Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Bad Year For The Roses - 1888 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Bad Year For The Roses - 1888 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In May of 1888 a smouldering fire destroyed many important documents at the old Scotland-Yard - although the Met assured the public that they had copies and the ‘Black Museum’ had survived - and at the new Scotland-Yard the foundation stones were laid down with the dismembered remains of a female murder victim.
Ring out the old and bring in the new.

I do wonder in how many other years Scotland-Yard suffered a major blaze in which many records could have been destroyed and then had a murder victim rammed into their very foundations?
Not many I reckon.
Even without Jack this is worthy of note.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very instructive AP -a sort of "revelling" in the macabre! Makes you realise that if the ripper was Thomas Cutbush he may have thought his uncle Charles would appreciate his efforts at adding to the museums artefacts ---a bit like a cat proudly laying before its owner its mutilated prey!

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Natalie
well whoever stuffed that torso into the vaults of New Scotland Yard had to scale an eight foot fence carrying that torso; and I do know someone who was a dab hand at scaling eight foot walls and fences.
The scenario you offer is perfectly delightful, and I wish I could evidence it.
The fire in the old, and the torso in the new, are of vast interest though.
I'm still looking.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fires up the old imagination all this.Suppose
Thomas was summoned by bells[a bit like Joan of Arc]only in his case the " Whitechapel" ones!
Maybe one set of peels started up the pyromania , another the dismemberment fetish and a third the need to get it all "on display"!
And think of the kudos he might have thought would ensue...to have his work on show in that museum so dear to his Uncle"s heart!....poor love!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.