Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Foreign Looking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Foreign Looking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 3:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day guys,

I'd love to know what 'Foreign Looking' means as in context to all the witness reports.

I know I'd fair dinkum look bloody foreign in Etheopia or Mexico, geez, I've got enough problems here in England where no-one speaks Australian, but me and me mate are working on something and know that Jack would have stood out like an Emu amongst a bunch of 'Roos.

So give me some ideas about what you reckon 'Foreign' is.

Cheers
Jules

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 858
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules,

It seems to have been an euphemism at the time for "Jewish looking." This is given added credence when you consider George Hutchinson's statement (putting aside whether you buy it or not). He told the police that the man he saw with MJK was "Jewish" in appearance, but the British newspapers made that "appeared foreign." The American newspaper, however, used the word Jewish when reporting on Hutchinson's statement.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1915
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Jules,

I have just finished reading a story from 'Ripper Notes' by Stewart P. Evans, (who is a retired police officer), talking about the inadequecies contained in witness statements during the Ripper case. It suggests further questions that Sgt. Badham should have asked George Hutchinson during this interrogation, and stresses the inadequacy of the report compared to modern-day witness statements.

One aspect it deals with is Hutchinson's claim to the police that his suspect was of 'Jewish appearance' and how when Hutchinson spoke to the press this became: 'foreign appearance'. It would seem that in 1888, 'foreign appearance' equalled 'Jewish appearance'.

But what made Hutchinson say the man was of 'Jewish appearance'? Was it his accent? These are questions Hutchinson should have been asked.

LEANNE

Ben Holme
Sergeant
Username: Benh

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is essential, of course, to entertain the possibility that George Hutchinson's witness sighting was a mere fabrication, and that his "suspect" was little more than a thinly veiled attempt to deflect supicion in the direction of the Jewish population of London's East End.

Harry Mann
Inspector
Username: Harry

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 5:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A foreigner would have been anyone not of Anglo-Saxon appearance.
How did an Anglo-Saxon appear.According to my school teacher,decidely superior to colonials and foreigners.

Nicholas Smith
Detective Sergeant
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day all,

I guess what I was leading to was that 'Jack' might have been Asian or 'Orietal'. Some of the best swords and knives come from China and Japan and back in Jacks days there would have been a small population of Asians in Whitechapel.

Maybe our Jack wasn't Jewish at all?

Jules

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jules,

Foreign would really mean dark, but not too dark.
Asians would not be included in this category. Think Sicilians, Portugese, Spanish, Jewish, that sort of thing.

Cheers
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Stef Kukla
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Barlow once said [of Elizabeth Long]:

"She knew he'd done 'An Orrible Murder!' -- and anyone who could do 'An Orrible Murder' would've looked like a foreigner."

Seriously; even the working-class in England were not above such snobberies.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.