Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Animal Abuse Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Animal Abuse « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 837
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The link between serial killers and animal abuse has been documented.

1. When was the RSPCA founded?
2. Do they still have some of their old records?
3. How could these be accessed?

c.d.
Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

An interesting idea, but given the times, their idea of animal abuse might be quite a bit different from today's standards. I would think that animal "abuse" back then had to be quite egregious. Jack's deeds in this arena, however ghastly, might have gone unnoticed.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But it might have given the diarist another reason for picking on Maybrick.

It was believed that he poisoned his neighbours' dogs. And his wife Florie adored cats, so the packet they found in the house labelled 'Poison for Cats' is a bit of a mystery too.

Love,

Caz
X

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana
This is something I did think about some time ago, so I spent days reading through hundreds of police and court reports from the Whitechapel area from about 1860 to 1890.
There were societies and structures in place regarding animal welfare and the prosecution of people for cruelty.
99% of all the cases were obviously mistreated horses, but the occasional child cat killer does turn up… I followed a few through history in the hope of watching a killer develop, but only one looked hopeful, as he seemed to be building up quite a little career for violent offences, but then I lost him to history prior to 1888.
I believe I mentioned the man’s name over on the Shadows thread, but I’ll check again.
Good thought though.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.