Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

International Detective's Conference ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » International Detective's Conference St. Louis 1889 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ben harroll
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The P.I. Museum has a glass magnifier that is 3 inches across and 5/8 inches thick and weighs 9 ounces; see it at www.pimuseum.com.

On the face are the words...

INTERNATIONAL DETECTIVE'S CONFERENCE
ST.LOUIS

Can anyone help me to learn more about such a conference that may have been held in 1889?

Perhaps the conference was an opportunity for the detectives working on solving the Jack The Ripper case to come together and share what they knew?

Thank You, Ben Harroll

Gaslamp Quarter Investigations
P.I. Museum / Founder & Curator
923 Island Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101

619.239.6991 Voice
619.239.6992 Fax
benharroll@cox.net
www.pimuseum.com
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Ben

The glass magnifier visible on your site with the inscription INTERNATIONAL DETECTIVE'S CONFERENCE ST. LOUIS 1889 is most interesting. I should think if there were no presentations on the Whitechapel murders at the conference, and of course there might well have been, there would have been discussion of the crimes among the attendees at the least, I should think.

I would think a way to research this would be to do so in several ways. First, through newspapers, and perhaps the intrepid Chris Scott can come up with some newspaper articles on the conference, perhaps from St. Louis or midwestern newspapers. Second, there possibly may be information on the conference in the private letters or journals of detectives. For example, I would be surprised if there is not something in the Pinkerton archives about the conference. In any case, you might be in a good position to research that aspect. Third, I note a listing for The 79th Annual World Association of Detectives Conference in Moscow August 23 to 29 and perhaps such organizations might know of such past international conferences and who attended them.

Thanks, Ben, for bringing this intriguing artifact to our attention. As an aside, I would be interested in carrying an article on your museum in Ripperologist. Please feel free to contact me.

Best regards

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
editorctrip@yahoo.com
http://www.ripperologist.info

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.