mary kelly's room) is the 'Dear Boss' letter, it goes as follows:

"You will soon hear of me with my funny little games. I saved some of the proper red stuff in a ginger beer bottle over the last job to write with but it went thick like glue and I cant use it."

Barrnet drunk ginger beer and empty bottles were found in the room.

Nick Cook
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the beer bottles were actually there as they did find empty ginger beer bottles in the room which Barnett was supposed to have liked drinking. This is also a theory on why he could have been the killer as in one of the letters he sent he mentioned something about having a drink of ginger beer i think (cannot remember off the top of my head). i will find the letter and post the extract.

Edgar Hadley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nick,

Ginger beer was a very popular soft drink in Victorian times,probably as popular as Coca-Cola is today,so no real importance can be placed on the fact that Ginger beer bottles were found inside No.13 Millers Court.

Best regards,

Edgar

Jeff leahy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

We recently created a 3D model of Kelly's room. We came to the conclusion that her bed would not have been flat against the partician, given her profession it would probably have been impracticle if not a little noisy for those the other side. However the exact distance is harder to predict. We did however place a tin bath under her bed (based on the testomony of her clean apron's she would have needed washing facilities) a copy of the Fishermans widow courtesy of Andy Aliffe, a broken wine glass with candel, cupboard, table chairs, two windows... fire place we left plain but large as it was suggested this end of teh building had once been the kitchen.

Hope this helps Jeff

Scott Suttar
Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

I have read about your reconstruction on the boards. Is there any way that we can all get to see it? Sorry if I have missed this somewhere.

Scotty.

Jeff Leahy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well its finished and in very large files, now on disc as we had to wipe the Avid when it started playing up. I'm afraid I'm in a waiting game for further finance but if I can figure a way of getting them online I will.

I have a freind who's pretty hot with websites and I have some broad band space but whether it would be enough I dont know. Kelly's bedroom did look great but it needs alot more work to get it totally accurate and this takes time and money.

Will keep you updated if I can get the roughs online..it would be interesting to get some feedback to help the development.

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.