Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

What keeps you interested? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » What keeps you interested? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Clem Epps
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am doing a presentation at University about Jack the Ripper, and we have to find out why there is still so much interest in Jack the Ripper and the Ripper case in general? If you could just help me out with regards to why you still find it interesting, it would be very much appreciated.
Thank You!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5333
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clem

First, it's an unsolved mystery.

Second, one begins to get interested in certain people regardless of whether or not they were the murderer, e.g. suicidal barrister Montague Druitt. Why did he kill himself? Why was he dismissed from his teaching position? etc.

Third, studying the JTR case is a good way to study Victorian history in general.

Robert

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clem,

There's something about that Victorian time period that's just very appealing. I'm not sure just what it is. Maybe it's anglophilia, a romantic notion of gaslit streets and Cockney accents, or maybe because it seems to me that the Victorians are a lot like we are today, in that we also straddle the same kind of grey area between mysticism and science that the Victorians did. I'm speaking specifically about the States, not having visited England. Here, we've got our psychics, our medical quacks, obsession with religion, etc. Some of us are still debating Darwinism. And without getting political or getting into the wrong or right of it, I think I'm correct in saying that like the British Empire did, we are also trying to export a way of life to other parts of the world. For example, I think a British person in 1888 would have said that people in India enjoyed a better life due to British colonization (we say democratization today). This is a surface comparison, as I'm still learning about the LVP and of course, it's hard to be objective about the times we're living in now.

Another interesting thing is that while the British Empire exported a brand of civilization to the world, meanwhile you've got not only the Ripper, but horrible East End living conditions as well, people starving to death in London, women selling themselves for bread.

I'm talking about the rough parts of the East End because it was a more complicated place than just a slum and haven for murderers and prostitutes. If you look at Booth's poverty map, a lot of East Enders did all right.

As Robert says, JtR is a great vehicle for learning about the late Victorian period because it takes you all over the place--East End lodging houses, Parliament, the Metropolitan Police, Victorian newspapers, theatre. And the people involved in writing and investigating the murders (and of course, those who were accused of committing them) are also interesting.

This is why people who claim that "Ripperologists" don't want the mystery to be solved because they'll have nothing left to talk about are wrong. There are layers and layers of interest that are really unaffected if we know who the Ripper was or not, just a lot of texture.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to know who JtR was, but there's a lot of other stuff that engages my interest.

Cheers,
Dave
PS I intially wrote "anglophobia"--I meant anglophilia :-)

(Message edited by oberlin on December 02, 2005)

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 644
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clem,

It's interested me for about 55 years because it's one of the classic unsolved murder cases and I'm very interested in classic unsolved murder cases. Although this case would certainly be in my top seven or eight, I'm not sure it would be my #1. In that regard, I suppose I'm a member of a very small if not unique minority here.

I also would like to find out who JTR is. It wouldn't really matter because there are many other cases out there to take its place.

Stan

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In addition to what Dave O' and Robert and Stan said...

Personally,I don't care whom JTR was.

I accept the probability that it may not be solved. I think many people are that way as well.

I'd be just as happy to see some suspects completely exonerated for good.

I enjoy the variety of approaches that one finds in Ripperology.

In one way Ripperology and people involved with perpetuating the study or discussion of the crimes and the times,are doing a justice to the two. Its akin to a "historical preservation society" in its own right.

Clem...One myth about the tribe you may want to comment on is that Ripperologists are a cadre of people who never get out of the house. This is simply false.

You've got poets,actors,historians,housewives,cops,and ex-cops....engineers,college professors and college students....accountants and machinists...writers and salesmen and great photographers...guys on the dole and ex-cons...ministers and agnostics and even mountain climbers. They're all represented. Despite differences of opinion, they have all spent time on contributing to the general pool of information.

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howard --

You've got poets,actors,historians,housewives,cops,and ex-cops....engineers,college professors and college students....accountants and machinists...writers and salesmen and great photographers...guys on the dole and ex-cons...ministers and agnostics and even mountain climbers. They're all represented. Despite differences of opinion, they have all spent time on contributing to the general pool of information.

Don't forget the artists, teachers, lorry drivers and patient listeners, Darlin'. Otherwise, I think you about summed it up nicely.

Love,

Lyn
Although present on the occasion, I have no clear recollection of the events leading up to it.
Winston Churchill

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

Here on Casebook, you can debate your thoughts on a mystery that was never solved with a variety of people, some who can claim they are experts, ex-professionals and some are just ordinary people who read books. This allows one to expand their own thoughts and it provides 'brain-food'.

LEANNE

David Radka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ripperology is a test of manhood. I came, I saw, I conquered.
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5344
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David

I guess it will be an interesting experience for the women on the Boards to have their manhood tested.

Robert

David Radka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 7:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Linford,

I guess we'll just have to ask Oprah about that.
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 2:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clem,

I think it is the mystery that keeps me interested. The ripper murders are the uitmate who dun it. A real life game of clue. If the case had been solved, I doubt that there would be so much interest.

Jack the ripper was the first boogie man a real life Jason and Freddie. So many have ivested there hard earned money going to see Jason get his, or Freddie get mangled. They know he will always come back. Fortunatly Jack wont be back. Unfortunatly we may never get the satisfaction of pulling off his mask.

I am not much of a crime buff. I was drawn in by an old Sherlock Holms movie called Murder by Decree. I love the time period.

Your friend, Brad

David T
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

}Hi Clem,

For me personally, it’s like this:

The murder was very cunning. He perpetrated the most heinous act of murdering and mutilating prostitutes right on the street or what would be considered public places. And he did it over and over again without getting caught. Even when the East End of London was flooded with an additional police presents to catch the killer in the act, he was still was able to commit murder and elude detection. This seems so incredible (at least to me).
I realize the time of night the murders were committed, the police investigation methods and other factors add to the reasons for why he was never caught – but still.

The case is littered with so many “ifs”. At any time during the murder spree, if someone would have come around a corner to witness a murder or if someone had a good look at the killer’s face when he was with the victims prior to the crimes or if the killer had taken too much time to commit his crimes, he probably would have been caught. And I probably wouldn’t be posting this here now.

Additionally, authors continue to write about the crimes. I’m thinking specifically about Patricia Cornwell’s book and her claim of finding the killer (artist Walter Sickert) using modern DNA testing. This made news and generated more interest. Although I don’t agree with her conclusion, the publishing of her book sort of pushed me further into the subject.

Best regards.

Dave

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 2:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Clem,

I think it is the mystery that keeps me interested. The ripper murders are the uitmate who dun it. A real life game of clue. If the case had been solved, I doubt that there would be so much interest.

Jack the ripper was the first boogie man a real life Jason and Freddie. So many have ivested there hard earned money going to see Jason get his, or Freddie get mangled. They know he will always come back. Fortunatly Jack wont be back. Unfortunatly we may never get the satisfaction of pulling off his mask.

I am not much of a crime buff. I was drawn in by an old Sherlock Holms movie called Murder by Decree. I love the time period.

Your friend, Brad

Clem Epps
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Just a quick note to thank you all for your feedback on the reason why you are interested in the case still - it really helped us put together our presentation, and we used some of your quotes in it. Thanks again, we really appreciate you taking the time to help.
From Clem Epps

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.