Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The disappearing No 29 Aldgate High S... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » The disappearing No 29 Aldgate High Street! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 806
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper there is an article by our very own AP Wolf. It contains this passage:
"... if any of the Ripperologists really want to know who Jack the Ripper was then they should find out who used to live at No 29 Aldgate High Street, just off Whitechapel High Street. Because that is where Catherine Eddowes decided to go when she was roaring drunk, where she was subsequently arrested..."

In confirmation of this the following statement was made at the Eddowes inquest:
City-constable Lewis Robinson, 931, deposed: At half-past eight, on the night of Saturday, Sept. 29, while on duty in High-street, Aldgate, I saw a crowd of persons outside No. 29, surrounding a woman whom I have since recognised as the deceased.

Howver the plot thickens as according the census data for 1881, 1891 and 1901 this address did not exist!
I have searched all three returns with the following results:

Aldgate High Street

28 Algate High Street
Henry Phillips (Head) aged 53 - Furniture Dealer
Julia Phillips (Wife) aged 48
Abraham Phillips (Son) aged 28 - Buyer of Furniture
Aaron Phillips (Son) aged 25 - Furniture salesman
Phillip Phillips (son) aged 23 - Furniture salesman
Abigail Phillips (Daughter) aged 21
Cecilia Darton (Servant) aged 24 - Domestic servant
Alice Russell (Servant) aged 18 - Domestic servant

30 Aldgate High Street
Uninhabited

31 Aldgate High Street
John H James (Head) aged 56- Tobacco cutter
Maria S James (Wife) aged 58

28 Aldgate High Street
Henry Phillips (Head) aged 42 - Furniture dealer
Julia Phillips (Wife) aged 39
Abraham Phillips (Son) aged 18 - Furniture dealer
Francis Phillips (Daughter) aged 17
Aaron Phillips (Son) aged 15
Phillip Phillips (Son) aged 13
Abagail Phillips (Daughter) aged 11
Alice Farwell (Servant) aged 25

30 Aldgate High Street
John Cole (Head) aged 69 - Ironmonger
Louisa M Cole (Daughter) aged 47
Edith Cole (Grand daughter) aged 19
Jane Smith (Niece) aged 23

The 1901 census address listing goes straight from No 28 to No 30 Aldgate High Street
For all three returns I have looked at a few houses either side of those transcribed above to make sure this was not a listing for one side of the road with even numbers

Any comments on this or explanations would be more than welcome!
Chris

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chris

As with so many things, this question was discussed on the old message boards, and our late friend, Adrian M. Phypers (Viper) said at that time, that 29 Aldgate High Street did not exist. I recall that Viper was going to look into the matter but I can't remember what the upshot of his investigation was, if anything. If anyone has the CD Rom they might search for the topic. I have the Message Boards CD-Rom (much recommended, folks!) but can't locate it at this moment. sad

All my best

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on December 30, 2003)

Natalie Severn
Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,I"m not in London at the moment so havent access to my books etc but I seem to remember reading that Kate was outside the Post Office in Aldgate High Street.Possibly this wasnt
included in the census because noone did live there-if it was a big general post office? However I may well be mistaken about this.
All the Best
Natalie

AP Wolf
Chief Inspector
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have already apologised for this many times, so I ain’t going to do it again. If I remember correctly the address - as Natalie points out - had some sort of postal connection at that time, but, and this is probably a big ‘but’, at the time of the crimes in 1888 it was thought to be a ‘common’ hotel above the furniture store and makers. I like that suggestion for it saves my bacon.
Postal directories are available for the years concerned and that should settle the matter, however I do feel it worthwhile to hold in mind that an entire department had been set up within Scotland Yard at that exact time to control and licence the common lodging houses and hotels of the Whitechapel area simply because so many of them were operating illegally and were not registered as such.
I have always entertained the suspicion that the address we speak of was such.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 807
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
Many thanks for your comments - I did not remember this from the old boards and as I have just reread both the Mammoth Boom and your own volume it stuck in my mind
Your notes above make sense and there must have been many such unlicensed and illegal establishments, especially in the East End
Hope all is well and thanks to all for the comments
Chris

David O'Flaherty
Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Chrises George and Scott, AP, and Natalie:

Here's Viper's post, which I think Chris George is referring to: Casebook Message Boards: Ripper Victims: Specific Victims: Catherine Eddowes: Catherine Eddowes (General Discussion): Archive through March 03, 2001

In the late 1860s numbers 28 and 29 were both used by a wine importer. In about 1870 he sold up and the properties were taken on by a Henry Phillips, furniture warehouseman. A year or two later his Kelly’s entry of 28-29 AHS becomes plain no. 28. The most likely explanation is that Phillips converted the two properties into one and only needed the one mailing address.

Presumably when PC Robinson arrested Eddowes he glanced at the adjacent buildings (still numbered), and simply assumed he was outside no. 29 - as would once have been the case, of course.
Regards, V.

A combined Nos. 28 & 29 would have made a good space for the furniture store Chris Scott found.

The confusion regarding the hotel comes about because, as Viper posted on another thread, there were two streets called Aldgate--Aldgate Street (where the hotel was) and Aldgate High Street (where Eddowes was arrested).

Adam Wood had found the listing for the hotel in Goad's Insurance Map:

29/30/31 William Smith & Co., Tailors - with Hotel over

This second thread can be found on the CD: Casebook Message Boards: Ripper Suspects: Specific Suspects: Contemporary Suspects [ 1888 - 1910 ]: Cutbush, Thomas

Cheers,
Dave

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, David:

Many thanks for reproducing the post by Viper giving the answer to this mystery. I had felt certain that the intrepid Viper had provided the answer to this question and am glad to see that indeed he had.

All my best

Chris

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question:

Were houses numbered consecutively in 1888, as opposed to even numbers on one side of the street and odd numbers on the other? I ask this because on modern Hanbury Street Nos. 28 and 30 are opposite the former site of no. 29 (i.e., opposite the present brewery). Is this just modern numbering?

Andy S.

Jennifer D. Pegg
Inspector
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you know andrew i was just wondering the same thing, if no 28 were knocked thru with anything the way we number streets its more likley to be 26 or 30 so i assume there is a difference or we sahould be looking for 29 between 27 and 31
jennifer

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew and Jennifer
From the census work I have done there does seem to be no consistent rules. I have found streets with the modern system (i.e. odd numbers on one side and even on the other) but plenty of examples (like Aldgate High Street) where the numbers run consecutively along a single side of the road/street
Chris

Scott Nelson
Sergeant
Username: Snelson

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The numbers ran consecutively on both sides of the street, numbers 1 through 42 on the north side [from west to east] and numbers 43 through 85 on the south side [from east to west]. There were occasional lapses where buildings had been knocked through and combined with adjacent premises.

Suzi Hanney
Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all..just picked this one up.. I too have been on the search for the elusive no 29 to no (or not much avail!) The 'other side of the road' theory may have some credence though..well??
Suzi

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.