Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Murder weapon identified Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Murder weapon identified « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ragnarok
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jack the Ripper's murder weapon, shown with artists impression of the Ripper. http://mysite.freeserve.com/iragnarok/jacktheripper.jpg

Eduardo Zinna
Sergeant
Username: Eduardo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! If I didn't know better I would say the Ripper loooks like Uma Thurman carrying a samurai sword in Kill Bill.

Neil K. MacMillan
Detective Sergeant
Username: Wordsmith

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shouldn't that be Jill the ripper? I mean granted, we don't know for sure but the outfit definately isn't of the proper period and the weapon isn't what Bagster Phillips surmised was the weapon. Neil

A. Bunker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This brings up a question I have. Don Rumbelow's knife is said to be the actual weapon the Ripper used. How is this verified? Where did the athorities get this knife? And according to master criminologist (and one of my hereos) John Douglas there were at least two knifes used. So what's the story on the knife?

Gina xxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The site is amazing!!
It really helps me with my history work!
p.s. Eduardo Zinna, i thought this picture of uma thurman was meant to be showing Jack the ripper following a woman!!!

Gina xxx
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The site is amazing!!
It really helps me with my history work!
p.s. Eduardo Zinna, i thought this picture of uma thurman was meant to be showing Jack the ripper following a woman!!!

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi A. Bunker

The story of the knife in the possession of Don Rumbelow is a bit long and involved. Don spoke about the knife in answer to a question from an interested audience member at the Brighton Jack the Ripper convention in October.

The knife, originally one of a pair of late nineteenth century postmortem knives, is thought that to have been in the possession of Scotland Yard and to have been possibly found at one of the murder scenes, but neither of these suppositions is known for certain and they are not documented in any official way.

What we do know is that the pair of knives that had been in a box lined with bloodstained velvet when they came into the possession of a Miss Dorothy Stroud in 1937. She was given the case with the knives by Hugh Pollard, the sporting editor of Country Life, who told her the knives had belonged to Jack the Ripper.

Since Pollard, an eccentric character with Fascist views (he is known to have flown a swastika flag over his country mansion), was a partner of gunsmith Robert Churchill who worked with Scotland Yard on a number of notable cases, it was thought that the knife had good provenance.

Ms. Stroud gave one knife away and burned the box. She used the knife for carving and for gardening purposes, during which the knife was broken. The knife does not entirely match the knife or knives described by the doctors who examined the Whitechapel victims, having a bevelled edge, and does not comply with the postmortem findings that the Ripper's knife had a sharpened point.

Chris

(Message edited by Chrisg on December 07, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris--Hi. This is not quite the same understanding I have. I thought Nick Warren interviewed Ms. Stroud and was told by her that the knife did originally have a sharpened point. When she broke the knife in the garden, she had the bevelled end added at a cutlery shop. RP

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1710
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi RJ

Thanks for that, R.J. I gave the story based on how it is related by Begg et al. in A to Z and on what Don said in Brighton. I will admit that what I said about the knife's lack of a pointed end comes from A to Z and I can't remember what if anything Don said about the point vs. the knife's now evident beveled edge.

As I recall, Don's explanation as given in Brighton was mainly addressed at answering how the knife came into his possession and the possible way that Pollard got it through connections with Scotland Yard and he did not address the knife's specifications vis à vis what the doctors said about the killer's probable murder - mutilation knife.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.