Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack The Ripper and the man behind him Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Jack The Ripper and the man behind him « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kenny
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear people,

Finnaly entered the fifth year:-) But, we need to make an assignment and we have chosen to do this around the topic of Jack The Ripper

So I just wanted you to ask, is Jamer Maybrick realy Jack The Ripper? I'm now reading the diary of... but there are things that make me doubt...
So are their other suspects that are investigated?

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kenny, Kenny, Kenny.

Are you reading this? If so, do you see that menu bar to the left?

Click on "Introduction".
Mags

Baron von Zipper
Inspector
Username: Baron

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James Maybrick is really Jimmy the Clipper, famous flying barber of the East End
Mike

"La madre degli idioti è sempre incinta"

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 2:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suspects?

Try:

(Those the police at the time fancied such as)

Aaron Kosminski (favoured by Anderson and Swanson and mentioned by Macnaghten,)
Michael Ostrog (unlikely, but mentioned by Macnaghten)
M J Druitt (Macnaghtens favoured candidate)
Neil Cream (Abberline is said to have mentioned him)

Others
HRH Prince Albert Victor (later Duke of Clarence) - Dr Stowell first advanced his name
J K Stephen - often linked to Clarence
Walter Sickert (unlikely but Patricia Cornwell fancies him)
Sir William Gull (see films Murder by Decree/From Hell or read Stephen Knight)
Dr Barnardo!!!
"Dr Stanley" (Leonard Matter's suspect)
Pedachenko (Donald McCormick)
Thomas Cutbush (consult AP Wolf)
D'Onston Stephenson
Joe Barnett
"Jill the Ripper"
A shochet (Odell)
"Uncle Jack" - recent book)
W H Bury
George Chapman
Francis Tumblety
various other doctors and vetinary students
Lewis Caroll (Charles Dodgson)

And that's just off the top of my head!! There's many more that have been proposed. Read the site and its resources and you'll find you have a LOT of reading and catching up to do for your project, I think.

Good luck,

Phil

AIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surely Anderson mentioned only a 'Poor Polish Jew', and not Kosminski by name?

Ostrog? - he was locked up in Paris at the time of the murders.

I thought Abberline mentioned George Chapman, not Cream?

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Phil Hill
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Phil

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AIP - surely Swanson's marginalia confirm that the un-named Jew referred to by Anderson was Kosminski? And this ties in with Macnaghten.

You may be right about Abberline - as I say it was done off the top of my head. (Whomever Abberline mentioned, I don't think ot matters.)

And Ostrog WAS a suspect, even if we NOW know he could not have done it.

Phil

AIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anderson never named his suspect. The 'Swanson marginalia' are unverified annotations of some 20 years plus later.

Ostrog "unlikely", no not unlikely - he wasn't the Ripper.

Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat.

Erin
Detective Sergeant
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 2:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Unverified"? You're grasping at straws, AIP. The Swanson Marginalia have been authenticated beyond a shadow of a doubt, as dear old Sir Robert put it. Kosminski was the suspect. Whether Mr. Swanson had the name right or mixed it up with another, similar-sounding name is another matter entirely, and not altogether implausible, at least in my humble opinion.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.