Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Gunthorpe Street Demolition Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Gunthorpe Street Demolition « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sad news everyone.

I walked down Gunthorpe Street with my group on Sunday and all was fine. I walked down it the following night (last night) and I am very sorry to say another part of Jack's London has gone.

The old brick wall opposite the side wall of The White Hart was demolished yesterday, out of the blue. It's completely gone, up to the end wall of the old fabric dyeing company, and covered over with a hoarding. Huge clumps of it are propping the hoarding up, but they are about 18" across and far too big to take away.

I am gutted. Hopefully someone will be able to tell us the wall wasn't there in 1888, but I bet it was!

PHILIP

Gone Wall
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What!

My favourite alley! Very disturbing news, Hutch. Do you know why, and what they will put there instead?
Well, as long as the don't tear down the nice row of cottages further down on the same side -- or the White Hart pub...

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4701
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 8:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is sad, Philip. I wish they'd leave alone what little remains to us.

Still, if I know you you're negotiating to purchase one of the bricks as I type.

Robert

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Careful there! A fellow in Chicago snatched up several bricks from the garage in which the St. Valentine's Day Massacre occurred as that structure was demolished years ago. For the rest of his life he had nothing but bad luck. which he attributed to his gruesome souvenir. Funny thing is that at that time -- he still had not gotten rid of the bricks!

Andy S.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip

Thanks for informing us about this. It is indeed sad to see the old authentic parts of Jack's London disappearing. sad

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
See "Jack--The Musical" by Chris George & Erik Sitbon
The Drama of Jack the Ripper Weekend
Charlotte, NC, September 16-18, 2005
http://www.actorssceneunseen.com/ripper.asp

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn - 'cottages'??? I suspect you are talking about the old factory just beyond the wall. No cottages there. No way. No idea what they will be putting up there. The area behind is not big enough for a new building. I suspect they are just replacing the wall with a new one, or giving transport access to it.

Robert - You do indeed 'know me', but why would I negotiate when I could just run along and steal one? Not that I will be. Now, if the doorway on Goulston Street... no... though I would like Winston Ramsey's George Yard gate, but apparently Andy Aliffe tells me he's already got first dibs on that.

I've got some glass from a window in Ed Gein's farmhouse. I wonder if I actually have the bad luck right now or if I'm OK and just have a crappy life?

PHILIP

Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, Philip,

I just thought they looked a bit like the old row of cottages on Buck's Row and didn't know how to describe them. Me and English architecture... bloody hell, don't mind me. Especially when I'm drunk.
Well, anyway... you know what I was thinking about.

"I've got some glass from a window in Ed Gein's farmhouse."

Oh boy, eBay again, old chum...?

All the best

G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.