Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

JTR and Hutchinson in Cahoots? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » JTR and Hutchinson in Cahoots? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 725
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was on another thread, marshalling an argument about why MJK could not have been a domestic.

One of my arguments was going to be that you have to get around Hutchinson. As improbable as Hutchinson's tale was, you still have to accept the fact that he was standing there just before or during the murder. We only have his word for it as to when he left.

If he was not JTR and he had seen Barnett go into that room, he would have described Barnett for the police, not some astrakhan clad bogey. In fact, why did he make up astrakhan man at all? Why not tell who he saw going in there and collect the reward? After all his goal was to clear himself, right?

Then several other things fell into place. Pipeman from the Stride killing. The offer of Her Majesty's Gracious Pardon. Abberline's strangely naive "belief" in Hutchinson's improbable tale (Was he playing "good cop" trying to soothe George's fears so he would tell on his associate?). Jack's uncanny ability to focus completely on what he was doing and yet be aware enough of his surroundings to get away in time.

I don't know what kind of hold JTR would have had on Hutchinson in order to make him act as lookout and keep his mouth shut. It would have had to be something substantial.

Will I fight to the death for this theory? Not really. But I would like to bat it around.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,
The Hutchinson saga is complex, to start with Mrs kennedy/ Sarah Lewis appear to be the same person, their statements are identical.
It would appear that this woman saw Mjk, and a young man as she entered dorset street, with another person [ hutchinson] in the shadows.
She appears to have been rather confused possibly calling Hutchinson stout when she proberly meant Kelly.
In my opinion she witnessed the same event as Hutchinson but paid less eyecatching detail.
The police surely after Hutchinsons reported sighting would have contacted the said woman to see if she could identify the man in the shadows as GH, so that both statements could be verified.
Regards Richard.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 7:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

If Hutchinson's description was a total fantasy, he couldn't have been hoping for a reward by coming forward, because the police could hardly find a man who didn't exist.

So going along with your idea for a moment, and assuming that Hutchinson was in league with the devil, it might make sense if he was scared of what the police would conclude if he didn't come forward, and was later identified as someone who had been loitering outside MJK's room for 45 minutes on the murder night; but even more scared of how the devil would reward him if he gave an accurate description to the boys in blue. He could have felt himself to be between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Alternatively, Hutchinson may merely have been in league with MJK's latest client, never dreaming he was the very devil until he heard about the horror and put two and two together. Feeling bad that he had not given Mary's safety with this man a second thought, he seems to have tried to give a different impression when questioned, let down by his admitted failure to check on her before finally leaving the court.

He could still have feared the man's revenge, if he gave an accurate description, more than he feared giving the police a false one. He may have decided that his safest course of action was to come forward for two reasons: to pre-empt the police coming to him; and to send a clear message that Hutch was no grass:

"Look mister, I don't want no trouble. And you won't get none from me, from what I told the cops."

Love,

Caz
X

Congrats on the birth of your first grandchild! I can't wait to have one - no morning sickness, and you get to hand baby back to mum when you need a break!

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana, same thoughts have been through my mind several times.

Still, I can't fit the bits of the pussle together to my satisfaction..

Another piece of my scenario was that Jack and Hutch might have been pals since the Emma Smith incident, i.e both then part of one of the whitechapel gangs.

Thus a certain camaraderie and unspoken loyalty might have been at work.

But I don't really convince myself here..

Helge
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation.

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Alot of theories revolve around an acomplise. I think it is posible that Jack had help. I think to much is being made of Hutchinson not going to the police sooner. Alot of witnesses never come forward because they do not want to get involved. I feel that is the situation with Hutchinson.

Hutchinson may of had more to do with Kelly then has been revealed, but I doubt he had anything to do with the ripper murders. Original thought Diana. Who knows?

Your friend,Brad

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.