Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Sexual Serial Killer or not? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Sexual Serial Killer or not? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through December 11, 2005Nicholas Smith50 12-11-05  7:01 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 664
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"He actually attacked their ‘reproductive’ and ‘nurturing’ organs and seemed to steer clear of what might be termed as ‘sexual’ zones of the female body."

His handiwork makes me think of a petulant, curious child wondering how the innards might look.

A child with a very large knife, mind you.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

David Radka
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dradka

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If he's "attacking their reproductive and nurturing organs," why not consider him as having a beef with mothers? Why does nobody but me think of this highly rational explanation? Why think of him as a "petulant, curious child?"
David M. Radka
Author: "Alternative Ripperology: Questioning the Whitechapel Murders"
Casebook Dissertations Section

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5377
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually David, I for one tend to go along with both the "beef with mothers" and the "petulant, curious child."

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2951
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say the distinction here is between ‘realistic’ and ‘unrealistic’ crime, in that we can have a genuine sexual serial killer, such as Ted Bundy, who has entirely realistic intentions and motives for his attacks on women.
He wants sex with them.
Then we have the unrealistic type of attacker, whose motives and intentions remain largely unknown to us - and them as well probably - who attacks women in a manner that appears to be entirely chaotic in its nature and purpose.
As human beings it appears to be our role to bring order out of chaos, so hence we develop labels for such attacks so at least they fit comfortably into a category that we understand.
We say to ourselves, we know there was no obviously sexual motive here but if we are imaginative we can see that a sexual motive is better than a chaos we do not understand.

It is gratifying to record that many of the senior officials involved in the Whitechapel Murders did not share the view that the crimes were of sexual motive, but instead saw the crimes as completely normal cases of murder with completely normal motives behind them.
It is also pertinent to point out that in very similar crimes which occurred between 1886 and 1889 involving the murder and mutilation of females - with the same degree of violence - there is no mention of a possible sexual motive by any of the officials concerned.
Nor by folk today.
But the Whitechapel Murderer?
Of course he was they say.

My impression is that a lot of folk experience very real difficulties here when they attempt to scrabble together the past and the now, and can only see events and situations through their very modern conceptions and ideas, without allowing the true social conditions and influences of the Late Victorian Period to influence them in any form or manner.
It is a form of blindness which leads us stumbling up the Whitechapel Road in total darkness, bumping into gas lamps and apologising to them profusely.

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 665
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Actually David, I for one tend to go along with both the "beef with mothers" and the "petulant, curious child." "

So do I. I think they complement each other.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Robert & Sir Robert.
Anyways I don't know where David gets the idea from that he is the only person on this planet to have thought of a 'beef with mother' as motive.
The Cutbush family used to sit down to a traditional bit of roast beef every Sunday, and Thomas would stab his mother and aunt, and then uncle Charles would shoot himself in the head.
I think Thomas to be have been a curious and petulant child.
A 'spoilt' child some might say.

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Radka - What if I was to tell you that the murderer's motive wasn't particularly important to me? Would you think I was speaking Chinese? Or even Colney Hatchese?

'Guest' above insists that we must separate all these murderers into different glass cases so that we can understand them and their motives.

Why should I believe that the murderer's "motive" ought to be considered the same thing as the "explanation"? Bundy gave a dozen explanations for his crimes in a myriad of interviews. Do you think he understood himself?

Was the 'explanation' of Albert Fish cannibalism and sex? Was satanism the 'explanation' of Ramirez? Extortion the 'explanation' of Neill Cream? Was mutilation (sexual or otherwise) the 'explanation' of Jack the Ripper?

Or are these just suits of clothing, and no one is bothering to look inside the closet from where they are coming? RP

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think someday they will find a genetic mutation, fortunately rare, that causes this stuff. When the geneticists have identified this gene we will find out what protein the abberrant form codes for. Or maybe if it is nonfunctional what the normal gene codes for that these people are missing.

Just today I read that oxytocin has been linked to the ability to trust others. It shuts down the amygdala which is the part of the brain that generates fear.

Autistics, who are many times afraid to make eye contact with others and who find it difficult to sustain social interaction are lacking in this important neurotransmitter.

I'm not suggesting that autistics are serial killers, only that if we can explain one problem on this level we can explain others the same way.

Actually what Jack did seems much more aligned with rage than fear. I wonder which neurotransmitter shuts down anger and what its neuronal locus is? I wonder if Jack had enough of it and if what he had was functional?

The geneticists are smart enough not to get themselves tangled in politically sensitive issues because they look to the government for funding. So probably the identification of a gene for psychopathology is far, far down the road. Because make no mistake it is a political hot potato.

What do we do once we have this information? Start testing everyone? And what do we do with the children who are found to have it? Nobody wants to touch that.

Which brings me to another point. This whole thread is about what motivated Jack. We need to look at the other side too. Not just the accelerator but the (defective in his case) brakes. I love dark chocolate. Would I go to the Godiva Chocolate Store and murder the salesperson just to get a big bag of it? Hopefully not.

Whatever a human being craves, unless he has impulse control at some level, he will do unspeakable things to get it. I think that in addition to having ungodly urges an SK has to have defective "brakes". Most of us learn at a very early age that when you want something, you don't just snatch it from whoever has it. We learn that if you are mad at somebody it is not a good idea to punch their face, however much we might want to. A small minority of us never learn this. The rest learn to contain their urges and only daydream of what they would like to do if they could. They have enough sense not to.

(Message edited by diana on December 12, 2005)

Nicholas Smith
Inspector
Username: Diddles

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Rob, everyone.

It's been a human mentality to 'compartmentalise' people into catogories for decages if not centuries. In earlier centuries there were status's which people didn't aspire to because they weren't 'High' born.

These days it's easy for us to put people into boxes so we know where we stand and where they stand. I don't give a rats arse about that, as far as I'm concerned people are people and I don't give a stuff where they come from.

Jack did though.

Jules

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Mr. Radka - What if I was to tell you that the murderer's motive wasn't particularly important to me? Would you think I was speaking Chinese? Or even Colney Hatchese?"

>>Well, RJ, if that's the way you see things, I've got a perfect JtR candidate for you: Severin Klosowski. Here was a man who was located at the right place at the right time, committed a known murder series of women albeit by poisoning them, was suspected by Abberline, had a possible additional murder in New Jersey, fit the murderer's description, had a sailor's suit, and so on. If you want to delete the sexual motive, and indeed all motives from the Whitechapel murders, then the difference between Klosowski's known crimes and JtR's disappears. Then all you've got to do is locate some kind of incriminating letter or memorandum by some police official saying Severin's the one, and you've got a theory. Additionally, various other candidates might fit the same way.
David M. Radka

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP,

I would say the distinction here is between ‘realistic’ and ‘unrealistic’ crime, in that we can have a genuine sexual serial killer, such as Ted Bundy, who has entirely realistic intentions and motives for his attacks on women.
He wants sex with them.

Er, most heterosexual men want sex with women, or so I gather. It was never a realistic motive for someone like Bundy to attack them simply in order to get it.

Hi Diana,

Whatever a human being craves, unless he has impulse control at some level, he will do unspeakable things to get it. I think that in addition to having ungodly urges an SK has to have defective "brakes".

I'm not so sure. Can you have selectively defective brakes - ie only defective when the circumstances are exactly right for getting away with murder and mutilation, but in perfect working order whenever the chances are that you'll get caught?

These creatures are crafty as hell, and almost all heterosexual serial killers attack women exclusively, and try their very best not to pay for it with their freedom.

But the reasons for an individual doing this can only be guessed at by anyone who does not have similar 'ungodly urges'. (And who is to say that the ungodly urge isn't the only reason - a reason in itself, which may get mixed up in some murderous minds with sex, on account of the latter being another powerful urge lurking very near the surface?)

So I'd actually be worried if anyone claimed to know for sure what made such people tick - or what didn't make them tick.

Love,

Caz
X

(Message edited by caz on December 13, 2005)

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2959
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz
Ted Bundy was 'speed dating'.

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 901
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree that fear is a good set of brakes for most people including a lot of serial killers. If the danger is immanent a lot of SKs seem to act on a level of self preservation and withdraw.

But if the danger is hypothetical or distant I suspect they actually enjoy outsmarting the authorities. I have read that a lot of these people actually enjoy risk.

The line between immanent and hypothetical is going to be in a different place for each person.

How many people do you suppose are walking around with unholy impulses and good brakes? I think we would be surprised.

How many people would be willing to do wrong if they were absolutely assured that there would be no consequences? I think we would be surprised again and not happily.

Those who do right because of ethics or devotion to God alone are probably in the minority.

Sorry, I take a dim view of human nature.

MF
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr. Radka,
You're right to approach the Ripper crimes from the study of psychopathology. I've read Robert Hare and you're certainly right on the mark. It's better than approaching it from motive or a pet suspect.
However, from what I have gathered, Psychopathy as a starting point will generally lead you as far away from Eastern Europeans as you can get. Protitute killing is a hyper-establishment type of psychopathic act. Eastern Europeans may be capable of such acts but, like our central and southern Europeans, usually under certain circumstances. Circumstances I like to call The Night Of The Generals.
Hans Hellmut Kirst was very intuitive in his prostitute killer story. Military exposure, often in conjunction with the occult, is almost always a feature of European/ethnic serial/prostitute killers.
We had one Italian prostitute killer and he was from Argentina.
http://p076.ezboard.com/fbutchykeyboy5326frm7.showMessage?topicID=1183.topic
Neill Cream who committed similar crimes to Jack was from Wolfe's Cove (as in General James Wolfe).

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Radkov-- You're right to some extent; I don't dismiss Klosowski in the way that the lust-based theorists generally do. I see him as having the same gas tank and cruising down the same highway. Only (like you I think) I dismiss Klosowski as too rational. He's happy staying one or two steps removed from his gratification. His form of the mania isn't as pure as the Ripper's; he doesn't feel the need to go grandstanding. Now, if you will excuse me.... experts, sexperts, choking smokers...don't you think...? RP

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe Lennon's lyric was:

"Expert, textpert, choking smokers don't you think the joker laughs at you?
Ho ho ho, hee hee hee, ha ha ha."

What can this mean? Is RJ showing us all up as being laughed at by the joker?
David M. Radka

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MF wrote:

"Protitute killing is a hyper-establishment type of psychopathic act. Eastern Europeans may be capable of such acts but, like our central and southern Europeans, usually under certain circumstances. Circumstances I like to call The Night Of The Generals."

>>I like strange posts like this, from unidentified people. I am able to receive communications from far in the ether, and welcome them. I'd like MF to develop this idea further. I can't quite grasp the whole of it. Thank you.
David M. Radka

David Radka
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dismiss Klosowski basically because I see him as a sociopath but not a psychopath. Yes, he was more rational than JtR was, especially in this sense: The average person can at least hypothetically understand why he would do what he did. Certainly killing off your common-law wives isn't something that can be justified, but at least it can be understood. Use a woman for awhile, and when things start getting a bit too cozy and lovey-dovey, simply get rid of and replace her. I'm not saying a psychopath would be incapable of doing something like Klosowski did, I'm just saying that it appears to make some sense. Whereas a psychopath almost always has a real black hole in his planning. He takes risks gratuitously, needlessly, boastfully. Klosowski is to me like Al Capone, JtR like Bundy. The first type is antisocial for a purpose, the second for no purpose.
David M. Radka

Sir Robert Anderson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 667
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"He's happy staying one or two steps removed from his gratification"

Not too far removed....he's living in intimate contact with the victims he's poisoning...That's pretty up close and personal in my book.
Sir Robert

'Tempus Omnia Revelat'

Lindsey C Hollifield
Chief Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 559
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe Lennon's lyric was:

"Expert, textpert, choking smokers don't you think the joker laughs at you?
Ho ho ho, hee hee hee, ha ha ha."

What can this mean? Is RJ showing us all up as being laughed at by the joker?

Nope to the first question, Hon. Was there another?

Love,

Lyn x
My first reaction is, "OMG that's crazy". But then I'm thinking this just may be crazy enough to work.
copyright © Bradley McGinnis Sept. 2005

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 2:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David. What the hell are you talking about? For me, my woman being cozy and lovey-dovey is the only thing that keeps me sane.

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Of course this applies to no one here, but I can imagine there are people who hold such disdain for others that coziness isn’t really all that appealing. Since love is really a drug, I wonder whether Klosowski was chasing the dragon. We’ve all got this ideal of romantic love, but you know how love sometimes goes. For awhile, the world is really magical. Life is all about going around saying, “Wow, wow, wow! I can’t get enough of this person! All I can think about is how this person makes me feel so good!” Then the drug wears off and suddenly one morning you’re sitting across the breakfast table, thinking, “My God, what did I ever see in you? You’re the reason I’m so miserable.” Suddenly the person who was so great before is now really thick and ordinary. Cow-like. The world is no longer magical. You’ve been let down in a very personal way. Most people either just grit their teeth, say “Good morning” and put up with it or get divorced. If you’re off like Klosowski was, you get some entertainment from slowly poisoning her—after all, it’s her fault he’s so miserable (he might think). Besides, you see another woman who makes the world magical again. So he starts the whole cycle all over again, a cycle that he’s both in charge of and a victim of, just like a drug addict chasing the dragon.

Besides being a serial killer, I think Klosowski was also a serial monogamist, one of these energy vampires that sometimes one runs into. He was anti-social the way the vampire is anti-social—eventually, no matter what happens, he’s going to need to kill you, but first he also needs you, because without the source of psychic nourishment he’s dead himself. I think that’s a sort of twisted, accelerated socialism rather than a disdain for it. I bet for Klosowski, his confinement was a lot worse than the hanging.

Dave

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 914
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to find out how someone could wind up doing what Jack did and not be sexually motivated read the following. It curdled my blood. http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/lucas/womb_2.html

After reading more of it I did find out he went on to become a sexual predator, but this sad tale illustrates how hatred of a mother could mingle with the other and create a deadly cocktail.

Maybe the reason so many of these guys had horrible overbearing mothers was genetic. Maybe like hemophilia or color blindness, they have to inherit psychopathy from mom.}

(Message edited by diana on December 19, 2005)

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm still modifying my views on this. Sexuality in isolation is pure physiology. Animals do it. It can be compared to eating, a physiological act which is pleasurable and necessary for the sustenance of life. In isolation sexuality is niether positive or negative. It takes its meaning from the context which is created by the circumstances and the people involved.

It is unfortunate that the English language uses the word love to refer to it. Love is a deep, all consuming commitment to the wellbeing of another. It may or may not involve sexuality, but if it does it accords dignity to the other party and is centered on mutual fulfillment such as in a good marriage. On the other hand what a rapist does has nothing to do with love. Love comes in many forms not all of which are sexual. The love of a mother or father for a child, the love of a good friend, and the Love of God who sent His Son to die for us.

Love and sexuality are totally separate although one can be used to express the other. Sexuality is like a brush and canvas, it is a means of expressing that which is within the artist.

You won't fully understand what I am saying unless you read the linked material in my post above. When a child is raised in a home filled with nothing but hatred, anger, violence and degradation, those are the things that fill his mind and control his life. Like an artist who uses a brush and paint to express what is within, so the SKs and rapists of this world use sex as a means of self expression. If they hate all women, then their sexual expression will aim at making its object a victim instead of a partner, an outlet for their hatred and rage.

I think reading about the childhood of Henry Lee Lucas finally allowed me to see how this could be.

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But now I am looking at Dennis Rader. He says he had a normal childhood. He was apparently not driven by rage or hatred, only by an ungodly lust, and I believe also a terrible all-consuming need for attention. What created a Dennis Rader was not the same thing that created a Henry Lee Lucas.

They both were driven along by their own abnormal needs although those needs were different. The one point of commonality is that they were oblivious to the needs and rights of others. The brakes were defective. Whatever it is that holds one back from doing whatever enters ones head was missing.

So they operated on the basis of I see it, I want it, I take it. Maybe that is the only commonality that distinguishes a psychopath. They are incapable of the empathy that would restrain them from taking out their ungodly urges on others. The urges will vary with the person.

There are many damaged people out there. Many of them probably think about doing some really bizarre and awful things, but mercifully they usually don't.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ‘System of Legal Medicine’, 1900, New York, has some very interesting ‘example’ cases on this subject, and I’m hoping that Robert is able to put his bottle of Jameson’s down and post them for us all to read and study.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5477
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While AP's at the best restaurant, I shall be enjoying a bag of chips.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert
as I prod my whelks basted in garlic butter with a hint of tarragon I shall think of you with a bag of chips, and when they bring me my fourth Soberano - no ice, no mixer - I shall say 'here is to a true gent called Robert'.
And as I fall it to the well of the taxi at six in the morning I will say 'I know who did it!'
Thus will a new year begin, and an old one end.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

re human love- Here is to Elton and his partner,bless them,for celebrating their profound affection so openly and donating the wedding bash proceeds to the victims of AIDS.Just one of the beautiful moments that helped to make my year one of the best ever!
Natalie

Thomas C. Wescott
Chief Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 518
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP,

Have you ever recorded music with Daniel Johns, the lead singer of the Australian rock band, Silverchair? Just curious.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a curious question, Tom.
I'm going to be in Sydney in a couple of weeks time so I'll ask Paul Mac what the devil you are going on about.

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 3443
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone else feel lost and confused?
"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution"

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenny
i am too but am pretending not to be.

Natalie

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2443
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Nats,

I hear the ring was a bit loose though.

My brother and his partner plan to tie the knot soon, probably in Brighton. I'm hoping to be bridesmaid for the first time.

I won't ask how gay marriage found its way into your thoughts on a thread about sexual serial killers.

But I agree that Elton's was heartwarming. Nothing like Furnishing one's home for Christmas.

Love,

Caz
XXX

MF
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 2:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Klosowski human dynamic, which Mr. O'Flaherty has nailed, has to stand in sharp contrast to the dehumanized dynamic of a killer john and the prostitute-stranger. The latter is more like warfare than like love and war. The prostitute, however disenfranchised, is serving the establishment even unto death. Death at the hands of the establishment.
Movie treatments agree:
Night Of The Generals....prostitute killer....
East Of Eden, about a girl from Connecticut, the great frontier, lots of Generals and a prostitute killing....

Richard Jones
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These murders that Jack the Ripper did were from his own sexual desires, and "problems", or, he was making a point with these women. Having fun aw well. He liked the way they tasted for one. He loved his work. Now lets look at this same kind of person that is so into these kind of things, but lives in the day time.
Though one can be insane, they don't have to show it all the time. A killer such as him with such control, would show this same aspect during the day. It is a survival trait. How do you survive in a place that is going beserk b/c of you.....to not be there. He more than likely never lived there, and had a good knowledge of the place. He probably had a good knowledge of most of England. One thing is he probably did live close enough to take a carriage there and be prompt enough to leave without being noticed that much. Leaving the carriage a number of streets over is a good idea. I would say if he left on foot, it was all timed out, perfectly. This means he meticulously watched the police and the people around there. He also, more than likely, had at least one accomplice or none. Having an accomplice to help him attract the women would more then likely help him more and not let other people who were watching see his identity. Also, the weapon of choice....where did he get it from? What was it? A flexible piece no doubt, and very sharp. He would've sharpened the instrument himself. This man had a lot of privacy as well. To be able to have the things in his living area without anyone else around to see them would mean he probably had money. He is single. If you look at the letters, they seem deliberate in the way he wrote them. He simply played games. I would've tried my hardest to track at least the letter that came with the kidney, and the boss letter. If Jack the Ripper was a left handed person like they say, it doesn't show much to me. I think that he could also be a right handed person.

Alright, he is an educated man, with a bit of money, and knows the police routes and city. He knows where to be and where not to be. His intelligence seems to be well planned. He doesn't control all of it, of course. It all has to be forced though. All the murders that is. He also has to know where his victims live or go. Why wouldn't he kill a prominent lady? His kind, that is why.
This man could also be a retired police officer, or one who quit.
He has things to do b/w murders, so what is it that he does?

Usually an acrh nemisis is your best friend. Who is the best friend of police? The law maybe? A judge maybe?

This can be taking it too far, but the description fits. A judge has to have the ability to piece things together. An ex police officer can become a judge easily. I think there are few roads Jack the Ripper's personality can take. Using these things might help to find him.
One other thought is that he was a professor. That can fit a lot of who he was as a murderer. Also, you could've got books on medical things such as surgery in a library. Being a professor would give you a lot of access to many things to know about the city and medicine.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2768
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Caz,
A good question I admit.I thought I was following a thread that was about sex and love-all kinds of love,sexual love/love without sex/sex without love/
love of a mother for a child etc.Something seemed to be missing and I thought to myself ,"Is this the love that dares not speak its name?"
.....and so Elton"s statement was quite topical in a sense!

Your brother"s wedding sounds lovely Caz-----you must be pleased for your brother and his partner -and I bet you"ll look very cute as their bridesmaid!

MF
I can"t imagine any of JtR"s victim"s would have cared much whether his motive was "love and war"
or a "dehumanised dynamic"......
and I cant either see Jack the Ripper as having had a fatal dose of l"amour fou.....
more likely he had caught what he thought was a fatal dose of the clap!
Natalie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.