Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The 'Official Album'. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » The 'Official Album'. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2969
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I discover that Scotland Yard kept an ‘official album’ of all anonymous and other letters sent to officials in high places and the like… one wonders what happened to it?
This does mean that somewhere we should be able to find the letters that Thomas Cutbush wrote to Lord Grimthorpe and others.
Hopefully Robert might post the relevant data if I ever sober up enough to get them to him.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5387
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These are the pages.

Robert

HRAK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear AP Wolf:
A document under the control of Scotland Yard that contains incontrovertible proof of the pathology of THC? Filed safely where it is supposed to be?
Surely, this must be wishful thinking?

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2972
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You see, my wishful thinking is not at all that wishful.
For I know that there are two retired Scotland Yard officers out there who have massively depleted the files of Scotland Yard when it comes to the case of Thomas Cutbush.
This to the ends that they might write their own book and become the cop that solved the case.
But you see, they are in the awful situation of knowing that if they publish that information then the world will know that they nicked it, and they will be breaking the law.
That aint so good for an ex cop with publishing ambitions.
We have seen on many occasions in this case where retired police officers have possessed what I would term as ’peculiar’ and ‘unique’ access to information not normally available to the public at large.
They are breaking the law, and essentially ruining the public confidence that we have in them as officers of the law.

I hope to break them before they make the date of public clearance for the information they hold.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Knowing that such a file existed at the time of the Whitechapel Murders, and the arrest and detention of Thomas Cutbush is very useful indeed, even though the file - if still around - might have been plundered recklessly since then.
Sticky fingers and all that.
The authorities at Scotland Yard were obviously well aware of Thomas’ dangerous bent for sending threatening letters, as Macnaghten acknowledges in his Memo, listing the Treasury, Lord Grimthorpe and Dr Brooks as recipients of such.
One assumes Scotland Yard were aware because the people concerned had obviously complained to them, and the letters passed on to the Yard for action.
But no action was taken.
Perhaps a simple slap on the wrist for Thomas from uncle Charles?
Probably an assurance from uncle Charles to his superior officer that it would not happen again?
All well and good at the Yard, then.
They had the letters on file and time moves on.
But then The Sun newspaper detonated their bomb, implying very strongly that Thomas Cutbush was Jack the Ripper.

Now what would a good cop do in this circumstance?
We know what the bad cops did.
But what would a good cop do?
Any good cop would have sat down at his desk with the Jack the Ripper file of letters on one side of his desk, and on the other side would have been the Thomas Cutbush letters, and then one by one he would compare the handwriting between the two files… and I would say that when he picked up the Lusk letter he very likely would have said: ‘Oh my God!’

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5399
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I wonder why they would be trying to ascertain his whereabouts on the nights of the murders. This would have been impossible at a remove of 2-3 years. One thing we can be sure of, though, and that is that Thomas wasn't in an asylum, or in France, or Scotland, at the times Jack struck. That much they surely would have established, if such had been the case.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.